The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thunderbolts

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

76 Re: Thunderbolts on Sat May 29, 2010 4:04 am

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Thunderbolts #144

Okay, I can honestly say that this might have been Jeff Parker's single best comic issue to date. Luke's entrance on the Raft was perfect and set the tone right away. His conversations with each member were really well done. Ghost comes off as such a fragile old man, you almost feel sorry for him. Then Luke's interactions with Juggernaut and Crossbones were great, particularly the reasoning behind putting Crossbones on the team. And easily my favorite part involved Hank Pym and Man-Thing. Loved how Pym thought to use Man-Thing in order to preserve him. Such a scientist move of him to want to keep a "specimen" like that from being destroyed by the government. Then you get to the last page, and all of this development could potentially be turned on it's head!

For all you guys that have written off Jeff Parker on Thunderbolts, which I certainly understand, I definitely recommend checking out this one issue and going from there. It seriously might just win you over. I didn't even mention Kev Walker's art either which was really good and unique.

View user profile

77 Re: Thunderbolts on Sun May 30, 2010 5:08 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Bigtymin, thank you.


Thunderbolts #144

This is the single best comic book issue of the year.

WHATTTT!!!

No, what you hear is not blasphemy, sarcasm or facetiousness. Jeff Parker has conjured up his finest issue to date--and if you've stuck around for most of Atlas, you'll find that statement striking--and completely shocks the hell outta me. It was Secret Avengers I thought would be the closest to a sure thing; to my surprise, Luke Cage's new solo title with a crew of motley fools steals this week's show.

I know I'm only speaking for myself as far as net media goes, although CBR gave this a 4, CB gave this a 3.5, and IGN scored this at an 8.4. Those are high marks. But really, other than maybe some discussions about who should or shouldn't receive the second chance (sure, killing Steve Rogers should leave little redemption) the initial cynics--myself included--now can all close their respected yarns.

Kev Walker's art is crazy. Many of the characters push off this punk flow of modern angst, reflective struggle and zesty personality. Even if there's a character you don't believe in, you can't argue with Walker's knack for adding significant flair. There's not one boring panel to witness. That's not typical of team recruiting issues. Adding several guest spots--including an on-point Hank Pym and wonderful final page surprise--certainly helps. It also pays to have the original Thunderbolts players (Mach V, Songbird, etc.) thrown into the heap of the recruiting process.

Best of all, someone has outwritten Bendis in terms of Luke Cage. He comes off a lot less ghetto but still carries a distinguished voice with street-diligence. More importantly, he sounds ready for leadership and it's funny when some of these ryker's island rejects intimidate him, which is rare.

Simply put, this was the most fun I had all year reading comics. Parker can tackle any hero or villain's persona with such ease, all the while becoming the ultimate continuity freak that we wish many of his fellow compatriates were. I think we found something here.

5/5 Bags&Boards - What more could you ask for?

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

78 Re: Thunderbolts on Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:33 pm

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
"Single best comic book issue of the year"???? I really don't think so. If you want to read someone who writes villains well then check out Gail Simone's Secret Six. This doesn't even come close (in my opinion of course).

Bigtymin504 wrote:Thunderbolts #144
For all you guys that have written off Jeff Parker on Thunderbolts, which I certainly understand, I definitely recommend checking out this one issue and going from there. It seriously might just win you over. I didn't even mention Kev Walker's art either which was really good and unique.

Buddy, I did check this issue out and it will be my last. If another writer starts on this book then I'll be checking it out again.

Whatever reasoning in the world you give me you will not convince me that Steve Rogers or anyone would be interested in giving Crossbones and Moonstone a second chance. The other characters I can go with but those two I cannot accept. I just don't buy it. And then there's Man-Thing - it just seems like a really fake way that he/it's been brought into the book.

And if you've lost me on these basic tenets of the book then it's hard to accept anything else that happens. I'll just read my old Suicide Squad issues to see this concept done in a way I enjoyed.

Kev Walker's art wasn't bad. It was unusual but stylish however I hated his version of Songbird who is my favourite character on this book and the one I'll miss the most.

Goodbye T-Bolts - I'll remember you most fondly for Warren Ellis's superb run.

View user profile

79 Re: Thunderbolts on Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:18 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
The man thing portal issue goes into stuff going on in Marvel Zombies and we saw in Deadpool Merc w/ a Mouth.

View user profile

80 Re: Thunderbolts on Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:38 pm

Aussiemandias wrote:"Single best comic book issue of the year"???? I really don't think so. If you want to read someone who writes villains well then check out Gail Simone's Secret Six. This doesn't even come close (in my opinion of course).

Bigtymin504 wrote:Thunderbolts #144
For all you guys that have written off Jeff Parker on Thunderbolts, which I certainly understand, I definitely recommend checking out this one issue and going from there. It seriously might just win you over. I didn't even mention Kev Walker's art either which was really good and unique.

Buddy, I did check this issue out and it will be my last. If another writer starts on this book then I'll be checking it out again.

Whatever reasoning in the world you give me you will not convince me that Steve Rogers or anyone would be interested in giving Crossbones and Moonstone a second chance. The other characters I can go with but those two I cannot accept. I just don't buy it. And then there's Man-Thing - it just seems like a really fake way that he/it's been brought into the book.

And if you've lost me on these basic tenets of the book then it's hard to accept anything else that happens. I'll just read my old Suicide Squad issues to see this concept done in a way I enjoyed.

Kev Walker's art wasn't bad. It was unusual but stylish however I hated his version of Songbird who is my favourite character on this book and the one I'll miss the most.

Goodbye T-Bolts - I'll remember you most fondly for Warren Ellis's superb run.

I definitely have my issues with Crossbones. Yet, people forget that the Thunderbolt crews changed mid story, so I can see Crossbones and hopefully Moonstone getting knocked off at some point. But I really enjoyed this first issue and considering how those last few pages went the next one will be just as fun.

View user profile http://www.twitter.com/theekenye

81 Re: Thunderbolts on Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:05 am

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Aussiemandias wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:Thunderbolts #144
For all you guys that have written off Jeff Parker on Thunderbolts, which I certainly understand, I definitely recommend checking out this one issue and going from there. It seriously might just win you over. I didn't even mention Kev Walker's art either which was really good and unique.

Buddy, I did check this issue out and it will be my last. If another writer starts on this book then I'll be checking it out again.

Whatever reasoning in the world you give me you will not convince me that Steve Rogers or anyone would be interested in giving Crossbones and Moonstone a second chance. The other characters I can go with but those two I cannot accept. I just don't buy it. And then there's Man-Thing - it just seems like a really fake way that he/it's been brought into the book.

And if you've lost me on these basic tenets of the book then it's hard to accept anything else that happens. I'll just read my old Suicide Squad issues to see this concept done in a way I enjoyed.

Kev Walker's art wasn't bad. It was unusual but stylish however I hated his version of Songbird who is my favourite character on this book and the one I'll miss the most.

Goodbye T-Bolts - I'll remember you most fondly for Warren Ellis's superb run.

Haha fair enough man, opinions and all that. I actually think the reasoning for having most of these guys on the team was pretty sound. I particularly loved the whole Man-Thing part, it took a rather throwaway moment from Dark Avengers where they captured Man-Thing and turned it into an interesting plot point. I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going.

Totally agree with you on Songbird though, don't know what the hell was going on with her hair.

View user profile

82 Re: Thunderbolts on Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:54 am

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Bigtymin504 wrote:
Haha fair enough man, opinions and all that. I actually think the reasoning for having most of these guys on the team was pretty sound. I particularly loved the whole Man-Thing part, it took a rather throwaway moment from Dark Avengers where they captured Man-Thing and turned it into an interesting plot point. I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going.

Totally agree with you on Songbird though, don't know what the hell was going on with her hair.
I should probably add that I'm getting a lot of comics and I'm trying to cut back a bit and my way of doing that is to focus on writers that I like the most so that's one reason I'm cutting this as I'm not a Parker fan. So, if I wasn't doing that it's well and truly possible I'd have stuck with this. Anyway, I'm going to keep an eye on what you guys have to say about the coming issues.

About Man-Thing - is it maybe time to change his name? shake my head

View user profile

83 Re: Thunderbolts on Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:30 am

hrdwrkngXsoldier

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Like to Man-Creature, or Creature-Thing.....Maybe Boyou-Thing. You know cause Swamp-Thing is taken and Thing-Man would just be assumed to be a Ben Grimm knock off.

View user profile

84 Re: Thunderbolts on Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:27 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Aussiemandias wrote:About Man-Thing - is it maybe time to change his name? shake my head

No way dude! I've always wished they would officially change his name to Giant-Size Man-Thing!



Like the Incredible Hulk or Mighty Thor. neutral

View user profile

85 Re: Thunderbolts on Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:44 pm

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Bigtymin504 wrote:
Aussiemandias wrote:About Man-Thing - is it maybe time to change his name? shake my head

No way dude! I've always wished they would officially change his name to Giant-Size Man-Thing!



Like the Incredible Hulk or Mighty Thor. neutral

The Thunderbolts would certainly feel cocky with a Giant-Size Man-Thing amongst them.

View user profile

86 Re: Thunderbolts on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:16 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Thunderbolts #145

Wow no review? this was great again!

4/5

really enjoying the art and all of the characterizations...sorry for all of this weak comments as of late but it's summer, i'm busy Very Happy

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

87 Re: Thunderbolts on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:53 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
LOOSECANNON wrote:Thunderbolts #145

Wow no review? this was great again!

4/5

really enjoying the art and all of the characterizations...sorry for all of this weak comments as of late but it's summer, i'm busy Very Happy

^Same here with the busyness lol.

But yeah great issue. Maybe I'm a sucker but the Baron Zemo twist kinda caught me by surprise...

View user profile

88 Re: Thunderbolts on Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:32 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
#146 was awesome again! This book has easily gone above and beyond the call of duty. Can't wait for the crossover with the Avengers in November.

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

89 Re: Thunderbolts on Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:04 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Wow, no one's been reading Parker's run? Even when tied into other ongoings, such as Shadowland and Avengers Academy, it's been a pretty brilliant surprise...

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

90 Re: Thunderbolts on Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:45 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
yup just a bunch of tumbleweeds during the team's illustrious 150th issue...shame on POP!

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

91 Re: Thunderbolts on Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:18 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
LOOSECANNON wrote:yup just a bunch of tumbleweeds during the team's illustrious 150th issue...shame on POP!

Haha I admit I'm behind on this, like a lot of other books, but I'll definitely be catching up soon.

View user profile

92 Re: Thunderbolts on Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:05 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Wow. Amazing run. Too many of you are SLEEPING on one of Marvel's finest titles! This original story in #151 on Ghost was surprisingly touching, and that last page reveal--for S.S. or S.P. fans (sorry, no spoiling)--you will be pleased if not shocked.

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

93 Re: Thunderbolts on Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:19 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Why do Jeff Parker's books get no love????? #152 was great again!


Hyperion vs. Monster Island!

Come on!

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

94 Re: Thunderbolts on Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:52 pm

LOOSECANNON wrote:Why do Jeff Parker's books get no love????? #152 was great again!


Hyperion vs. Monster Island!

Come on!

Loose, I'm with you. This book is in my top five. The entire issue was fun and action packed.

View user profile http://www.twitter.com/theekenye

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum