Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ultimate Marvel

+20
Tom
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Fresh03
Mnemosis
kidspider2099
Sandman
jaydee74
Debaser77
andy546
Bigtymin504
Aussiemandias
Thundermatts
shiky800
Ska
LOOSECANNON
Nymn
hrdwrkngXsoldier
lurchadamo
Batman25JM
prescribeddrone
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 11]

201Ultimate Marvel - Page 9 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:23 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Well, prior to this issue (in Ultimates 3) Loeb really messed around with the characterizations of the Ultimates, but specifically to what Loeb did this issue (and this isn't really a spoiler since they mentioned it in this issue) Loeb made Thor a rage filled warrior and not the "hippie" that he was in Ultimates 1 and 2. I LOVED the Ultimate version of Thor in Ultimates 1 and 2.

202Ultimate Marvel - Page 9 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:02 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:^Well, prior to this issue (in Ultimates 3) Loeb really messed around with the characterizations of the Ultimates, but specifically to what Loeb did this issue (and this isn't really a spoiler since they mentioned it in this issue) Loeb made Thor a rage filled warrior and not the "hippie" that he was in Ultimates 1 and 2. I LOVED the Ultimate version of Thor in Ultimates 1 and 2.

I agree about Ultimates 3 - that was garbage. However, in Loeb's defence, at least he's providing an explanation for Thor's behaviour AT THE MOMENT (I really expect that it's a momentary thing). And...it actually makes sense and gels with his characterisation as a bit of a hippie as seen previously. When you think about it, there's no way that character has been a peace loving hippie all his life so Loeb's providing us with an explanation as to why he was that way when we were first introduced to him. I think it all makes sense - a lot more sense than portraying a character out of character for no reason except poor writing (ie. Ultimates 3).

As for how Thor is acting at the moment, I'm sure he'll get over it.

203Ultimate Marvel - Page 9 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:44 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^You know? You're completely right. I do wish that they explanation for the hippie behavior was more along the lines of Thor being distraught over centuries of violence and decided to change instead of him being forced to change, but either way, you are right about it making sense that he was not always a hippie.

204Ultimate Marvel - Page 9 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:05 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:
Batman25JM wrote:^Well, prior to this issue (in Ultimates 3) Loeb really messed around with the characterizations of the Ultimates, but specifically to what Loeb did this issue (and this isn't really a spoiler since they mentioned it in this issue) Loeb made Thor a rage filled warrior and not the "hippie" that he was in Ultimates 1 and 2. I LOVED the Ultimate version of Thor in Ultimates 1 and 2.

I agree about Ultimates 3 - that was garbage. However, in Loeb's defence, at least he's providing an explanation for Thor's behaviour AT THE MOMENT (I really expect that it's a momentary thing). And...it actually makes sense and gels with his characterisation as a bit of a hippie as seen previously. When you think about it, there's no way that character has been a peace loving hippie all his life so Loeb's providing us with an explanation as to why he was that way when we were first introduced to him. I think it all makes sense - a lot more sense than portraying a character out of character for no reason except poor writing (ie. Ultimates 3).

As for how Thor is acting at the moment, I'm sure he'll get over it.

Batman25JM wrote:^You know? You're completely right. I do wish that they explanation for the hippie behavior was more along the lines of Thor being distraught over centuries of violence and decided to change instead of him being forced to change, but either way, you are right about it making sense that he was not always a hippie.

Good analysis guys. I really liked New Ultimates #4 too. The narration by Loki was great and Loeb is doing a good job with their dynamic, and unleashing Thor's inner bloodthirsty warrior.

205Ultimate Marvel - Page 9 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:56 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #15

I absolutely LOVED this issue. The personal problems of Peter are just so entertaining. Bendis writes great drama.

I can't even begin to describe how much I love that JJJ is a Spidey supporter. It's a very nice change from the usual anti Spidey JJJ.

I knew the public would hate Spider-Man again, and I'm not too thrilled about it, but the fact that JJJ is defending him makes it better.

I just love the Peter/Johnny/Bobby stuff. It's such a great dynamic.

I want Peter and MJ back together so badly.

I'm a little confused about the numbering. Next issue is the 150th, but I don't know how they got that. There were 133 issues of the first Ultimate Spider-Man book, and then 15 of this one. That adds up to 148. So, wouldn't the next issue be #149?

Ultimate Comics Mystery #4

I really enjoyed this.

I can't wait to learn why Reed is doing this (I mean, it's pretty clear, but I want specifics) and what his plans are.

I just love Ultimate Spider-Woman. I didn't see the twist with the brain trust coming.

There were two minor problems for me. Some of the word balloons seemed to be messed up. In one panel Ben is asking where his sister is. I'm assuming that was an across the board error and not just a local one. Also, in the flashback Wolverine was wearing his 616 costume.

That exchange between Reed and his father seemed familiar. I swear I've read it before. I'm thinking it was taken from the first issue of Ultimate Fantastic Four (which Bendis co-wrote). I'll have to check that.

206Ultimate Marvel - Page 9 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:34 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:
Ultimate Comics Mystery #4

I really enjoyed this.

I can't wait to learn why Reed is doing this (I mean, it's pretty clear, but I want specifics) and what his plans are.

I just love Ultimate Spider-Woman. I didn't see the twist with the brain trust coming.

There were two minor problems for me. Some of the word balloons seemed to be messed up. In one panel Ben is asking where his sister is. I'm assuming that was an across the board error and not just a local one. Also, in the flashback Wolverine was wearing his 616 costume.

That exchange between Reed and his father seemed familiar. I swear I've read it before. I'm thinking it was taken from the first issue of Ultimate Fantastic Four (which Bendis co-wrote). I'll have to check that.

I think all these minis (let's face it - it really is a big maxi series) have been really good. Good plot and writing by Bendis and Sandoval's art has been terrific all the way through.

I'm the same as you - I was hoping we'd have a few more answers by the end of Ultimate Mystery but that's obviously not the case and we'll have to wait until Ultimate Doom for those. And....Ultimate Doom....I think that name has a number of connotations not least of which I think Reed is looking to end Doom permanently but it seems like if Reed achieves this he's probably already replaced Doom as a major villain.

I agree about the word balloons - they were definitely screwed up. I think that's the second time this has happened in this series actually.

And, yep, that brains trust was a surprise to me too - I thought they were legit. Now I'm wondering what all their powers are.

Now I'm really looking forward to Ultimate Doom.

207Ultimate Marvel - Page 9 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:01 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Yeah, I agree with Reed wanting to end Doom, but also becoming a replacement for Doom as a villain.

208Ultimate Marvel - Page 9 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:20 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ultimate Comics Avengers 3 #3

This is my last issue of this series. I've just found it to be pretty ordinary. Additionally, I don't think Steve Dillon's the right artist for this or doing his best work.

209Ultimate Marvel - Page 9 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:21 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

it reads so fast it should be $2 instead of $4 lol!

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

210Ultimate Marvel - Page 9 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:01 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ultimate Thor #2

Okay, this is excellent. Really. I actually like Hickman's version of Thor, Asgard, etc here than the main Marvel Universe versions. Maybe I've become biased but this writer can do no wrong in my eyes at the moment - he just keeps producing good work and Ultimate Thor is no exception.

Bats, I think you were previously questioning when the "present day" stuff was occurring I think it's pretty clear now that it's not exactly "present day" in the Ultimate Universe. I think it's prior to us meeting Thor in The Ultimates. I think we're going to see how got to where he was at that point. Obviously these are assumptions but I think that's where it's headed.

Oh and I think "Donald Blake" is Odin! That would be an interesting turnaround.

I don't normally hide things in spoilers in these posts but seeing we're all mixed up with the other Ultimate books here it's probably a good idea.

Spoiler:

After Ultimate Thor I wouldn't mind seeing Hickman unleashed on a regular Ultimate Universe title.

Pacheco's art was great including the particularly good Loki cover.

211Ultimate Marvel - Page 9 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:10 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

"Marvel Announces Death of Spider-Man By Bendis & Millar"
"Groundbreaking New Storyline Hits the Ultimate Comics Universe in February"

Ultimate Marvel - Page 9 Death

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/death-of-spider-man-101110.html

ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #153 & #154
Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
Pencils by SARA PICHELLI & DAVID LAFUENTE
Cover by SARA PICHELLI
Rated T+ ...$3.99 each
ON-SALE IN FEBRUARY

ULTIMATE AVENGERS VS. NEW ULTIMATES #1 (of 6)
Written by MARK MILLAR
Pencils & Cover by LEINIL YU
Variant Covers by BRYAN HITCH & FRANK CHO
Rated T+ ...$3.99
ON-SALE IN FEBRUARY

huh

212Ultimate Marvel - Page 9 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:54 pm

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Just watched the reviews on the Ultimates 3 mini from Linkara on theguywiththeglasses.com, hilarious stuff.

213Ultimate Marvel - Page 9 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:09 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I stopped buying Ultimate comics but if this "Death" is that good, I can get it in trade.

214Ultimate Marvel - Page 9 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:13 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

I was afraid of picking up any new ongoings as I've moved across the country and only picked up a part time job. However, Ultimate Thor is WELL WORTH the $4 and time. Other than the Avengers book, the Ult lineup is in good hands...

215Ultimate Marvel - Page 9 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:18 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I finally decided to drop Ultimate Avengers 3. I HATED the first two issues and I haven't even read issue #3 yet, so I just decided to skip getting issue #4 and drop the book. It sucks so much, and the art is horrid.

216Ultimate Marvel - Page 9 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:35 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Batman25JM wrote:I finally decided to drop Ultimate Avengers 3. I HATED the first two issues and I haven't even read issue #3 yet, so I just decided to skip getting issue #4 and drop the book. It sucks so much, and the art is horrid.

Funny thing is, issue #4 is the arc's best one yet. I, too, thought of dropping, but I hate starting something without a finish. This was easily the most dense and entertaining of the issues. You probably will still hate it, though.

217Ultimate Marvel - Page 9 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:06 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

oh, and did anyone else pay $6 for U-Spidey and did you think you got enough from that? I never read this reprint, so it didn't bother me, particularly since the main event was a healthy 40 pags..

218Ultimate Marvel - Page 9 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:17 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ultimate Spider-Man #150

I still swear this should be issue #149, but whatever.

I enjoyed this well enough. It wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't horrible.

So, the stuff at the end was a reprint? I'd never seen it, so I had no idea. It makes sense since it obviously took place in the past. I didn't like a lot of the art, but seeing Bagley's Ultimate Spidey again was more than worth getting through the other art.

219Ultimate Marvel - Page 9 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:28 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ultimate Marvel - Page 9 1292597362

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=29938

Official Press Release

The biggest event in Ultimate Comics history just got bigger, as superstar artist Mark Bagley returns to Marvel and the series he helped make one of the best-selling of all time! Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #156 reunites the record-setting duo of Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley to kick off “Death of Spider-Man”. With a new creative team and the biggest Ultimate story ever, you can’t miss a single issue of Ultimate Comics Spider-Man!

"While I appreciate the opportunities DC afforded me, it's great to be coming home to my first love—Marvel,” said Bagley. “I'm thrilled to be working with Brian again and I’m totally excited by our new project.”

Together, the team of Bendis and Bagley revolutionized the comic book world with Ultimate Spider-Man, setting a new record for consecutive issues by a single creative team and producing some of the most acclaimed comic books of all-time.

Bendis exclaimed. “I’ve been jumping up and down with excitement! Mark and I have huge plans this year both in both the Marvel Universe and Ultimate Comics Universe and this is just the beginning. Join me in saying my new favorite catchphrase: Bagley's Back!!”

The team that sold over a million copies of Ultimate Spider-Man Vol.1 is back together for their biggest story yet—“Death of Spider-Man”—because in the Ultimate Universe there are no rules and you never know what to expect next!

ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #156
Pencils & Cover by MARK BAGLEY
Rated T+ …$3.99
ON-SALE IN MARCH

Bagley had a legendary run on USM but I've loved what David Lafuente's been doing...gonna miss his art.

220Ultimate Marvel - Page 9 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:43 pm

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Love that Bagley's coming back, but for the story;

thumbs down

If only we had an emoticon representing a turd.

221Ultimate Marvel - Page 9 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:00 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Ultimate Marvel - Page 9 1292597362

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=29938

Official Press Release

The biggest event in Ultimate Comics history just got bigger, as superstar artist Mark Bagley returns to Marvel and the series he helped make one of the best-selling of all time! Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #156 reunites the record-setting duo of Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley to kick off “Death of Spider-Man”. With a new creative team and the biggest Ultimate story ever, you can’t miss a single issue of Ultimate Comics Spider-Man!

"While I appreciate the opportunities DC afforded me, it's great to be coming home to my first love—Marvel,” said Bagley. “I'm thrilled to be working with Brian again and I’m totally excited by our new project.”

Together, the team of Bendis and Bagley revolutionized the comic book world with Ultimate Spider-Man, setting a new record for consecutive issues by a single creative team and producing some of the most acclaimed comic books of all-time.

Bendis exclaimed. “I’ve been jumping up and down with excitement! Mark and I have huge plans this year both in both the Marvel Universe and Ultimate Comics Universe and this is just the beginning. Join me in saying my new favorite catchphrase: Bagley's Back!!”

The team that sold over a million copies of Ultimate Spider-Man Vol.1 is back together for their biggest story yet—“Death of Spider-Man”—because in the Ultimate Universe there are no rules and you never know what to expect next!

ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #156
Pencils & Cover by MARK BAGLEY
Rated T+ …$3.99
ON-SALE IN MARCH

Bagley had a legendary run on USM but I've loved what David Lafuente's been doing...gonna miss his art.

So I reckon this run by Bagley and James Robinson on Justice League has been a bit of a disaster. It's even driven Bagley back to Marvel!

Last edited by Aussiemandias on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

222Ultimate Marvel - Page 9 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:21 pm

shiky800

shiky800
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

i am really looking forward to seeing him back on ultimate spiderman

223Ultimate Marvel - Page 9 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:51 pm

Foreigner_Man

Foreigner_Man
Ninja
Ninja

Lafuente and Pichelli will be missed, but it'll be good to have Bagley back. My guess is while Bagley goes to USM and Immonen goes to that secret Marvel project (?), Lafuente and Pichelli go to New Avengers.

224Ultimate Marvel - Page 9 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:43 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

So, is Bagley back on USM as it's regular artist, or is he just coming back for the Death of Spider-Man arc?

225Ultimate Marvel - Page 9 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:50 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ultimate Spider-Man #151

I really enjoyed this. The Peter/Johnny/Bobby stuff was gold. Bendis writes them perfectly. I swear I'd read a book just about them without any super heroics in it.

I'm glad Gwen's back. I thought that her being going would be dragged out for a long time. I'm glad it was wrapped up quickly.

Is it common for the word bitch to be seen in a book from on of the big two? May called Gwen's mom a bitch, but I could swear that if the word bitch is usually used it's "bleeped" out.

The one thing that bugged me was Iron Man. First of all, he was in a more 616 suit. Secondly, Peter has a secret identity to keep. I don't think Tony would just show up in armor at his house like that.

Ultimate Doom #1

I liked this well enough, but I really want an explanation for the complete 180 Reed has done. He seems really out of character and I hope Bendis has a good explanation for it.

I'm glad Doctor Octopus is back. I love his ultimate version.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum