The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Captain America

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 4 of 8]

76 Re: Captain America on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:10 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
CA: Reborn #6

Okay, now that was fun. Without having to tread water in referring to spoilers/delays/editorial decisions, etc., I will merely give credit to Bryan Hitch and Bruce Guice for making this final issue of Captain America: Reborn look so beautiful, and for Ed Brubaker who goes against type in writing a frantically-paced action flick. Better known for his espionage and noir, Brubaker succeeds in showing just how Steve Rogers came back, and it's not without its jaw-clenching battle scenes either. This climatic fight between Captain America and the Red Skull lives up to the hype, all the while leaving some seedy angst for future clashes. You'll be pleased with the results, trust me.

Now, I mentioned both the illustrator and colorist before the writer because their work on this project hasn't been as lauded as usual. Perhaps all the time delays finally gave this supreme art team the time to nail and polish the book as they intended. Remember, Reborn was originally solicited as a 5-parter. So, yeah, there's no retcons of any sorts, nothing too earth-shattering to report. What we get with CA: Reborn #6 is a memorable battle with some timely supporting stars and the return of a legend. And I think at this point that's all we can ask for.

3.5/5 Red Skulls - Despite the mess this series has made time-wise, it thanfully finishes off justly so. It's too bad #602 didn't pick up where this left off. Oh, right, that's Seige.

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

77 Re: Captain America on Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:57 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Captain America: Reborn #6

Its a real shame that this series lost momentum cuz of the delays and subsequent mistiming of Cap's return, because man was this awesome. Even with all the delay problems, this issue still maintained a sense of intensity and a couple of awesome surprises too (like Red Skull going giant! lol). I feel like this is how an Avengers book written by Brubaker would feel, and it's pretty awesome. (hopefully it's a reality post-Siege) And as a huge Cap fan, the part where Steve and Bucky charge in and the single page splash with "Its him..it's Captain America" made me fanboy out a bit lol. Plus Hitch's art might have been the best of the series, some really great detailed action scenes.

And just because we already saw Cap return, doesn't mean this issue wasn't hugely significant for the future direction of Cap. Red Skull seems to be gone but you never know with him...either way, his daughter has literally become a new Red Skull. Plus the last few scenes with Steve contemplating the flashes of the future he saw were insane. Were those "War of the Worlds" tripods?? Laughing

View user profile

78 Re: Captain America on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:10 pm

shiky800

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
i can't wait to read this and i haven't read the captain america stuff after it yet. i waited to read this issue

View user profile

79 Re: Captain America on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:16 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
shiky800 wrote:i can't wait to read this and i haven't read the captain america stuff after it yet. i waited to read this issue
Nice! You should be in for a treat. I didn't have the patience for it lol.

View user profile

80 Re: Captain America on Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:33 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Captain America: Reborn #6

I didn't like this issue much at all. Yes, knowing the outcome did hurt my enjoyment, but let's be honest, we pretty much knew Steve was coming back when the Reborn started (didn't Joe Q even say he was coming back?).

My main problem was the actual content of the issue. Steve kicked the Red Skull out of his body WAY to easily. All the build up and that's it? Major disappointment. Then it just turns into a standard brawl. It was boring and not what I was expecting.

The art wasn't that great either. Some of it was okay, but most of it was just so so. I love Hitch, and this isn't his best work.

Does the Wasp have holes in the back of his costume when other artist draw him? They looked ridiculous.

I did like the whole "Its him..it's Captain America" thing, and Steve learning that Norman has Avengers was nice, but those were about the only things I liked.

View user profile

81 Re: Captain America on Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:42 pm

comicgeekelly

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
This was an epic issue. Great all around. The future that Steve saw could be an interesting event to come down the road in a couple of years.

View user profile

82 Re: Captain America on Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:32 am

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
jaydee74 wrote:Well.....Damn! I thought #6 wouldn't do a thing for me since I knew what was going to happen and even read the first part of a new story with Bucky as Captain America but damn! Reborn #6 kicked so much ass! Loved it. I also loved Steve being confused that Norman Osborn had his own Avengers. Overall, this issue freaking rocked!

Bigtymin504 wrote:Captain America: Reborn #6

Its a real shame that this series lost momentum cuz of the delays and subsequent mistiming of Cap's return, because man was this awesome. Even with all the delay problems, this issue still maintained a sense of intensity and a couple of awesome surprises too (like Red Skull going giant! lol). I feel like this is how an Avengers book written by Brubaker would feel, and it's pretty awesome. (hopefully it's a reality post-Siege) And as a huge Cap fan, the part where Steve and Bucky charge in and the single page splash with "Its him..it's Captain America" made me fanboy out a bit lol. Plus Hitch's art might have been the best of the series, some really great detailed action scenes.
I don't think I was excited by the book as you guys but it certainly wasn't a bad finale and I think Hitch's work looked better than some of the previous issues.

My great disappoint though was that there wasn't an extended scene with Bucky and Cap fighting together. I thought there was a great opportunity for some nostalgia there (I'm not normally one for nostalgia but in this case I think it was warranted) but it wasn't taken up. I love the relationship between Cap and Bucky and the more we see of it the better. For me one of the great things Bru did while Cap was gone was show how much Cap was part of Bucky's life and who Bucky is. So much so that Steve's presence was always in the books even when he was gone. Now that he's back I'd really like to see those two guys together more.

Bigtymin504 wrote:
And just because we already saw Cap return, doesn't mean this issue wasn't hugely significant for the future direction of Cap. Red Skull seems to be gone but you never know with him...either way, his daughter has literally become a new Red Skull. Plus the last few scenes with Steve contemplating the flashes of the future he saw were insane. Were those "War of the Worlds" tripods?? Laughing
Totally agree there's no way Red Skull's gone for good. And those last scenes were fantastic! They certainly looked like War of the Worlds tripods to me. Isn't War of the Worlds Killraven's future in the marvel universe? I'm a bit hazy on this but that's my recollection.

View user profile

83 Re: Captain America on Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:16 am

jaydee74

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
comicgeekelly wrote:This was an epic issue. Great all around. The future that Steve saw could be an interesting event to come down the road in a couple of years.
I am very curious about the possible future Steve saw as well.

View user profile

84 Re: Captain America on Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:38 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Aussiemandias wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:And just because we already saw Cap return, doesn't mean this issue wasn't hugely significant for the future direction of Cap. Red Skull seems to be gone but you never know with him...either way, his daughter has literally become a new Red Skull. Plus the last few scenes with Steve contemplating the flashes of the future he saw were insane. Were those "War of the Worlds" tripods?? Laughing
Totally agree there's no way Red Skull's gone for good. And those last scenes were fantastic! They certainly looked like War of the Worlds tripods to me. Isn't War of the Worlds Killraven's future in the marvel universe? I'm a bit hazy on this but that's my recollection.
Oh great point! I just looked that up and you're right. I wonder if Marvel still has the rights to use it though...

View user profile

85 Re: Captain America on Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:05 pm

shiky800

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
well they are making it look like sin will be the new red skull. this was just amazing. and i finally read all the stuff that was supposed to come out after this issue

View user profile

86 Re: Captain America on Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:41 pm

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Bigtymin504 wrote:
Aussiemandias wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:And just because we already saw Cap return, doesn't mean this issue wasn't hugely significant for the future direction of Cap. Red Skull seems to be gone but you never know with him...either way, his daughter has literally become a new Red Skull. Plus the last few scenes with Steve contemplating the flashes of the future he saw were insane. Were those "War of the Worlds" tripods?? Laughing
Totally agree there's no way Red Skull's gone for good. And those last scenes were fantastic! They certainly looked like War of the Worlds tripods to me. Isn't War of the Worlds Killraven's future in the marvel universe? I'm a bit hazy on this but that's my recollection.
Oh great point! I just looked that up and you're right. I wonder if Marvel still has the rights to use it though...
Definitely - there's no problems there.

View user profile

87 Re: Captain America on Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:38 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Reborn is over. Guess I'm done reading Cap now. I think it meant more when he was dead. 1 more book dropped from my pull list.

View user profile

88 Re: Captain America on Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:44 pm

jaydee74

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Two issues into this new story and I feel like I've read this story before. It's not really grabbing me all that much and more to the point, I am not interested in the backup story whatsoever. I just don't like it. I have zero interest in reading a Nomad backup story at all. The character is sort of interesting but let her just be a supporting character in the book then or put her on a team book. Not sure I want to continue this series after two very meh issues.

View user profile

89 Re: Captain America on Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:04 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
C.A. #603

The latest issue of Captain America is cool. But, uh, wasn't Brubaker's entire run this side of maybe Reborn tremendous? The word "cool" would only be right in describing the icewater that ran in Bucky's veins in taking over the reigns for Steve Rogers. While the concept of a 50s Cap assembling his own politically-charged Watchdogs in taking matters into their own hands--especially on the night after a software engineer took his personal plane through an I.R.S. building--is fairly interesting. Also, Bucky and The Falcon's teamwork should help those reminisce of the fairly decent "Assembled/Disassembled-era" of Captain America books. Well, maybe not, but they take the fight to the 50s Cap, only to be outsmarted toward the end. I get it; they're not going to make this guy a layover.

It sounds like I'm enjoying this book a lot more than I'm giving off. Well, that's not all. The artwork of Bruce Guice and Luke Ross is improved from last time, too, as Guice's colors help mend the slovenliness of Ross's pencils. The framework in the battles, the melodic use of Falcon's vibranium-laced wings and Bucky Cap's crystalline shield, is downright sweet. It's unfortunate the positives end there, as the story once again recaps Bad Cap's reasoning for his cult status, and we're agains, slaveged with a crappy looking back-up. I just can't take the cartoonish art of the Nomad story serious enough to read it. Especially not after the painful 5-minutes it took me to jawn through the last one. Regardless, the main story itself is adequate, despite the obvious that Brubaker is milkin' this arc until Siege is concluded. Bah.

3/5 Bags&Boards - Unfortunately, the mostly set-up title's still good enough to keep buying. With 2 issues left 'til Steve's hopeful return, you mind as well.

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

90 Re: Captain America on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:23 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
The "Two Americas" arc has been good so far. I hope Bucky and Falcon take down that Bad Cap for good. Seeing them working together has been nice...Bucky is really throwing that shield like a badass! lol

View user profile

91 Re: Captain America on Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:04 pm

prescribeddrone

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I enjoyed 603 and I skipped the backup as usual.

View user profile

92 Re: Captain America on Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:08 am

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Bigtymin504 wrote:The "Two Americas" arc has been good so far. I hope Bucky and Falcon take down that Bad Cap for good. Seeing them working together has been nice...Bucky is really throwing that shield like a badass! lol
Yeah I didn't mind this issue either. I don't think it's been up there with the last 2 years of stuff but at the same time it feels like a storyline that needed telling. It feels to me like if the "bad Cap" story is finished up there's room for fresh storylines to kick off. The other thing this kind of feels like is Brubaker doing a fairly by the numbers story to take it easy after such an intense period on Captain America (not saying that's the right thing to do but that's how it feels to me). Anyway, I'm still enjoying it.

As for Nomad, I actually really like the character. I love the idea that she's completely lost here in this world. She's got no one, no money, no real life and not much of a purpose except being Nomad. If handled right this could be a really touching character. However, I don't think she's being handled very well (actually being handled in a pretty uninspired way I think) and I don't think the backup fits with the tone of Captain America in the slightest.

View user profile

93 Re: Captain America on Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:06 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Captain America #603

Meh. It wasn't horrible, but I didn't LOVE it.

This just feels like filler until Siege is over and the new status quo of the Marvel Universe is established. I know that they had to deal with "Bad Cap", but this story is just mediocre compared to Brubaker's previous Cap stories.

I'm not to big on the art either. I don't know what it is, but it just feels really dated to me.

I skipped the Nomad backup again. I don't have any hate for the character, but I do not like Sean McKeever's work (he destroyed the Teen Titans) and don't feel like wasting time on it.

View user profile

94 Re: Captain America on Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:50 pm

jaydee74

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Bigtymin504 wrote:The "Two Americas" arc has been good so far. I hope Bucky and Falcon take down that Bad Cap for good. Seeing them working together has been nice...Bucky is really throwing that shield like a badass! lol

I think the story with the second part is not that bad. I just feel like this is a story of "been there, done that" sort of thing. I am really not impressed or happy about the backup and after this story arc is done, if they continue the backup, I'm out.

View user profile

95 Re: Captain America on Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:50 am

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Aussiemandias wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:The "Two Americas" arc has been good so far. I hope Bucky and Falcon take down that Bad Cap for good. Seeing them working together has been nice...Bucky is really throwing that shield like a badass! lol
Yeah I didn't mind this issue either. I don't think it's been up there with the last 2 years of stuff but at the same time it feels like a storyline that needed telling. It feels to me like if the "bad Cap" story is finished up there's room for fresh storylines to kick off. The other thing this kind of feels like is Brubaker doing a fairly by the numbers story to take it easy after such an intense period on Captain America (not saying that's the right thing to do but that's how it feels to me). Anyway, I'm still enjoying it.

As for Nomad, I actually really like the character. I love the idea that she's completely lost here in this world. She's got no one, no money, no real life and not much of a purpose except being Nomad. If handled right this could be a really touching character. However, I don't think she's being handled very well (actually being handled in a pretty uninspired way I think) and I don't think the backup fits with the tone of Captain America in the slightest.

I agree that it seems like a story that needed to be told. We get some closure on "bad" Cap and we get to see Buck and Sam work as a team some more. I think its the perfect arc for this book during Siege.

Also agree about the Nomad backup. The character has some real potential, but this backup has been pretty lackluster.

View user profile

96 Re: Captain America on Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:29 am

jaydee74

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I'm not as interested in the Nomad character. I'd rather see her as a supporting character within the Captain America book as opposed to starring in the backup story.

View user profile

97 Re: Captain America on Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:51 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Captain America #604

Another meh issue. I think I liked it a little better than the last issue, but it still wasn't that great. Again, this arc feels like filler. And again, I don't like the art. I've liked Luke Ross' art in the past, but here I'm not a fan. I think it has to do with the inking and coloring.

Oh, and once again I didn't read the Nomad backup.

View user profile

98 Re: Captain America on Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:29 pm

jaydee74

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I think the main story picked up a bit with this one. I really enjoyed what they did with Falcon in this issue. I thought Crazy Cap getting Bucky to put on the old uniform was pretty cool. I like where it's going but I think depending on what happens in the next story arc and more importantly what the backup issue is, I am going to be done with the conclusion of the next issue. I've been reading the backup issue and I am completely unimpressed. It's just completely lackluster and that is why I would drop this book starting with the next story. I don't want to read about Nomad.

View user profile

99 Re: Captain America on Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:13 am

[quote="Batman25JM"]Captain America #604



Oh, and once again I didn't read the Nomad backup.[/quote

I never read the Nomad backup; I've tried to no avail. I also agree with your assessment of "filler". I've enjoyed Brubaker's Cap without hesitation, but this storyline has been dull IMO.

View user profile

100 Re: Captain America on Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:37 am

I loved Falcon in this issue. I felt, however, that the issue seemed too preachy or something. I felt as if the suthor was dropping his viewpoints on politics in general in a less than subtle manner and I generally can't stand it when auhors do that, regardless of the message. In any case, this was a decent issue, though I did not care for the art. It feels far too messy for my tastes.

View user profile

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum