Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wolverine

+17
comicgeekelly
rwe1138
BlueMaxx
Sandman
Debaser77
LordD3r3k
jaydee74
Ric Magnum
Batman25JM
Fresh03
hrdwrkngXsoldier
shiky800
Bigtymin504
LOOSECANNON
prescribeddrone
Sir Not
Administrator
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

26Wolverine - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:22 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:Dark Wolverine #82

I dropped this book when it became Dark Wolverine because frankly, I don't care enough about Daken to get a book starring him.

The only reason I got this issue is because it is a Siege tie in. I HATED it. I absolutely HATED it. Daken seemed like a completely different character compared to what I've seen in Wolverine Origins and Dark Avengers (as well as other books). I didn't like one thing about this issue and I don't think I'll be getting the rest of the Siege tie in (and I almost never drop a book mid arc, even when I hate it).
Well Daken has been amping up the manipulation a lot more since he took over this book. Its from his point of view so obviously we're able to get inside his head more. I mean, how can you hate something because you've been out of the loop?

27Wolverine - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:24 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^I can hate it because I didn't think it was good. It shouldn't matter that I haven't read the previous issues. Last week I read issue #3 of the Transformers ongoing. I hadn't read a single issue prior to that. I had little idea what was going on, but I still LOVED it.

28Wolverine - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:31 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:^I can hate it because I didn't think it was good. It shouldn't matter that I haven't read the previous issues. Last week I read issue #3 of the Transformers ongoing. I hadn't read a single issue prior to that. I had little idea what was going on, but I still LOVED it.
Well you said you "HATED" it cuz Daken's characterization was much different from what you remember before. You didn't give any other reason. Its cool if you hated it, just saying its on you for not knowing about Daken's manipulative characterization.

29Wolverine - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:37 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^It's not because the characterization is different that I hated it. I hated it because I didn't like the characterization. I mentioned the characterization was different from other books because it was inconsistent. I prefer the other characterization. I don't mind if things are different as long as I enjoy them. Here I didn't. I thought he was WAY too over the top. I'm all for manipulative people, but Daken came off as ridiculous in this issue. He came off like a cheap caricature. He seemed more like a joke than a master manipulator.

30Wolverine - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:51 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:^It's not because the characterization is different that I hated it. I hated it because I didn't like the characterization. I mentioned the characterization was different from other books because it was inconsistent. I prefer the other characterization. I don't mind if things are different as long as I enjoy them. Here I didn't. I thought he was WAY too over the top. I'm all for manipulative people, but Daken came off as ridiculous in this issue. He came off like a cheap caricature. He seemed more like a joke than a master manipulator.
Gotcha, that's fine if you don't like the characterization. The thing is, if you've been following this book, Daken's manipulative characterization hasn't been inconsistent at all. Maybe it feels different from the other books he's in right now because he's pretty much a background character at best in everything else, with little to no in-depth characterization, especially Dark Avengers. This book actually gets inside his head and lets us know what he's truly like.

31Wolverine - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:32 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Wolverine: Origins #44

Liking this story so far. Logan trying to rescue Ruby with Cloak's help, plus throw in some Romulus and Skaar/Ares slugfest action and that makes for a solid story.

32Wolverine - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:50 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

WO #44

Easily the worst book I bought this week. As soon as this series had just started to hit its stride with a few solid-to-really good issues, we have this junk. After the crossover with Dark Wolverine, I'm glad this title is coming to an end.

2/5 Bags&Boards - Pitiful

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

33Wolverine - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:51 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Origins was definately Meh... I'll be glad when it is over. Weapon X is definately the Wolvie story that i'm more interested in.

34Wolverine - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:56 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

HWXS, you're nailing it tonight (isn't that what she said?)

35Wolverine - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:14 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Dark Wolverine #83

Since I can't decide whether this issue was good or bad, let's just call it average. It's also fair to say that if Camuncoli wasn't elevating the story with his abstract art, it would lead me to be nonresponsive. Thankfully, it's a pretty book to behold. Camuncoli's depiction of Daken is one of sinister and naivity; his take on the three Fates that of mystique and devilish scorn. The full-page spread of a promised Ragnarok is easily one of the week's highlights. If you read the outstanding last issue, you already know by now that what happened on the last page didn't. Lui and Way's explanation for this actually brought a smile to my face.

So what's wrong with the book? I feel like the writers are unsure of their own direction. Do we tie into Siege profoundly such as last month, or we do go off on our own and explore the neverending manipulations of one Daken? Even if they try to accomplish both, it doesn't work. Seeing the preview art after the final page leads me into thinking this story will vear off on its own and not capitilize on Dark Wolverine's wishes for Osborne's doom. With that, I'm not sure this tie-in will do much to impact the main story. That's too bad--cause the book sure does look nice.

2.5/5 Bags&Boards - For a standalone issue of Dark Wolverine, it's decent enough. As a tie-in to an impactful event like Siege, it does nothing.

36Wolverine - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:15 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^I thought it was a pretty interesting and unique way to tie into Siege. Daken is really all about himself, so the fact that this book kinda shows his own personal struggle during Siege makes sense to me.

37Wolverine - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:34 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

bigtymin has never scored a review under a 5/5

drunken

38Wolverine - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:36 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:bigtymin has never scored a review under a 5/5

drunken
What are you talking about? I don't even score books. Rolling Eyes

39Wolverine - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:38 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

For that very reason! lol!

40Wolverine - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:53 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:For that very reason! lol!
I don't like scoring books mainly cuz I feel like different books set out to accomplish different things. So its hard to apply an accurate scoring system to them. I would probably just end up assigning arbitrary scores. Maybe if I get paid to review I'll start thinking about scores lol.

41Wolverine - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:31 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

I don't think anyone gets paid to review comic books. Even Wizard magazine never had real reviews...they just promoted a few new releases in the back; they're too scared to piss anyone off I think.

I use the IGN.com rating system then transfer it into an easier 1-5 scoring system. I find reviewing books a lot more fun when I can attach a score next to them, otherwise every review will sound like I'm praising the book too heavily. People do pay good money for these books, so I don't want to mislead them into thinking they're all classics, like someone I know Laughing

42Wolverine - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:24 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:I don't think anyone gets paid to review comic books. Even Wizard magazine never had real reviews...they just promoted a few new releases in the back; they're too scared to piss anyone off I think.

I use the IGN.com rating system then transfer it into an easier 1-5 scoring system. I find reviewing books a lot more fun when I can attach a score next to them, otherwise every review will sound like I'm praising the book too heavily. People do pay good money for these books, so I don't want to mislead them into thinking they're all classics, like someone I know Laughing

Whatever I post here (which are barely even "reviews") I don't post with the idea that what I say will influence what people buy. I don't put that sort of self-importance in my opinions. I buy what I wanna buy and I'm guessing most other people do the same. I'm just here to have interesting discussions of the books. You post your reviews on various different message boards apparently and that's cool, I often enjoy hearing your take, but I'm just here talkin books.

And I'm generally not overly negative about anything, but that doesn't mean I "praise" every book. I point out faults sometimes. Thing is, I'm just not one of those overly cynical comic fans you see everywhere online. If I'm buying a book and reading it, chances are I like it. If I drop a book I usually just state why and move on. And if I'm not reading a book, there's no sense in me bashing it. But like I said, I don't think my opinions are all that important to "mislead" anyone anyway.

43Wolverine - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:37 pm

Ric Magnum

Ric Magnum
Pirate
Pirate

Bigtymin504 wrote:
LOOSECANNON wrote:I don't think anyone gets paid to review comic books. Even Wizard magazine never had real reviews...they just promoted a few new releases in the back; they're too scared to piss anyone off I think.

Whatever I post here (which are barely even "reviews") I don't post with the idea that what I say will influence what people buy. I don't put that sort of self-importance in my opinions. I buy what I wanna buy and I'm guessing most other people do the same. I'm just here to have interesting discussions of the books. You post your reviews on various different message boards apparently and that's cool, I often enjoy hearing your take, but I'm just here talkin books.

And I'm generally not overly negative about anything, but that doesn't mean I "praise" every book. I point out faults sometimes. Thing is, I'm just not one of those overly cynical comic fans you see everywhere online. If I'm buying a book and reading it, chances are I like it. If I drop a book I usually just state why and move on. And if I'm not reading a book, there's no sense in me bashing it. But like I said, I don't think my opinions are all that important to "mislead" anyone anyway.

^This. I find people nowadays have extremely high standards for what their monthly comics should contain. I think along the same lines as BigTymin. I'm so sick of every book coming out and getting a negative "review". Every week people expect their comics to be the caliber of Watchmen or The Dark Pheonix Saga. People are just setting themselves up for failure. That's why I have low expectations. I don't expect every book I read to blow me away and make me ponder the meaning of life. I just read 'em and enjoy them for what they are. Some were critical of Mighty Avengers when it first came out for the most minute shit. That is a pretty good series. I have no problems with it. And I can't really fathom how others have a problem with it.

44Wolverine - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:41 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Amen....to the both of you.

45Wolverine - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:14 am

Ric Magnum

Ric Magnum
Pirate
Pirate

LOOSECANNON wrote:Amen....to the both of you.

Oh, forgot to mention this, but I enjoy your weekly reviews. Smile

46Wolverine - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:02 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Thank you.

I never meant to pick on bigtymin personally, he's probably the only guy who's as prolific as me in posting--meaning we both need other hobbies, clearly--and I understand he doesn't "review" comics per se; I was just having a little fun. Sorry if I came across too miserly.

47Wolverine - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:40 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Wolverine Origins #45

We get to see where Wolvie's master plan came from. That alone is worth reading this book. It will be nice to have this arc finally end with the conclusion of the series. Wolverine Weapon X is much better, but the writers have taken Loeb's creation Romulous, and actaully made the story interesting. Sabertooth has been gone for so long now, it is welcome IMO to have some new villians for the Canucklehead to battle with.

3 out of 5 Snikit bubs.

48Wolverine - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:02 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

Yeah, I guess if you want to pull something off that no one will see coming Wolvie definitely went to the right place, lol.

I was wondering what part Ruby Thursday was supposed to play in all of this, seemed a bit random, but the explanation was pretty solid.

I'm glad all of this Origins nonsense is finally heading towards the finish line, honestly I haven't really dug much that has come out of this book.

Give me Weapon X any day.

49Wolverine - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:04 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Wolverine Origins #45

This arc was a complete waste of time. Three-fourths of this issue showed much of the promise the beginning of the arc had, as the last few issues have suffered with pointless guest appearances and nonsensical plot structuring, but comes all a crashing down with an abrupt, stupid plot twist. I understand Daniel Way's thought process for not wanting to use typical plot devices such as "the lesser of two evils," etc.; but all the intriguing narration, Ruby Thursday dialogue, fight sequences and detailed art gets thrown out of the window during the last few pages. Honestly, I wouldn't have minded paying the extra dollar to see ten more pages that explained the final panel character's "plan."

Oh well.

2.5/5 Bags&Boards - The majority of the book is so enjoyable like a solid movie with a poor ending. Or a 4th movie by M. Night Shyamalan.

50Wolverine - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:12 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ric Magnum wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:

^This. I find people nowadays have extremely high standards for what their monthly comics should contain. I think along the same lines as BigTymin. I'm so sick of every book coming out and getting a negative "review". Every week people expect their comics to be the caliber of Watchmen or The Dark Pheonix Saga. People are just setting themselves up for failure. That's why I have low expectations. I don't expect every book I read to blow me away and make me ponder the meaning of life. I just read 'em and enjoy them for what they are. Some were critical of Mighty Avengers when it first came out for the most minute shit. That is a pretty good series. I have no problems with it. And I can't really fathom how others have a problem with it.
I don't read this title but I wanted to comment on how people give negative reviews on books. They like to complain about something. With comics costing what they do, people probably feel that they should be getting what the feel should be an absolute winner every issue and sometimes that's just not the case. I don't get why people would be buying something they don't like. Makes no sense to me. I'm not a huge Wolverine fan but I have skimmed this book enough here and there to think it's ok. At my blog, I usually review things I like. Why? I can't afford to get anything I don't like.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum