Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wolverine

+17
comicgeekelly
rwe1138
BlueMaxx
Sandman
Debaser77
LordD3r3k
jaydee74
Ric Magnum
Batman25JM
Fresh03
hrdwrkngXsoldier
shiky800
Bigtymin504
LOOSECANNON
prescribeddrone
Sir Not
Administrator
21 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1Wolverine Empty Wolverine Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:26 am

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Discuss and review anything related to the character, its many appearances and the ongoing books Dark Wolverine and Wolverine Origins.

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

2Wolverine Empty Re: Wolverine Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:13 pm

Sir Not

Sir Not
Cadet
Cadet

I've gotta say, when I started collecting again about 2 years ago I shied away from all things mutant. I couldn't stomach the over-exposure and over hype, especially of everyone's favorite mutant- Wolverine. The 90s really killed both the character and mutants in general for me. But on a friend's (ok, several friends') recommendation, I picked up Old Man Logan HC. I was blown away. The art was gorgeous and the story was brutal and moving. I know it was only one arc, but is the series usually THAT good? If so, I may need to add it to my pull list (I know, I'll be adding the Weapon X Wolverine, not the new Dark Wolverine).

3Wolverine Empty Re: Wolverine Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:02 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Ugh, it was terrible.

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

4Wolverine Empty Re: Wolverine Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:05 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Sir Not wrote:I've gotta say, when I started collecting again about 2 years ago I shied away from all things mutant. I couldn't stomach the over-exposure and over hype, especially of everyone's favorite mutant- Wolverine. The 90s really killed both the character and mutants in general for me. But on a friend's (ok, several friends') recommendation, I picked up Old Man Logan HC. I was blown away. The art was gorgeous and the story was brutal and moving. I know it was only one arc, but is the series usually THAT good? If so, I may need to add it to my pull list (I know, I'll be adding the Weapon X Wolverine, not the new Dark Wolverine).

OML has mixed reviews, but yeah compared to a lot of the 90's stuff, it's a masterpiece. I would say that not every arc is that good, but there was a really good arc called "Get Mystique", that's a pretty good arc from about a year in a half ago. Also since you liked OML, you might want to check out "Enemy Of The State". That was a pretty good, crazy arc.

Dark Wolverine is good, the last arc is ending up to be 'meh' but the previous arc was great. Daken is an interesting character.

5Wolverine Empty Re: Wolverine Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:03 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Hey! NOT DEAD YET by Warren Ellis was pretty good, albeit a very quick read. I suggest it for those looking for SOMETHING Wolvie redeeming from the 90's.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

6Wolverine Empty Re: Wolverine Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:50 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Wolverine Origins #42

Way has done a great job with the follow up to the big Romulus reveal. This book could have fizzled out after that reveal, but the story has just gotten even more interesting with the inclusion of Banner and Skaar, Silver Samurai, and Cloak. Plus I love that the story is including Japan a little, always enjoyed Logan's connections to Japan and Japanese culture. Seeing Silver Samurai call Logan "gaijin" was a nice touch lol. Overall good issue, Logan's plan looks like its got Romulus a tad nervous.

7Wolverine Empty Re: Wolverine Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:09 pm

shiky800

shiky800
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Wolverine Origins #42

Way has done a great job with the follow up to the big Romulus reveal. This book could have fizzled out after that reveal, but the story has just gotten even more interesting with the inclusion of Banner and Skaar, Silver Samurai, and Cloak. Plus I love that the story is including Japan a little, always enjoyed Logan's connections to Japan and Japanese culture. Seeing Silver Samurai call Logan "gaijin" was a nice touch lol. Overall good issue, Logan's plan looks like its got Romulus a tad nervous.
agreed this was a very good issue. it is finally getting to the good part.

8Wolverine Empty Re: Wolverine Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:49 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Wolverine Origins #42

SSSSSSSNNNNNIIIIIKKKKKTTTT!!!

4/5 Snikts - If you like Wolverine and hate Romulus, still buy this! It's fun stuff!

9Wolverine Empty Re: Wolverine Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:57 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ I have to agree with the loose one on this one. The issue looks to be fleshing out to a greater perpose than finding out who the man behind the curtain is. I'm glad to see that there are people that don't like logan, or what he has done, He must be a hell of a salesmen though to get those people to help him anyway.

10Wolverine Empty Re: Wolverine Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:47 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Dark Wolverine #80

This month's Dark Wolverine was cool. I don't see any reviews on the web about this so I guess critics and webzines are ignoring this run 'til it becomes Wolverine again, if it ever does. Frankly, with so many Wolverine (Logan) books out there, I've enjoyed the change to Daken in the last couple months. The next issue looks to be the meeting of 2 strong manipulators, Karla Sofen and Daken. Should be interesting.

As for this issue, Daniel Way's take on Osborne is it's highlight, as once again plans don't always go the way Norm wants but he's so infused with reputation that he takes all the credit anyway. This issue definitely displays Daken in a different light despite still wrecking havoc like only he can (and thank God for that, considering what happened to Punisher). And it doesn't take a genius to try and figure out what happens in that last panel.

3/5 Claws - Respectable Daken arc comes to a close, opens up the lines for more chaos

11Wolverine Empty Re: Wolverine Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:53 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:Dark Wolverine #80

This month's Dark Wolverine was cool. I don't see any reviews on the web about this so I guess critics and webzines are ignoring this run 'til it becomes Wolverine again, if it ever does. Frankly, with so many Wolverine (Logan) books out there, I've enjoyed the change to Daken in the last couple months. The next issue looks to be the meeting of 2 strong manipulators, Karla Sofen and Daken. Should be interesting.

As for this issue, Daniel Way's take on Osborne is it's highlight, as once again plans don't always go the way Norm wants but he's so infused with reputation that he takes all the credit anyway. This issue definitely displays Daken in a different light despite still wrecking havoc like only he can (and thank God for that, considering what happened to Punisher). And it doesn't take a genius to try and figure out what happens in that last panel.

3/5 Claws - Respectable Daken arc comes to a close, opens up the lines for more chaos

Agreed. This arc started off better than it ended though. I prefer to see the master manipulator in Daken as opposed to the revenge-seeking fighter. Solid all around though, especially the Yu-like art.

12Wolverine Empty Re: Wolverine Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:15 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dark Wolverine #81

This was a solid and subdued exploration of Daken and how he manipulates people, in this case Karla Sofen. She has literally slept around with half the Dark Avengers squad (unfortunately Ares didn't get any action lol) but it seems like she's most attracted to Daken, but courtesy the pheromones most likely. It'll be interesting to see which direction Daken goes during Siege...redemption or full on villain?

13Wolverine Empty Re: Wolverine Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:30 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Daken #81

I also liked this issue as well. It got away from the normal "hired thug" aspect of Dark Reign and more about the inner struggles/desires in the daily lives of Daken and Moonstone. It's a nice one-shot that isn't going to set the world on fire, albeit different approach that deserves much props. The art was right on-point with the levity of it all, too.

3.5/5

14Wolverine Empty Re: Wolverine Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:04 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Wolverine Origins #43

I'm a fan of Cloak and Dagger so it was really nice to see them get some face time. I'm glad they joined the X-Men, what better way to get them out into the mainstream then a team up with Wolverine. I also really enjoyed the sparring match with Logan and Silver Samurai, its always great when they explore Logan's Japanese connections more.

15Wolverine Empty Re: Wolverine Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:51 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

W.O. #43

Is this the definitive run on Wolverine now that Daken has his own book and Jason Aaron's take comes off as an incredibly awesome Elseworlds tale?

We finished last month with Logan asking ol' pal/foe (notice everyone in Wolvie's past is a buddy-slash-enemy?) Silver Samurai to train him with the Muramusa Blade. What proceeds in the beginning pages of this issue is pretty good Kill Bill-type stuff, an often overlooked aspect in Wolverine's life. When I think of Wolverine, I think of Japan. Somehow, because of his ties with the X-Men and his gazillion appearances in every other--especially Avengers--books, we forget that.

As things go there is some trust issue between Logan and Cloak, following the death of a key player in this series. Unfortunately, the death tries to come off as pretty epic and nasty but since it's unseen, it's lacking much effect. In the other Wolverine series, Weapon X, there's so much gratuitous violence that anything less is Little Tikes stuff.

And I'm not so big on the final page. The art is really creepy and so now is the storytelling. Overall, this is just a strange book.

3/5 - I liked a lot of this issue, I'm just afraid of where this is all going.

16Wolverine Empty Re: Wolverine Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:09 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dark Wolverine was at it's best issue yet. Wow. Daken is awesome.

17Wolverine Empty Re: Wolverine Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:04 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dark Wolverine #82

I love what this book has done for Daken, he's really matured into a compelling character. And it was good to get some more perspective on the lead up to the attack on Asgard from the Dark Avengers point of view. Daken is once again playing mind games with the rest of the team and really seems to have something up his sleeve here. Also, interested in what those creepy chicks are all about...cuz that last sequence with him and Norman (if it was real) was crazy! surprised

18Wolverine Empty Re: Wolverine Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:07 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Dark Wolverine #82

I love what this book has done for Daken, he's really matured into a compelling character. And it was good to get some more perspective on the lead up to the attack on Asgard from the Dark Avengers point of view. Daken is once again playing mind games with the rest of the team and really seems to have something up his sleeve here. Also, interested in what those creepy chicks are all about...cuz that last sequence with him and Norman (if it was real) was crazy! surprised

Yeah, those last two pages were "Wait... Hold on a sec... I'm reading that again... What??? No way... Okay, that was unexpected and awesome all at once."

Wow, if that was real I totally didn't see that coming one bit, I've got a hunch or two about what's happening, guess I'm going to have to wait a month to see if I'm right.

Awesome read though regardless, Daken has become one of the must read characters each month thanks to this book, again, I never thought I'd say that when he was just in Origins.

Edit:

Wolverine: Weapon X #9

Continues to be THE Wolverine book, no Romulus, no pussy footing around, just Wolverine being Wolverine, awesome read, this whole Insane in the Membrane arc has been all sorts of a mind fuck, but man this issu took it to the next level.

Dr. Rott, who ever he is, is one of the best new Wolverine villains in quite a while. So many gruesomely awesome scenes in this. Wolvie finally gets his hands on Rott and guts him, so what Happens next?
Spoiler:
And that's just the begining, lol! Just wait until you see the scene between Nightcrawler and Psylocke, so funny I nearly fell out of my chair.

19Wolverine Empty Re: Wolverine Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:40 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Way and Liu interview on Daken:
http://comics.ign.com/articles/106/1062581p1.html

Two things...

IGN Comics: How literally should readers take the ending of Dark Wolverine #82? Has Daken really made his move against Osborn?

Liu: Have you ever heard of Schr?dinger's Cat? It's a paradoxical thought experiment, in which a cat is placed in a sealed box filled with poison. Until you open up the box to see whether the cat is alive or dead, both possibilities exist simultaneously. Think of Osborn as being the cat in the closed box. And Daken is the poison.

huh

Way: It's already been decided that Daken will continue in his own book after this arc. We've yet to decide on a title, but it's certain that Marjorie and I will be staying on board.

happy

20Wolverine Empty Re: Wolverine Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:20 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Well that is good Daken will be staying around. I don't wont wolverine Regular having another book though. He is already in team books. Origins is coming to an end soon, and Weapon X is just 15 levels of pure awesome. I'll take quality over quantity anyway.

Who/what the fuck is Dr Rott. The entire arc was good, this guy is like if McGiver and Letherface rolled into one with a dash of Dr. Frankenfurter.

21Wolverine Empty Re: Wolverine Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:17 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Dark Wolverine

This might've been my favorite Marvel Book of the Week (there were so many it's hard to track). I know not a lot happened, but just the sense of Daken's overall presence in Seige was worth it. This book wasn't about plot; it was more about how other characters--including teammates--react to Daken's...presence. Even when he doesn't do much, they're watching him. Everyone around Daken is worried about what this guy's going to do. For someone relatively new to the whole superhero game, that says a lot. Manipulation at it's finest.

4/5 - Really enjoyable book that actually takes place during Seige! (Unlike D.A. #13?)

um...I just realized there's a Weapon X thread...

22Wolverine Empty Re: Wolverine Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:51 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dark Wolverine #82

I dropped this book when it became Dark Wolverine because frankly, I don't care enough about Daken to get a book starring him.

The only reason I got this issue is because it is a Siege tie in. I HATED it. I absolutely HATED it. Daken seemed like a completely different character compared to what I've seen in Wolverine Origins and Dark Avengers (as well as other books). I didn't like one thing about this issue and I don't think I'll be getting the rest of the Siege tie in (and I almost never drop a book mid arc, even when I hate it).

23Wolverine Empty Re: Wolverine Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:08 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Shocked

Really? What made you hate it so much?

I really don't see much of a difference in Daken from DA and this. In Origins he was a bit more angst fueled but now he's a lot more fleshed out, I think. This book is just his point of view, basically. It's highly amusing to see him flirting with Dark Avenger members just to screw with them.

Reading Dark Wolverine made me a bigger Daken fan. I didn't mind him in Origins and liked him DA, but Daniel Way hit the nail on the head when he upgraded his characterization. I loved everything about this issue. But yeah, if you disliked this issue you wouldn't like the book at all. I hope to see Daken stick around for a long time, I love the manipulative bastard that he is.

He is what Wolverine was to the 80's and 90's, I think. Which is basically a new level of badass. Wolverine is the veteran badass, but Daken is the guy that even has the veteran badass go "damn, that's fucked up"

24Wolverine Empty Re: Wolverine Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:20 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^I just didn't like Daken's characterization at all. I can't say exactly why, but the book felt off.

Daken seems much more reserved in DA. Here he came off like a lunatic, and not an interesting or cunning lunatic, but a bat shit crazy/way too out there lunatic.

25Wolverine Empty Re: Wolverine Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:20 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

[deleted]

Strange double post.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum