Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Secret Warriors

+14
Matt
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Aussiemandias
shiky800
LOOSECANNON
Joshua
Rath99
Batman25JM
hrdwrkngXsoldier
Esbat
J Nova
blue halo
Lee
Mnemosis
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

76Secret Warriors - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Warriors Sun May 02, 2010 8:12 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:
Aussiemandias wrote:
LOOSECANNON wrote:SW #15

Along with Goh's wonderfully coloring, this is Casselli's best work yet.
Have to disagree with this comment. I feel the colouring has been off on this book for a while. Not a fan.

I dunno. It just feels like Goh uses a rustic element to coloring that gives this book a distinct feel. It doesn't look or come off like any other book. It's not supposed to be real bright..a lot of the colors are brownish olive or murky lime greens...if it started having alot of bright blues, oranges, and reds it'd start to take away the title's character.
Understand that but I think he goes too far on the murky side. I know I'm not alone in thinking this as I've seen others say it also. I think if you look at some of the colouring earlier in the series it looks just fine. Just a taste thing at the end of the day I guess.

77Secret Warriors - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Warriors Tue May 04, 2010 2:25 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Secret Warriors #15

This was a great week for comics for me. Primarily because there were three books by one of my new favorites, Jonathan Hickman. This guy made the Fantastic Four interesting to me, he made the superspy life of Nick Fury, Hydra, S.H.I.E.L.D., and the Secret Warriors actually matter more in the Marvel Universe. I really enjoy Caselli’s art in this book as well. Hickman essentially has taken a band of misfits that didn’t matter in the big scheme of things and gave them a purpose and I have enjoyed reading it every month. This month was no different.

The story opens with our Secret Warriors playing cards and debating the big man’s decision to force cuts on the team. It is interesting enough from a character development standpoint. Daisy is being groomed to be a leader by the greatest spy the world has known, and she is going to have to realize that some assets have to be cut. (Even Chuck had to learn that and he barely became a full fledged agent mid-season.) She is learning the hard way it seams and the book actually lost a little cool factor with the kiss at the end. (Little bit of Fred Savage in me….Princess Bride reference for those who don’t get that.)

The book isn’t just about this group of newbs though. We still have Leviathan out there and we also have the Zodiac that we never here about but once every so often. (I’m watching you Hickman.) There is also the fearless Nick Fury and the realization that Contessa (the triple agent) played him like a sucker, and the mirror group to S.H.I.E.L.D., Hydra. (Which I can’t wait to hear more about the Sword from the East in Hickmans new S.H.I.E.L.D. maxi-series….which if you are not reading I think puppies are sacrificed to the dark gods or something.)

Hydra has stumble upon the body of Viper. This was the woman that was groomed from the beginning to be everything Hydra needed her to be. Even though she is dead you have to read this book to find out that she is finally living up to her potential.

This is a good book and Hickman hasn’t failed to impress me yet…except the kissing.

4.5 out of 5 Secret Warriors that wanted Sebastian back.

78Secret Warriors - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Warriors Sun May 09, 2010 4:51 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I loved issue #15. God, Nick Fury is awesome.

79Secret Warriors - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Warriors Thu May 27, 2010 2:44 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Secret Warriors #16

Secret Warriors - Page 4 Roflbot-whatatwist

80Secret Warriors - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Warriors Fri May 28, 2010 2:33 am

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Secret Warriors #16

This was another stellar issue that gives us a deeper look into the organizations that essentially are responsible for orchastrating the Marvel Universe. Hickman continues to keep me interested and wanting more. I was stunned when he brought back Baron Strucker, I was in awe at his triple agent cover of Contessa, and amazed that he brought back Viper as the New Madame Hydra. Well he got me again. The twist at the end of this almost hurts a little bit.

The further look at the relationship between Laviathan and Hydra is in here as well as some more mention on the mysterious cabal of individuals that make up the Zodiac. I really felt like this issue centered more on that but the clincher in this issue is just too unexpected and well thought out to talk about.

I can understand someone not reading this book jumping in and being super confused, but Hickman has been putting out awesome work for Marvel and this is well worth picking up in trade if you fell behind or haven't given it a chance. It is definately something you can't just jump into though.

4 out of 5 Missing Stacks of Money.

81Secret Warriors - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Warriors Sun May 30, 2010 1:54 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Secret Warriors #16

Another good issue, however I wasn't a huge fan of the twist at the end. Also, I didn't really care too much for the art.

82Secret Warriors - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Warriors Sun May 30, 2010 5:30 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Secret Warriors #16

Entertaining as usual, but slightly disappointing. Jaw-dropping conclusion, for sure. Doesn't make up for the lacking art--Googs does his best to emulate Caselli, but that's just it, emulating--or the lack of urgency on the part of the Secret Warriors themselves. Where was all the angst against Fury the previous issue? And, I wasn't too enthralled by Kraken's origin. It was good, but that's it. Not a great ending to what has been and still is a great arc.

3/5 Bags&Boards - Decent

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

83Secret Warriors - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Warriors Sun May 30, 2010 6:08 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:Secret Warriors #16

Another good issue, however I wasn't a huge fan of the twist at the end. Also, I didn't really care too much for the art.

I more than didn't care for it - I absolutely hated it. In my opinion it was garbage and looked like amateur hour. His figures just look awful. I've loved the art on this book (not so much the colouring) so this was extremely hard to take. Vitti's on the next issue and he's way better thant his.

As for the story, it was great as usual - full of more twists and turns. I like the JT betrayal, because it happened in the past not now. He has been so angry about how they've been treated for so long I think it's not surprising that he would have done this at some stage. In fact, there's been plenty of hints that he would. Now that he's fallen for Daisy he wouldn't have done it but it's way too late and their relationship now looks destined for disaster. All that being said, Nick Fury is pretty canny and I wouldn't be shocked if he has an idea what JT has been up to.

And it looks like all hell has broken loose and it's going to get even better with Fury and his forces joining the fray - can't wait!

LOOSECANNON wrote:Secret Warriors #16
And, I wasn't too enthralled by Kraken's origin. It was good, but that's it. Not a great ending to what has been and still is a great arc.
Well, it wasn't really Kraken's origin. All it was, was the supply of the information that the current Kraken is not the man he used to be and who Strucker thinks he is. I wouldn't really call it an origin.

84Secret Warriors - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Warriors Sun May 30, 2010 7:36 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I totally agree with you guys on the art. I was SO disappointed when I opened this issue and saw Caselli wasn't on pencils...just imagine how epic that fight between Hydra and Leviathan would have been if Caselli or even Vitti drew it. hmm

85Secret Warriors - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Warriors Sun May 30, 2010 10:25 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:

I more than didn't care for it - I absolutely hated it. In my opinion it was garbage and looked like amateur hour. His figures just look awful. I've loved the art on this book (not so much the colouring) so this was extremely hard to take. Vitti's on the next issue and he's way better thant his.

Yeah, I hated it too. I guess I was just trying to be nice.

86Secret Warriors - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Warriors Mon May 31, 2010 4:52 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:
Aussiemandias wrote:

Awwwwww, you're just a softy.

87Secret Warriors - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Warriors Mon May 31, 2010 2:25 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:
Batman25JM wrote:
Aussiemandias wrote:

Awwwwww, you're just a softy.

Laughing

Yep, I'm a marshmallow with a nougat filling. Wink

88Secret Warriors - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Warriors Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:13 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

From Hickman's Twitter, in case yall were wondering:

JHickman: For those asking, Secret Warriors will end around 27 or 28. As planned, from around issue 5 or 6.

Also, it's been recently announced that Alessandro Vitti will be finishing off the rest of the Secret Warriors run. I'll miss Stefano Caselli but Vitti is really good too...plus there's supposedly a big announcement coming about Caselli's next project. Smile

89Secret Warriors - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Warriors Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:54 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:From Hickman's Twitter, in case yall were wondering:

JHickman: For those asking, Secret Warriors will end around 27 or 28. As planned, from around issue 5 or 6.

Also, it's been recently announced that Alessandro Vitti will be finishing off the rest of the Secret Warriors run. I'll miss Stefano Caselli but Vitti is really good too...plus there's supposedly a big announcement coming about Caselli's next project. Smile

Knowing that this was coming I was kind of hoping that SHIELD would go monthly once this finishes up but I wouldn't be shocked if it transforms into a new Hickman project.

90Secret Warriors - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Warriors Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:04 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Issue #17

At first I was disappointed that they'd moved away from the normal cover design for the book, which I thought has been quite unique, but looking at this work by Cheung I really think it deserves the whole cover space (if only that awful Heroic Age banner wasn't there) to do it justice. Beautiful work.

This issue just provides further evidence to me that Hickman is a cut above a lot of comic book writers. What he does is construct stories really well and this is no exception as an introduction or teaser into what exactly has happened at this Chinese Hydra base. And what has happened is some very bad shit! Obviously the next few issues are going to reveal the whole story but seeing this arc is titled "The Last Ride of the Howling Commandos" and the scene we got on the closing page, I've got a feeling it doesn't end well. I also have doubts about the life expectancies of Alexander Pierce's very cranky looking bunch of Caterpillers.

After last month's awful art Vitti's workmanlike effort here is very much appreciated.

91Secret Warriors - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Warriors Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:12 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Secret Warriors #17

I. LOVED. THIS!

I couldn't have loved this issue more. I'd put it as one of the best issues of the series so far.

I can't wait to see what happened to the Commandos.

I agree about the art. After last month's horrible are it's nice to have Vitti back. I still wish that Caselli would return to the book, but Vitti does a good job.

I also agree about the cover. I missed the regular design, but the art deserved all the room it could get. And I hate the Heroic Age banner. It's an eyesore.

Was that speech of Steve's taken from another book or was it seen in a previous issue? I swear I've read it before.

92Secret Warriors - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Warriors Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:52 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

SW #17

Not a great issue but definitely has a lot of good moments and the last few pages were steller. The art was definitely good, among Vitti's best. Good to see him get some credit from around the web, considering how awesome Caselli is. Some of Marvel's backup artists have been getting the job done (i.e. Neil Edwards on F4).

There was a lot of lag in this ish, but it's goin to be another incredible arc. Best belee dat!

3.5/5

93Secret Warriors - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Warriors Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:14 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I really liked #17. It was great to see all those old farts getting together lol. And this whole deal with the UN is very interesting. It seems like this arc is providing somewhat of a "break" from all the crazy espionage of this series, but once it's done, shit will be hitting fans. yes

94Secret Warriors - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Warriors Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:56 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Secret Warriors #17

This book takes a bit of a detour from the story that we have been reading involving Hydra, the Secret Warriors, and Leviathan. It was worth the break though to see a meet up of the Howling Commandos and give readers unfamiliar with them a little bit of background on Nick Fury and his trusted friends.

The setting through most of the book bounces between a “secret” meeting of the UN Security council personal members and two representatives of the Secret Warriors, and the get together the Howling Commandos had. The UN is investigating the “mercenary” activities that the Secret Warriors are part of and the nature of their involvement in the destruction of a Hydra base in China.

I think we will get caught up further on the situation next issue as I think this arc is going to serve to explain a lot of stuff that would normally be off panel in a book. This was a great issue for anybody that is a Howling Commandos fan or just a Hickman fan. This is decompressed storytelling at its best.

3.5 out of 5 Crashed Hellicarriers (The guys who build these things must be rolling in cash by now.)

95Secret Warriors - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Warriors Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:37 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Bigtymin504 wrote:I really liked #17. It was great to see all those old farts getting together lol. And this whole deal with the UN is very interesting. It seems like this arc is providing somewhat of a "break" from all the crazy espionage of this series, but once it's done, shit will be hitting fans. yes

I always wanted to know what it was like to hear Howard Stern reviewing comics lol!

96Secret Warriors - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Warriors Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:41 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Issue #18 was just more goodness from Hickman (I think I'm on a bit of a Hickman lovefest at the moment wub ).

The last couple of issues have sort of featured a few different stories being told at the same time which are all connected - the Howling Commandoes get together, the assault on the Chinese Hydra base and the appearance of Dum Dum at the UN. I think it's been a great way for what is likely to be a pivotal story to unfold.

The conversation between Dum Dum and Alexander Pierce was extremely interesting. I'm not sure I totally got all the connotations but I got the distinct impression Pierce maybe doesn't trust Nick Fury. Curious.

I'm still waiting to see where Druid turns up. I'm sure he's going to make a surprise appearance somewhere.

Vitti's art hasn't been too bad although I don't think he's particularly good at the tech (helicarriers, etc). However, I'll take him over some of the other fill in art we were given on this book.

97Secret Warriors - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Warriors Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:11 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Secret Warriors #19

This was simply excellent. So well written and a massive shock. Not too much else to say.

Hickman is doing such a good job here that I really hope after Secret Warriors finishes he is picking up some of the characters and plots elsewhere (perhaps in a new title). If anyone and anything is left.

98Secret Warriors - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Warriors Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:41 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Certainly cleaned house now didn't he. Is it just me or is this forum--and some other comic webzines--sorta dying?

Hate to say it...

99Secret Warriors - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Warriors Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:36 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:Issue #18 was just more goodness from Hickman (I think I'm on a bit of a Hickman lovefest at the moment wub ).

The last couple of issues have sort of featured a few different stories being told at the same time which are all connected - the Howling Commandoes get together, the assault on the Chinese Hydra base and the appearance of Dum Dum at the UN. I think it's been a great way for what is likely to be a pivotal story to unfold.

The conversation between Dum Dum and Alexander Pierce was extremely interesting. I'm not sure I totally got all the connotations but I got the distinct impression Pierce maybe doesn't trust Nick Fury. Curious.

I'm still waiting to see where Druid turns up. I'm sure he's going to make a surprise appearance somewhere.

Vitti's art hasn't been too bad although I don't think he's particularly good at the tech (helicarriers, etc). However, I'll take him over some of the other fill in art we were given on this book.

Aussiemandias wrote:Secret Warriors #19

This was simply excellent. So well written and a massive shock. Not too much else to say.

Hickman is doing such a good job here that I really hope after Secret Warriors finishes he is picking up some of the characters and plots elsewhere (perhaps in a new title). If anyone and anything is left.

Right there with you on this Aussie. This was a great arc...now its getting close to the epic finale of this whole thing!

LOOSECANNON wrote:Certainly cleaned house now didn't he. Is it just me or is this forum--and some other comic webzines--sorta dying?

Hate to say it...

Sadly yeah not as much traffic these days...

100Secret Warriors - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Warriors Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:39 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

I took nearly the entire summer off but I'm back, hopefully with school or colder weather, some other people decide to do the same...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum