Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Avengers

+15
jaydee74
DickGrayson007
comicgeekelly
Mnemosis
Debaser77
Metal Misfit
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Bigtymin504
hrdwrkngXsoldier
shiky800
Fresh03
Batman25JM
Aussiemandias
prescribeddrone
LOOSECANNON
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 8]

76New Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: New Avengers Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:43 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Does anybody else think that it was weird for this book to have a Siege banner on it? This issue was pretty much business as usual.

77New Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: New Avengers Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:16 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

comicgeekelly wrote:Does anybody else think that it was weird for this book to have a Siege banner on it? This issue was pretty much business as usual.

yeah, I think that little bit prevented me from giving it a 4...the business as usual needs to progress...otherwise nice ish..

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

78New Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: New Avengers Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:29 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:
comicgeekelly wrote:Does anybody else think that it was weird for this book to have a Siege banner on it? This issue was pretty much business as usual.

yeah, I think that little bit prevented me from giving it a 4...the business as usual needs to progress...otherwise nice ish..
Its showing the events right before Siege from the New Avengers perspective, which we hadn't gotten yet. If you notice, the Spideys were seeing watching Avengers Tower mobilizing.

79New Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: New Avengers Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:37 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm actually glad that this title is dropping. I've felt meh! about it most of the time, but I continue to get it because of the big picture (SIEGE). I think that it has run its course and will probably end with a team member dying. (okay maybe not, but you can hope.) I still don't like spidey on the team, just as much as I wish wolvie would stay X-men centric.

80New Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: New Avengers Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:44 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

New Avengers #62

A decent issue but not as good as usual. Spidey's fight with mind-controlled Spider-Woman just seemed unnecessary. And I generally like Daniel Acuña's art but it wasn't great here. I wish Immonen could have done the whole book. But the end showing Steve reuniting with the New Avengers was awesome. Anytime you have Steve Rogers and Nick Fury in the same room, its a win in my book.

81New Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: New Avengers Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:02 am

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

New Avengers #62

I liked this issue a lot. I thought the Spider-Man/Spider-Woman fight was fun. It might not have been necessary, but I liked it. Spidey's narration was awesome.

I am NOT a fan of Acuña's art, so that was the only real downside to the issue. I LOVE Immonen's art and I wish he would have done the whole book, especially since he won't be on the Avengers book after the relaunch.

The end with Steve and Fury was awesome. I agree, whenever they are together it's great. Also, I just love the respect and admiration everyone has for Steve.

82New Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: New Avengers Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:25 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I loved this. Steve Rogers is just awesome. And I like the love Luke showed for Steve.

83New Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: New Avengers Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:37 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

We get to see more on how Fury and Steve connected to mount the assault on HAMMER in Seige. And Spidey gets the best lines in the book yet again... when he starts in on something, then freezes at seeing Steve and Nick Fury.

Phobos was here but still doesn't know his dad is dead, this all takes place before the team rolls out and he gets left behind.

Lesson learned though, Luke Cage is agood dad. That baby needs his binky.

84New Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: New Avengers Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:16 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

New Avengers #62

Marvel has really dropped the ball in terms of continuity. I know it's never going to be perfect, but when it comes to the New Avengers titles, particularly those involving Steve Rogers, it's all strangely out of order. We even see Steve viewing the interrupted announcement of Thor's attack...again! With different clothing, around his peers. It's not a huge "retcon," but, much like the fight between Spider-Man and Spider-Woman, highly unnecessary. Maybe if the past two months worth of content was combined and released last month, I'd be more forgiving, but it's far too late in the game to care about this stuff now.

At least the art is cute.

2.5/5 Bags&Boards - Much like the "Upset Saturday" in college basketball going on today, the books you'd think would be great this week just weren't, while some "underdogs" soared to the top. Oh well.

85New Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: New Avengers Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:38 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

New Avengers #63

With the series winding down only to be renumbered again--as if the title needs any additional life--New Avengers is on pace to finish strong. Last month, the book felt at least a month, perhaps two, too late; this week we're sped right up to incidents from last week's Siege, allowing this issue to serve as the perfect companion piece. While I enjoyed Brian Michael Bendis' use of exposition in Siege #3, I complained about the obvious missing pieces. You know, like seeing more fights!

In this edition of New Avengers, action fans are rewarded with some hefty brawls. Remember that tenacious splash page in Siege #3 of The Hood and his crime syndicate that led to...nothing? The gang's all here. We're also rewarded by the humorous quips of Spider-Man and Mockingbird (especially during her fight with the copycat villain "no one's heard of," Lady Octopus); an outstanding brawl between Luke Cage, Venom, Steve Rogers, and Iron Patriot; and several remarkable reactions to Sentry's detonation of Asgard, including a nerve-wracking closer that makes the timing between now and next month’s issue appear that much longer.

Fair not, New Avengers #63 does more than play gap-filler to Siege’s main attraction. The most intriguing section of the story focuses on the dichotomy between relationships of the Avengers' most infamous couples. During Luke's aforementioned smashing and sprawling, his memory juices flow of the better times with wife Jessica Jones, formerly and soon to be known again as Jewel, as the couple reflects upon the decision of Jones’ recent superheroinism, the baby's ongoing Skrull paranoia, and the contemplation for Miss Jones' cape-n-tights future. It’s no secret that Luke and Jessica’s relationship, predominantly during the events of Civil War and Secret Invasion, has often played the centerpiece during Bendis' admirable run. I’m pleased to see their issues get one more nudge of focus before the Heroic Age. Much of the same can be said about Clint Barton and Bobbi Morse's stroppy exchange that prepares their effectual strive for fantasy-chasing to something more stable, something more along the lines of that of Luke and Jessica.

With Stuart Immonen unexpectedly absent from art duties, the pencils thankfully don’t suffer. In fact, there could be some debate as to whether Mike McKone’s more a fit for this type of book. No, I’m not insane (well, that hasn’t been proven…yet), as Stuart Immonen is indeed one of Marvel’s most improved and now lauded artists. But here McKone and Dave McCaig’s colors fit the glove of Bendis’ iron fist. The art isn’t as detailed or as brightly colored as Immonen’s, but pushes at a more fluidic pace panel to panel. The fight sequences don’t look forced while showcasing certain mannerisms or grimaces; rather, the photorealism is substituted for more technical angles, as thrust kicks from Ronin and Mockingbird look swifter than a Fat Cobra savate scorpion swan splash.

Now more than ever, I’m convinced that Siege will be better read in one giant omnibus that combines some of the events better tie-ins. If New Avengers continues along this upper echelon of quality, it’ll be imperative to the collection.

4/5 - Fills Siege's Void.

86New Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: New Avengers Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:16 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

New Avengers #63 was pretty good.

87New Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: New Avengers Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:21 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

New Avengers #63

Great review, LC. I really think this was the best NA tie-in to Siege thus far. Some really great action scenes mixed with even better character moments featuring the couples of the team. Bendis once again showed why he's the master of real life dialogue with the two couples' discussions. Luke and Jess talking about their baby (who btw is adorable and reminds me of my nieces and nephews Smile ) and Jessica's returning to superheroics. I like Jessica's reasoning for wanting to come back when they can actually be heroes again instead of hiding in the shadows. Mockingbird and Clint's little argument was interesting too, something seems to be bothering Bobbi and I think we'll find out in their new series. Also, Mike McKone's art was very good, which is something to look forward to in Avengers Academy.

Oh and one part that literally made me LOL was when Clint and Bobbi were talking on the roof, and Spidey randomly swings by: "Hey guys! What's going--" Clint: Not now. Spidey: Got it. And he continues on his way. Laughing

88New Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: New Avengers Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:37 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

New Avengers #63

I liked this issue. I didn't LOVE it, but it was still really good.

I agree with everything that was said about Luke and Jessica stuff, as well as Clint and Bobbi's.

I really missed Immonen on this issue. Don't get me wrong, I loved McKone's art (I absolutely loved his Ronin), but I still missed Immonen.

Spidey was freakin' hilarious in this issue. I love the quote Bigtymin mentioned, as well as Spidey's stuff with Bullseye/Hawkeye:
(might not be exact)
Spidey: You know, I was just saying the other day that the only thing that could make you fake Avengers crazier would be if you all had goblin gliders.
Bullseye/Hawkeye: #$@$ you.
Spidey: AAAWWW that's so sweet.

There was another thing that Spidey said that cracked me up, but I can't remember right now what it was.

Spoiler:

89New Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: New Avengers Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:47 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Bats, I agree with your sentiments (in your SPOILER) 100%.

Regardless, I'm still concerned.

90New Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: New Avengers Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:16 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:New Avengers #63

Spidey was freakin' hilarious in this issue. I love the quote Bigtymin mentioned, as well as Spidey's stuff with Bullseye/Hawkeye:
(might not be exact)
Spidey: You know, I was just saying the other day that the only thing that could make you fake Avengers crazier would be if you all had goblin gliders.
Bullseye/Hawkeye: #$@$ you.
Spidey: AAAWWW that's so sweet.

There was another thing that Spidey said that cracked me up, but I can't remember right now what it was.

I thought that was particularly funny too because I recall someone here commenting about the Dark Avengers riding on the Goblin Gliders. The other funny bit you were thinking of may have been his "thanks for the dramatic "incoming", Ronin". There's no doubt about it, Bendis has got Spidey's sense of humour perfectly.

I think Bobbi's just fine, guys. Nothing to worry about. Anyway, that could be a whole bunch of different people's hands.

I'm still struggling to see how Luke Cage is going to work with Moonstone on the Thunderbolts. She's got a lot to answer for. In fact the more I think of it, it's going to be a bit of a bummer not seeing Moonstone, Bullseye and Venom working together anymore (and Norman of course). But I guess it couldn't last forever considering who they are.

91New Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: New Avengers Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:05 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:I'm still struggling to see how Luke Cage is going to work with Moonstone on the Thunderbolts. She's got a lot to answer for. In fact the more I think of it, it's going to be a bit of a bummer not seeing Moonstone, Bullseye and Venom working together anymore (and Norman of course). But I guess it couldn't last forever considering who they are.
Yeah I've loved their dynamic all the way from Ellis's Thunderbolts run, kind of a bummer that it's ending. It should be interesting to see how Dr. Sofen ends up on Luke's T-bolts squad. She's a damn good manipulator so I could see her convincing them that she wants to change and all that. But the fates of Bullseye and Venom are question marks in all this, something tells me at least Venom will not be making it out alive...

92New Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: New Avengers Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:53 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

New Avengers #63

This was probably the most pointless Siege book of the month right next to Siege Embedded #3. The issue was used as recycled character development for Luke and his misses, as well as for Hawkeye (Ronin) and Mockingbird. Nothing of any real substance happened in this issue, and I’m sure people have said something about Marvel spoiling the plot line they started in this issue. Seriously they did, there is a preview for the Hawkeye and Mockingbird book in the same issue that has the cliff hanger that she may have gotten crushed.

I’m not a big fan of the art in this issue, but it gets the job done as well as you can expect for the superhero equivalent of a Dawson’s Creek episode.

1.5 out of 5 Heartstrings attempted to be pulled on.

93New Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: New Avengers Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:34 pm

Jango Fett

Jango Fett
Cadet
Cadet

Quick question, did Steve McNiven or Frank Cho do the cover art for New Avengers #17?

(Here's a link to the cover: http://marvel.wikia.com/New_Avengers_17)

That site says that it's Cho, but it looks a lot like McNiven's art, and I thought the site might be wrong. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks!

94New Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: New Avengers Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:38 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Jango Fett wrote:Quick question, did Steve McNiven or Frank Cho do the cover art for New Avengers #17?

(Here's a link to the cover: http://marvel.wikia.com/New_Avengers_17)

That site says that it's Cho, but it looks a lot like McNiven's art, and I thought the site might be wrong. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks!

Looks like McNiven to me. Those sites tend to get stuff wrong sometimes.

95New Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: New Avengers Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

New Avengers #64

I like that this issue gave us the Hood's perspective in all this. He put a lot of faith in Norman, not to mention Loki, and it ended up biting him in the ass. And it was a nice touch to see the opposite reactions Hood and Madame Masque had to Asgard collapsing compared to Clint and Bobbi. The former "getting the hell out of there" and the latter stopping to help people. That pretty much sums it up right there.

It seems like Hood's criminal empire is gonna go down with Norman, but not without a fight. New Avengers (vol. 1): Finale with Hitch on art should be a wild ride.

96New Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: New Avengers Sat May 01, 2010 6:40 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

N.A. #63

As the last Siege tie-in before the "Finale" this was quite the let down, especially since I gave last month's issue (scroll above) such high marks.

Basically, the issue serves as usual this time from Parker Robbins' perspective. By now, that aspect of the tie-ins is tiring and perhaps a month too late. I have to admit, as silly as it was, I did enjoy the hilarity of "Bobbi!" "Whitney?".."Bobbi!" "Whitney?" Yes, oftentimes, I truly have a sick, twisted sense of humor.

Really, there isn't a whole lot to say. I liked McKone's art. How's that.

2/5 Lame Siege Tie-In's - Actually, they've all been pretty good...this is one of the few that did nothing more than emphasize the "Norn" stones and set-up the Finale. Blah.

97New Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: New Avengers Sat May 01, 2010 6:46 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

New Avengers #64

Meh. It just feels like with all that's going on that Bendis isn't putting as much effort or focus into this book. It's like it's limping along waiting for the Heroic Age to begin. The issue wasn't horrible, but it wasn't that great either. I just can't wait for the Finale to be over so we can get to the Heroic Age.

Last edited by Batman25JM on Sat May 01, 2010 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

98New Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: New Avengers Sat May 01, 2010 6:54 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

^^^^what he said!

99New Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: New Avengers Sun May 02, 2010 8:29 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:N.A. #63

As the last Siege tie-in before the "Finale" this was quite the let down,

Batman25JM wrote:New Avengers #64

Meh. It just feels like with all that's going on that Bendis isn't putting as much effort or focus into this book. It's like it's limping along waiting for the Heroic Age to begin. The issue wasn't horrible, but it wasn't that great either. I just can't wait for the Finale to be over so we can get to the Heroic Age.

Agree with both you guys. This train is well and truly limping into the station.

100New Avengers - Page 4 Empty Re: New Avengers Sun May 02, 2010 11:23 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

And ANOTHER spoilerific book!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum