The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ultimate Marvel

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 10 of 11]

226 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:53 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Ult Spider-Man #151

Maybe it's the holidays, maybe it's the issue after the anniversary. Regardless, I felt this issue was rushed, not entirely terms of Pichelli's art--so Bagley coming back is nice, but not ENTIRELY necessary--but more-so than subplots come off all very anticlimatic. The usual entertaining dialogue between Parker and his housemates is spot-on, but the plot moves slower than a snail's pace, or a Fraction arc. The cover entails something entirely different than what you get. So, for those who loved the ending of #150, I feel your pain: you've got to wait another month.

2.5/5

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

227 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:53 am

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Batman25JM wrote:
Ultimate Doom #1

I liked this well enough, but I really want an explanation for the complete 180 Reed has done. He seems really out of character and I hope Bendis has a good explanation for it.

I'm glad Doctor Octopus is back. I love his ultimate version.

You're dead right about Reed, I'm keen to know what's been going on. It certainly seems there's more than meets the eye and Reed even started to explain it a bit. I found it pretty cool that Reed didn't stop and explain all his plans to Sue. That would have been a bit too villain-esque. For me, I'm thinking Reed's not a villain. I do think, however, he's a guy who would stop at nothing if there was a need and I suspect that is what is going on.

These 4 issue minis have been great. As usual Sandoval's art was excellent in this issue.

View user profile

228 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:03 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Believe it or not this issue of Ult Comics Avengers was decent. The density of the issue is what's important here, as many of these $4 flailings could have been read under a mere 5-minutes. The breadth of the vampire's descent upon S.H.I.E.L.D. wasn't all that bad, containing a few intriguing sublots (the cloned Thor's uprisal, Blade's captive commentary) as well. #5 = 3/5

And no surpise, my Marvel Writer of the Year continues to knock everything out of the park as his Ult Comics Thor is downright nasty. The siege (sorry) by Loki Zemo, nazi Germany and the Frost Giants upon Odin's palace was poweful as Thor and his comrades never looked so defeated. Lovely cover work by Carlos Pacheco and the art only sailts smoother as the pages flip. #3 = 4/5

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

229 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:13 pm

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Ultimate Thor #3

Yep, this was great and can't wait until the next issue finale. Got to say, though, I'd happily pick up a Hickman/Pacheco regular Ultimate Thor title - not sure how much of Asgard will be left by the next issue so who knows what kind of stories will be left for those characters.

Loki, frost giants, super powered nazis, Asgardians getting wiped out, the Warriors Three making a final stand, the end of Odin and Thor about to go nuts - this had it all in just one issue!

View user profile

230 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:50 pm

Ultimate Captain America #1

Not too bad, classic Ultimate Steve Rodgers. The whole two Captains could work out very well for the title, considering that Ultimate Steve is a lot more hardcore than 616-Steve. Loved the art too. Hope this continues to be good. 4/5.

View user profile

231 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:59 am

Debaser77

avatar
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven
Review of Ultimate Comics Captain America #1 is up on the main site.

http://panelsonpages.com/?p=32349


------------------------------------
Hell has frozen over...I am now on the Twitter at http://twitter.com/Debaser77

View user profile

232 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:44 am

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Ultimate Captain America #1

I enjoyed this quite a bit. I'd love it if they made it an ongoing.

View user profile

233 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:27 am

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Zeroskull21 wrote:Ultimate Captain America #1

Not too bad, classic Ultimate Steve Rodgers. The whole two Captains could work out very well for the title, considering that Ultimate Steve is a lot more hardcore than 616-Steve. Loved the art too. Hope this continues to be good. 4/5.

Batman25JM wrote:Ultimate Captain America #1

I enjoyed this quite a bit. I'd love it if they made it an ongoing.

I liked it too. Little early to say I'd like it as an ongoing but definitely liked it. Actually I have to say I don't mind this mini series approach to the Ultimate Universe. I think it works really well.

View user profile

234 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:59 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
U.C.C.A. #1

This case is one of the few times I wouldn’t mind Wolverine having another book. “What!” you say? Well, allow me to explain. Aaron’s take on Steve Rogers during the recent Weapon X run was so good it just had to be the primary reason for this Ultimate take on the legendary character. Unfortunately for readers, this version is no more of a Punisher rip in red, white & blue than anything else. And that was just done in Millar’s recent version of Mr. Castle in U.C. Avengers. Bah. Sure, it’s Jason Aaron at the helm, but that does not necessarily mean the esteemed writer should get a past. At the very least, Aaron should be held to a much higher standard.

His take on Wolverine in the 616 is surely unparalleled. If Logan joined this brand new John McClane-inspired Cap to rip through serum-driven drones and cool down later with a fair brew or too, then fine, the direction of this title could be more lucid. This Captain—other than a few typical Jason Stratham moments—inspires little. Aaron could deploy a new bad-ass Wolvie to a more personable Super Soldier; sort of a Lethal Weapon gone mad.

If the plotting didn’t match up with Ultimate Thor, neither does its art. And it’s a bit of a surprise, considering how well Ron Garney’s sleek pencils flowed with Aaron’s techno-genic mass undertakings. Harsh neon green blades were a plenty, characters conveyed much maligning, backdrops reminded of a Terminatorland where reality was invaded by the far evocative future. Rather, this issue’s digital ink was slapped together in no time, perhaps to coincide with the looming movie buzz. With classic Wolverine in the resume, this creative team will always be one of my faves; though you have to think with this pedestrian effort, their better days could very well be behind them.

2/5

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

235 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:46 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Ultimate Spider-Man #152

I enjoyed this. I keep saying it, but I just love the Peter/Johnny/Bobby trio.

I'm glad they addressed Iron Man showing up on their front lawn.

I like that Peter and Gwen had an amicable breakup.

I'd love a poster of that last page.

----------------------

Ultimate Doom #2

I thought this was good.

The stuff with Spider-Man was awesome. That page when he first showed up was gorgeous. The art in the whole issue was superb.

I really like Spider-Man and Spider-Woman together. I really hope when this is over they explore their relationship more (as well as her sexuality).

It looks like Ultimate Reed wasn't who he appeared to be all these years. I'm quite interested to see what happens next and if Reed is as crazy as he seems.

I have to say that this is how you do a universe changing story. The Ultimate Enemy Trilogy is awesome and it puts Ultimatum to even more shame.

View user profile

236 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:28 pm

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Batman25JM wrote:
Ultimate Doom #2

I thought this was good.

The stuff with Spider-Man was awesome. That page when he first showed up was gorgeous. The art in the whole issue was superb.

I really like Spider-Man and Spider-Woman together. I really hope when this is over they explore their relationship more (as well as her sexuality).

It looks like Ultimate Reed wasn't who he appeared to be all these years. I'm quite interested to see what happens next and if Reed is as crazy as he seems.

I have to say that this is how you do a universe changing story. The Ultimate Enemy Trilogy is awesome and it puts Ultimatum to even more shame.

Completely agree.

Sandoval has definitely done excellent work on this series over the last year.

I LOVE how Sue looks back on that previous conversation and suddenly sees it in a new light after what she's now learned about Reed. That was excellent!

View user profile

237 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:28 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
#152 of Ult Spidey was the definition of filler. Let's get it on already!

And why oh why was Black Cat on the cover? Nothing really came out of that plot thread..

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

238 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:52 am

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
The Black Cat stuff is still going on. I'm sure we'll find out more next issue.

See, I liked that Bendis isn't trying to shove the story down our throats. He's giving us some down issues. I like that.

View user profile

239 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:34 am

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
there's already been too many down issues lol

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

240 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:11 am

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I kind of like that here though. Bendis has such a great handle on these characters that "nothing" can happen and I'm still entertained. Maybe I like his down Ultimate Spidey issues so much because I'm such a fan of teen dramas and that's what these issues are essentially are. Smile

View user profile

241 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:49 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Ultimate Comics Thor #2-#4

I was lukewarm with issue #1 and thus didn't jump on reading issue #2 or #3, but I decided to read them after getting #4. I ended up quite liking them. Balder being Donald Blake was a very nice touch.


Ultimate Comics New Ultimates #5

Meh. This was okay, but after such a long delay I really don't care anymore. The story seemed to wrap up a little to quickly and conveniently. I'm a little confused on some stuff now. So, was Thor just mad and lashing out all on his own, or was Loki actually controlling/manipulating him? Also, is Thor a god again, or is he still a god reborn as a mortal?

View user profile

242 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:24 pm

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Batman25JM wrote:Ultimate Comics Thor #2-#4

I was lukewarm with issue #1 and thus didn't jump on reading issue #2 or #3, but I decided to read them after getting #4. I ended up quite liking them. Balder being Donald Blake was a very nice touch.


Ultimate Comics New Ultimates #5

Meh. This was okay, but after such a long delay I really don't care anymore. The story seemed to wrap up a little to quickly and conveniently. I'm a little confused on some stuff now. So, was Thor just mad and lashing out all on his own, or was Loki actually controlling/manipulating him? Also, is Thor a god again, or is he still a god reborn as a mortal?

Ultimate Comics Thor - Hickman is without a doubt my favourite mainstream comics writer now and I thought this whole mini series was just plain excellent. I felt like he told a great story and at the same time pieced together a great history for Ultimate Thor that made sense with everything we've seen to date (excluding New Ultimates). Totally enjoyed this and, as I've said before, I would gladly read an Ultimate Thor regular title.

Then we have...

Ultimate Comics New Ultimates - You should be confused, Bats, because all the good work that Hickman did with Thor, well none of it gelled with Loeb's version. Quite frankly, I'll take Hickman's because this wasn't very good. I've had enough of the delays on these Loeb Ultimate books (and it's probably not Loeb's fault - it's most likely the artists he's paired with) which have started out well but really just completely fail to keep your interest.

I hated how this ended - the Zarda departure was a great example of this. It just kind of happened and didn't really make a lot of sense. If I recall correctly this book wasn't billed as a 5 issue mini initially but at some point that's what it became and it kind of seems to me that it was wound up early or plans changed midstream. Whatever the case it really wasn't very good.

I'd like to see Loeb leave the Ultimate universe alone now.

View user profile

243 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:29 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
^Agreed.

I too would read an ongoing Ultimate Thor book.

View user profile

244 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:15 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
*crickets*

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

245 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:23 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Aussiemandias wrote:Ultimate Comics New Ultimates - You should be confused, Bats, because all the good work that Hickman did with Thor, well none of it gelled with Loeb's version. Quite frankly, I'll take Hickman's because this wasn't very good. I've had enough of the delays on these Loeb Ultimate books (and it's probably not Loeb's fault - it's most likely the artists he's paired with) which have started out well but really just completely fail to keep your interest.

I hated how this ended - the Zarda departure was a great example of this. It just kind of happened and didn't really make a lot of sense. If I recall correctly this book wasn't billed as a 5 issue mini initially but at some point that's what it became and it kind of seems to me that it was wound up early or plans changed midstream. Whatever the case it really wasn't very good.

I'd like to see Loeb leave the Ultimate universe alone now.

Man, this book was really a roller coaster of quality huh? It started promising, then lulled, then sort of picked up, and eventually fizzled out. I agree, Loeb should probably just leave the Ultimate Universe alone, maybe just stick with Ultimate X because that's been awesome (from what I can remember Rolling Eyes ) He should stick to writing those new characters and leave the Ultimates to others.

View user profile

246 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:37 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
I really enjoyed New Ultimates for Ultimate Avengers #1...it didn't have anything to do with this week's Ult. Spidey "Death of..." prelude, but was enjoyable nonetheless..Millar came back strong after an overal very weak Ult Avengers "Vampire" arc, and Yu is...well...Yu. Always good.

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

247 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:01 am

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
LOOSECANNON wrote:I really enjoyed New Ultimates for Ultimate Avengers #1...it didn't have anything to do with this week's Ult. Spidey "Death of..." prelude, but was enjoyable nonetheless..Millar came back strong after an overal very weak Ult Avengers "Vampire" arc, and Yu is...well...Yu. Always good.

Agreed. Ultimate Avengers vs New Ultimates #1 was a great start to this big arc. I dunno why but it really felt like the original Ultimates and Ultimates 2 back when Millar was killing it. Just had to feel to it for me. Good stuff from both Millar and not surprisingly Yu.

View user profile

248 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:21 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Ultimate Spider-Man #153


This was decent. I like Ultimate Mysterio more than I've ever liked 616 Mysterio. The Spider-Man/Iron Man stuff was good. I liked how Tony said Peter should try to live by Uncle Ben's motto.

Did Mysterio kill Black Cat? One second she handing him the object and then she was unconscious.


Ultimate Avengers Vs. New Ultimates #1

I LOVE Yu's artwork so very much. It was awesome as usual. His Cap just rocked.

I do agree that this issue had a very Ultimates 1 and 2 feel, and I liked that.

The issue itself was decent. I had said I was done with Millar's Ultimate Avengers stuff because I was hating UA3 so much, but I decided to get this mainly because of Yu and also because of the Death of Spider-Man. I fail to see how this has anything to do with the Death of Spider-Man as of yet, but whatever.

One thing that bugged me was how this issue obviously dealt with what happened in UA3, but it didn't recap any of that at the beginning. I dropped UA3 halfway thorough and so I was a little lost. Now, I could gather what happened while reading the issue, but I would have much preferred to know what happened right from the start.

View user profile

249 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:18 am

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Ultimate Captain America #2

Loved it. Steve is now probably my favorite Marvel character (or at least tied with Daredevil for my favorite), and as much as I love his current position in the 616, it's nice to see him as Cap.

I'd still love for this to become an ongoing.

View user profile

250 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:55 am

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Bigtymin504 wrote:
LOOSECANNON wrote:I really enjoyed New Ultimates for Ultimate Avengers #1...it didn't have anything to do with this week's Ult. Spidey "Death of..." prelude, but was enjoyable nonetheless..Millar came back strong after an overal very weak Ult Avengers "Vampire" arc, and Yu is...well...Yu. Always good.

Agreed. Ultimate Avengers vs New Ultimates #1 was a great start to this big arc. I dunno why but it really felt like the original Ultimates and Ultimates 2 back when Millar was killing it. Just had to feel to it for me. Good stuff from both Millar and not surprisingly Yu.

Agree with both of you guys. It was good work although I actually don't think Yu's work was up to his usual standard. Not saying it was bad but I've seen better from him.

Batman25JM wrote:
Ultimate Avengers Vs. New Ultimates #1

The issue itself was decent. I had said I was done with Millar's Ultimate Avengers stuff because I was hating UA3 so much, but I decided to get this mainly because of Yu and also because of the Death of Spider-Man. I fail to see how this has anything to do with the Death of Spider-Man as of yet, but whatever.

One thing that bugged me was how this issue obviously dealt with what happened in UA3, but it didn't recap any of that at the beginning. I dropped UA3 halfway thorough and so I was a little lost. Now, I could gather what happened while reading the issue, but I would have much preferred to know what happened right from the start.

I had exactly the same view. I think they really needed a recap when this is a new series but follows so hot on the heels of another series with strong links to it.

I ditched UA3 because I was really hating it but from what I've worked out happened here I have to admit it sounds like it had a nifty ending.

I don't get Ultimate Spider-Man so I was hoping one of you guys would shed some light on the connection between this and what's going on there. Looks like from your comments there isn't really a connection given at this stage.

Batman25JM wrote:Ultimate Captain America #2

Loved it. Steve is now probably my favorite Marvel character (or at least tied with Daredevil for my favorite), and as much as I love his current position in the 616, it's nice to see him as Cap.

I'd still love for this to become an ongoing.

I didn't mind it but I don't think it's anything particularly special. I do like the differences between Ultimate Cap and 616 Cap. What I do like is these Ultimate minis - I really think it's the way to go for the Ultimate universe.

View user profile

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum