The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Captain America

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 8]

26 Re: Captain America on Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:04 pm

LOOSECANNON

Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Captain America: Who Will Wield the Shield? #1

How to make us forget (at least temporarily) the terrible editorial mishaps of the Reborn series and the release of books spoiling Steve Rogers appearance?

By making a classic issue.

And that's what this one is.

Ed Brubaker ties up his spectacular 50+ issue run of Captain America with it's biggest mystery. It wasn't "is Steve Rogers coming back?" It was "is Steve Rogers going to rock the Sheild?" And there's plenty of reasons why he would again, and vice versa. I'm sure an espionage-laden Winter Solder-starred book would sell well based off Bucky's surprisingly great run as Cap. Much like people don't want to see Dick Grayson return to Nightwing, there's been a loud voice in preventing James Barners returng to Bucky. But we'd still accept it.

Despite how this concludes, the writing stays away from the sci-fi of Reborn, and gets back to the basics of Brubaker's initial run, featuring plenty of action, humor, drama, guest features and an ending that'll rock the nation. Again.

Seige is here, and there's no cheesy exit wounds heading into that event. Brubaker and the outstanding art team of Guice and Ross exit stage left with much reason to hold their heads up high. In a month we'll find out how we got to this point and in a month we'll find out what's the next move for Captain America.

5/5 Sheilds - Possibly the best Marvel comic book of the year.

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

27 Re: Captain America on Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:43 pm

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
^Wait, is Brubaker leaving Cap after Reborn? God I hope not.

View user profile

28 Re: Captain America on Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:49 pm

shiky800

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
i am not reading the who will carry the shield until issue #6 comes out

View user profile

29 Re: Captain America on Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:54 pm

prescribeddrone

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
This book better be in the Reborn trade, I dunno if I'll get it but 'Reborn' has been my favorite event from Marvel this year.

View user profile

30 Re: Captain America on Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:55 pm

shiky800

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
prescribeddrone wrote:This book better be in the Reborn trade, I dunno if I'll get it but 'Reborn' has been my favorite event from Marvel this year.
it is a great story but i wouldn't call it an event. it is just a single mini series

View user profile

31 Re: Captain America on Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:50 am

Bigtymin504

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Batman25JM wrote:^Wait, is Brubaker leaving Cap after Reborn? God I hope not.
I'm pretty sure he's sticking around, haven't heard anything to suggest otherwise.

View user profile

32 Re: Captain America on Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:02 pm

LOOSECANNON

Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
I'm sorry "exit stage left" was written unappropriately...I guess I meant they finished their great run 'til otherwise noted...

33 Re: Captain America on Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:10 pm

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Okay, I was worried there for a minute.

View user profile

34 Re: Captain America on Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Aussiemandias

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I am so pleased Bucky is staying on as Cap and I thought that might be what Steve did.

There were a number of things I loved about WWWS:

- Sharon and Steve getting backed together. That woman deserves it. I realise Steve's been through a lot but she's been through her own nightmare.

- Bucky's reverance for Steve. I just love how it comes across and it's the reason why all the time Steve wasn't in the Captain America comic he always actually felt like he was there. Because he is such an influence on Bucky and so many others - his presence is always felt whether he's there or not.

- Bucky and Natasha - I think they're actually becoming one of the really good couples and duos in comics. Their relationship doesn't feel forced like these things do in a lot of comics. It just feels natural and right that they're together and even Steve could see that.

- The cover was great and I liked the Guice art in the first half but not so much the Ross art in what looked like the second half.

Bigtymin504 wrote:Captain America: Who Will Wield The Shield?

I also really loved the end with Cap and the President. It's cool to see Cap get a full Presidential pardon for his role in Civil War. Just shows the amount of respect he has for Cap. It looks like the only way Steve will become Captain America again is if the Prez asks him to serve, but beyond that he might just decide to take some time off later on...
Actually I think it's now starting to look like, just like I've seen quite a few people suggest, that Cap might just head up whatever replaces HAMMER after Siege is over (expecting the good guys to win of course). I think this is a great role for him but also may be a bit of a challenge if that's how it turns out. Steve Rogers may not be able to do some of the things that need to be done to run that kind of organisation. Or perhaps he can show that you don't need to do the things that Nick Fury did to run it successfully because he certainly didn't agree with Fury's methods.

View user profile

35 Re: Captain America on Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:21 pm

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Captain America: Who Will Wield the Shield? #1

I thought this was great. It sucks it came out before the last issue of Reborn, but whatever.

I'm thrilled that Bucky is staying Cap. I love him in the role. I really think all the people who suggested that Steve would become the head of the new SHIELD or whatever it's called are correct. It seems to be the route they are taking and I like that idea.

I am a little confused by some things. When Steve showed up in the NA annual didn't Bucky look surprised? I might be remembering wrongly, but I thought he did. If he did he shouldn't have because he knew he was back. Also, I thought Bucky's place was compromised prior to Steve coming back, but here it hasn't been yet. Small things, but I was wondering.

I'm also really curious as to what is going to happen to the New Avengers team post Siege. For so long they've been the rebel/outlaw team. I don't think that'll be the case if Steve becomes the new top cop. I also highly doubt they'll merge the team with the Mighty team. I'm starting to think the NA team will become the official government team after Siege if Steve does indeed head the new SHIELD.

View user profile

36 Re: Captain America on Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:40 pm

Aussiemandias

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Batman25JM wrote:Captain America: Who Will Wield the Shield? #1

I am a little confused by some things. When Steve showed up in the NA annual didn't Bucky look surprised? I might be remembering wrongly, but I thought he did. If he did he shouldn't have because he knew he was back. Also, I thought Bucky's place was compromised prior to Steve coming back, but here it hasn't been yet. Small things, but I was wondering.
You're right about Bucky looking surprised in the NA annual but it's only in one panel so maybe you could put it down to Bucky being surprised by Steve walking in and interrupting their conversation right at that moment. As in, he just didn't expect him to be there right at the moment where he was talking about Steve.

Was Bucky's place compromised or did they actually throw the Dark Avengers off the trail by sending them to Norman's house?

View user profile

37 Re: Captain America on Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:44 pm

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Aussiemandias wrote:

You're right about Bucky looking surprised in the NA annual but it's only in one panel so maybe you could put it down to Bucky being surprised by Steve walking in and interrupting their conversation right at that moment. As in, he just didn't expect him to be there right at the moment where he was talking about Steve.

Was Bucky's place compromised or did they actually throw the Dark Avengers off the trail by sending them to Norman's house?

Bucky being surprised that Steve walked could explain that.

IIRC, Bucky's place was compromised in the NA Annual and that's why they went to the back up hideout.

Last edited by Batman25JM on Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

38 Re: Captain America on Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:53 pm

Aussiemandias

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
[quote="Batman25JM"]
Aussiemandias wrote:

Was Bucky's place compromised or did they actually throw the Dark Avengers off the trail by sending them to Norman's house?[/quote

IIRC, Bucky's place was compromised in the NA Annual and that's why they went to the back up hideout.
Oh yeah you're right. So that means the annual must happen after this story. It is starting to get a little messy I guess.

View user profile

39 Re: Captain America on Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:07 pm

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Aussiemandias wrote:
Batman25JM wrote:
Aussiemandias wrote:

Oh yeah you're right. So that means the annual must happen after this story. It is starting to get a little messy I guess.

Yeah.It goes to show how when one book is behind schedule how it can really impact other books.

View user profile

40 Re: Captain America on Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:00 pm

I agree this is one of the best issues of the year. Cap is my favorite character (whether it is Steve or Bucky). Bucky Cap seems more realistic in today's world ,but Steve is the icon everyone aspires to be. I hope the creative teams find a way to keep them both relevant.

View user profile

41 Re: Captain America on Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:25 pm

comicgeekelly

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Is anybody else as pissed as I am about Cap going to $3.99 from now on?

View user profile

42 Re: Captain America on Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:48 pm

shiky800

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
we all knew it was going to happen. and yes i am not happy about it.

View user profile

43 Re: Captain America on Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:40 pm

prescribeddrone

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
comicgeekelly wrote:Is anybody else as pissed as I am about Cap going to $3.99 from now on?

I'm not happy about it one bit and as for the backup, I won't even read it so there's no redemption to it. I don't care about Nomad.

View user profile

44 Re: Captain America on Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:26 pm

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
comicgeekelly wrote:Is anybody else as pissed as I am about Cap going to $3.99 from now on?

I didn't even know that the price was increasing. This SUCKS. I'm super pissed. I'm going to have no choice but to start dropping other books. I can't keep buying so many books, especially when so many of them are increasing in price.

View user profile

45 Re: Captain America on Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:42 am

Aussiemandias

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Issue #602

Not surprising to have a bit of a quieter issue after everything that's happened in the world of Cap lately plus this was a plot line that needed catching up with. After these 2 issues it will be very interesting to see where Brubaker takes the whole Captain America saga next.

I actually didn't mind the recent Nomad mini as I think she's a kind of interesting character but really I'm not sure she warrants this regular back up and her story really doesn't come close to fitting the tone of this book.

View user profile

46 Re: Captain America on Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:08 am

LOOSECANNON

Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Aussie, even though you constantly give me shit (hah!), well put.

CA #602

Could Falcon get punched out by a "trucker" that easily? I guess the point is the 50's Cap and his crew are nothing to take lightly. While Steve is basically missing, the highlights of the book include conversations between Bucky and Falcon or Bucky and Nick Fury. Here's to hoping Fury takes a more prominent role in books like he did pre-Secret War. I'll admit, the premise is a little cheesy, especially since we just went through five whole issues of Steve "stuck" in time; hopefully Steve has a matter with the issue that connects all the dots, otherwise the arc'll come off like the filler it's heading to be.

On the art tip, Luke Ross does a good job at emulating Steve Epting's style, which is very loosely penciled, giving the book the same espionage-feel it had going for it. I hate the backup, and I'll just leave it at that.

2.5/5 - Worst issue of Captain America in a long time. Did I still enjoy Ed Brubaker's dialogue? Did I still enjoy the artwork? Of course! Is this filler? Looks it. And the back-up, ouch. Marvel, if you need my $ that bad, I'll send you a friggin' dollar.

47 Re: Captain America on Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:35 am

jaydee74

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm very pissed. It's annoying not only that Captain America is $3.99 but the backup is Nomad? Really? Well, let me start with the story. I feel this kind of story has been reused and recycled so many times it's just not as compelling anymore. I am going to stick with this one story and see what happens but for the first time in a very very very long time, I am on the verge of dropping Captain America. The backup story? I read it and I can honestly say I'm not interested in it.

View user profile

48 Re: Captain America on Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:43 pm

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Issue #602 was okay. I know we needed to know what was going on with the 50s Cap, but I'm more interested in what is going on with Steve and the new dynamic between him and Bucky now that he's back. I still enjoyed the book though.

I'm not too thrilled with Bucky's new arm. I know it's better and will allow him to fit in better, but I liked the robotic arm look.

Not happy about the backup. I own the whole Nomad mini, but I've only read the first issue. I didn't care for it at all, and haven't gotten around to reading the rest. I read about a panel of the backup this issue and didn't like it so I decided to wait to read the rest. I'll get around to it eventually.

View user profile

49 Re: Captain America on Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:49 pm

comicgeekelly

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
The backup isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Absolutly awful. The main part of the book wasn't bad. It was a bit disapointing, but not bad.

View user profile

50 Re: Captain America on Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:55 pm

jaydee74

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I just don't get why of all characters we need to get a backup story with, it had to be Nomad. I would love to have the backup be of Steve Rogers. Maybe they could show us how he's fitting back into the world after the events of Reborn. That would have been much cooler and worth the extra dollar. I don't care about Nomad so why would I want an entire backup story devoted to her? I wouldn't mind her being a supporting character but that's about it. I am a bit curious about the 50's Captain America though and I guess that's the only reason I'm still on board with this title for now.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum