Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Avengers

+15
jaydee74
DickGrayson007
comicgeekelly
Mnemosis
Debaser77
Metal Misfit
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Bigtymin504
hrdwrkngXsoldier
shiky800
Fresh03
Batman25JM
Aussiemandias
prescribeddrone
LOOSECANNON
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 8]

176New Avengers - Page 8 Empty Re: New Avengers Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:09 am

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

Bigtymin504 wrote:I think the fact that Bendis put so much effort into building the character up to relevancy tells me that it's not the last we've seen of him/her.

I just look at it as effort put in to make his death more relevant/heartfelt.

Aussiemandias wrote:I thought it was an okay issue but in some ways I don't know how it took 6 issues to get here... Moments along the way were good but the overall story I'm kind of feeling maybe wasn't so good and I guess that's a frustration I'm starting to feel with Bendis's writing. I'm seeing his strength as dialogue and smaller moments but the larger plot is not a big strength

Your assessment here is exactly how I feel about Bendis, Whedon, and a handful of others. They have such WONDERFUL dialog that I LOVE reading the book. When I look back, however, I don't enjoy the stories on the whole. This should have been three issues. 1 - Let's get together. OH NO! We're under attack! 2 - Who's attacking us!? 3 - Let's fight back! Oops, Dr. Voodoo's dead! This issue filled its role perfectly as the final issue, but it definitely took WAY too long to get here.

Batman25JM wrote:New Avengers #6
Immonen's art is gorgeous. I love it more and more each issue. I agree that he draws a great Wolverine (I was thinking that all throughout the issue). I also LOVE his Thing.

my favorite part of issue #6: Daimon Hellstrom's little rant to the people outside the mansion. That was just great.

I've ALWAYS loved Immonen's art, but it has DEFINITELY gotten better over the years. And Hellstrom's rant, to me, gets him a lock as a New Avenger. He's been getting built up and making a lot of appearances recently, so it makes sense.

To me, the Secret Avengers - though I don't get WHY they have to stay a secret - have their gimmick. The Avengers are the big names. New Avengers should be exactly that... characters new to the mantle of Avengers. They're not quite ready for the Kangs and the Ultrons.

Here, then, are my rosters:

Avengers: Lead by Captain America, the poster child for "Avengers," you keep Iron Man, and Thor, and add in Ms. Marvel, Beast, Hawkeye, and Mockingbird
Secret Avengers: Lead by Nick Fury, the poster child for "Secret," I'd want War Machine, Black Widow, and Moon Knight to stay. They get augmented by Tygra, Protector, who takes the heavy hitter role from Nova and Valkyrie, and Wasp, who makes up for the loss of Beast and frees up Eric O'Grady,
New Avengers: Lead by Luke Cage, poster child for "Holy crap! He's an Avenger now?" the team should consist of Hellstrom, Firestar, Spider-Man, Thing (if he's staying with the Avengers), Wolverine, Ant-Man, Spider-Woman, and Nova if he's still alive. With this roster, I'd LOVE to see Iceman join, or at least guest star, to unite the Amazing Friends in the 616.

Steve's not on any of these teams in particular. He plays the old Nick Fury role of popping up as needed, but should get his own ongoing where he just kicks ass mostly solo.

What you're looking at is a cosmic-level team with a classic Avengers pedigree, an espionage team with some dark horses you maybe can't parade around, and a street level team with a LOT of potential for wit and camaraderie.

177New Avengers - Page 8 Empty Re: New Avengers Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:07 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Likes^^^^^^

New Avengers had incredible art, but the magic subtitles got annoying as many of them were repetitious...it ended decently, so we'll see...I agree that this issue was the weakest of the six, and that this arc could have easily been told in 3 or 4 issues.

Aussie! My favorite critic, have a nice holiday brother. Til we meet agayne...

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

178New Avengers - Page 8 Empty Re: New Avengers Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:06 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

this "talking heads" issue was enjoyable considering all the rumble tumble mumbo jumbo the last several issues...seeing Doctor Strange so humanized was interesting, the babysitter/nanny humor was on-cue, and the bickering between Park and Norman's old secretary was bound to come...there's a crossover with Secret on the way, so a "downtime" issue like this was just what the doctor ordered...pun included.

179New Avengers - Page 8 Empty Re: New Avengers Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:59 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

New Avengers #7

This was hands down my favorite issue since the relaunch. This kind of character stuff is what Bendis excels at.

Spider-Man was pitch perfect here. Loved him freaking out when Hand revealed she worked for Norman Osborn. And his reaction to not getting a check was perfect and hilarious.

I loved Jessica Jones before this, but I love her even more now. Her putting Luke Cage in his place was awesome.

180New Avengers - Page 8 Empty Re: New Avengers Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:41 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I loved the two pages of interviews in issue 7. There was some really funny stuff in there.

181New Avengers - Page 8 Empty Re: New Avengers Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:54 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:this "talking heads" issue was enjoyable considering all the rumble tumble mumbo jumbo the last several issues...seeing Doctor Strange so humanized was interesting, the babysitter/nanny humor was on-cue, and the bickering between Park and Norman's old secretary was bound to come...there's a crossover with Secret on the way, so a "downtime" issue like this was just what the doctor ordered...pun included.

Batman25JM wrote:New Avengers #7

This was hands down my favorite issue since the relaunch. This kind of character stuff is what Bendis excels at.

Spider-Man was pitch perfect here. Loved him freaking out when Hand revealed she worked for Norman Osborn. And his reaction to not getting a check was perfect and hilarious.

I loved Jessica Jones before this, but I love her even more now. Her putting Luke Cage in his place was awesome.

I thoroughly enjoyed this issue for a lot of the same reasons you guys mention above. It was just so much fun and I'd rather an issue like this now and then rather than Bendis trying to squeeze too much of this stuff into the middle of an action based storyline. Anyway, definitely my favourite issue of this series so far.

I really liked how they got Dr Strange to join (actually if you read the issue he never actually agrees! They've just taken him in anyway). He's an interesting addition to the team. I see Dr Strange as a very suave, cultured sort of guy - none of the other characters are like that at all. Plus he fit in with most of these guys pretty well previously.

The Spidey not getting a check stuff was great and I thought well drawn by Immonen - great reactions from Spidey. You can feel his pain.

And then there was Wong's arrival - "I prayed that one day I would grow up to be a second-rate Jarvis for a second-rate pile of Avengers." That was gold!

Excellent issue.

182New Avengers - Page 8 Empty Re: New Avengers Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:14 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yup great issue. Poor D-Man. Laughing

Oh and did Logan tap that squirrel-ass??

183New Avengers - Page 8 Empty Re: New Avengers Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:45 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

#8 was mostly another solid "talking heads" issue with a bit of random action thrown in. I love Luke and Jessica's relationship. They consult each other before making big life decisions. Bendis has done a great job with them and building their relationship over the years, it feels real. Now it just remains to be seen if she'll go with the name Power Woman lol.

I definitely missed Immonen this issue but Daniel Acuña did a decent enough job, it looked much better then his stuff on this book last year.

184New Avengers - Page 8 Empty Re: New Avengers Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:13 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

New Avengers #8

Loved it. The Luke/Jessica stuff was great.

I greatly missed Immonen. I'm not really a fan of Acuña's art, though I didn't hate it here as much as I usually do.

The exchange at the end when Jessica said she'd go by Power Woman and then took it back was great. I liked the stuff with Spidey, but the New Avengers do know he's white, even with the full body stocking. They know who he is (well, most of them do).

185New Avengers - Page 8 Empty Re: New Avengers Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:32 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:#8 was mostly another solid "talking heads" issue with a bit of random action thrown in. I love Luke and Jessica's relationship. They consult each other before making big life decisions. Bendis has done a great job with them and building their relationship over the years, it feels real. Now it just remains to be seen if she'll go with the name Power Woman lol.

I definitely missed Immonen this issue but Daniel Acuña did a decent enough job, it looked much better then his stuff on this book last year.

Batman25JM wrote:New Avengers #8

Loved it. The Luke/Jessica stuff was great.

I greatly missed Immonen. I'm not really a fan of Acuña's art, though I didn't hate it here as much as I usually do.

The exchange at the end when Jessica said she'd go by Power Woman and then took it back was great. I liked the stuff with Spidey, but the New Avengers do know he's white, even with the full body stocking. They know who he is (well, most of them do).

I wasn't as happy with this issue. I absolutely loved last issue so I thought it was a little bit of overkill to give us more of the same this issue - I realise there was some action but I felt it was a pretty weak sequence. I don't know, I just felt like "get on with the story, please".

186New Avengers - Page 8 Empty Re: New Avengers Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:45 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Good dialogue, okay issue. I'm a huge fan of Alias. This lacked the detective, inner-angst monologue stuff Smile

187New Avengers - Page 8 Empty Re: New Avengers Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:27 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This made me want the Alias mini that Bendis has been promising even more. I really enjoyed the issue, but I can completly understand why somebody wouldn't.

188New Avengers - Page 8 Empty Re: New Avengers Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:46 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

New Avengers #9

I was a little unsure what to think about this issue. It seems to me that the stake-out scenario and take down of the bad guys served no purpose except to get into a situation where Mockingbird was injured. I could be wrong but that seemed about it. Bendis's big picture storytelling is kind of aggravating me a bit lately - great dialogue - poor plots. Anyway, not saying it was a bad issue but I just don't think I really like how Bendis has put this together. Regardless, I'm sure some drama will arise out of what has happened to Mockingbird.

And on top of this we have what looks like another secret history type scenario involving Nick Fury as being the main plot coming up. I do think this is starting to be a pretty overused device just lately with Nick Fury but I'm kind of a sucker for this stuff so it will be interesting to see learn what's going on.

Last edited by Aussiemandias on Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total

189New Avengers - Page 8 Empty Re: New Avengers Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:34 am

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm really want to know how the Fury stuff will fit in with the main story.

190New Avengers - Page 8 Empty Re: New Avengers Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:14 am

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

New Avengers #9

This issue was weird. It just felt off. The Fury stuff will obviously lead into something more, but here it just felt tacked on and awkward. Also, having an Avengers Initiative in 1959 doesn't sit well with me. We'll see where it goes.

The stakeout portion of the book was fine. It has some great dialogue and beautiful art. Honestly, I kind of wish that Deodato would take over art duties on New Avengers after Brubaker leaves Secret Avengers, and then have Stuart Immonen move over to The Avengers and relieve JRJR. Or, hell, just have Immonen draw both New Avengers and Avengers.

191New Avengers - Page 8 Empty Re: New Avengers Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:26 am

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Is Stuart Immonen off this book for good? I haven't heard anything, but I don't actively look for this info.

192New Avengers - Page 8 Empty Re: New Avengers Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:34 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:New Avengers #9

This issue was weird. It just felt off. The Fury stuff will obviously lead into something more, but here it just felt tacked on and awkward. Also, having an Avengers Initiative in 1959 doesn't sit well with me. We'll see where it goes.

The stakeout portion of the book was fine. It has some great dialogue and beautiful art. Honestly, I kind of wish that Deodato would take over art duties on New Avengers after Brubaker leaves Secret Avengers, and then have Stuart Immonen move over to The Avengers and relieve JRJR. Or, hell, just have Immonen draw both New Avengers and Avengers.

JRJR is in this for the long haul, but about Mike being this books artist and your thoughts on this issue- agreed.

193New Avengers - Page 8 Empty Re: New Avengers Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:54 am

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm not too upset about JRJR on Avengers anymore. He's not my favorite, but the last couple of issues have been better.

194New Avengers - Page 8 Empty Re: New Avengers Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:45 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:Is Stuart Immonen off this book for good? I haven't heard anything, but I don't actively look for this info.

I think he's off it while doing Fear Itself. Going by Previews it looks to me like Deodato might be switching to this book and Roberto de la Torre taking over Secret Avengers. At least for the next few months anyway.

195New Avengers - Page 8 Empty Re: New Avengers Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:44 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Cool. I'm actually really okay with that. I'll miss Immonen, but Deodato is awesome, and Roberto de la Torre's style will really work for a book like Secret Avengers.

196New Avengers - Page 8 Empty Re: New Avengers Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:22 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

So I guess Danny liked the way the white costume looked? Laughing

197New Avengers - Page 8 Empty Re: New Avengers Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:38 am

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:So I guess Danny liked the way the white costume looked? Laughing

I like the white and gold costume a lot (and I like the green and yellow one too), but it seriously bugs the HELL out of me that he just showed up with that costume after having been wearing his old one, no one questioned where or how he got it, and it still hasn't been addressed.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum