The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Secret Warriors

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

26 Re: Secret Warriors on Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:31 am

Matt

avatar
Pirate
Pirate
I'm having a hard time getting into this book. I love Hickman ,but anytime he writes something that isn't creator owned I Never like it

View user profile

27 Re: Secret Warriors on Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:35 am

Aussiemandias wrote:
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:I like how Eden's powers are dependant on math. It's an interesting factor.
Yeah I think Hickman's a clever writer. He throws very interesting stuff in here and there. Lucky Eden's good at math - would've been a problem if he was a dummy.

I was thinking that too. Laughing I wonder how this series will carry over when Dark Reign is done?

View user profile

28 Re: Secret Warriors on Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:15 am

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
You reading Hickman's Fantastic Four, Wade? I very highly recommend. yes

View user profile

29 Re: Secret Warriors on Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:16 am

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:
I wonder how this series will carry over when Dark Reign is done?
I think that's an interesting question. I suppose Nick Fury's battle against Hydra and Leviathan (whoever they are exactly) will continue on while his battle with HAMMER will be concluded. In other words he's probably got heaps to do once Dark Reign's over.

View user profile

30 Re: Secret Warriors on Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:53 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Aussiemandias wrote:
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:
I wonder how this series will carry over when Dark Reign is done?
I think that's an interesting question. I suppose Nick Fury's battle against Hydra and Leviathan (whoever they are exactly) will continue on while his battle with HAMMER will be concluded. In other words he's probably got heaps to do once Dark Reign's over.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Hickman has set up a lot of great stuff to work off of post-Dark Reign, it was really only this second arc where Fury started dealing with Dark Reign extensively, before that it was all Hydra.

I think I remember hearing that this title's run is finite and that they determined when its gonna end now. So I'm guessing Hickman has some awesome Fury/Hydra stuff planned post-DR.

View user profile

31 Re: Secret Warriors on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:48 am

blue halo

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Still not sure about this title. I'm giving it until #12 before I make the decision to toss or not. So far, it's looking like I'm giving up on it.

View user profile

32 Re: Secret Warriors on Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:09 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
blue halo wrote:Still not sure about this title. I'm giving it until #12 before I make the decision to toss or not. So far, it's looking like I'm giving up on it.

Wow, really? Personally, I think it's one of the best books on the stand. Hickman writes one hell of a Fury.

View user profile

33 Re: Secret Warriors on Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:35 pm

blue halo

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Batman25JM wrote:
blue halo wrote:Still not sure about this title. I'm giving it until #12 before I make the decision to toss or not. So far, it's looking like I'm giving up on it.

Wow, really? Personally, I think it's one of the best books on the stand. Hickman writes one hell of a Fury.
True story. It started off great, but seems to be taking a long time leading up to anything exciting. And what with Dark Reign coming to a close, I'm hoping that the aforementioned "anything exciting" happens soon.

View user profile

34 Re: Secret Warriors on Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:57 am

blue halo

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Wow. What crappy art. And the story wasn't all that fantastic, either. One more arc like this and I'm out.

View user profile

35 Re: Secret Warriors on Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:36 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
I guess people took the Thanksgiving break away from PoP, cuz this msg forum is as sure as hell slow. I took the day off from work, so here I am.

Secret Warriors #10

In our tenth issue of Secret Warriors, we get a nice tale of conflicted father and son in Ares and Phobos, the God of War and the God of Fear, respectively. Where are the Secret Warriors? Where's Nick Fury? If you get a nice story with solid art well worth your time, does it matter? Besides, many have claimed the the ironic thing about the Secret Warriors is that they're a secret to us too. Besides Yo-Yo and now Phobos, can you really remember any of their names?

There's no doubt Secret Warriors: Agent of Nothing has been a Nick Fury-centric book and it's been highly successful because of it. We finally get to know one of the characters origins, personality, determinations and aspirations, and yet we're still stuck on wondering why Fury only has a cameo.

Thankfully, Hickman wraps up this arc epically, giving us both added depth and a newly reknown interest in Ares, who's typically just hired muscle in his Dark Avengers showings, as well as his son Phobos, other than the fact he's a son of a God.

Come Seige time, this arc could very well be looked back at with more importance than a mere advancement in characterization.

4/5 Bags&Boards - Excellent

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

36 Re: Secret Warriors on Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:08 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Secret Warriors #10

Another great issue, this time focusing on the relationship between Ares and his son Phoebus. It was nice to see what happened in the past between them. Plus I've always loved the idea of the Council of Godheads...I just think its damn cool. Its pretty amazing how Hickman can write stellar books on espionage concepts, far out cosmic concepts, AND mythological concepts. The guy is unbelievable.

View user profile

37 Re: Secret Warriors on Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:53 pm

shiky800

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Bigtymin504 wrote:Secret Warriors #10

Another great issue, this time focusing on the relationship between Ares and his son Phoebus. It was nice to see what happened in the past between them. Plus I've always loved the idea of the Council of Godheads...I just think its damn cool. Its pretty amazing how Hickman can write stellar books on espionage concepts, far out cosmic concepts, AND mythological concepts. The guy is unbelievable.
i thought this issue was good but i like the book more grounded and about fury and his mission. i think this god story arc is a little weaker than what came before it

View user profile

38 Re: Secret Warriors on Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:15 pm

Mnemosis

avatar
The Robert Frost of Poop
I missed the rest of the cast in this issue, but still thought it was good. My biggest gripe? The complete omission of Phobos' test. Unless his test was merely saying who he was. That whole thing was kind of lame.


------------------------------------
View user profile

39 Re: Secret Warriors on Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:50 am

shiky800

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
also they need to bring back the artest from the first story

View user profile

40 Re: Secret Warriors on Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:51 am

Bigtymin504 wrote:Secret Warriors #10

Another great issue, this time focusing on the relationship between Ares and his son Phoebus. It was nice to see what happened in the past between them. Plus I've always loved the idea of the Council of Godheads...I just think its damn cool. Its pretty amazing how Hickman can write stellar books on espionage concepts, far out cosmic concepts, AND mythological concepts. The guy is unbelievable.

I have to agree. While this issue was "slow" compared to everything else, considering that the series is confined to working at the pace of other Marvel books, such is understandable. Personally, I saw this as set-up for events that will take center stage later on and may tie in to what Hickman is doing later on, especially given the focus of the next series he is putting out and what has been hinted at in the past. I would be very surprised if there wasn't some link, probably tenuous, that didn't exist. My only complaint is indeed the art. I too wish for the original artist on this title to come back. This artist simply does not fit the tone of this book and overall, though improved from past works, is horrible in that his work tends to look unnecessairly rough and unrefined and thus, unbecoming of the title, especially when it tends to distract from the fine story unfolding. Overall, I liked this issue, It certainly explained alot of what I missed in the past concerning this.

View user profile

41 Re: Secret Warriors on Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:37 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:Secret Warriors #10

Another great issue, this time focusing on the relationship between Ares and his son Phoebus. It was nice to see what happened in the past between them. Plus I've always loved the idea of the Council of Godheads...I just think its damn cool. Its pretty amazing how Hickman can write stellar books on espionage concepts, far out cosmic concepts, AND mythological concepts. The guy is unbelievable.

I have to agree. While this issue was "slow" compared to everything else, considering that the series is confined to working at the pace of other Marvel books, such is understandable. Personally, I saw this as set-up for events that will take center stage later on and may tie in to what Hickman is doing later on, especially given the focus of the next series he is putting out and what has been hinted at in the past. I would be very surprised if there wasn't some link, probably tenuous, that didn't exist. My only complaint is indeed the art. I too wish for the original artist on this title to come back. This artist simply does not fit the tone of this book and overall, though improved from past works, is horrible in that his work tends to look unnecessairly rough and unrefined and thus, unbecoming of the title, especially when it tends to distract from the fine story unfolding. Overall, I liked this issue, It certainly explained alot of what I missed in the past concerning this.

Yeah Hickman always has a long term plan in mind, I would not be surprised either if this ties into his future work on SHIELD or even Secret Warriors.

And I agree with you on the artist. While Alessandro Vitti isn't horrible, he can't compare to Stefano Caselli. Caselli's art is just stellar, he was a big reason why this book was so on fire coming out the gate.

View user profile

42 Re: Secret Warriors on Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:43 pm

Rath99

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Agree with the comments about the art. Loved the last issue with Ares and his son.


------------------------------------


View user profile

43 Re: Secret Warriors on Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:09 pm

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
LOOSECANNON wrote:
Secret Warriors #10
We finally get to know one of the characters origins, personality, determinations and aspirations, and yet we're still stuck on wondering why Fury only has a cameo.
You might be but I'm not. I like Hickman fleshing out the cast of characters and spending time with some of them individually. It's how you build a good team book.

shiky800 wrote:also they need to bring back the artest from the first story
Stefano Casselli's back next issue which I'm also looking forward to.

View user profile

44 Re: Secret Warriors on Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:12 pm

Mnemosis

avatar
The Robert Frost of Poop
Caselli's back next issue!? YES!


------------------------------------
View user profile

45 Re: Secret Warriors on Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:50 am

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Secret Warriors #11

Ah good to have Caselli back. This was yet another good issue, this time focusing mostly on Gorgon. I like how this book seems to have a slightly different feel every issue. That's the perfect tone for a spy book like this. Gorgon is a strange and creepy dude, especially his choice of "art" lol. I'm also interested in what the Leviathan is about and what they want with Gorgon.

Plus the end was badass with Nick revealing even more of his massive plan. Apparently he has multiple "Caterpillar" teams operating at once, one head by his son Mikel! I swear, this book is just full of surprises.

View user profile

46 Re: Secret Warriors on Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:58 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Secret Warriors #11

Despite new reveals, consistently good art from Casseli, and forward progress, I can't help but feel like nothing too exciting happened here. Secret Warriors has been known for either one of the following: surprise endings or great character studies. The feel of this book is a little choppy, with several timelines and plot threads that lack total cohesion. Sure, it's still got the witty writing of Hickman and Casseli's back behind the drawing board; this issue follows standard procedure without taking risks.

This is now the bar set by a great new team and I expect more than just a filler episode. Even so, this new arc is going places.

3/5 - Surprisingly not on par with the rest of Marvel's great week.

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

47 Re: Secret Warriors on Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:23 pm

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Bigtymin504 wrote:Secret Warriors #11

Ah good to have Caselli back. This was yet another good issue, this time focusing mostly on Gorgon. I like how this book seems to have a slightly different feel every issue. That's the perfect tone for a spy book like this. Gorgon is a strange and creepy dude, especially his choice of "art" lol. I'm also interested in what the Leviathan is about and what they want with Gorgon.

Plus the end was badass with Nick revealing even more of his massive plan. Apparently he has multiple "Caterpillar" teams operating at once, one head by his son Mikel! I swear, this book is just full of surprises.
I thought this issue was brilliant! In fact, it picked up again after the focus on the Ares/Phobos relationship took it slightly off track (although I think it was a storyline that needed addressing).

I've just got to comment on the art though - it was terrific to have Caselli back but I thought the colouring this issue was terrible. Too dark and murky and it just didn't look right. I think it degraded Caselli's art a bit.

I still totally love what Hickman's doing here. This issue and the next couple I believe are going to give us a fair bit more background on the Hydra crew. I sense this is important because it appears Leviathan are not going to differentiate between Hydra and anyone else they're up against so I suspect all these characters, both good and bad, are all in this together.

Hickman's building a complex world here and he's revealing it little by little like peeling back the layers of an onion.

View user profile

48 Re: Secret Warriors on Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:07 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Aussiemandias wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:Secret Warriors #11

Ah good to have Caselli back. This was yet another good issue, this time focusing mostly on Gorgon. I like how this book seems to have a slightly different feel every issue. That's the perfect tone for a spy book like this. Gorgon is a strange and creepy dude, especially his choice of "art" lol. I'm also interested in what the Leviathan is about and what they want with Gorgon.

Plus the end was badass with Nick revealing even more of his massive plan. Apparently he has multiple "Caterpillar" teams operating at once, one head by his son Mikel! I swear, this book is just full of surprises.
I thought this issue was brilliant! In fact, it picked up again after the focus on the Ares/Phobos relationship took it slightly off track (although I think it was a storyline that needed addressing).

I've just got to comment on the art though - it was terrific to have Caselli back but I thought the colouring this issue was terrible. Too dark and murky and it just didn't look right. I think it degraded Caselli's art a bit.

I still totally love what Hickman's doing here. This issue and the next couple I believe are going to give us a fair bit more background on the Hydra crew. I sense this is important because it appears Leviathan are not going to differentiate between Hydra and anyone else they're up against so I suspect all these characters, both good and bad, are all in this together.

Hickman's building a complex world here and he's revealing it little by little like peeling back the layers of an onion.

I completely agree with everything you said, especially about the coloring. I was thrilled to have Caselli back, but the coloring really hurt his great artwork. As you said it was too dark and murky.

The story was great. I don't have much else to add. The fact that there are multiple Caterpillar teams is great.

View user profile

49 Re: Secret Warriors on Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:33 pm

shiky800

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
i am wondering why they didn't finish the last story this issue. i am not crazy that they are starting stories and not finishing them. but the art was weaker than caselli usually is, i wasn't sure what it was but you all think it was the coloring.

View user profile

50 Re: Secret Warriors on Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:45 pm

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
shiky800 wrote:i am wondering why they didn't finish the last story this issue. i am not crazy that they are starting stories and not finishing them. but the art was weaker than caselli usually is, i wasn't sure what it was but you all think it was the coloring.
Didn't you think the Ares/Phobos storyline was finished? I just checked it and you could look at it as a cliffhanger ending but I actually think it wasn't meant to be. Ares was just saying to Alex that one day he will have to die but I don't think he meant that that need to happen right away. Was that what made you feel the story was unfinished?

View user profile

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum