Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Iron Man

+13
TheeDoctorWhoHasDreads?
Batman25JM
gangsternerd
THALASTDRAGON
Sir Not
Aussiemandias
Rath99
LOOSECANNON
prescribeddrone
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
shiky800
Bigtymin504
Administrator
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

26Iron Man - Page 2 Empty Re: Iron Man Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:30 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Invincible Iron Man #21

Whoa! Two weeks in a row I was surprised to see um you know who in a comic lol. The timing is just surprising, but I guess now we know where this arc fits in chronologically. And heck I ain't complaining. Very Happy Even though that kinda overshadowed it for me, this was yet another amazing issue. Tony's plan is coming together, and I love the fact that his closest friends in life are all playing a major part in bringing him back. And the part with Pepper, great stuff.

27Iron Man - Page 2 Empty Re: Iron Man Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:54 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Invincible Iron Man #21

Ahhh...the Marvel continuity is screwed. It makes you wonder it's even worth buying singles when "waiting for the trade" allows the same enjoyment. I know Seige is right around the corner, but why is one-third--and some would argue the most important element--of this Seige trinity ruined? It pleases us to see the outcome, but if we don't know the "know how" of this result, what good is it? It definitely decays the level of suspense. With all that said, this issue is amazing.

It's a little quick after just receiving #20 last week and that's in part due with the new event coming fast. While it's nice to get another banger of an issue of Invincible, perhaps all these early reveals and impactful moments could be overwhelming. I'll let it go in my review of Matt Fraction's work, for editorial decisions and mishaps are not the writer's fault. He pens the hell out of this book, going on to capture Pepper's divided emotions in resurrecting Stark. Fraction also gives us a sense at just how damn smart this man was, with Stark's seemingly countered responses to every hero's suggestions at "fixing" him out of his vegative state.

Marvel's done a wonderful job at knocking down their big three and bringing them all back again. Will the final battle be worth this seven year journey? Let's hope.

4.5/5 Bags&Boards - Outstanding book diminished a tad due to horrible editorial leaks

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

28Iron Man - Page 2 Empty Re: Iron Man Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:05 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Issue #21 was great. Except for.....

Bigtymin504 wrote:Invincible Iron Man #21

Whoa! Two weeks in a row I was surprised to see um you know who in a comic lol. The timing is just surprising, but I guess now we know where this arc fits in chronologically. And heck I ain't complaining. Very Happy Even though that kinda overshadowed it for me, this was yet another amazing issue. Tony's plan is coming together, and I love the fact that his closest friends in life are all playing a major part in bringing him back. And the part with Pepper, great stuff.
I'm pretty pissed off about these Cap appearances. This is a monumental screw up as far as I'm concerned. Marvel and DC really have to look at not using slow or unreliable artists for series that are time critical. That is, where there are other stories that are dependant on the mini series (or ongoing) at a certain point in time you MUST use artists that will ensure you get the comic out on time. Where it's not so time critical who cares? Use whoever is best.

Just on Pepper - I actually don't really get her point of view here. I don't think it totally makes sense with her character but probably not that big a deal I guess.

LOOSECANNON wrote:Invincible Iron Man #21
Ahhh...the Marvel continuity is screwed.
It's not really their continuity, it's their sequencing. And I think it's ordinary! Mad

29Iron Man - Page 2 Empty Re: Iron Man Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:57 pm

Sir Not

Sir Not
Cadet
Cadet

Bigtymin504 wrote:I'm pretty pissed off about these Cap appearances. This is a monumental screw up as far as I'm concerned.

Dude, really? Were you upset because it was spoiled for you? Here's a hint; the series is called "Captain America: Reborn". That should have been your first clue that he'd be back. It's not like these issues came out a month before CA:R was announced. So Hitch is a bit behind schedule, you know Cap's coming back, otherwise they'd have called it Captain America: He's Still Dead. So what if the art is slowing it down. It's quality and that's all that really matters. It's not like he's pulling a Kevin Smith and just not finishing it.

In other words, chill out bro. It'll be alright.

30Iron Man - Page 2 Empty Re: Iron Man Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:33 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Sir Not wrote:
Aussimandias wrote:I'm pretty pissed off about these Cap appearances. This is a monumental screw up as far as I'm concerned.

Dude, really? Were you upset because it was spoiled for you? Here's a hint; the series is called "Captain America: Reborn". That should have been your first clue that he'd be back. It's not like these issues came out a month before CA:R was announced. So Hitch is a bit behind schedule, you know Cap's coming back, otherwise they'd have called it Captain America: He's Still Dead. So what if the art is slowing it down. It's quality and that's all that really matters. It's not like he's pulling a Kevin Smith and just not finishing it.

Fixed.

You accidentally quoted my name instead of my buddy Aussimandias. Honest mistake.

31Iron Man - Page 2 Empty Re: Iron Man Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:45 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Sir Not wrote:

I do tend to agree that I'm overeacting so that's a fair point. The rest of your comments aren't fair points because they're shrouded in smart ass condescension and unfortunately based on an incorrect assumption on your part that I was upset by the spoiler that Steve Rogers is back. I had no doubts that Steve was coming back and that was what Captain America: Reborn was about. In fact the thing that has annoyed me is what we didn't know which is what capacity Steve was coming back in. No one knew whether he was going to come back and be Cap again or what he was going to do on his return. There is even a one shot that should have been out by now - Who Will Wield The Shield? - that I imagine answers that very question.

However, we have now seen him in Captain America uniform so it's pretty safe to assume that we probably have a bit of a clue as to who will wield the shield (actually I think it's good to see Bucky's still in uniform too).

Anyway, the main thing that annoys me is that the whole thing is sloppy and pretty poor form on Marvel's part. I do tend to shell out a bit of cash on this stuff and for some reason it then aggravates me when they screw things up.

32Iron Man - Page 2 Empty Re: Iron Man Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:45 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

I know, I sometimes I wonder if I should've waited for all the trades lol

33Iron Man - Page 2 Empty Re: Iron Man Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:15 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Iron Man's new armor in The Heroic Age!!
Iron Man - Page 2 IronManNew

http://marvel.com/news/comicstories.10844.marvel_unleashes_iron_man~apos~s_new_armor

Fraction: "The inspiration for the new design came from thinking about a sleeker, leaner, tougher Iron Man. If technology is increasingly getting smaller and lighter it seems like the Iron Man should do the same: ergonomic and aerodynamic. We were looking for something that felt as sleek and glossy as a sports car Tony Stark would covet. I love what we've come up with. It feels like the next evolutionary step in the Iron Man's design."

Sounds good. Smile

34Iron Man - Page 2 Empty Re: Iron Man Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:13 am

THALASTDRAGON

THALASTDRAGON
Zombie
Zombie

u beat me to it lol, i actually just saw it on ign bout an hour or so ago tho. not gonna lie, i like it, it looks cool

35Iron Man - Page 2 Empty Re: Iron Man Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:38 am

gangsternerd

gangsternerd
Pirate
Pirate

just on ign and shot here to discuss
sick threads

36Iron Man - Page 2 Empty Re: Iron Man Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:04 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

It does look really cool.

37Iron Man - Page 2 Empty Re: Iron Man Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:47 pm

shiky800

shiky800
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

the new ironman looks great. i wonder if he will have the extremis

38Iron Man - Page 2 Empty Re: Iron Man Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:45 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I flipped through the new issue and it was cool to see them use real occult symbols. I dig them.

Tetragrammaton is cool stuff. Did Dr. Strange ever use the Seal of Solomon? I'm not sure if it was in that same pic or anywhere else.

Iron Man - Page 2 Talisman-tetragrammaton-MT8

39Iron Man - Page 2 Empty Re: Iron Man Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:21 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

IM #22

It's a quick read (every page has 3-4 panels), there are plot holes (characters appear and disappear at will; some situations make absolutely no sense), and some of the faces are drawn rather generically. Then why do I love this issue so much? Because it's Matt Fraction's definitive run. Invincible Iron Man's a title you can judge solely per issue if you'd like, but it would really make no sense. You know Fraction's looking at the bigger picture. Since the scenario is so big, Tony Stark's closest companions over the years are here for him and the cameos never look gratuitous.

The winner of #22 is Larroco and D'Armata. The art simply looks fantasic. The placement of objects and players in each scene is precise; the colors resemble the out-of-this-world phases of Tony's coma/dreamlike state; and various shadows and glows really make each scene pop out. Something dark, something magical and somethign important is happening here. Maybe not all in these particular 22 pages--and you're accustomed to this if you've been on board since World's Most Wanted--but in the grand scheme of things. Kudos to making Ghost a legitimate threat; I guess the results aren't as obvious as we think.

3.5/5 Occult Symbols - Nothing mind-blowing, but it's Fraction's Iron Man. Come on!

40Iron Man - Page 2 Empty Re: Iron Man Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:44 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:IM #22

It's a quick read (every page has 3-4 panels), there are plot holes (characters appear and disappear at will; some situations make absolutely no sense), and some of the faces are drawn rather generically. Then why do I love this issue so much? Because it's Matt Fraction's definitive run. Invincible Iron Man's a title you can judge solely per issue if you'd like, but it would really make no sense. You know Fraction's looking at the bigger picture. Since the scenario is so big, Tony Stark's closest companions over the years are here for him and the cameos never look gratuitous.

The winner of #22 is Larroco and D'Armata. The art simply looks fantasic. The placement of objects and players in each scene is precise; the colors resemble the out-of-this-world phases of Tony's coma/dreamlike state; and various shadows and glows really make each scene pop out. Something dark, something magical and somethign important is happening here. Maybe not all in these particular 22 pages--and you're accustomed to this if you've been on board since World's Most Wanted--but in the grand scheme of things. Kudos to making Ghost a legitimate threat; I guess the results aren't as obvious as we think.

3.5/5 Occult Symbols - Nothing mind-blowing, but it's Fraction's Iron Man. Come on!

Yeah this was a slower issue, more set up than anything, and still very solid. The pieces are starting to fall together for Tony's return, its just a matter of time now...

41Iron Man - Page 2 Empty Re: Iron Man Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:30 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

New art with Iron Man's new armor:

Iron Man - Page 2 Previewsironmancover

Larroca always kills it when drawing Iron Man or armors in general. Smile

42Iron Man - Page 2 Empty Re: Iron Man Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:55 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

prescribeddrone wrote:I flipped through the new issue and it was cool to see them use real occult symbols. I dig them.

Tetragrammaton is cool stuff. Did Dr. Strange ever use the Seal of Solomon? I'm not sure if it was in that same pic or anywhere else.

Iron Man - Page 2 Talisman-tetragrammaton-MT8
I thought that panel with Doctor Strange and Stark lying in front of him was beautifully done. You can tell Larroca must have put a lot of work into planning that out.

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Yeah this was a slower issue, more set up than anything, and still very solid. The pieces are starting to fall together for Tony's return, its just a matter of time now...
Yeah I've found these issues a little slow but I tend to think Fraction's entitled to it considering all the build up to this over the last year or so. As you say it's all heading for Tony's return.

43Iron Man - Page 2 Empty Re: Iron Man Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:12 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

#22 was just meh for me. I'm just not a fan of dreamworlds, hallucinations, and things of that kind. So, I haven't liked this arc much because of that fact.

44Iron Man - Page 2 Empty Re: Iron Man Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:30 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

IIM #23

I'm torn. While enjoying the inner realms of Tony's mindscape with Strange at his leige, I can't help but feel this deconstruction is getting a bit stagnant. We get the picture: Stark's going to have to find himself, no matter how powerful the help, no matter how dire the circumstances, all while a second (or third) rate villain infiltrates his quarters. It just doesn't capture the excitement of say, when Atrocitus first confronted Hal during Sinestro's captivity in Rage of the Red Lanterns. The "Boom BOOOMBOOM." Okay, so now I'm being a bit silly.

But you get what I'm saying.

Where is Iron Man? Oh, he's sure to appear next issue; if he doesn't, he's bound to appear in the first issue of the next arc, tying into Siege. We get that. There's a humored revelation shared between Potts and Hill, and sadly, that's the highlight of the book. I fell asleep last night staring at the last panel, saying, "that's it?"

I notice the art is getting shunned by some critics. I have no idea why they're still giving the dynamic team of Larocca and D'Armata hell. These guys are the perfect suitors for a book as big as Iron Man, as the title constantly contains dynamic characters full of great emotional expressions and a wondrous color pallette that is constantly altering its state throughout the arc.

Just imagine this being your first issue of Iron Man, though. Yikes.

3.5/5 Bags&Boards - The penultimate issue works wonders in exploring Stark's state, just don't expect too much other than that.

45Iron Man - Page 2 Empty Re: Iron Man Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:40 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:IIM #23

I'm torn. While enjoying the inner realms of Tony's mindscape with Strange at his leige, I can't help but feel this deconstruction is getting a bit stagnant. We get the picture: Stark's going to have to find himself, no matter how powerful the help, no matter how dire the circumstances, all while a second (or third) rate villain infiltrates his quarters. It just doesn't capture the excitement of say, when Atrocitus first confronted Hal during Sinestro's captivity in Rage of the Red Lanterns. The "Boom BOOOMBOOM." Okay, so now I'm being a bit silly.

But you get what I'm saying.

Where is Iron Man? Oh, he's sure to appear next issue; if he doesn't, he's bound to appear in the first issue of the next arc, tying into Siege. We get that. There's a humored revelation shared between Potts and Hill, and sadly, that's the highlight of the book. I fell asleep last night staring at the last panel, saying, "that's it?"

I notice the art is getting shunned by some critics. I have no idea why they're still giving the dynamic team of Larocca and D'Armata hell. These guys are the perfect suitors for a book as big as Iron Man, as the title constantly contains dynamic characters full of great emotional expressions and a wondrous color pallette that is constantly altering its state throughout the arc.

Just imagine this being your first issue of Iron Man, though. Yikes.

3.5/5 Bags&Boards - The penultimate issue works wonders in exploring Stark's state, just don't expect too much other than that.

Yeah this issue was just okay for me, the inside Tony's mind parts were just kinda...strange (heh). But I loved the part when Pepper and Maria discover that Tony slept with both of them recently. I've been waiting for that since he banged both of them the past year! Laughing

And totally agree with you on Larocca's art. I think he's been great, he's especially awesome at drawing armors and other technological stuff, which is exactly what you want in an artist for Iron Man.

46Iron Man - Page 2 Empty Re: Iron Man Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:57 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:IIM #23
I notice the art is getting shunned by some critics. I have no idea why they're still giving the dynamic team of Larocca and D'Armata hell.
Didn't know that. I think the art is perfect for this book and they're doing great work. I was looking back over all the issues since the start and I really think Larroca's done some beautiful and fantastic covers for this series.

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Yeah this issue was just okay for me, the inside Tony's mind parts were just kinda...strange (heh). But I loved the part when Pepper and Maria discover that Tony slept with both of them recently. I've been waiting for that since he banged both of them the past year! Laughing

And totally agree with you on Larocca's art. I think he's been great, he's especially awesome at drawing armors and other technological stuff, which is exactly what you want in an artist for Iron Man.
You know that bit with Maria and Pepper - I could see Pepper being pissed about it but, I don't know, I just can't see Maria getting too worked up. She doesn't seem the type. I could see her being more "oh this is awkward" than anything else. Just my view though.

As far as this issue goes I'd have to agree with both of you that it's dragged on a little. Maybe Fraction's gone for one or two many issues with this story arc. Have to say I kind of like Larroca's Dr Strange.

47Iron Man - Page 2 Empty Re: Iron Man Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:08 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Invincible Iron Man #24

This issue was a big improvement over the last one, things finally kicked into high gear with Ghost's assassination attempt. It was interesting to see Tony's inner guilt for all the people that he's lost throughout his life. And the end was pretty damn surprising...it seems like Tony didn't know about anything that's happened since before about Civil War. I'm looking forward to his reaction now that he's studied up on it all.

Another thing I find really cool is that Steve, Thor, and Tony have now all stared death in the face recently and made it through. They all seem to have come out of it with different perspectives too. Can't wait to see their new dynamic in the Heroic Age.

48Iron Man - Page 2 Empty Re: Iron Man Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:35 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Invincible Iron Man #24

As many have already claimed, the Disassembled finale was a vast improvement over last month's ish, with a dream sequence that actually excels, and more importantly chills fanboy funnybones, for once. It's basically purgatory for Stark, and with the distraction of his friends, he doesn't have to worry about war crime hell. If you've been hibernating the past 2 months, that's really no spoiler since thousands of solicits, pictures and interviews show that Stark makes it out alive in time to rejoin his trinity (not to mention last week's Thunderbolts issue that has Ghost...).

I'm just glad Fraction really took the time to think this one out and not tack on a typical superhero "rises" ending. Great job all around on the air-brushed style art, as I'm tending to see more Robert Downey Jr. in this issue from LaRocca than usual, but that's probably just me excited for the movie (you say Josh Hollaway, I say thataway). The next arc as well as the Avengers Prime mini should be most intriguing.

4/5 Bags&Boards - Excellent ending to a truly twisted, albeit inconsistently enjoyable arc.

49Iron Man - Page 2 Empty Re: Iron Man Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:10 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Invincible Iron Man #24

This issue was a big improvement over the last one, things finally kicked into high gear with Ghost's assassination attempt. It was interesting to see Tony's inner guilt for all the people that he's lost throughout his life. And the end was pretty damn surprising...it seems like Tony didn't know about anything that's happened since before about Civil War. I'm looking forward to his reaction now that he's studied up on it all.
And it did make perfect sense although I hadn't thought of it. How often would he do these backups? It's no surprise that the last time he did it was a while ago. Such a cool idea - I loved it!

I actually thought Doctor Strange really excelled in this issue (I want to see Larroca on a Doctor Strange book at some stage - his version looked great and I think he could take a really different approach to the magic side of things visually). The art was great and I'm actually becoming a big fan of the Ghost character - he's got a lot of complexity to his motives which makes him very interesting. Glad to know he'll be continuing on with the Thunderbolts.

Overall I think this was Fraction's best issue in a while.

50Iron Man - Page 2 Empty Re: Iron Man Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:14 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:Invincible Iron Man #24

And it did make perfect sense although I hadn't thought of it. How often would he do these backups? It's no surprise that the last time he did it was a while ago. Such a cool idea - I loved it!

Yeah I think its an awesome concept! It will be very interesting if they have Fraction do a deconstruction analysis of the last few years of Tony Stark's life, which have easily been the character's most popular/eventful/controversial ever. There's so much potential with this development, I can't wait to see what Frac does with it.

I also really liked Strange in this issue. I loved it when he said he's the master of mystic AND martial arts...badass! And you're right, if there is another Strange project coming up, Larroca better be on the art.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum