Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thor

+13
Ulik
Foreigner_Man
Toothgrinder
hrdwrkngXsoldier
Administrator
LOOSECANNON
shiky800
prescribeddrone
Nymn
Aussiemandias
Fresh03
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Bigtymin504
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Thor Empty Thor Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:31 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I say thee...discuss!!

Last edited by Bigtymin504 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:59 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : thread title)

2Thor Empty Re: Thor Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:32 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thor Giant-Sized Finale [BY JMS]
WRITER: J. Michael Straczynski
PENCILS: Marko Djurdjevic
INKS: Danny Miki
LETTERED BY: VC - Chris Eliopoulos

THE STORY:
Have the events of this arc not been shocking and gut-wrenching enough for you so far, dear readers?! All bets are off as the curtain falls - will friendly faces and a new, long-lost ally make all the difference for Thor? What are Loki's treacherous plans for the Asgardians in their new home of Latveria...and does the scheming Dr. Doom have an agenda of Doom's own? How will the humble, Earth-born Bill aid Balder, Asgard's rightful ruler...and at what cost? You won't want to miss this landmark issue of the critically acclaimed, mega-hit, Eisner-nominated THOR! New & Reprint/Rated T ...$4.99
IN STORES: November 25, 2009

First Look:
http://marvel.com/news/comicstories.10216.FIRST_LOOK~colon~_Thor_Giant-Size_Finale_%5BBy_JMS%5D

3Thor Empty Re: Thor Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:39 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm surprised he didn't have one. Nice work BT. Smile

I wonder what the future holds for him. I know JMS wasn't happy with the idea of including Thor in Dark Reign and I wonder if he was unhappy with the fact that he felt it was too early or the direction Marvel wanted to take him. Also, the current road their taking Thor down, with him being afraid of his power (or as I like to call it, Sentry Syndrome (or should I call it Ichigo Syndrome?)), I hope they don't use this as a means to scale him back severely (of course they will then again, I understand). In any case, I'm waiting to see what's in store for Thor (in other words, I'm eagerly awaiting Thor going to town on Sentry tongue ).

4Thor Empty Re: Thor Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:41 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

First Look:

Thor Thor2
Thor Thor3
Thor Thor1
Thor Thor4
Thor Thor5
Thor Thor-6
Thor Thor-7

giggity..

5Thor Empty Re: Thor Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:42 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Nice.

6Thor Empty Re: Thor Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:47 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:I'm surprised he didn't have one. Nice work BT. Smile

I wonder what the future holds for him. I know JMS wasn't happy with the idea of including Thor in Dark Reign and I wonder if he was unhappy with the fact that he felt it was too early or the direction Marvel wanted to take him. Also, the current road their taking Thor down, with him being afraid of his power (or as I like to call it, Sentry Syndrome (or should I call it Ichigo Syndrome?)), I hope they don't use this as a means to scale him back severely (of course they will then again, I understand). In any case, I'm waiting to see what's in store for Thor (in other words, I'm eagerly awaiting Thor going to town on Sentry tongue ).
Thor will kick Sentry's ass! Laughing Or at least he better. shake my head

But yeah I can't wait to see how JMS's epic run ends. He's built this for so long and its all been coming to a head the last couple issues. He said he's leaving because according to him, he's not "good with crossovers" and such. I wish he would stick around, but what can ya do. Thor's been isolated in his own corner for awhile now, so I'm glad Marvel is finally bringing him back into the mix of the greater MU..he is an original Avenger after all. Woulda been nice to have JMS on board too, but hopefully someone equally as great takes over the book for the long haul.

7Thor Empty Re: Thor Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:51 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

Oh what a sad day November 25th will be, JMS' run is over.

Although, I can't think of a better guy to take the reigns right now that Keiron Gillen, the man has gods down.

8Thor Empty Re: Thor Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:53 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I think poor Bill is in a spot of bother. Crying or Very sad

9Thor Empty Re: Thor Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:54 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:I'm surprised he didn't have one. Nice work BT. Smile

Thor will kick Sentry's ass! Laughing Or at least he better. shake my head

But yeah I can't wait to see how JMS's epic run ends. He's built this for so long and its all been coming to a head the last couple issues. He said he's leaving because according to him, he's not "good with crossovers" and such. I wish he would stick around, but what can ya do. Thor's been isolated in his own corner for awhile now, so I'm glad Marvel is finally bringing him back into the mix of the greater MU..he is an original Avenger after all. Woulda been nice to have JMS on board too, but hopefully someone equally as great takes over the book for the long haul.

Indeed, on all points.

Fresh03 wrote:Oh what a sad day November 25th will be, JMS' run is over.

Although, I can't think of a better guy to take the reigns right now that Keiron Gillen, the man has gods down.

Him and Matt fraction. He can write Thor well (at least miniseries). Anything to get him away from X-men.

10Thor Empty Re: Thor Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:57 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:Him and Matt fraction. He can write Thor well (at least miniseries). Anything to get him away from X-men.
Yeah Frac's Thor: Ages of Thunder stuff was awesome!

11Thor Empty Re: Thor Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:25 am

Nymn

Nymn
Pirate
Pirate

Yes! Those series of one-shots were all kinds of awesome! I wouldn't mind seeing Fraction on Thor regularly.

12Thor Empty Re: Thor Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:58 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I actually like those preview pages. Hmm. I'm getting that finale and the Thor vs Doom issues next month.

13Thor Empty Re: Thor Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:16 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I read issue 602 and I loved it... Dr. Strange and Thor should teamup more often, I like them together.

14Thor Empty Re: Thor Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:46 am

shiky800

shiky800
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

forget it i saw when it is coming out in the last few posts

15Thor Empty Re: Thor Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:31 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Thor: Defining Moments Giant-Size #1

So I get to my LCS pretty early (for me anyway, around 4 pm) and my vendor's got all this week's comics laid out on the counter. I see one, count it--one, Thor one-shot. I ask why only one? He said he didn't order many, as not too many order one-shots compared to the regular run. Don't people actually READ the solicits before ordering books or do they just mark them down as they check off the list? Because if they would've seen the word Straczynski near the title, they would've thought otherwise to pass this one up.

In hindsight, maybe it's no big deal. Thor has easily been my favorite Marvel book of 2008-2009, maybe only challenged by PAD's brilliant X-Factor run. It's unfortunate that circumstances call for JMS's leave from this ever-brilliant run due to editorial differences (hello Seige!), and it's even more unfortunate that he's not able to go out with a bang. So, no, this Giant-Size book is only 22 pages; Thor's hardly in it; only one plotline is closed (maybe); and the ending has a lot of meaning, frankly, from a symbolic standpoint. We're then left with a preview of the next book and a reprint of Thor's first appearance.

The best part? It's still JMS. It's still stellar writing: it contains at least two awesome battle sequences and advances the plot ever-so-soundly. It's just not Giant-Sized, that's all.

3.5/5 Doombots - JMS' last Thor ish is worth buying. Duh.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

16Thor Empty Re: Thor Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:31 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thor: Defining Moments Giant-Size #1

A fitting finale to what's been a legendary run by JMS, Oliver Coipel, and Marko Djurdjevic. The fate of "William the Warrior" bummed me out cuz I've come to love the character...but it was an honorable end to his story. The moment with the Warriors Three was so badass too, Volstagg is a beast! Now that Loki's cards are shown, I can't wait to see Thor's reaction.

I was a little disappointed that the main story wasn't really all that "Giant-Sized" though. A few things were resolved, but it seems like a lot of JMS's plot threads will be carrying over to the next writer. Which is good on one hand cuz I've loved this run so much but bad on the other hand cuz I would have liked to see JMS continue telling his story for a long time. But ultimately I'm excited about the direction Thor is headed in. Its about time he re-establishes his rightful place in the Marvel Universe.

Also, that preview of Gillen's next arc was damn good, especially Tan's art, not to mention the coloring.

17Thor Empty Re: Thor Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:58 pm

shiky800

shiky800
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:Thor: Defining Moments Giant-Size #1

So I get to my LCS pretty early (for me anyway, around 4 pm) and my vendor's got all this week's comics laid out on the counter. I see one, count it--one, Thor one-shot. I ask why only one? He said he didn't order many, as not too many order one-shots compared to the regular run. Don't people actually READ the solicits before ordering books or do they just mark them down as they check off the list? Because if they would've seen the word Straczynski near the title, they would've thought otherwise to pass this one up.

In hindsight, maybe it's no big deal. Thor has easily been my favorite Marvel book of 2008-2009, maybe only challenged by PAD's brilliant X-Factor run. It's unfortunate that circumstances call for JMS's leave from this ever-brilliant run due to editorial differences (hello Seige!), and it's even more unfortunate that he's not able to go out with a bang. So, no, this Giant-Size book is only 22 pages; Thor's hardly in it; only one plotline is closed (maybe); and the ending has a lot of meaning, frankly, from a symbolic standpoint. We're then left with a preview of the next book and a reprint of Thor's first appearance.

The best part? It's still JMS. It's still stellar writing: it contains at least two awesome battle sequences and advances the plot ever-so-soundly. It's just not Giant-Sized, that's all.

3.5/5 Doombots - JMS' last Thor ish is worth buying. Duh.
my comic shop would have the same mistake as your but i told him is the end of the run so he ordered a bunch of them.

i have to say this issue fell a little short for me. i thought there would have been a little more of an ending to the story with loki. but i am happy the next team is continuing the story

18Thor Empty Re: Thor Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:36 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thor #604

Well Kieron Gillen TOTALLY eased my concerns about JMS's departure on this book. This issue was just damn good! Gillen picked up right where JMS left off, and I feel like there wasn't any dip in quality at all. I loved seeing Balder take control as King, and finally put Loki in his place. But Loki, being himself, is still playing mind games and acting like he's done nothing wrong. His mischief never ends. Plus it was cool to see the Norse God of War, Týr make an appearance. I also really liked Dr. Blake's conversation with Reed, should be interesting what role he plays in the coming issues. Then the final sequence with Balder and company storming Castle Doom was awesome...looks like Doom will be getting a good beatdown courtesy the God of Thunder!

Another thing I really liked was Gillen's dialogue. Much like JMS, he's using very regal Middle Earth-like speech so that's good. Plus, Billy Tan's art was some of his best here, especially the first sequence with Doom and Kelda. Overall very impressive stuff from the new creative team.

19Thor Empty Re: Thor Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:12 am

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Thor #604

Well Kieron Gillen TOTALLY eased my concerns about JMS's departure on this book. This issue was just damn good! Gillen picked up right where JMS left off, and I feel like there wasn't any dip in quality at all. I loved seeing Balder take control as King, and finally put Loki in his place. But Loki, being himself, is still playing mind games and acting like he's done nothing wrong. His mischief never ends. Plus it was cool to see the Norse God of War, Týr make an appearance. I also really liked Dr. Blake's conversation with Reed, should be interesting what role he plays in the coming issues. Then the final sequence with Balder and company storming Castle Doom was awesome...looks like Doom will be getting a good beatdown courtesy the God of Thunder!

Another thing I really liked was Gillen's dialogue. Much like JMS, he's using very regal Middle Earth-like speech so that's good. Plus, Billy Tan's art was some of his best here, especially the first sequence with Doom and Kelda. Overall very impressive stuff from the new creative team.

Agreed on all points.

20Thor Empty Re: Thor Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:34 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shiky800 wrote:
i have to say this issue fell a little short for me. i thought there would have been a little more of an ending to the story with loki. but i am happy the next team is continuing the story
I agree with you about falling short. I thought it had the classic feel of a writer finishing their run earlier than planned. I feel like maybe JMS had much more planned overall than this. Anyway, he's certainly left heaps of plot threads for the new team to run with. I'm just a little disappointed in the preview for next issue that their first act is to kill off Kelda.

21Thor Empty Re: Thor Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:36 pm

shiky800

shiky800
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:
shiky800 wrote:
I agree with you about falling short. I thought it had the classic feel of a writer finishing their run earlier than planned. I feel like maybe JMS had much more planned overall than this. Anyway, he's certainly left heaps of plot threads for the new team to run with. I'm just a little disappointed in the preview for next issue that their first act is to kill off Kelda.

i am ok with them killing her cause i am suer she will be back

22Thor Empty Re: Thor Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:28 am

Nymn

Nymn
Pirate
Pirate

I'm bummed about Bill and Kelda. I was hoping Bill would magically become like the Asgardians and be immortal like the rest. That makes me wonder, since the Asgardians owe their immortality to the golden apples they eat, would they have the same effect on a human?
Oh, and Volstagg! He was awesome in the special! The comments on his nakedness were funny.

23Thor Empty Re: Thor Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:37 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Thor #604

Whew! Gillen and Tan not only survive in continuing JMS's epic run but they actually pick up the slack. We all know the "Giant-Size Finale" was a disappointing way to go out, so it's great to see the new team taking many of the same plot threads and excelling them. Their debut isn't a classic issue; it isn't up to par on the level of JMS' best. But what it does thus far is instill a good night's sleep for fans worried about one of Marvel's favorites.

Billy Tan's art has really improved. His environments and landscapes of Asgard and Latveria send off the right amount of glorious kingdom and villanous treachery. Characters stand out in how broadly intimidating they look and the final page is nothing less than astonishing. My favorite moments of Tan's art could be in the depictions of both Don Blake and Loki; their emotions of hope and sorrow are conveyed pretty well in their facial designs.

There's a lot of good in Gillen's script as well. While some of his flowery Asgardian dialogue might come off a little theatrical and stiff, it still captures the feel that JMS perfected. Since this is Kieron Gillen's first issue of Thor--despite history with Beta Ray Bill, among others--I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. A book containing this much dialogue should never read this fast or excite with this much plot movement. Thumbs up in that regard. As a major fan of Thor myself, here's to hoping this new team isn't a one-hit wonder.

4/5 Volstaggian Omelletes - Excellent debut

24Thor Empty Re: Thor Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:18 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I definitely think #604 was a good start for Gillen and Tan. Tan's art in particular looks like it suits this book beautifully. He's definitely right for the Asgardian side of things.

I also like the further use of Donald Blake as a character (started by JMS). I think it grounds the book a bit and creates a bit of an interesting dynamic. Interested to see what Jane's idea is. I suspect she may be heading to Oklahoma.

Anyway, looks like the book is in good hands so far.

25Thor Empty Re: Thor Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:45 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Do you think there will be a Donald Blake dynamic in the movie Thor?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum