The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ultimate Marvel

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 11]

51 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:41 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Ult. Comics Spider-Man #6

Loved it! I havent' been so high on this series as some other people, as the debut issue really blew me away and a couple others were little more than okay until last month. This time, I feel satisfied.

If you're still complaining about the manga-esque art that depicts Peter as a 10-year old boy, Ice-Man as Bobby Hill not Drake, and Johnny Storm as well, Johnny Storm, then you should realize it's not going to change. At least as long as David Lafuente's on board. And I'm completely fine with it. Lafuente has storytelling chops, pushing the story at just the right pace, especially during action panels.

Even Bendis dialogue improves. Maybe the high school president and Aunt May's chat might look a little like this: "I feel ____" / "Yes." / "Okay." / "Well we ___." / "Okay." Other than that plodding scene--which is survived by some pretty great happenings towards the issue's climax, the chatting heads in the May household are sure to at least garner a smile.

Awesome ending too.

4/5 Spidey Webs - An excellent series that proves it's still the king of the Ultimate line.

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

52 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:42 pm

prescribeddrone

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
USM #6 was sorta okay and sorta not that great. Too much drama that I don't care for that much and not enough action. And I didn't get the ending. It needed more panels to be a bit more clear, IMO. If it doesn't pick up the pace, I won't hesitate to drop the book despite it being pretty good at certain issues for the most part.

View user profile

53 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:21 pm

jaydee74

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Bigtymin504 wrote:Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #5

More of the same from Bendis, the consistently entertaining drama of Peter Parker's life. The dialogue is spot on and hilarious as usual. I love this idea of turning Aunt May's house into a homeless shelter for super-teens lol. First Gwen Stacy, now Johnny Storm and Bobby Drake! I wouldn't be surprised if Kitty moves in at some point. Wink

I love the stories but I cannot get past the artwork on this book. I really dislike it.

View user profile

54 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:38 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
prescribeddrone wrote:USM #6 was sorta okay and sorta not that great. Too much drama that I don't care for that much and not enough action. And I didn't get the ending. It needed more panels to be a bit more clear, IMO. If it doesn't pick up the pace, I won't hesitate to drop the book despite it being pretty good at certain issues for the most part.

Personally, I love the drama. It's my favorite part.

What about the ending didn't you get? The cops were narrowing in on Mysterio and he blew his place up to cover his tracks.

View user profile

55 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:11 pm

prescribeddrone

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Ah okay, the ending just seemed a bit compressed and the art sorta threw me off. One minute he's having a convo with himself and the next page the place just blows up. I guess I rushed through it and got confused without looking twice until now. I thought the ending would have been a bit cooler if didn't just end so suddenly.

View user profile

56 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:30 am

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Ultimate Comics Enemy #1

I ended up trying this out and really liked it. Bendis is just the master of the Ultimate Universe. I never really followed the Ultimate Fantastic Four, but this issue had me caring about them quick. Watching Ben pour his heart out to Sue was weird to say the least lol. Would be cool to see them try it out. Also, good to see Ult Jessica Drew running around. Solid set up overall.

View user profile

57 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:55 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Ultimate Comics Enemy #1

I liked this. It was nice to see Spider-Woman again. I think there are some interesting stories that could be told with her (being a female clone of a male with all the urges of a male is very intriguing).

Is it right that Ultimate Sue is only 18? I thought she was older. How old is Ultimate Reed? He looked really REALLY young here. Much younger than he looked in the old UFF book.

I’m curious about what’s going on. I can’t wait for the next issue.

View user profile

58 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:31 pm

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Bigtymin504 wrote:Ultimate Comics Enemy #1

I ended up trying this out and really liked it. Bendis is just the master of the Ultimate Universe. I never really followed the Ultimate Fantastic Four, but this issue had me caring about them quick. Watching Ben pour his heart out to Sue was weird to say the least lol. Would be cool to see them try it out. Also, good to see Ult Jessica Drew running around. Solid set up overall.

Batman25JM wrote:Ultimate Comics Enemy #1

I liked this. It was nice to see Spider-Woman again. I think there are some interesting stories that could be told with her (being a female clone of a male with all the urges of a male is very intriguing).

Is it right that Ultimate Sue is only 18? I thought she was older. How old is Ultimate Reed? He looked really REALLY young here. Much younger than he looked in the old UFF book.

I’m curious about what’s going on. I can’t wait for the next issue.

I agree with both you guys. This wasn't bad. Basically all set up and mystery at this stage but I think it's not a bad idea to follow things up with some of these characters not being used in the other books.

I also didn't realise the Ultimate FF were so young (I've never really read their book). The way I've seen them drawn in other books they never looked this young (well Reed anyway) so I didn't realise it.

View user profile

59 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:34 pm

Nymn

avatar
Pirate
Pirate
Yah, they're all pretty young, I think their ages are as follows:
Reed & Ben: Early 20s, probably 22 or 23. I picture Ben as a bit older than Reed.
Sue: 18.
Johnny: 16 or 17.

Anyone check out Ultimate X? I know people harp on Loeb a lot, but I thought the issue was pretty good. In case anyone's wondering, the blonde guy on the cover with the Wolverine claws is

Spoiler:
Jimmy Howlett/Hudson, the son of Wolverine who has been raised by Heather and James Hudson.

View user profile

60 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:52 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Nymn wrote:Anyone check out Ultimate X? I know people harp on Loeb a lot, but I thought the issue was pretty good. In case anyone's wondering, the blonde guy on the cover with the Wolverine claws is

Spoiler:
Jimmy Howlett/Hudson, the son of Wolverine who has been raised by Heather and James Hudson.

Yeah I liked it too. I thought it was a really good first issue, I'm glad Loeb started out by telling us exactly who he was, no beating around the bush. And I thought it was really cool how he has bone claws, but he can organic metal them up like Colossus.

View user profile

61 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:55 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Ultimate Comics X #1

I didn't hate it. It was pretty enjoyable. There were a few clichés, but it wasn't too bad.

I'm curious about Jimmy's mother as well as how he can make his bone claws metal.

I'll definitely stick around for the next few issues.

View user profile

62 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:25 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
if this becomes a success, I'll get the trade

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

63 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:45 am

Sandman

avatar
Ninja
Ninja
Batman25JM wrote:Ultimate Comics X #1

I didn't hate it. It was pretty enjoyable. There were a few clichés, but it wasn't too bad.

I'm curious about Jimmy's mother as well as how he can make his bone claws metal.

I'll definitely stick around for the next few issues.
yeah I was pretty interested in that too.

View user profile

64 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:24 am

Nymn

avatar
Pirate
Pirate
Batman25JM wrote:

I'm curious about Jimmy's mother as well as how he can make his bone claws metal.

I think there's a clue in the first issue!

Wolverine: "Don't bother asking about your mother. That's in the past and you need to start thinking about the future."

Kitty: "Peter...Colossus? He could turn his skin into metal, so...Maybe. Yes."

Oh snap! Looks like Wolvie and Pete had a time travel adventure where they went back in time! A rather...intimate adventure.

View user profile

65 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:18 pm

kidspider2099

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I just got ultimate X today and it wasn't bad. I'll read it for awhile at least till it's get canceled.

View user profile

66 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:42 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Geoff Johns seems to have really dug Loeb's Ultimate X #1. Via Twitter:

"Wow. All due respect to everyone else, but Ultimate X just redefined what the Ultimate Universe can be. Bravo, Jeph and Art."

http://twitter.com/GeoffJohns0

View user profile

67 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:01 am

shiky800

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
kidspider2099 wrote:I just got ultimate X today and it wasn't bad. I'll read it for awhile at least till it's get canceled.
i thought it was a mini series

View user profile

68 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:02 am

shiky800

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
i think it said 1 of 4 on diamonds list

View user profile

69 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:13 am

kidspider2099

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
shiky800 wrote:i think it said 1 of 4 on diamonds list

i thought it was a regular series my copy says says nothing about a limited series.

View user profile

70 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:38 am

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Bigtymin504 wrote:
Nymn wrote:Anyone check out Ultimate X? I know people harp on Loeb a lot, but I thought the issue was pretty good. In case anyone's wondering, the blonde guy on the cover with the Wolverine claws is

Spoiler:
Jimmy Howlett/Hudson, the son of Wolverine who has been raised by Heather and James Hudson.

Yeah I liked it too. I thought it was a really good first issue, I'm glad Loeb started out by telling us exactly who he was, no beating around the bush. And I thought it was really cool how he has bone claws, but he can organic metal them up like Colossus.
Yep, I enjoyed the first issue too. Definitely interested enough to keep getting it and Art Adams's art looks very nice. Pretty wary of Loeb's new Ultimates coming out next month though.

Bigtymin504 wrote:Geoff Johns seems to have really dug Loeb's Ultimate X #1. Via Twitter:

"Wow. All due respect to everyone else, but Ultimate X just redefined what the Ultimate Universe can be. Bravo, Jeph and Art."

http://twitter.com/GeoffJohns0
I liked it but I'm not sure I'd go as far as Johns.

kidspider2099 wrote:
shiky800 wrote:i think it said 1 of 4 on diamonds list


i thought it was a regular series my copy says says nothing about a limited series.
It's an ongoing bi-monthly book.

View user profile

71 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:56 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
UC Armor Wars #4

I'm surprised this Warren Ellis-penned finale of Ultimate Iron Man is getting fine reviews. Sure, it contains quite possibly the best take on Stark this side of Fraction; it also contains some pretty art. What I didn't like was the cheap deux ex machina finish, a reveal that does little to register more than decrepid humor, and a last-second turn that's actually quite vague and disappointing. Without spoilers, I'll say, "just when you started to like..." Oh well.

As for the story itself, the last splash page from issue #3 gets worked under quickly, but can be easily overlooked when Ellis demonstrates his Stark full of butler sarcasm and sophisticated facetiousness. I just don't know whether any of the good things from this mini will carry on towards future installments of the Ultimate Universe. The abrupt finish might've executed those thoughts with a sharp guillotine. Like a fellow reviewer claims, I'm unsure whether keeping faith with this mini was worth the 16 bucks.

3/5 Bags&boards - Modest at most

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

72 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:38 am

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
UC Spider-Man #5

And the Ultimate Spidey goodness continues... This issue takes a step back, or step forward depending on how you look at it, halting the Ultimate Kitty Pryde reveal for a moment and shifting focus towards another neighborhood troubled teen, Rick Jones. Sure there's some backstory with this character from Ultimate Origins, but it's not a necessity for this issue's enjoyment.

There's a new artist, Takeshi, from BKV's Runaways, among other Spidey books, and his manga-inspired art keeps Lafuente's vibe alive. Takeshi's rendition of Spidey and friends is excellent both in and out of costume, especially that of McDonald's Mary Jane and roof-gliding Bobby Drake. His desire to use more panels, albeit those of bright and dynamic proportions, helps push along Bendis' character interactions with ease.

UCSM #5 might also be Bendis' best written issue of the new series. Cancel that; it is. I'm just surprised how much this series has won me over, despite teen drama never being my cup of tea. I guess it is now.

4/5 Bags&Boards - Can't stop, won't stop

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

73 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:18 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #7

This book continues its consistency. Bendis has built a universe of characters with depth around Peter. I love the take on Rick Jones...you think its a standard mutant discovering his powers story, then get the curve ball from the Ultimate Origins book awhile back. I also liked the art, the style fit the book just like Lafuenta's art.



Last edited by Bigtymin504 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

74 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:06 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #7

I really really really enjoyed this issue. This book has rocked since the reboot.

I actually missed Lafuente's art. Is he coming back?

I just LOVE the dynamic between Peter, Johnny, Bobby, and Gwen. Great stuff.

View user profile

75 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:57 pm

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
LOOSECANNON wrote:UC Armor Wars #4

I'm surprised this Warren Ellis-penned finale of Ultimate Iron Man is getting fine reviews. Sure, it contains quite possibly the best take on Stark this side of Fraction; it also contains some pretty art. What I didn't like was the cheap deux ex machina finish, a reveal that does little to register more than decrepid humor, and a last-second turn that's actually quite vague and disappointing. Without spoilers, I'll say, "just when you started to like..." Oh well.

As for the story itself, the last splash page from issue #3 gets worked under quickly, but can be easily overlooked when Ellis demonstrates his Stark full of butler sarcasm and sophisticated facetiousness. I just don't know whether any of the good things from this mini will carry on towards future installments of the Ultimate Universe. The abrupt finish might've executed those thoughts with a sharp guillotine. Like a fellow reviewer claims, I'm unsure whether keeping faith with this mini was worth the 16 bucks.

3/5 Bags&boards - Modest at most
You know what, I don't think something counts as a deus ex machina if it was planned from the beginning. Ellis clearly had planned what was in that box as very important to the story from the start so I'm not sure I agree with you on that. However, I do agree that this was a bit of an unsatisfying ending to what had been a pretty good story and character study.

The big thing for me with this mini is that Steve Kurth is a good Iron Man artist. He really does all the tech and suits really well - I think he'd be pretty good as a fill in on the main title if Larroca ever needs a break.

View user profile

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum