The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thunderbolts

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

26 Re: Thunderbolts on Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:59 pm

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Well, I'm afraid I'm just not enjoying Jeff Parker's work here. I don't think he writes with any of the cleverness of the previous writers on this book - Diggle and Ellis (not Gage or even Remender's one shot that didn't even come close). He's certainly going for the same feel but, for me, he's nowhere near as good.

I also can't stand writers who have the characters explain what they're doing as they're doing it as Parker has Mister X do in this issue. It's really poor and lazy writing. There is no reason Mister X would openly explain his powers to someone while attacking them. In fact, it would give his opponent enough information to defeat him which is exactly what happens in this issue. That is bad, bad writing - Mister X, as a professional killer, just wouldn't do that. I can't see how anyone could justify that as good writing.

On top of that I'm not liking the art. So that means I'm dropping this book. It annoys me because this was one of my favourites for a long time.

LOOSECANNON wrote:Thunderbolts #139
I know a lot of you jumped off this with the turnoff-for-some that was Thunderbolts #137, and then many of you complained about the no-name cast in #138.
I don't think I've seen anyone complaining about the no name cast.

View user profile

27 Re: Thunderbolts on Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:28 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Aussiemandias wrote:I also can't stand writers who have the characters explain what they're doing as they're doing it as Parker has Mister X do in this issue. It's really poor and lazy writing. There is no reason Mister X would openly explain his powers to someone while attacking them. In fact, it would give his opponent enough information to defeat him which is exactly what happens in this issue. That is bad, bad writing - Mister X, as a professional killer, just wouldn't do that. I can't see how anyone could justify that as good writing.
Well Diggle established Mister X as one cocky, overconfidant, arrogant SOB...so I kinda just took that as him displaying some of those traits. *shrugs*

View user profile

28 Re: Thunderbolts on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:27 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
I think it's in part of his personality that Mr. X has got way too much swagger by calculating his moves...i've seen this in movies and it's not that far off from some of those baddies we see in martial arts movies...I don't think you can take any of these Thunderbolts seriously....

and a lot of my comments are in response to reviews across the web as well as the IGN.com forum (since I often post my review at various outlets)...so if I state something like "some of you are complaining" it might not be this forum LOL

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

29 Re: Thunderbolts on Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:29 am

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
LOOSECANNON wrote:
and a lot of my comments are in response to reviews across the web as well as the IGN.com forum (since I often post my review at various outlets)...so if I state something like "some of you are complaining" it might not be this forum LOL
Oh got ya. That makes sense then.

I'm not really with either of you guys on your Mister X thinking though. I totally get that he's supremely confident and has a swagger about him but I think the professional that he is he wouldn't be explaining how his power works in the middle of a fight. I could definitely see him saying to Namorita that he can predict her moves and even make out that it's because she's so obvious or something but letting her know that his powers are telepathic just seems a bit stupid. Unfortunately I think Jeff Parker is a bit old school in his writing where characters explain everything they're doing while they're doing it. Anyway, that's just my view. As I say I'm not a fan so I think I'll be leaving this title until another writer comes on board.

View user profile

30 Re: Thunderbolts on Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:56 am

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Aussiemandias wrote:
LOOSECANNON wrote:
and a lot of my comments are in response to reviews across the web as well as the IGN.com forum (since I often post my review at various outlets)...so if I state something like "some of you are complaining" it might not be this forum LOL
Oh got ya. That makes sense then.

I'm not really with either of you guys on your Mister X thinking though. I totally get that he's supremely confident and has a swagger about him but I think the professional that he is he wouldn't be explaining how his power works in the middle of a fight. I could definitely see him saying to Namorita that he can predict her moves and even make out that it's because she's so obvious or something but letting her know that his powers are telepathic just seems a bit stupid. Unfortunately I think Jeff Parker is a bit old school in his writing where characters explain everything they're doing while they're doing it. Anyway, that's just my view. As I say I'm not a fan so I think I'll be leaving this title until another writer comes on board.
That's a shame, but everyone's got an opinion I guess. I've really liked the stuff I've read from him like Agents of Atlas and the Dark Reign: The Hood mini.

View user profile

31 Re: Thunderbolts on Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:51 am

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Jeff Parker's been near-flawless for me other than the crappy first Thunderbolts book with the "dead" Iron Fist and Luke Cage.

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

32 Re: Thunderbolts on Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:46 am

rwe1138

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
LOOSECANNON wrote:Jeff Parker's been near-flawless for me other than the crappy first Thunderbolts book with the "dead" Iron Fist and Luke Cage.
You mean #137? That was written by Rick Remender.


------------------------------------
Robert Eddleman
View user profile http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

33 Re: Thunderbolts on Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:04 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
ohh yea that's right...I like Rick Remender, but oh well.

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

34 Re: Thunderbolts on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:14 pm

rwe1138

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
I think #140 was the best issue since Parker took over. Fantastic ending. To quote River from Serenity:

Spoiler:
"Bullet to the brain pan. Squish."


------------------------------------
Robert Eddleman
View user profile http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

35 Re: Thunderbolts on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:30 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Thunderbolts #140

This was a good issue. We got to see a lot of the T-bolts issues, unfortunately one reveal means nothing for the character because he is going home in a body bag. I wonder what reprecusions there will be for Bob about that. Agents of Atlas is definately getting a lot more exposure, but I was glad to see how self serving ghost really is in this issue. Can't wait to see how Siege goes for this team, I think there will definately be an ALL NEW T-bolts at the end of it.

View user profile

36 Re: Thunderbolts on Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:01 am

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Thunderbolts #140

C vs. D-List at it's finest. So, far, it's true Thunderbolts has served as a base for Parker to tell his Agents of Atlas stories. I won't front on that scepticism. However, he's written two steller back-to-back issues involving some really odd teams in odds just before the Seige. The ending also made me pretty speechless, but in hindsight, does it really make a lot of sense? Think of his name. Think of how that name relates to the Seige. Ahhh...accident or not? I could just be looking too far into it, but hell why not.

3.5/5 - Another really enjoyable book with a buzz-worthy ending. Terrific battle sequences too.

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

37 Re: Thunderbolts on Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:54 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Issue #140 was okay. I think it was a little to Agents of Atlas heavy, but still good. I'm PISSED about Headsman, just PISSED. I liked him.

View user profile

38 Re: Thunderbolts on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:18 pm

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
rwe1138 wrote:I think #140 was the best issue since Parker took over. Fantastic ending.
This was the first Parker issue I've really liked and, yeah, it was a totally great ending. I think I'll hold off cancelling for now. Anyway, I suspect there's pretty big changes in store here in the coming months.

I have a pretty good feeling that Songbird and some of the older characters may come back after Siege.

View user profile

39 Re: Thunderbolts on Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:24 pm

Esbat

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Oh man I think O'Grady would fit right in with Songbird's Tbolts.

View user profile http://realityfugitives.com/

40 Re: Thunderbolts on Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:53 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Aussiemandias wrote:
rwe1138 wrote:I think #140 was the best issue since Parker took over. Fantastic ending.
This was the first Parker issue I've really liked and, yeah, it was a totally great ending. I think I'll hold off cancelling for now. Anyway, I suspect there's pretty big changes in store here in the coming months.

I have a pretty good feeling that Songbird and some of the older characters may come back after Siege.
Yeah this was a very solid issue, the end was nuts!

And I would love to see Songbird assemble a team and take over the book post-Siege. It makes perfect sense.

View user profile

41 Re: Thunderbolts on Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:26 pm

Fresh03

avatar
Ninja
Ninja
Heroic Age T-Bolts preview image, answers a couple of quesitons but raises a whole lot more:
Spoiler:


View user profile

42 Re: Thunderbolts on Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:54 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Fresh03 wrote:Heroic Age T-Bolts preview image, answers a couple of quesitons but raises a whole lot more:
Spoiler:



Wow that's pretty surprising! I guess that means that character won't be an Avenger...

Here's the interview on it of Jeff Parker, sounds really interesting:
http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=24771

View user profile

43 Re: Thunderbolts on Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:42 pm

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I was really hoping Songbird would be involved but I guess that's not ruled out judging by the interview. I'll be interested to see how Cage is prepared to work with Crossbones (who was involved in Cap's attempted assassination), Ghost (who is trying to kill Iron Man at the moment) and Moonstone (who's pretty much been bad to everyone). From the sound of it there's some similarities to Suicide Squad here.

View user profile

44 Re: Thunderbolts on Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:54 pm

rwe1138

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
Still on the fence. It does suffer a distinct lack of Ant-Man.


------------------------------------
Robert Eddleman
View user profile http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

45 Re: Thunderbolts on Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:51 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
after reading the interview, I approve...not sure about Kev Walker on art, how is he?...I think Marvel just saved me from dropping another book...

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

46 Re: Thunderbolts on Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:29 am

I'm looking forward to this. I've really enjoyed this book during Dark Reign but I'm not familiar with most of the characters, so I don't really have a preference for them to stick around. They should just slowly kill'em all off until the relaunch. Laughing Especially that arrogant Mr. X, I can't wait for him to get his. dry

Ghost is awesome though. yes

View user profile http://metalmisfit.wordpress.com

47 Re: Thunderbolts on Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:06 am

Fresh03

avatar
Ninja
Ninja
after reading the interview, I approve...not sure about Kev Walker on art, how is he?

He's frickin awesome, can't wait to see him taking on all of the Raft prisoners, should be some really good stuff.

I like the concept of the book quite a bit, Luke Cage takes criminals into hot spots around the world, should be good times with the cast they've shown and the potential people they have in the Raft to send along for the ride.

View user profile

48 Re: Thunderbolts on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:25 am

prescribeddrone

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
The new lineup sounds interesting... I won't jump on it rightaway, I'll just trade wait most likely.

View user profile

49 Re: Thunderbolts on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:36 am

hrdwrkngXsoldier

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
was that Man thing in that image?

View user profile

50 Re: Thunderbolts on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:41 am

Fresh03

avatar
Ninja
Ninja
Yeah it was.

View user profile

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum