The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

LOOKIT WHAT I JUST GOT!...show off your SCORE! (Official DVD Purchases Thread)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 39  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 39]

supervenom

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
whats wrong with Don Cheadle?

View user profile

TENIME_art

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Joshua wrote:
TENIME_art wrote:
I hate Don Cheadle, but I'm still going to see Iron Man 2. I still love Rush Hour 2.

I disliked Denzel Washington before I saw Deja Vu. If I let flaws ruin things for me, I never would've seen the movie in the first place, and I wouldn't now love Denzel.
To be fair, those really aren't flaws. tongue

How would an actor you dislike being in a movie not be a flaw of the movie? If you say "I loved that movie - except for that one person/character", how does that not make the actor or character a flaw?


supervenom wrote:whats wrong with Don Cheadle?

I don't think he's a very good actor, and I find him annoying.

View user profile

superdoug

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
TENIME_art wrote:
supervenom wrote:whats wrong with Don Cheadle?

I don't think he's a very good actor, and he's annoying.


I have the same complaint about Don Cheadle, Denzel Washington, Samuel Jackson, and Morgan Freeman.

While they enjoyed variety early in their careers, all they ever play nowadays is the same character in every movie. EVERY MOVIE.


Don Cheadle -- A husband, father, or man who is pushed by circumstances to rise up and become something strong while exhibiting no physical strength (or acting variety) whatsoever.

Denzel Washington -- A man on the edge who's suddenly thrust into a story of intrigue and political drama that will somehow threaten his, his family's, or someone he's supposed to protect's life.

Samuel L. Jackson -- Bad-ass black man.

Morgan Freeman -- Soft-spoken black man who turns out to be really bad-ass.

View user profile

Joshua

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
TENIME_art wrote:
How would an actor you dislike being in a movie not be a flaw of the movie?
I guess it depends on the reason why one dislikes the actor, so it could go either way.

View user profile

TENIME_art

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Why would the reason make it different?

She's ugly, I don't like his voice, he cries funny, she can't sing - they're all flaws... :huh

View user profile

Joshua

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
TENIME_art wrote:
She's ugly, I don't like his voice, he cries funny, she can't sing - they're all flaws... :huh
The difference is some people are unable to separate the actor from the person . I don't like Alec Baldwin. I think he's an arrogant, loudmouth moonbat. I would never let those preconceived personal feelings interfere with the fact that the man is a solid actor; he's funny, he's charming, and I don't think I've ever seen him in a role I didn't enjoy. It would be immature to say that his very presence besmirches a movie. Not enjoying an actor because they're an unconvincing or poor actor? Fine. Not enjoying an actor because you think they're ugly or have an unconventional laugh? Seems awfully shallow and myopic.

View user profile

TENIME_art

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Guess I'm shallow and myopic, then.

I don't judge actors on their personality. You're right, that's dumb. I love Brad Pitt's acting. He could be a giant douche in real life for all I know. Should that keep me from seeing his movies? No.

As for letting flaws like annoying voices make my decisions for me: I find Eddie Murphy's laugh annoying, but I still like (some of) his movies. I can look past that flaw.

But why do I have to look past every flaw period? (Hell, by that reasoning, why doesn't everyone love the Wolverine movie? If I'm such a half-sighted person, and I like it, what does that make people that hate it with a passion? Why can't you ignore all those flaws?)

But why would I want to listen to someone's voice that annoyed me? (In my personal life, or in entertainment?) How is it entertaining or enjoyable if I'd rather stab my eardrums than listen to somebody, or if I find their physical appearance so upsetting that I'd rather stab my eyes out than look at them? People use "bad CGI" or "crappy composing" as a reason to hate movies. Isn't that the same thing? If you can't bear to look at a fake image or stand to listen to bad orchestral work, that's okay (I am not saying you said that, but those are common complaints I hear from damn near everyone on message boards about countless movies), but if you can't bear to look at an actor's face or body, that's wrong? I agree you shouldn't judge friends or significant others on those things, but cosmetics and/or audio should be an important factor in visual entertainment.

I don't see why that's such a bad thing.

Would you listen to a song you hate, just because the lyrics are meaningful? Why would you torture yourself? How is it shallow to dislike the song because the singer irritates you, or the musicians don't play their instruments the way you like? Oh, but the lyrics are great, so you're shortsighted if you can't get past the music & singing. Rolling Eyes

View user profile

Administrator


Administrator
Administrator
You can overcome what you see as the problems of 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine', but I personally couldn't accept the movie as a good one because of the same problems or others that bothered me. While I don't "hate it with a passion", I just don't like it and think it was a low point in the X-Men franchise, even when considering 'X-Men 3: The Last Stand' (and I really loathed that one).

I hope that the sequel will save the character and the franchise, and if the rumors are true and Gavin Hood won't return - I already feel much better about it. I also hope that the Deadpool movie will do him a greater justice than this horrible thing done to Wade in 'Wolverine'.

View user profile http://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

TENIME_art

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Totally forgot about this until ComboMo mentioned it on WUMB...

Blockbuster Video, 4 DVDs for $20. Got these Monday:




View user profile

Administrator


Administrator
Administrator
That's... a lot of gore.

View user profile http://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

TENIME_art

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Laughing

I wasn't even thinking like that, but you're right!

View user profile

supervenom

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Tomer Soiker wrote:That's... a lot of gore.
ooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh Wink

View user profile

TENIME_art

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja


Best. And. Most. Fucked. Up. Movie. Ever.

View user profile

Joshua

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja



View user profile

TENIME_art

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I've never seen Brassed Off. How is it? I love Ewan McGregor...

(And Sunshine is really as good as everyone says it is? :huh)

View user profile

Joshua

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
TENIME_art wrote:I've never seen Brassed Off. How is it? I love Ewan McGregor...

(And Sunshine is really as good as everyone says it is? :huh)
Well, to answer both of your questions, I bought the movies, so clearly I think they're worth owning. Wink

View user profile

Administrator


Administrator
Administrator
TENIME_art wrote:
(And Sunshine is really as good as everyone says it is? :huh)
You said you're not fond of "real life drama" in fiction, but the two leads (and basically, the whole small cast) are doing a great job to make it worthwhile.

View user profile http://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

TENIME_art

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
But doesn't it have a sci-fi element to it? They're trying to land on the Sun or something? Laughing

Drama is in everything. Otherwise, everything would be boring. I just need the extra element like comedy or horror to make the drama more enjoyable.

View user profile

44 Your Latest DVD Buys on Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:33 am

BlueMaxx

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I thought we had a thread on here for that, but maybe not? Sorry if someone already made one. We need a thread search in each forum.

Anyways...

Zack and Miri Make a Porno. Gonna watch this tonight.

Pathfinder. Cheap, and it looked fun.

Samantha Darko. It's cheapness made me give into it. I know, I shouldn't suppport crappy sequels, but it might be good. *Crosses fingers but doesn't raise hopes.*

View user profile

MillionDollarGeek

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Green Lantern First Flight. Its still wrapped up and I been meaning to see it, but just been too busy with work and stuff.

View user profile

shining knight

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Samantha Darko. It's cheapness made me give into it. I know, I shouldn't suppport crappy sequels, but it might be good. *Crosses fingers but doesn't raise hopes.*

ugggghhhh

View user profile

Administrator


Administrator
Administrator
We do have a thread for that. Merged*.

(* Been a while since I used that word...)

View user profile http://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

Administrator


Administrator
Administrator
Sopranos Season 1
The Wire Season 1

View user profile http://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

TENIME_art

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
$15 each at Wal-Mart:




$10 at Wal-Mart:


Full price (but on "release-week-sale"):

View user profile

Joshua

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Just discovered today that the Disney animation Blu-ray releases include a standard DVD, so I just ordered from Amazon:




$10 off Snow White if you enter the promotional code SNOWHITE.

View user profile

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 39]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 39  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum