Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Robinson: Character Killer

+5
Matt
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Aussiemandias
Jherek
BlueMaxx
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Robinson: Character Killer Empty Robinson: Character Killer Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:54 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Is it me, or is Robinson, specifically with both his Justice League titles killing more characters than, I think, the latest crises?

Starting from JL: Cry from Justice, mixing with JLA, and up to current.
- Freedom Beast
- Tasmanian Devil
- Sandstorm
- Gloss
- Blue Jay
- Clayface (Preston Payne)
- Tony (Mikaal's lover.)
- Mike Dante (Ray Palmer's buddy.)
- Arak
- Penny Dreadful

Anybody I'm missing? Feels like I am.

2Robinson: Character Killer Empty Re: Robinson: Character Killer Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:15 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

BlueMaxx wrote:Is it me, or is Robinson, specifically with both his Justice League titles killing more characters than, I think, the latest crises?

- Freedom Beast
- Tasmanian Devil
- Sandstorm
- Gloss
- Blue Jay
- Tony (Mikaal's lover.)
- Arak
- Penny Dreadful

More to the point I think is - will anybody miss them?

3Robinson: Character Killer Empty Re: Robinson: Character Killer Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:24 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

BlueMaxx wrote:
- Tasmanian Devil
Crying or Very sad

4Robinson: Character Killer Empty Re: Robinson: Character Killer Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:49 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Jherek wrote:
BlueMaxx wrote:Is it me, or is Robinson, specifically with both his Justice League titles killing more characters than, I think, the latest crises?

- Freedom Beast
- Tasmanian Devil
- Sandstorm
- Gloss
- Blue Jay
- Tony (Mikaal's lover.)
- Arak
- Penny Dreadful

This more than anything else. Many of these characters were so underused they won't be missed. Freedom Beast is saddening but then again he won't be missed. The only thing that bothers me is how he was killed as opposed to him dying.

5Robinson: Character Killer Empty Re: Robinson: Character Killer Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:22 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ I think they should've killed B'wana Beast before Freedom Beast since they are both pretty much the same, except that Freedom Beast had a connection with Africa, to me, than B.B. Ah well.

Jherek wrote:
More to the point I think is - will anybody miss them?[/quote]
Good point. Maybe he has plans, or a friend of his does, for Global Guardians, and wanted to clean the slate? 'Cause they are pretty much gone.

Aussiemandias wrote:
BlueMaxx wrote:
- Tasmanian Devil
Crying or Very sad
I know. Australia's one hero, dead. Heck, Cap. Boomerang, Digger, is dead, and, I believe, your guys' only villain from DC. A sad day for Aussies. Wink

6Robinson: Character Killer Empty Re: Robinson: Character Killer Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:48 am

Matt

Matt
Pirate
Pirate

- Freedom Beast
- Tasmanian Devil
- Sandstorm
- Gloss
- Blue Jay
- Tony (Mikaal's lover.)
- Arak
- Penny Dreadful

If you want to count other books he has a lot
spoilers ahead

from Starman
Mist1 and 2, and Ted Knight to name a few
From Batman One year later
KGBeast, Magpie, Orca, and the Ventriloquist

7Robinson: Character Killer Empty Re: Robinson: Character Killer Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:29 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ya. I've noticed that he likes killing. He also "killed" Harvey Dent again with Face the Face. Wink

Kyle Nimbus II.
Solomon Grundy. Wink
And most of the JLE with Blue Devil (sorta), Crimson Fox (II), and Amazing Man (II).
Culp.
Stuff, the Chinatown Kid. (Original)
Starman (David Knight)
Starman (Will Payton) Although, he killed him in retcon with the fact that he wasn't him, but Gavyn the whole time.
Dr. Phospherus (Sort of. Before someone brought him back.)
Killed a few in New Krypton.

Also, and although an Elseworlds, The Golden Age mini was filled with death.

8Robinson: Character Killer Empty Re: Robinson: Character Killer Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:57 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

BlueMaxx wrote:
I know. Australia's one hero, dead. Heck, Cap. Boomerang, Digger, is dead, and, I believe, your guys' only villain from DC. A sad day for Aussies. Wink
Actually, in all seriousness, I kind of don't mind. If the best creators can come up with is gimmick characters (Boomerang, Tasmanian Devil) then I'm not unhappy that there aren't any. I'd prefer a good character who just happened to be Australian than a character where being Australian is basically all they are (that being said, John Ostrander actually made Captain Boomerang more than just a gimmick). I think the same goes for a lot of international characters - a lot of them are nothing more than a character that represents their country which, to me, can be boring (there are exceptions of course).

9Robinson: Character Killer Empty Re: Robinson: Character Killer Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:08 am

rwe1138

rwe1138

He's apparently said that Blue Jay is only mostly dead. Not all dead.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

10Robinson: Character Killer Empty Re: Robinson: Character Killer Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:19 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:
Actually, in all seriousness, I kind of don't mind. If the best creators can come up with is gimmick characters (Boomerang, Tasmanian Devil) then I'm not unhappy that there aren't any. I'd prefer a good character who just happened to be Australian than a character where being Australian is basically all they are (that being said, John Ostrander actually made Captain Boomerang more than just a gimmick). I think the same goes for a lot of international characters - a lot of them are nothing more than a character that represents their country which, to me, can be boring (there are exceptions of course).
Completely understand that. I pretty much feel the same. I dislike characters who use the Patriotism gimmick. But ya, the country or a character representing a region can get boring too.

11Robinson: Character Killer Empty Re: Robinson: Character Killer Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:09 pm

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

just to add to the deathlist....

while not mentioned by name the three security guards whose death pulled Jay into cry for justice is actually his golden age comic relief characters Winky, Blinky, and Noddy

12Robinson: Character Killer Empty Re: Robinson: Character Killer Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:47 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Very cool. Didn't know that. I thought Jay just really didn't like murder. I did kind of figure he knew them because he referred to them, if I remember correctly. Winky Moylan, Blinky Boylan, and Noddy Toylan, if you want more of a laugh with their names. It seems that they were taken from a Dutch poem: "Wynken, Blynken, and Nod".

"Wynken, Blynken, and Nod one night
Sailed off in a wooden shoe---
Sailed on a river of crystal light,
Into a sea of dew.
"Where are you going, and what do you wish?"
The old moon asked the three.
"We have come to fish for the herring fish
That live in this beautiful sea;
Nets of silver and gold have we!"
Said Wynken,
Blynken,
And Nod.

The old moon laughed and sang a song,
As they rocked in the wooden shoe,
And the wind that sped them all night long
Ruffled the waves of dew.
The little stars were the herring fish
That lived in that beautiful sea---
"Now cast your nets wherever you wish---
Never afeard are we";
So cried the stars to the fishermen three:
Wynken,
Blynken,
And Nod.

All night long their nets they threw
To the stars in the twinkling foam---
Then down from the skies came the wooden shoe,
Bringing the fishermen home;
'T was all so pretty a sail it seemed
As if it could not be,
And some folks thought 't was a dream they 'd dreamed
Of sailing that beautiful sea---
But I shall name you the fishermen three:
Wynken,
Blynken,
And Nod.

Wynken and Blynken are two little eyes,
And Nod is a little head,
And the wooden shoe that sailed the skies
Is a wee one's trundle-bed.
So shut your eyes while mother sings
Of wonderful sights that be,
And you shall see the beautiful things
As you rock in the misty sea,
Where the old shoe rocked the fishermen three:
Wynken,
Blynken,
And Nod."

- Eugene Field

Kind of fitting that the poem is about going to sleep and that they are dead.

DC is really digging into their past it seems. Or maybe, other than Johns and Morrison, that Robinson and Dini are making it seem like this big influx of characters.

13Robinson: Character Killer Empty Re: Robinson: Character Killer Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:35 pm

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

man didn't realise they were named as such in the book must have glanced over it I just recognised their faces in a panel

14Robinson: Character Killer Empty Re: Robinson: Character Killer Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:04 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

- Freedom Beast
- Tasmanian Devil
- Sandstorm
- Gloss
- Blue Jay
- Tony (Mikaal's lover.)
- Arak
- Penny Dreadful
- The Mist
- Kyle Nimbus
- The Mist (II/Nash)
- Starman (Ted Knight)
- Starman (David Knight)
- KGBeast
- Magpie
- Orca
- The Ventriloquist (Albert Wesker)
- Crimson Fox (II)
- Amazing Man (II)
- Stuff, the Chinatown Kid (I)
- Culp
- Dr. Phospherus (Despite his resurrection.)
- Winky, Blinky, and Noddy
- Endless Winter

Loosely "killed":
- "Harvey Dent"
- Solomon Grundy. Wink
- Starman ("Will Payton")

15Robinson: Character Killer Empty Re: Robinson: Character Killer Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:46 pm

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

James robinson didn't kill stuff he died back in 1977

and culp doesn't really count as robinson created him

16Robinson: Character Killer Empty Re: Robinson: Character Killer Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:22 pm

Metal Misfit

Metal Misfit
Zombie
Zombie

Jherek wrote:

Exactly. Most of these characters I've never heard of and the only one I have a soft spot for is Blue Jay and that's only because he was a part of the JLI years. Killing off D-list characters is nothing.

http://metalmisfit.wordpress.com

17Robinson: Character Killer Empty Re: Robinson: Character Killer Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:27 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Not complaining, but characters don't suck, they just need a good story.

shining knight wrote:James robinson didn't kill stuff he died back in 1977

and culp doesn't really count as robinson created him
Culp counts. He was created for the DCU.

Stuff died in a retconning in Robinson's Vigilante mini. (Forget the subtitle, but it is the only titled series for Greg Saunders' character.)

18Robinson: Character Killer Empty Re: Robinson: Character Killer Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:06 pm

Winter Decay

Winter Decay
Cadet
Cadet

Metal Misfit wrote:
Jherek wrote:

Exactly. Most of these characters I've never heard of and the only one I have a soft spot for is Blue Jay and that's only because he was a part of the JLI years. Killing off D-list characters is nothing.

I think that the Ventriloquist killing was a mistake. I always found his stories fascinating.

Also, it seemed a tremendous waste to have Harvey be repaired only to be lost again in the very next major storyline. Perhaps if they had waited a little while and have him slowly turn back into Two Face. But there was no build up for the audience.

19Robinson: Character Killer Empty Re: Robinson: Character Killer Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:08 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ I think that would've dragged it out, with Dent's duality rising back up. Plus, he was technically Dent for a whole year, yeah?

(I agree with Ventriloquist, although I'm loving Peyton. So, what's done is done.)

20Robinson: Character Killer Empty Re: Robinson: Character Killer Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:17 pm

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

So stuff died twice?

man that character has no luck at all

21Robinson: Character Killer Empty Re: Robinson: Character Killer Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:04 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ I know, that poor little guy.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum