The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ultimate Marvel

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 4 of 11]

76 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:54 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
[quote="Aussiemandias"]
LOOSECANNON wrote:The big thing for me with this mini is that Steve Kurth is a good Iron Man artist. He really does all the tech and suits really well - I think he'd be pretty good as a fill in on the main title if Larroca ever needs a break.

Agreed. For being the two biggest Watchmen marks in all these forums, we shall battle to the bitter end. Smile

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

77 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:17 pm

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
[quote="LOOSECANNON"]
Aussiemandias wrote:
LOOSECANNON wrote:The big thing for me with this mini is that Steve Kurth is a good Iron Man artist. He really does all the tech and suits really well - I think he'd be pretty good as a fill in on the main title if Larroca ever needs a break.

Agreed. For being the two biggest Watchmen marks in all these forums, we shall battle to the bitter end. Smile
yes

View user profile

78 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:58 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Ultimate Comics Armor Wars #4

This was okay, but a bit of a letdown compared to the rest of the series. The ending also felt rushed. I think it would have been better if this book had had an extra issue or two.

The art was great, and the highlight of the book for me.

View user profile

79 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:14 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Ultimate Comics Enemy #2

I REALLY liked this. I don't know what it was, but I thoroughly enjoyed this issue. I love the dynamic between Johnny and Peter (as well as with Bobby, but that isn't seen in this issue) and the more I see it the more I like it.

It was nice to have Fury interact with Peter again. It's been WAY too long.

I love the FF, and I love them here. I love seeing them younger. While I'm loving what Hickman is doing on the 616 FF book I'm not a huge fan of the kids. It ages the characters too much. It's nice to see them young and kid free, and in a good story. The old UFF book SUCKED for most of its run (I think it was good for the first 18 issues or so).

Any time Ultimate Spider-Woman shows up I'm happy. I'm glad she's a part of this story.

The only real downside to this issue was the fact that we still don't know what is going on. It was good, but I'd like to know who and/or what is attacking them and why.

I'm kinda wondering if Ben is somehow connected to this. I think his skin flaking might have a connection to this.

View user profile

80 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:32 pm

Mnemosis

avatar
The Robert Frost of Poop
http://panelsonpages.com/?p=20170


------------------------------------
View user profile

81 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:07 pm

Fresh03

avatar
Ninja
Ninja
^^^Totally agree, I'm not sure where Jeph has been the last couple of years or why he chose Michael Bay to write his books in his absence, but I'm incline to believe that the Jeph Loeb that I knew and loved has finally resurfaced so Michael can have more time to make Optimus and Bumblebee look more "Heroic" and plot his next 8 million dollar explosion.

I'm still not touching WWHs with a fourty foot stick even if he is back to his old form, I cannot support that concept one bit, no sir.

View user profile

82 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:53 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Ult. Comics Avengers #5

After the worst issue of the bunch, Millar and Pacheco come back with their best. It's easily the lengthiest script too, meaning you probably won't take a Micro Machines Man approach to breezing through. Lots of pretty art, higher level splash's...and this Ultimate Red Skull is lot more captivating than initially thought. I loved this book so much, my eyes scanned many single pages minutes at a time.

4/5 Bags&Boards - Excellent

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

83 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:54 pm

prescribeddrone

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Ult. Comics Avengers #5 was real good.

New Ultimates #1 was pretty good.

View user profile

84 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:36 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Ultimate Comics Avengers #5

Wow. I really liked this. The Red Skull is one sadistic bastard. I actually had to put the comic down for a minute after
Spoiler:
Red Skull threw that baby out the window. Damn that is just beyond horrible.

I'm actually really liking the new characters, and Captain America is just awesome here. Loved the last to pages where he requested to speak freely.

The art was top notch as well. Can't wait for the conclusion.


Ultimate Comics New Ultimates #1

After loathing Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum I was weary about this book, but for some reason still kind of excited. I actually really liked it. Tony's narration was great. I hope that he continues to be the narrator.

And what can I say about Frank Cho? He is just fantastic plain and simple.

View user profile

85 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:01 pm

Mnemosis

avatar
The Robert Frost of Poop
I'm still seeing a LOT of hate for New Ultimates online, and I don't get it. I think, at this point, people just WANT to hate on Loeb. I know opinions are opinions for a reason, but I don't get how so many people can have such a beef with an issue so full of both heart and quality content.


------------------------------------
View user profile

86 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:26 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Mnemosis wrote:I'm still seeing a LOT of hate for New Ultimates online, and I don't get it. I think, at this point, people just WANT to hate on Loeb. I know opinions are opinions for a reason, but I don't get how so many people can have such a beef with an issue so full of both heart and quality content.

I agree, I don't see why someone could hate this, it was good. Now, I know opinions can differ, but still.

I hate it when people blindly hate something just because it is by someone they don't like (or because it is popular to hate them). It's like me with Grant Morrison. I have HATED a LOT of what I've read of his, but I don't just go in and hate something because he's the writer. I will either stay clear of something if I see he's written it, and if I do decide to check it out I go in with an open mind. Hell, I was actually kind of excited to read Batman and Robin even though I thought RIP was complete crap.

View user profile

87 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:54 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Yeah I think New Ultimates was pretty solid. It still had a few problems (Loeb threw in a couple of ridiculous lines like Hellcat saying "I so rock." lol) but overall the story is very promising. I really liked Tony in it too.

Plus the art is gorgeous. But I'm a big Cho fan...his Hela seducing Thor scene was awesome. Laughing

View user profile

88 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:10 pm

Mnemosis

avatar
The Robert Frost of Poop
See, Hellcat saying "I so rock." was perfectly in character for her Ultimate iteration. If 616 Hellcat had said it, or Ultimate Cap or something, no. But the Defenders... they were JUST superhero groupies a little while ago, and now they've got powers for real. I think this is exactly what she'd say in that role.


------------------------------------
View user profile

89 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:57 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Mnemosis wrote:See, Hellcat saying "I so rock." was perfectly in character for her Ultimate iteration. If 616 Hellcat had said it, or Ultimate Cap or something, no. But the Defenders... they were JUST superhero groupies a little while ago, and now they've got powers for real. I think this is exactly what she'd say in that role.
Good point. I actually just recently re-read Ultimates 2 (its freakin awesome btw) and I probably could see her saying it. I guess I was too quick to just chalk it up to Loeb shenanigans lol.

View user profile

90 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:06 pm

I was very pleasantly surprised by this issue. It was good, with the Stark's inner dialogue full of emotion. I caught the reference to Loeb's son and was just amazed by all of it: The normal simplicity of it while there was great emotion behind it. The style also reminded me of the Loeb we all knew and loved, narration that does not merely guide the story but enhances. My only complaint: This issue was too short. I demand more. Smile

View user profile

91 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:24 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:I was very pleasantly surprised by this issue. It was good, with the Stark's inner dialogue full of emotion. I caught the reference to Loeb's son and was just amazed by all of it: The normal simplicity of it while there was great emotion behind it. The style also reminded me of the Loeb we all knew and loved, narration that does not merely guide the story but enhances. My only complaint: This issue was too short. I demand more. Smile
Yeah the references to the boy with cancer were very touching, you know it was tough for Loeb to write that.

View user profile

92 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:45 am

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Batman25JM wrote:Ultimate Comics Enemy #2

I REALLY liked this. I don't know what it was, but I thoroughly enjoyed this issue. I love the dynamic between Johnny and Peter (as well as with Bobby, but that isn't seen in this issue) and the more I see it the more I like it.

It was nice to have Fury interact with Peter again. It's been WAY too long.

I love the FF, and I love them here. I love seeing them younger. While I'm loving what Hickman is doing on the 616 FF book I'm not a huge fan of the kids. It ages the characters too much. It's nice to see them young and kid free, and in a good story. The old UFF book SUCKED for most of its run (I think it was good for the first 18 issues or so).

Any time Ultimate Spider-Woman shows up I'm happy. I'm glad she's a part of this story.

The only real downside to this issue was the fact that we still don't know what is going on. It was good, but I'd like to know who and/or what is attacking them and why.

I'm kinda wondering if Ben is somehow connected to this. I think his skin flaking might have a connection to this.
I'm with you. Ultimate Comics Enemy was actually really, really good. I think it's a bit under the radar with the other books that have been coming out but I really enjoyed it.

Interesting point you make about Ben and I suspect you're on to something with a connection there.

Just on Hickman's FF - I think the thing with the kids is that he's keen to make the FF a family. It does age them but at the same time I think that he does want Reed and Sue playing the mother and father so that's probably key to how he's writing it. I actually think it's great that in the Ultimate Universe these guys are so young it can be a very different team - it really differentiates them from the mainstream Marvel U.

And I have to give Sandoval credit for the art - he's doing a great job and some scenes looked excellent (eg. just about anything with Ben - he draws a great Ben - and the Baxter Building blowing up).

View user profile

93 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:50 am

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Aussiemandias wrote:
Batman25JM wrote:Ultimate Comics Enemy #2

I REALLY liked this. I don't know what it was, but I thoroughly enjoyed this issue. I love the dynamic between Johnny and Peter (as well as with Bobby, but that isn't seen in this issue) and the more I see it the more I like it.

It was nice to have Fury interact with Peter again. It's been WAY too long.

I love the FF, and I love them here. I love seeing them younger. While I'm loving what Hickman is doing on the 616 FF book I'm not a huge fan of the kids. It ages the characters too much. It's nice to see them young and kid free, and in a good story. The old UFF book SUCKED for most of its run (I think it was good for the first 18 issues or so).

Any time Ultimate Spider-Woman shows up I'm happy. I'm glad she's a part of this story.

The only real downside to this issue was the fact that we still don't know what is going on. It was good, but I'd like to know who and/or what is attacking them and why.

I'm kinda wondering if Ben is somehow connected to this. I think his skin flaking might have a connection to this.
I'm with you. Ultimate Comics Enemy was actually really, really good. I think it's a bit under the radar with the other books that have been coming out but I really enjoyed it.

Interesting point you make about Ben and I suspect you're on to something with a connection there.

Just on Hickman's FF - I think the thing with the kids is that he's keen to make the FF a family. It does age them but at the same time I think that he does want Reed and Sue playing the mother and father so that's probably key to how he's writing it. I actually think it's great that in the Ultimate Universe these guys are so young it can be a very different team - it really differentiates them from the mainstream Marvel U.

And I have to give Sandoval credit for the art - he's doing a great job and some scenes looked excellent (eg. just about anything with Ben - he draws a great Ben - and the Baxter Building blowing up).

I agree with you on Hickman making the 616 FF a family. And I really like what he's doing. It's just nice to have a kid free and young FF team. I like the different feel.

I also agree about the art. I forgot to mention it, but Sandoval DOES draw a kick ass Ben. Ben was actually my favorite looking character in the issue.

View user profile

94 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:10 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Ultimate Comics Avengers #5

Really great stuff this issue. Cap once again showed how badass he is by orchastrating his capture just so he could steal a tele-plane (which are so cool btw). That's just vintage Ultimate Cap. Plus Millar's little shots at France "surrendering" are classic lol. Then we get a peek at some more past Red Skull horrors. That was tough to watch (literally sick to my stomach tough)...especially cuz we later found out that the woman is the new Wasp. She's got to be a really troubled character after that, so it will be interesting to learn more about her. All of that was really well executed by Millar. Oh, and the art is fantastic.

Ultimate Comics Enemy #2

I pretty much agree with what all you guys are saying here. More good stuff from Bendis, the dialogue is crisp and clean as usual. And I love it everytime Spidey and Fury are in the same room together lol. Agreed about the UFF too.



Basically, I'm ready to proclaim that the Ultimate Universe is definitely back baby!

View user profile

95 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:34 am

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
New Ultimates #1
Can I just say for a start that if Zarda had been making that offer to me I would have been heading up to her bedroom before she'd even got that last word out of her mouth! devil

Okay me picking up this book was like Sawyer being trapped in that bear cage on Lost getting zapped whenever he hit the button for food. I'm expecting it to hurt but I can't resist doing it. I was dreading this book but at the same time I wanted to buy it.

Well I won't forgive Loeb for Ultimates 3 or Ultimatum but I have to admit I really, really liked this. It just felt like overall better work. And people have already mentioned the humanity Stark's "narration" added (although it wasn't really narration - it was more of a character monologue).

I suspect there's a pretty big chance that the power up of the Defenders has something to do with Loki, particularly after they took Mjolnir.

And Frank Cho's art - well it's great and Loeb is quite obviously writing to his strenghts (another reason to congratulate him!). Also I'm glad they've gone with a bi-monthly schedule if it's going to keep Cho on time.

Great first issue.



Ultimate Comics Avengers #5

Yep, like everyone's said, this was a good issue. I have to say it appeared to me that Pacheco's art was a bit off here and I suspect it's to do with him falling behind schedule. Looked very sketchy to me.

Not a fan of Nerd Hulk though. I hate clones - I think there some of the most overused and lazy plot devices around these days in comics.

Bigtymin504 wrote:Ultimate Comics Avengers #5
Then we get a peek at some more past Red Skull horrors. That was tough to watch (literally sick to my stomach tough)...especially cuz we later found out that the woman is the new Wasp. She's got to be a really troubled character after that, so it will be interesting to learn more about her.
Don't get me wrong - I liked the issue - but that stuff with the Skull's background. Damn that was manipulative writing. Millar needs to show us how evil the Red Skull is so he shows us that he killed a baby and assassinated JFK. We get it. He's evil. I'm not a fan of such obviousness. Then again I don't think anyone would ever accuse Millar of subtlety.


I don't know about you guys but I sort of think these Ultimates books could do with separate threads. I don't think this is ideal having them all together like this.

View user profile

96 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:58 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Aussiemandias wrote:
I don't know about you guys but I sort of think these Ultimates books could do with separate threads. I don't think this is ideal having them all together like this.

I would much prefer separate threads for the Ultimate books, but I don't want to start another board wide argument. Very Happy

View user profile

97 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:58 pm

Mnemosis

avatar
The Robert Frost of Poop
Separate threads for the Ultimate books would lead to separate threads for the X-Books, separate threads for the Bat books, etc. We settled on this format to keep "clutter" down, and with less than half a dozen Ultimate books, we really don't see it being a problem to handle them all in one thread.

Sorry to anyone bothered by that.


------------------------------------
View user profile

98 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:04 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
^It's not that big a deal, I've gotten used to it.

However, there are separate threads for the Bat books as well as the X books.

View user profile

99 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:21 pm

Mnemosis

avatar
The Robert Frost of Poop
Hmmm... hadn't realized THAT happened. I'm a little hesitant, still, since some of these are just minis, but... I'll keep my eyes open and see what we can do in the future once the publishing line-up has normalized.


------------------------------------
View user profile

100 Re: Ultimate Marvel on Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:27 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
If you ever did decide to split this thread up you could have one thread for Ultimate Spidey, one for Ultimate Avengers and Ultimate New Ultimates (combined), one for Ultimate X, and one for Ultimate minis. Or you could have one for Ult. Avengers and then combine Ultimate X and Ultimate New Ultimates as sort of an Ultimate Loeb thread.

These are just suggestions, again, it really isn't that big of a deal. I've gotten used to the way it is.

View user profile

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum