Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dark Reign

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Dark Reign Empty Dark Reign Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:32 pm

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Can someone tell me what this story's about? Has it started yet? Any good?

http://blog.myspace.com/alucardbarnivous

2Dark Reign Empty Re: Dark Reign Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:03 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Only read several issues (mostly the first issues under this *ahem* reign I follow regularly). It lives to the hype so far.

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

3Dark Reign Empty Re: Dark Reign Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:24 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

Not much discussion in the Dark Reign thread as of yet, guess that's about to change.

Dark Avengers: Ares came out this week and was an absolute must read for anyone who's a fan of the God of War.

The book is pretty unique as you see Ares through the eyes of one of the HAMMER troops that has been put under Ares command and the running commentary on the God of War as he lobs gernades and fires chain guns as some of his training techniques is priceless.

So many great moments, Ares making his troops wear sun glasses, the actual training scenes (Ares: "Some times you have to blow up your commanding officer..."), his diatribes about War and the failings of mortals, so much win in one book.

Kieren Gillen really has a grasp on the Ares character and how his mind works and how he views his place in the MU, actually can't wait to see his take on Thor now after reading this, and Manuel Garcia put together some fantastic art that made the book flow incredibly well from start to finish.

Incredibly strong start to this mini.

With the last couple of pages I can't wait for the next issue as it looks like we're going to get a show down that has been in the works for several months now.

4Dark Reign Empty Re: Dark Reign Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:21 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

I thought I posted a bunch of Dark Reign reviews in here but I guess I'm wrong.

Dark Reign: The List - Amazing Spider-Man #1

"Look! Naked Belgians!" What a line. Dan Slott hasn't done too much Spider-Man as of late, but this has to go down as one of his best. It transitions well into this week's edition of Spidey, and also follows up American Son just as profoundly. What we get here is a solid Iron Patriot vs. Spider-Man match-up that probably messes with your brain more than the all-out brawl we recieved during American Son. That one was pretty messy. Here, wits are matched; mental problems anguished; and even Norman might get a taste of his own..you know. Adam Kubert is a beast on the pencils. There's probably a reason he does so little work: cause he's so damn good. This is a gorgeous book with panels that could tell the story with no script. Thankfully, Slott pulls out one of his better ones to end what was known as The List.

4.5/5 Patriot Missiles - Marvel Book of the Week

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

5Dark Reign Empty Re: Dark Reign Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:43 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Dark Reign: Hawkeye #5

I'll be honest, I didn't even knew there was an issue #5 in this Hawkeye mini until I saw it thrown in with my books today. How did my LCS vendor even remember? I think it was pure luck.

What we get in this finale is a dichotomy of results. There's some pretty excitable action, as Hawk(Bulls)eye spars wildy throughout medical facilities with Solo, and even partakes in a lengthy airstrike with The Kingmaker, his own dear father (whom he thought he killed in a housefire years ago). The Kingmaker was revealed last issue to be behind the murder of a US Senator with Bullseye's signature carving, thus setting up Hawkeye with the crime. Of course, reporter Ben Urich's on the case. Things are moving, but I can't say they all end in spectacular fashion.

Current Daredevil scribe Andy Diggle was more than likely replaced by fill-in writer Anthony Johnston, who admittingly does an admirable job keeping the action-loaded script as snarky and as snappy as possible. Maybe the fact I had to wait nearly a decade to finish this mini has me flustered. The art also contains a substitute, this time by Andres Guinaldo for Tom Raney, and while plausible, doesn't carry the Steve Dillon-inspired spreads from before. It's simply not remarkable, although I'm sure it didn't need be.

While I'm glad the story got finished (and of course this'll read better in trade), it's hard not to feel like the fate of this book is in the dollar bin. No Bullseye there.

3/5 - Good, unsurprising finish to an overall solid mini. The Dark Reign mini's were done fairly well for the most part.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

6Dark Reign Empty Re: Dark Reign Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:52 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:Dark Reign: Hawkeye #5

I'll be honest, I didn't even knew there was an issue #5 in this Hawkeye mini until I saw it thrown in with my books today. How did my LCS vendor even remember? I think it was pure luck.

What we get in this finale is a dichotomy of results. There's some pretty excitable action, as Hawk(Bulls)eye spars wildy throughout medical facilities with Solo, and even partakes in a lengthy airstrike with The Kingmaker, his own dear father (whom he thought he killed in a housefire years ago). The Kingmaker was revealed last issue to be behind the murder of a US Senator with Bullseye's signature carving, thus setting up Hawkeye with the crime. Of course, reporter Ben Urich's on the case. Things are moving, but I can't say they all end in spectacular fashion.

Current Daredevil scribe Andy Diggle was more than likely replaced by fill-in writer Anthony Johnston, who admittingly does an admirable job keeping the action-loaded script as snarky and as snappy as possible. Maybe the fact I had to wait nearly a decade to finish this mini has me flustered. The art also contains a substitute, this time by Andres Guinaldo for Tom Raney, and while plausible, doesn't carry the Steve Dillon-inspired spreads from before. It's simply not remarkable, although I'm sure it didn't need be.

While I'm glad the story got finished (and of course this'll read better in trade), it's hard not to feel like the fate of this book is in the dollar bin. No Bullseye there.

3/5 - Good, unsurprising finish to an overall solid mini. The Dark Reign mini's were done fairly well for the most part.
Yeah I think this was a damn good mini, the ridiculous gap between #4 and #5 almost made me forget it. All I know is, Bullseye is one sick puppy to watch his dad burn to death like that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum