The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Marvel MAX

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Marvel MAX on Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:15 am

Administrator


Administrator
Administrator
Discuss and review Punishermax (what in hell did they do to that tile?!), Terror Inc. and rest of the books and mini-series in the MAX imprint.

View user profile http://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

2 Re: Marvel MAX on Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:22 am

Esbat

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I loved The Hood mini. Absolutely loved it inspite of the fact I'm not big on the "MAX" line due to the censorship they do to its titles. I want my damn nude Elektra NUDE, dammit!

View user profile http://realityfugitives.com/

3 Re: Marvel MAX on Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:35 am

Administrator


Administrator
Administrator
That's the hypocrisy of American entertainment.

View user profile http://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

4 Re: Marvel MAX on Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:08 pm

Rath99

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I enjoy the Max line. While Marvel will cross the line with language I can't see them doing the same with nudity. Tomer is right when he said "That's the hypocrisy of American entertainment." You can curse up a storm and slaughter an entire city of people but show a little boob and the world stops.


------------------------------------


View user profile

5 Re: Marvel MAX on Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:56 pm

Debaser77

avatar
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven
Review of Punisher MAX # 1 is up on the main site.

http://panelsonpages.com/?p=14954


------------------------------------
Hell has frozen over...I am now on the Twitter at http://twitter.com/Debaser77

View user profile

6 Re: Marvel MAX on Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:35 pm

Rath99

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Good review

Good start to the series


------------------------------------


View user profile

7 Re: Marvel MAX on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:36 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Punishermax #1

Great Scotts! More Punisher violence! This book has not sold well in Ennis' absence. This all changes this week with the arrival of Punishermax #1. It's got Steve Dillon, and Jason Aaron pens like the Punisher legend who paved his way here. It's not bad to write nearly identical to someone so impactful; the only problem was not hearing Aaron's voice. With Scalped and Weapon X currently being favs of mine, I couldn't help but read this as a fresh take on the continuity that was Ennis' run. That sounds awfully good. It reads good. It's just that if you read last year's solid Punisher: War Zone series from Dillon & Ennis, you don't get the sense Punishermax is Aaron's book.

At least not just yet. The cartoony over-the-top violent pencils and persuasive dialogue go hand-in-hand, so we're off to an exciting start regardless. Nutty fun, for sure.

3.5/5 Bags&Boards - Add This 2 The Punch

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

8 Re: Marvel MAX on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:42 pm

Debaser77

avatar
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven
Rath99 wrote:I enjoy the Max line. While Marvel will cross the line with language I can't see them doing the same with nudity. Tomer is right when he said "That's the hypocrisy of American entertainment." You can curse up a storm and slaughter an entire city of people but show a little boob and the world stops.

I remember when Frank Cho hinted at his Shanna THe She-Devil series, he said it would be a Max book with nudity, but it was then watered down to a Marvel Knights book with no boobage.


------------------------------------
Hell has frozen over...I am now on the Twitter at http://twitter.com/Debaser77

View user profile

9 Re: Marvel MAX on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:46 pm

Debaser77

avatar
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven
Double post...nothing to see here.



Last edited by Debaser77 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total


------------------------------------
Hell has frozen over...I am now on the Twitter at http://twitter.com/Debaser77

View user profile

10 Re: Marvel MAX on Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:48 pm

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Punishermax #1

This was my first foray into The Punisher in the MAX universe and I didn't mind it all. Pretty brutal but felt immediately like I was in a mafia style story which should be good. I think the rise of Wilson Fisk will be an entertaining story.

As I'm a newbie to this stuff can someone fill me in - I take it The Punisher MAX stuff has it's own continuity? And is he in his 50s or something here as the mafia guys mentioned he's been a pain in their ass for 30 years? Has Wilson Fisk ever been shown in this universe before or is this his first appearance?

View user profile

11 Re: Marvel MAX on Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:52 pm

Debaser77

avatar
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven
I think this is Fisk's first appearance in the MAX Universe. I know Nick Fury was featured in one of Garth Ennis' arcs of the first Punisher MAX series, and I think Jigsaw was featured at some point.


------------------------------------
Hell has frozen over...I am now on the Twitter at http://twitter.com/Debaser77

View user profile

12 Re: Marvel MAX on Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:28 pm

ChrisToPhenom


Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I love MAX. Anything Marvel releases that breaks up with the Comics Code Authority and establishes its own rating system has to be good. I think I've only read a few...Elektra and The Punisher comes to mind. But again just like the Mangaverse series-I can get them for dirt ceap from Amazon or eBay. I don't but comics like I used to so I should get started soon...

Doesn't DC have a mature series? Vertigo, right?

View user profile

13 Re: Marvel MAX on Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:11 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Punisher Max #1

I've always been a firm believer that Punisher only truly works in a Max or "adult" book. He can be used in the regular MU but just not to the full potential of the character. That said, I really enjoyed this book. Maybe I've gone soft over the years, but man did some of the violence make me cringe Laughing But that's exactly what I expect from a Punisher book. Plus Steve Dillon is perfect for the book's tone, and Jason Aaron is a superstar in the making. Looking forward his take on Punisher going forward.

View user profile

14 Re: Marvel MAX on Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:50 pm

ChrisToPhenom


Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Bigtymin504 wrote:Punisher Max #1

I've always been a firm believer that Punisher only truly works in a Max or "adult" book. He can be used in the regular MU but just not to the full potential of the character. That said, I really enjoyed this book. Maybe I've gone soft over the years, but man did some of the violence make me cringe Laughing But that's exactly what I expect from a Punisher book. Plus Steve Dillon is perfect for the book's tone, and Jason Aaron is a superstar in the making. Looking forward his take on Punisher going forward.
Good review, Bigtymin504-you pretty much hit the nail on it's head with the Punisher owns MAX. Though that's true, I'd like to see dark times for every superhero-yes, I'm wanting Spider-Man to be a part of this...who knows?

View user profile

15 Re: Marvel MAX on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:04 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
ChrisToPhenom wrote:Good review, Bigtymin504-you pretty much hit the nail on it's head with the Punisher owns MAX. Though that's true, I'd like to see dark times for every superhero-yes, I'm wanting Spider-Man to be a part of this...who knows?

Thanks Smile

As far as other characters like Spidey going "Max" goes, I don't think it will ever happen. Marvel wants to keep a certain image for its most mainstream heroes like Spidey, Cap, Hulk, Iron Man, and yes even Wolverine to a degree...so don't expect to see any nudity and/or extremely gratuitous violence in any book featuring Marvel's big guns. Closest we're gonna get is probably the Noir-line..

View user profile

16 Re: Marvel MAX on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:14 pm

ChrisToPhenom


Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Bigtymin504 wrote:
ChrisToPhenom wrote:Good review, Bigtymin504-you pretty much hit the nail on it's head with the Punisher owns MAX. Though that's true, I'd like to see dark times for every superhero-yes, I'm wanting Spider-Man to be a part of this...who knows?

Thanks Smile

As far as other characters like Spidey going "Max" goes, I don't think it will ever happen. Marvel wants to keep a certain image for its most mainstream heroes like Spidey, Cap, Hulk, Iron Man, and yes even Wolverine to a degree...so don't expect to see any nudity and/or extremely gratuitous violence in any book featuring Marvel's big guns. Closest we're gonna get is probably the Noir-line..
Good point but speaking of Iron Man-he made an appearance in The Punisher video game including with Stark Towers and you might as well say that was a MAX game-extremely violent. I'll have to play the game again-never got to finish it. Here's a clip-

View user profile

17 Re: Marvel MAX on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:20 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
ChrisToPhenom wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:
ChrisToPhenom wrote:Good review, Bigtymin504-you pretty much hit the nail on it's head with the Punisher owns MAX. Though that's true, I'd like to see dark times for every superhero-yes, I'm wanting Spider-Man to be a part of this...who knows?

Thanks Smile

As far as other characters like Spidey going "Max" goes, I don't think it will ever happen. Marvel wants to keep a certain image for its most mainstream heroes like Spidey, Cap, Hulk, Iron Man, and yes even Wolverine to a degree...so don't expect to see any nudity and/or extremely gratuitous violence in any book featuring Marvel's big guns. Closest we're gonna get is probably the Noir-line..
Good point but speaking of Iron Man-he made an appearance in The Punisher video game including with Stark Towers and you might as well say that was a MAX game-extremely violent. I'll have to play the game again-never got to finish it. Here's a clip-


Haha nice. Yeah whenever it comes to the issues of sex, nudity, and violence...people always find violence the most allowable for some reason. Laughing

View user profile

18 Re: Marvel MAX on Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:56 pm

Administrator


Administrator
Administrator
Spider-Man will never be featured in MAX (well, except for the recent Strange Tales, that was a project Marvel could allow) because his too huge of an icon and appeals to youngsters. They'll ruin his life, bring crappy storylines that involve deals with demons and ancient aunts that refuse to die - but Marvel will never let Spidey be portrayed in a uber-violent or uncensored way. Millar's Marvel Knights Spider-Man was the closest thing we'll ever get to a MAX Spider-Man story.

As for the Punisher: I've been pretty much out of the loop in recent years, but I thought that his "realistic" origin and Vietnam days was both part of the MU and MAX world. When he returned to the MU post-Civil War it was awkward, but I just thought it was the way certain artist drew him. Now I rather see Frank just in his own little world, especially after what they did to him after Steve Rogers died and now the most recent development. Suddenly the black Frank Castle and angelic Punisher sound like good premises...

View user profile http://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

19 Re: Marvel MAX on Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:57 pm

Administrator


Administrator
Administrator
ChrisToPhenom wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:
ChrisToPhenom wrote:Good review, Bigtymin504-you pretty much hit the nail on it's head with the Punisher owns MAX. Though that's true, I'd like to see dark times for every superhero-yes, I'm wanting Spider-Man to be a part of this...who knows?

Thanks Smile

As far as other characters like Spidey going "Max" goes, I don't think it will ever happen. Marvel wants to keep a certain image for its most mainstream heroes like Spidey, Cap, Hulk, Iron Man, and yes even Wolverine to a degree...so don't expect to see any nudity and/or extremely gratuitous violence in any book featuring Marvel's big guns. Closest we're gonna get is probably the Noir-line..
Good point but speaking of Iron Man-he made an appearance in The Punisher video game including with Stark Towers and you might as well say that was a MAX game-extremely violent. I'll have to play the game again-never got to finish it. Here's a clip-

I finished the game, but never found the time to replay it and gain all medals and achievements.

View user profile http://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

20 Re: Marvel MAX on Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:27 pm

ChrisToPhenom


Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Tomer Soiker wrote:
I finished the game, but never found the time to replay it and gain all medals and achievements.
Awesome-I'll get it for PC or Xbox, I guess.

The Hulk...if I remember correctly, the relaunched series showed Bruce on the run and he'd shave his head, get into a fight with gangbangers, have sex with a diner's waitress-all of that good stuff. I also remember(it's been a while) some chick had a shard of glass stabbed into her neck after Hulk's rage-it was some crazy stuff.

Also, how dark was the The End series including Spider-Man: Reign?

View user profile

21 Re: Marvel MAX on Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:44 pm

Administrator


Administrator
Administrator
Spider-Man: Reign wasn't really The End nor a MAX book (MK, actually), but it was pretty dark in tone. I hated it, because the story was too cluttered and messy. I would say Kaare Andrews should stick to drawing only, but even his art in that series wasn't that good.

(I loved most of his covers to Amazing Spider-Man when JMS started his run on the book and that farewell issue/homage to Will Eisner of Wolverine by Mark Millar [well, I had the b&w version and loved it as opposed to the colored version], but other than that I'm not really a fan of Andrews' work.)

Hulk? I think you mean Brian Azzarello and Richard Corben's Startling Stories: Banner? Never bought it, but pretty much read the whole series in a book store when it was published, and it was a great alternate take on the Hulk/Banner. I loved the twisted end. But again, it wasn't under the MAX imprint.

View user profile http://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

22 Re: Marvel MAX on Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:46 pm

Administrator


Administrator
Administrator
I don't know if there's a Punisher version for the Xbox, but I played it on the PS2.

View user profile http://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

23 Re: Marvel MAX on Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:05 pm

ChrisToPhenom


Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Tomer Soiker wrote:Spider-Man: Reign wasn't really The End nor a MAX book (MK, actually), but it was pretty dark in tone. I hated it, because the story was too cluttered and messy. I would say Kaare Andrews should stick to drawing only, but even his art in that series wasn't that good.

(I loved most of his covers to Amazing Spider-Man when JMS started his run on the book and that farewell issue/homage to Will Eisner of Wolverine by Mark Millar [well, I had the b&w version and loved it as opposed to the colored version], but other than that I'm not really a fan of Andrews' work.)

Hulk? I think you mean Brian Azzarello and Richard Corben's Startling Stories: Banner? Never bought it, but pretty much read the whole series in a book store when it was published, and it was a great alternate take on the Hulk/Banner. I loved the twisted end. But again, it wasn't under the MAX imprint.

Tomer Soiker wrote:I don't know if there's a Punisher version for the Xbox, but I played it on the PS2.
I know it's not under the MAX imprint but I'm just discussing about the dark stories of Marvel's heroes that was a bit close.

Yeah, there's a version for the Xbox as well as the PS2, PC and mobile phone.

View user profile

24 Re: Marvel MAX on Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:01 am

blue halo

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Rath99 wrote:I enjoy the Max line. While Marvel will cross the line with language I can't see them doing the same with nudity. Tomer is right when he said "That's the hypocrisy of American entertainment." You can curse up a storm and slaughter an entire city of people but show a little boob and the world stops.
There was some minor boobage in the War Machine 2.0 mini (which sucked hard, btw.

View user profile

25 Re: Marvel MAX on Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:39 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Punishermax #2

Jason Aaron takes the premise of his new take Punisher MAX from last issue and turns it up a notch. Not only does Aaron and Dillon masterfully enhance the brutality that is the world of Kingpin, but also show moral character and genuiness in his motives. Perhaps calling some of these morbid scenes of murder and absolute disdane for human life genuine is reaching. Kingpin's horrific personification--through the details of his origin--is what carries this issue and having Frank behind the shadows adds even more intrigue to the mix.

I've never been huge on Steve Dillon up until this point and this series is making me a huge fan. Maybe that's because I've never read his earlier volumes of Pun with Ennis. There's just something about his deranged cartoony art that works well with alternative comics. And it's never been more disturbing than on Punisher Max.

4/5 Bags&Boards - Great

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum