The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thunderbolts

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1 Thunderbolts on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:09 am

Administrator


Administrator
Administrator

View user profile http://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

2 Re: Thunderbolts on Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:01 pm

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I'm a little worried about this book under Jeff Parker. Apparently his first story arc is the Thunderbolts vs Agents of Atlas. I understand that Agents of Atlas had a small but devoted audience but geez I would have thought a new writer starting on a book might want to do something other than shoehorn his old book into the new one.

View user profile

3 Re: Thunderbolts on Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:26 am

What's the difference? The book is full of C and D-level characters at this point all around.

View user profile http://metalmisfit.wordpress.com

4 Re: Thunderbolts on Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:33 am

prescribeddrone

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I just dropped this, but if Jeff's arc is good maybe I'll get the trade.

View user profile

5 Re: Thunderbolts on Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:17 pm

andy546

avatar
Cadet
Cadet
When Andy Diggle moved on the book, I left it alone. Mark Miller's run was amazing.

View user profile

6 Re: Thunderbolts on Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:37 pm

Joshua

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
andy546 wrote:When Andy Diggle moved on the book, I left it alone. Mark Miller's run was amazing.
Millar has never written the Thunderbolts...

As for Jeff Parker, he's the only reason I even plan to read Thunderbolts again (which I dropped early into Fabian Nicieza's run). I eagerly look forward to the TPB.

View user profile

7 Re: Thunderbolts on Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:21 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Aussiemandias wrote:I'm a little worried about this book under Jeff Parker. Apparently his first story arc is the Thunderbolts vs Agents of Atlas. I understand that Agents of Atlas had a small but devoted audience but geez I would have thought a new writer starting on a book might want to do something other than shoehorn his old book into the new one.

I think he just really loves the characters so I can't really blame him for wanting to include them. And as a fan of both books, I would love to see a T-bolts/AoA showdown. Smile

View user profile

8 Re: Thunderbolts on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:15 pm

andy546

avatar
Cadet
Cadet
Joshua wrote:
andy546 wrote:When Andy Diggle moved on the book, I left it alone. Mark Miller's run was amazing.
Millar has never written the Thunderbolts...

As for Jeff Parker, he's the only reason I even plan to read Thunderbolts again (which I dropped early into Fabian Nicieza's run). I eagerly look forward to the TPB.

Sorry... I ment Warren Ellis. I somehow got the two mixed up

View user profile

9 Re: Thunderbolts on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:27 pm

rwe1138

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
#138 was kind of boring. But it seems like Parker's got a good handle on the characters, so hopefully it'll pick up next issue.


------------------------------------
Robert Eddleman
View user profile http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

10 Re: Thunderbolts on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:52 pm

shiky800

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
rwe1138 wrote:#138 was kind of boring. But it seems like Parker's got a good handle on the characters, so hopefully it'll pick up next issue.
if not i will drop this book

View user profile

11 Re: Thunderbolts on Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:27 pm

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
rwe1138 wrote:#138 was kind of boring. But it seems like Parker's got a good handle on the characters, so hopefully it'll pick up next issue.
Yep I thought it was very ordinary and now I'm concerned. And while I think he may have the characters sounding about right I thought he was lacking the sense of humour Diggle had with them. I don't know I just found something very unengaging about the way this was written.

And I still think if your first move as a writer on a new book is to bring in the characters from the previous book you were writing then which characters are you actually committed to? There's a real risk the Thunderbolts characters will become the supporting characters.

View user profile

12 Re: Thunderbolts on Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:40 am

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Thunderbolts #138

Wow, I'm seeing lots of negative reviews on this book. While I wasn't the biggest fan of that double sized issue last month, I enjoyed this. I was a fairly simple story but it showed the lack of trust and continuity within the team. I think the point of this issue is that the Thunderbolts are set for a downfall. I enjoyed this issue like one would a b-movie. There's no stars. There's perhaps really no point. But it was mindless, senseless, pleasure.

This is Jeff Parker's book. And I think he knows his niche of fans. Do you think most of his AOA followers also bought Thunderbolts? It would make sense if they did. I guess there's no scientific proof of this, but I enjoyed the transition of this issue towards the next arc. The Thunderbolts got together, got out in the field of battle after not doing much, and got prepared and set-up for this battle against AoA. What's wrong with that? And as long as these covers are this beautiful, it's going to be awfully difficult to drop this book. Let's see what happens.

3.5/5 Thunderbolts - Good transition story

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

13 Re: Thunderbolts on Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:03 am

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Aussiemandias wrote:I'm a little worried about this book under Jeff Parker. Apparently his first story arc is the Thunderbolts vs Agents of Atlas. I understand that Agents of Atlas had a small but devoted audience but geez I would have thought a new writer starting on a book might want to do something other than shoehorn his old book into the new one.

I think he just really loves the characters so I can't really blame him for wanting to include them. And as a fan of both books, I would love to see a T-bolts/AoA showdown. Smile

I have to agree with Aussie. Personally, I fear this will turn into a AoA glorification title. Expect the AoA to go town on the Thunderbolts with snarky comments from a certain gorilla, and girl Namor acting like Namor but due to a lack of stuck-up-edness, it's sweet delicious sass. hmm


Yeah, I'm not a fan of AoA and anything they show up in. I can't care for the characters and whenever I read their series or when they show up in another, I feel as "their awesomeness according to Parker" is being jammed down my throat. shake my head

View user profile

14 Re: Thunderbolts on Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:50 am

rwe1138

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
LOOSECANNON wrote:Thunderbolts #138

I think the point of this issue is that the Thunderbolts are set for a downfall.
But we've known that for awhile now. To dedicate a whole issue to it seems pointless.


------------------------------------
Robert Eddleman
View user profile http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

15 Re: Thunderbolts on Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:03 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Yeah, I guess the point was to have this new team of Z-listers fight together and be prepared before a "real" battle. Not that taking on conga armies in Venezuela is easy, but you know Very Happy

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

16 Re: Thunderbolts on Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:11 pm

shiky800

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
i thought this issue was pretty good.

View user profile

17 Re: Thunderbolts on Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:11 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:
Aussiemandias wrote:I'm a little worried about this book under Jeff Parker. Apparently his first story arc is the Thunderbolts vs Agents of Atlas. I understand that Agents of Atlas had a small but devoted audience but geez I would have thought a new writer starting on a book might want to do something other than shoehorn his old book into the new one.

I think he just really loves the characters so I can't really blame him for wanting to include them. And as a fan of both books, I would love to see a T-bolts/AoA showdown. Smile

I have to agree with Aussie. Personally, I fear this will turn into a AoA glorification title. Expect the AoA to go town on the Thunderbolts with snarky comments from a certain gorilla, and girl Namor acting like Namor but due to a lack of stuck-up-edness, it's sweet delicious sass. hmm


Yeah, I'm not a fan of AoA and anything they show up in. I can't care for the characters and whenever I read their series or when they show up in another, I feel as "their awesomeness according to Parker" is being jammed down my throat. shake my head

Gotta disagree with you big time Wade. I loved the Agents book, it was so different from most other superhero books on the stands right now. Just my opinion of course. Smile

View user profile

18 Re: Thunderbolts on Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:13 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Thunderbolts #138

I thought this was a solid set up issue for Jeff Parker, nothing spectacular but he's just getting his feet wet with the team. But I still enjoyed the gratuitous violence in the jungles of South America lol. I'm liking the make up of this team so far, Mister X is a freakin unstoppable killer and Ant-Man is a great comic relief. He and Paladin are so out of place on this team yet they still work somehow. Personally, I'm glad we're gonna see Thunderbolts vs Agents of Atlas next arc...Parker really knows those characters so the showdown should be epic.

View user profile

19 Re: Thunderbolts on Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:12 am

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:
Yeah, I'm not a fan of AoA and anything they show up in. I can't care for the characters and whenever I read their series or when they show up in another, I feel as "their awesomeness according to Parker" is being jammed down my throat. shake my head
You pretty much summed up my thoughts on them here too. Guess it looks like we've got some real divided opinions on Parker's first issue. Good for discussion! Wink

View user profile

20 Re: Thunderbolts on Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:45 am

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:
Aussiemandias wrote:I'm a little worried about this book under Jeff Parker. Apparently his first story arc is the Thunderbolts vs Agents of Atlas. I understand that Agents of Atlas had a small but devoted audience but geez I would have thought a new writer starting on a book might want to do something other than shoehorn his old book into the new one.

I think he just really loves the characters so I can't really blame him for wanting to include them. And as a fan of both books, I would love to see a T-bolts/AoA showdown. Smile

I have to agree with Aussie. Personally, I fear this will turn into a AoA glorification title. Expect the AoA to go town on the Thunderbolts with snarky comments from a certain gorilla, and girl Namor acting like Namor but due to a lack of stuck-up-edness, it's sweet delicious sass. hmm


Yeah, I'm not a fan of AoA and anything they show up in. I can't care for the characters and whenever I read their series or when they show up in another, I feel as "their awesomeness according to Parker" is being jammed down my throat. shake my head

Gotta disagree with you big time Wade. I loved the Agents book, it was so different from most other superhero books on the stands right now. Just my opinion of course. Smile

It's all good. I know alot of people liked him and maybe I'll like him when he's doing someone else other than AoA (like I was with Pak and Hulk - I was not fan of some of his stuff but love his Hercules series (and his take on Spider0man when he showed up in Hercules)). Different folks different strokes. Laughing

Aussiemandias wrote:
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:
Yeah, I'm not a fan of AoA and anything they show up in. I can't care for the characters and whenever I read their series or when they show up in another, I feel as "their awesomeness according to Parker" is being jammed down my throat. shake my head
You pretty much summed up my thoughts on them here too. Guess it looks like we've got some real divided opinions on Parker's first issue. Good for discussion! Wink

Indeed. I'll check it out and hope he does a good job with this one, but I'm wary of what is to come when he takes the helm.

View user profile

21 Re: Thunderbolts on Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:02 pm

rwe1138

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
#139 was decent. Ant-Man gets the best lines, natch, and Scourge's reaction to Venus's powers was interesting. I'm not a huge A0A fan though, so their appearance did nothing for me.


------------------------------------
Robert Eddleman
View user profile http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

22 Re: Thunderbolts on Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:59 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Thunderbolts #137 & #138

Just read these earlier this week. #137 was just meh. It didn't really do much for me. I love Iron Fist and Luke Cage, but I was kinda bored by the issue. Also, I'm getting a little tired of the inconsistencies with Iron Fist's costume. He got a new one yet he is still draw in his old one quite often.

#138 was better IMO. I love this team even though I had no exposure to any of the characters prior to them joining Thunderbolts (except for Ant-Man, I LOVED Irredeemable Ant-Man and his short tenure in Avengers: The Initiative). I love all the back stabbing going on. I hope that Parker can do as well as Ellis and Diggle before him. I think based on his first issue that he has the potential to do great.

View user profile

23 Re: Thunderbolts on Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:02 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Thunderbolts #139

I know a lot of you jumped off this with the turnoff-for-some that was Thunderbolts #137, and then many of you complained about the no-name cast in #138. Well, I'm here to tell you that this book, despite no NAMES (other than the Agents of Atlas, if you even consider them names, considering their book got relegated to back-up status), is just fun. The quips from Ant-Man are well adjusted, Paladin thinks he's a lot more dangerous than he really is, Skourge is a lot smarter than we all think, and Mr. X is David Caradine, resurrected. The battle between this group and that of Jimmy Woo's ends up one of the year's best. Panel for panel, this fight is active and robust, full of surprise, and with satisfactory results. What does this all do for the Thunderbolts as a crew? It certainly doesn't help them sell comics; if anything, it disassembles them. All of this enjoyment of these "nameless" foes will pay off come Seige. I can't wait.

4/5 - Surprise of the week?

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

24 Re: Thunderbolts on Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:24 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Thunderbolts #139

I loved it. I'm still really digging this book. I love the cast. The fact that other than Ant-Man I didn't know these characters prior to this book is kinda nice. I get to discover them while reading.

I know nothing of the Agents of Atlas, but I liked them here.

View user profile

25 Re: Thunderbolts on Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:08 am

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Thunderbolts #139

I was a big fan of Jeff Parker's Agents of Atlas book, so this is right up my alley. Parker is doing a great job with the Thunderbolts team dynamic just like he did with the AoA team. The part with Scourge losing it at the end was crazy! Purple guts? huh

View user profile

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum