The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Daredevil

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

26 Re: Daredevil on Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:31 pm

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Daredevil #502

Amazing, just amazing. Diggle is exceeding my already high expectations. This continues to be my favorite book on the stands.

The art was great. Both artists did a good job. I LOVE the shot of DD jumping over the cop car as it's hit with bullets.

DD in charge of the Hand is becoming more and more interesting each issue. You can really see that DD is in way over his head.

The Kingpin is freakin' awesome. I love that he's a big part of the book again.

View user profile

27 Re: Daredevil on Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:43 pm

shiky800

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Batman25JM wrote:Daredevil #502

Amazing, just amazing. Diggle is exceeding my already high expectations. This continues to be my favorite book on the stands.

The art was great. Both artists did a good job. I LOVE the shot of DD jumping over the cop car as it's hit with bullets.

DD in charge of the Hand is becoming more and more interesting each issue. You can really see that DD is in way over his head.

The Kingpin is freakin' awesome. I love that he's a big part of the book again.
i have to say i feal like there is something lissing in DD right now and i can't put my finger on it

View user profile

28 Re: Daredevil on Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:39 pm

Bigtymin504

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Daredevil #503

Diggle is doing an amazing job with this book. I like this new direction he's taking Daredevil in, and the fact that you can't really tell which way Matt's gonna fall is intriguing. And I liked the part with Kingpin talking about the new "kingpin of crime" The Hood. Plus, that Hand ninja committing that honor suicide at the end was nuts!

View user profile

29 Re: Daredevil on Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:45 pm

LOOSECANNON

Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Daredevil #503

It seems that the Daredevil title itself has been great since Frank Miller's classic run. This issue keeps the ball rolling, even when Matt Murdock is a confused "hero" himself. Last issue, when things got quiet, almost ret-conned style in its performance, Andy Diggle throws us all out for a loop; he goes so far as to having The Hand do more dasterdly deeds than ever before. It doesn't appear this status quo is going to change as initially thought.

Good. We like Daredevil when he's played into undesirable situations (see Bendis, prison / Brubaker, mental wife). Funny thing is, even Izo claims Matt's mind is as clear as ever. Even so, this Daredevil isn't playing around until he gets what he wants and that's Kingpin on a silver platter. De La Torre does his best to keep the gritty noir feel of the pencils going, and the supporting cast is as interesting as it's been in a while. That shows good writing by Diggle, who shows that Marvel's all-time most consistent title is in good hands. Again.

4/5 - Don't see this ever leaving my punch list. At least until you're named writer.

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

30 Re: Daredevil on Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:29 pm

prescribeddrone

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
#504 was EXCELLENT. It had me saying and thinking wow throughout THE WHOLE issue. Daredevil turned into one dark bastard and I love it. He's actually turned into an anti-hero, a Jason Todd of sorts.

View user profile

31 Re: Daredevil on Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:56 pm

Bigtymin504

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Yeah #504 was awesome. Daredevil is in full on badass mode and not taking any more shit from Norman. He's really using The Hand as a tool in all this. Also, I'm really interested in this "Shadowland" he mentioned.

There was leaked news last year that there would be a street-level crossover in 2010 called "The Shadowland" or something. Billy Tan said he's drawing but no writer was announced. Maybe its Diggle...

Here's the link:
http://www.comicvine.com/news/marvel-promotions-and-shadowland-event/140224/

View user profile

32 Re: Daredevil on Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:32 am

LOOSECANNON

Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
DD #504

Surprisingly, I wasn't so big on this issue like I've been in the past. I just want something to happen. A lot of these threads stirring through this issue about Matt are just that--threads. It's time to put them all together and equal something bombastic. While nice to see Daredevil turn complete badass and not give on his leading of The Hand, the rest of the book felt monotonous. That said, the art is still top-notch, and the set-up (especially for the "The Shadowland" and a possible Bullseye vs. Lady Bullseye lovefest/showdown) already has fans buzzing. Not the best DD issue, nonetheless effective.

3/5 B&B - I'm a little hard on the book. Why not? It's been great over really good.

33 Re: Daredevil on Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:47 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
This issue just left me fealing all meh. I thought that the arc was exciting at first, but it toned down a lot and is starting to feel like every issue is the same, not to the extent of Cable, but to me it feels like it is going down that road for a bit here soon.

View user profile

34 Re: Daredevil on Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:21 pm

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I LOVED #504. This continues to be my favorite Marvel book. I love how DD is using the Hand. He's not pussyfooting around. And I like how Dakota and Foggy have taken matters into their own hands to get their jobs back.

View user profile

35 Re: Daredevil on Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:56 pm

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Daredevil #505

Still awesome, and still my favorite Marvel book.

I'm just loving the further developments with DD and the Hand. I can't wait to see what the Daimyō have in store for Matt.

View user profile

36 Re: Daredevil on Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:34 pm

I agree batman...Daredevil is my favorit marvel book as well...Matt is the man.

View user profile http://www.synergycomic.com

37 Re: Daredevil on Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:19 pm

LOOSECANNON

Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
"I agree batman..." <<<sorry that made me lol!

Daredevil #505

Andy Diggle has impressed me since taking over for Brubaker but never more than now. After last month's first mediocre blip in Diggle DD resume, the writer comes back with a vengeance. Simply, there's not a bigger reason than scenary change: Japan. With the change in territory, not surprisingly comes change in attitudes. Not everyone in The Hand is following, or willing to. Even those who initially appear to have Murdock's back in his uniting of ninjas have second thoughts. As we're introduced to these new players, Diggle does a good job incorporating little personalities to go along with them. No one more intriguing than Bakuto. He reminds me of the type of young Asian mafiaman you'd see on Burn Notice.

Marco Checchetto does his best to emulate the style and success of Roberto De La Torre. I was most impressed with the level of detail in the new ninjas we're introduced to, and the pallette/shading of the book could not survive without colorist Matt Hollingsworth. Some people don't get enough credit in the workings of a comic, and Hollingsworth is a prime example. The book consistently stays within the dark realm of hellish reds and deep blacks and never gets stagnant. There's just so much effectual personality in terms of how objects appear and move within the panels. Even the slight domino-playing panel focusing on the confident "luck" of Bakuto has something demonic to it.

Glad to see one of my favorite titles maintain its high level.

4/5 Bags&Boards - Marvel Book of the Week?

38 Re: Daredevil on Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:32 am

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Daredevil #506

Loved this. The art, the story, everything was great.

So, I have a question. I'm not that well versed with the Hand, does the fact that White Tiger's eyes being red mean she's being mind controlled or not? I kinda hope that she's not willingly complicit in this. I liker her a lot as a partner to Matt.

View user profile

39 Re: Daredevil on Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:03 pm

LOOSECANNON

Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Daredevil #506

Daredevil’s clearly on the top of its game right now. The book continues to be fantastic, trudging through the noxious waters of the inner politics of The Hand, not to mention pushing Matt Murdock’s intentions and aspirations as leader to the brink. This issue begins where last month’s issue left off, tracking Matt and fellow Hand exec Bakuto as they grudgingly team together against a horde of demonic ninjas ostensibly controlled by Hand magic. The banter exchanged by the reluctant egomaniacs on top of an enormity of stabbing and slicing is enough to make any fan of Kill Bill proud, as this peevish state of The Hand’s legacy continues.

Although Daredevil #506 contains a plethora of instances worth noting, not all would be possible without the art. The aforementioned opening sends off the most hallucinogenic of panels, including gruesome shots of fried ninjas, as splattering blood paints and misty green waves ooze dark spirits out of their diced limbs. Again, colorist Matt Hollingsworth’s incongruent timing of seeping reds depicting a most iconic Daredevil and bold surfaces during action sequences is highly remarkable, if not the espionage comic genre’s very best. Just check out the perfectly positioned silhouette of Daredevil, as he leaps and bounds over the poisoned ninjas while Bakuto handles his business in the panel’s forefront. The descriptive character work by Checchetto is so adept at emulating realism that it’s now unnecessary to call for any of the numerous profound artists who worked on Daredevil (i.e. Maleev, Lark) in the past. With pencils this superb it shouldn’t take Checchetto long to join that exclusive club.

Gratefully, the writing from the team of Diggle and Johnston doesn’t let the art down. One can only assume this is Diggle’s plot and Johnston’s dialogue, and it’s in the dialogue where a few panels fall flat (Edit: Antony Johnston e-mailed me to tell me they shared both dialogue and plotting duties. For this terrible assumption, I apologize). Although one panel midway through the book tells a lot about the comic’s final page, the scene ends pretty stale, as some of the words stressed in bold come off none other than ninja story clichés. Not that there’s need for any Morrison hyperspace linguistics, or Gaiman-inspired allegories, perhaps just something with a lot more emphasis than terms like “wholesale murder” and “I’m going after him.” Murdock would come off a pretty mundane leader to me! But, it’s in the shocking reveals and plotting that picks up the slack.

Daredevil’s nightmare (which might seem like a dream for some) should have pulses beating, while the best scenes contain briefings about the bit of an inside job going on, as both trust and defiance knuckle up. During a meeting of minds between the fractious principals of the Hand cabal, Daredevil reverts to reverse psychology. His longing for unity infuriates Bakuto, despite the fact Matt came to his aid not once but twice earlier in the issue. Clearly, the Daimyo of the Hand has his own inexorable suspicions. While Matt’s original intentions were to use bad to solve good, isn’t this always the case with Daredevil: Matt bargains off more than he can chew. And as Daredevil fans, we shouldn’t have it any other way.

4/5 Lustfully Bloody Dreams - Excellent

40 Re: Daredevil on Wed May 05, 2010 4:02 pm

Bigtymin504

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Just read #506 and freakin loved it. The end was a total "oh sh--" moment! Great curve ball! blink

View user profile

41 Re: Daredevil on Wed May 05, 2010 4:03 pm

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
^Right?!

I just LOVE this book. It's my favorite thing on the stands right now.

View user profile

42 Re: Daredevil on Wed May 05, 2010 4:09 pm

Bigtymin504

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Batman25JM wrote:So, I have a question. I'm not that well versed with the Hand, does the fact that White Tiger's eyes being red mean she's being mind controlled or not? I kinda hope that she's not willingly complicit in this. I liker her a lot as a partner to Matt.

I took it as her using some of that dark magic of the Left Hand Path stuff they mentioned, but no way to know for sure yet. I really liked her partnership with Matt too, but I actually do hope she's willingly complicit rather than mind-controlled. Mind control is so overplayed in comics but rarely do you see heroes genuinely turn on each other. I think it would be a bold and refreshing move if they went that route.

View user profile

43 Re: Daredevil on Wed May 05, 2010 4:19 pm

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
^ True. As long as the Black Tarantula is still Matt's ally I'll be happy.

View user profile

44 Re: Daredevil on Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:30 pm

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Daredevil #507

Sooooooooo good, just soooooooo good.

View user profile

45 Re: Daredevil on Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:09 pm

Aussiemandias

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Okay I hadn't been collecting this book but with Shadowland attracting my interest and on the recommendation of a couple of you I decided to pick up Diggle's entire run so far (#501-506). I picked up Daredevil:The List yesterday but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

A few comments on Diggle's run so far:

- Bloody excellent. I can't believe I wasn't getting this already. It's quality work and now one of my top books.
- This title is blessed with great artwork. De La Torre and Checchetto have both been doing fantastic work that is just so right for the book.
- The storyline is intriguing to say the least.
- I've seen a couple of comments here that not much seems to be happening and I don't get that. Maybe it's because I've read all these issues at once but this really is very well constructed and paced beautifully. I think Diggle does a great job building up a few issues to action sequences - as can be seen in this latest 3 issue arc which leads to some great action in #507.
- I'm in!!!!

Issue #507

I think this may have been the best issue of Diggle's run. Fantastic action sequences complete with brilliant art from Checchetto and it just feels like everything is being done beautifully here. Diggle is really orchestrating this whole story extremely well and moving all the chess pieces nicely.

The whole White Tiger thing is very interesting with her still obviously under the control of The Hand. It appears to me to be something she can break at some stage.

This was one of the best issues of any comic of the year for me (although really it's a combination of the last 2 issues with this one).

Not sure what this Snakeroot business is? Does anyone know what that means?

View user profile

46 Re: Daredevil on Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:07 am

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
^I'm so glad you like the book. It really is excellent.

I don't really know anything about Snakeroot. When I typed it into Wikipedia it redirected me to The Hand. At the top of the page it said "[The Hand was] founded in 1588 as a secret society of Japanese nationalist samurai but were soon co-opted by the Snakeroot, an ancient ninja clan which serves a primordial demon known only as The Beast."

View user profile

47 Re: Daredevil on Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:33 pm

LOOSECANNON

Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
DD #507

After several spectacular issues, this merely "set-up" of Shadowland bows as easily the worst of Diggle and Johnston's run thus far. And that's not to implicate it as a bad issue. There's at least one shocking moment and some scripting techniques that were effective; yet, I just couldn't help the feeling that editor's were looming over the co-writers' shoulders in anticipation of Shadowland.

Maybe I've just been spoiled with how incredible this title has been.

The art's good--and I've praised it lately--however now with a few books in a row put down things are starting to appear rather stagnant. Good, just not as special as initially. De La Torre returns to the summer event, so it should be interesting to see just how Matt deals with the other players of the MU for once--and I'll be glad to pick them up as they release.

3/5

48 Re: Daredevil on Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:43 pm

Aussiemandias

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Batman25JM wrote:Daredevil #507

Bats, I'm so with you on this. This is really good comics. Loosecannon - I really don't get where you're coming from. You actually think this story isn't well done and suffering from editorial interference? It's like we're reading 2 different books. After reading all 7 issues of Diggle's run in a row this was superbly constructed and a whole lot more than just set up for Shadowland. It's actually the big picture being slowly revealed here and a very important fact - Daredevil is being manipulated. This is critical stuff and very beautifully done.

View user profile

49 Re: Daredevil on Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:53 pm

LOOSECANNON

Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Sorry, I just looked and it was Daredevil #357..

Don't know what I was thinking lmao

50 Re: Daredevil on Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:36 pm

Bigtymin504

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Aussiemandias wrote:
Batman25JM wrote:Daredevil #507

Bats, I'm so with you on this. This is really good comics. Loosecannon - I really don't get where you're coming from. You actually think this story isn't well done and suffering from editorial interference? It's like we're reading 2 different books. After reading all 7 issues of Diggle's run in a row this was superbly constructed and a whole lot more than just set up for Shadowland. It's actually the big picture being slowly revealed here and a very important fact - Daredevil is being manipulated. This is critical stuff and very beautifully done.

Agreed with you guys, and great to have you caught up and on board Aussie. Smile

I also think we need to give Antony Johnson some credit too cuz he's been co-writing with Diggle for the past few issues. They've done an amazing job so far, Shadowland has all the makings for a classic.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum