Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Guitar Hero 5

+2
potatojoe
Gojiratoho
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Guitar Hero 5 Empty Guitar Hero 5 Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:44 am

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

So I realized that GH5 came out yesterday and on a whim I bought it. I'm really glad I did. The game has more of a Rock Band feel to it, but is still distinctly GH. It also feels much more polished than World Tour (which honestly felt a bit rushed, especially the problems with the drum kit) I need to retune my drums, so I haven't tried them out yet, but the guitar play is excellent. The addition of challenges for songs for either instruments or the whole band is also a nice touch (like filling the Star Power meter x amount of times, whammying on sustain notes for x amount of seconds, maintaining a specific multiplyer for x amount of seconds, scoring x amount of points while in Star Power mode, etc). Also, the difficulty is either a little more forgiving or I'm better at the game than I thought I was. Plus the simple addition of a motion blur to the graphics is in a word amazing. the crowd doesn't look like they cut and pasted the same sprite 200 times (ok, it does but the random blur hides it much better)The action on stage looks way more realistic.

Some of the RB similarities are:
Individual Star Power, so now if you fail, the whole band doesn't.
Importing songs from GH:WT. $3 and I have the songs available, plus all my downloads import for free
Star level track. There is now a progress bar that shows when you are about to hit the next level for the song (1-5)

The coolest new feature however is the fact you can play the same instrument up to 4 times, so you can have 4 singers on a song (though considering the average joe's singing voice, it might not be fun to listen to). The only drawback to this, as my brother pointed out, is that if you miss a note and another player hits it, you don't always realze you've screwed up.

There is also a limited offer of a free copy of GH: Van Halen, which really is a steal. I picked up the copy with guitar (because I hate the GH:3 guitar), so for 100 clams I'll get a controller and 2 games.

My only real pet peeve so far is I have to mail away for a sticker sheet that should have been packaged in the box, and I have to wait 6-8 weeks for it. Jerks.

If you like the GH series, I recommend picking this one up.

2Guitar Hero 5 Empty Re: Guitar Hero 5 Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:01 pm

potatojoe

potatojoe
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I like the Guitar Hero series but I'm going with Rock Band this time around for the Flipping Beatles! That is a steal of a deal for two games for the price of one

3Guitar Hero 5 Empty Re: Guitar Hero 5 Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:17 am

Metal Misfit

Metal Misfit
Zombie
Zombie

DARNITALLTOHECK!!!

I totally forgot this was coming out. I knew it was September, but didn't realize it was so soon and I just blew $80 on ordering music online last night too. Man, I wanted to get GH:VH when I pre-ordered too... angry

http://metalmisfit.wordpress.com

4Guitar Hero 5 Empty Re: Guitar Hero 5 Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:17 am

TheUnalteredOne

TheUnalteredOne
Cadet
Cadet

Just fixed my Rock Band drums. I'm ready for some Beatles!!!

Gamertag: TheUnaltered0ne (0ne spelled with a zer0. cuz i couldn't get back my original one)

5Guitar Hero 5 Empty Re: Guitar Hero 5 Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:53 am

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Metal Misfit wrote:DARNITALLTOHECK!!!

I totally forgot this was coming out. I knew it was September, but didn't realize it was so soon and I just blew $80 on ordering music online last night too. Man, I wanted to get GH:VH when I pre-ordered too... angry

I think they are running that deal till October 1st...possibly "or while supplies last" as well though.

6Guitar Hero 5 Empty Re: Guitar Hero 5 Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:04 am

Metal Misfit

Metal Misfit
Zombie
Zombie

Gojiratoho wrote:
I think they are running that deal till October 1st...possibly "or while supplies last" as well though.

yes

I was going to wait a week and a half until the next paycheck rolled around, but screw it, I'm going to use my Walmart credit card and pick this up later today. I'll have the next 2 days to play nonstop.

7Guitar Hero 5 Empty Re: Guitar Hero 5 Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:05 pm

Ben Akers

Ben Akers
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Choosing Beatles: Rock Band or Guitar Hero 5 is such a tough decision.

I think I'm gonna go with the GH5 though.

8Guitar Hero 5 Empty Re: Guitar Hero 5 Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:41 pm

Metal Misfit

Metal Misfit
Zombie
Zombie

This game's set list is awful, but I kinda knew that going in. I wish they would get back more to rock/metal songs. Y'know, so the game can actually live up to its name. I hope with Band Hero coming out, any future Guitar Hero games will have a stronger focus on guitar-centric songs.

It's GH though, so even if I don't care for the songs much, it's still fun to play. Besides, getting GH:VH for free more than makes up for any problems I have with GH5.

9Guitar Hero 5 Empty Re: Guitar Hero 5 Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:56 pm

Esbat

Esbat
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

There is a 5??? What happened to 4?

http://realityfugitives.com/

10Guitar Hero 5 Empty Re: Guitar Hero 5 Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:25 pm

Metal Misfit

Metal Misfit
Zombie
Zombie

neutral

It came out last year.

11Guitar Hero 5 Empty Re: Guitar Hero 5 Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:41 am

Esbat

Esbat
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Metal Misfit wrote:neutral

It came out last year.
It's annual? Wow. I am way out of the loop on this game.

http://realityfugitives.com/

12Guitar Hero 5 Empty Re: Guitar Hero 5 Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:34 am

Metal Misfit

Metal Misfit
Zombie
Zombie

It's basically quarterly with all the spinoffs they do. Very Happy

This year alone:
Guitar Hero: Metallica
Guitar Hero Smash Hits (Compilation of songs from GH 1-3 & GH: Aerosmith)
Guitar Hero 5
Guitar Hero: Van Halen

That's just consoles! Then there's Guitar Hero on Tour: Modern Hits for the portables and Guitar Hero Arcade.

THEN this year will also introduce what I guess will basically be stand alone franchises: Band Hero and DJ Hero.

The series is great, it's addicting, but they really are putting out too much at once. I think by this time next year, pretty much everyone is going to say "New Guitar Hero? So what?" The backlash is already building against the brand.

I think it would be fine if they only did one band-specific release (but only if the band is truly legendary and has stood the test of time-- no Guitar Hero: Nickelback or Guitar Hero: Fall Out Boy) and one sequel to the main series per year.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum