The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

101 Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:54 pm

Spazzy

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
yeah Sad

View user profile http://comixbookgurl.blogspot.com/

102 Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:29 am

Aussiemandias

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
jaydee74 wrote:So. Giles dies. By Angel. And he does it the same way he killed Jenny Calendar? Really? dry

This whole series has been so bitterly disappointing to me. I've been reading since issue #1 and I've just found this final plot in particular so convoluted and kind of uninteresting quite frankly. I love these characters and yet I find myself not caring.

Also, I've said this before but with a such a large cast where telling them apart is important and also the characters looking like who they're based on also being important...I just hope they get a different artist for season 9. I'm sure Jeanty is just right for some books but I wouldn't say this is one of them - it doesn't suit his skills. I'm not even sure I'll be back for season 9 at this stage - I'm a bit disillusioned.

Last edited by Aussiemandias on Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

103 Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:51 am

jaydee74

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I've been checking out the book on and off since #1 and I actually found the whole thing underwhelming but that's just a personal opinion. More times than not, I find comics based on a television or movie franchise are never as good.

View user profile

104 Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:40 pm

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
jaydee74 wrote:So. Giles dies. By Angel. And he does it the same way he killed Jenny Calendar? Really? dry

Really? Ugh.

I dropped this book around issue 34 or so, and while I purchased them, I haven't read anything after the Fray stuff. I'll be honest, while there was some stuff I liked, the book just felt off. It didn't feel completely like the show. Honestly, I think the format hurt the book. With them being able to do pretty much anything, it let them get away from the core of what Buffy is/was. All the silly, over the top stuff was just dumb.

View user profile

105 Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:31 am

shining knight

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Did our final two geeks die too? as well as my fave character ie Giles?

View user profile

106 Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:15 am

Spazzy

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Maybe?

107 Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:57 am

Aussiemandias

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
shining knight wrote:Did our final two geeks die too? as well as my fave character ie Giles?

Spazzy wrote:Maybe?
Well I think Warren's definitely gone with no magic to hold him together.

View user profile

108 Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:43 am

Spazzy

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
True!!! But I didnt care for him so its all good

109 Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:26 pm

jaydee74

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I probably could make a separate thread for this in the movie section but wanted to put it here first. It's a petition called No Whedon, No Buffy - Boycotting WB's Buffy movie

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/no-whedon-no-buffy---boycotting-wbs-buffy-movie/

View user profile

110 Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:55 pm

Spazzy

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Nice

111 Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:53 pm

rwe1138

So, #40 happened. It was interesting. I liked Joss being candid in the afterward. He's right about Season Eight having some things that worked and others that didn't. Hopefully Season Nine will be better. Especially if they're able to add Gail Simone to the mix like they're trying. Very Happy That said, I'm welcoming the breather before it starts.

------------------------------------
Robert Eddleman
View user profile http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

112 Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:37 pm

jaydee74

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
So, how did it all end? For those that want to be in the know.

View user profile

113 Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:08 pm

rwe1138

jaydee74 wrote:So, how did it all end? For those that want to be in the know.
Spoiler:
All magic is gone, leaving Willow and others powerless. Slayers who were already activated still have powers, and vamps are still around and popular in the mainstream. (Other demons weren't addressed, but a fairy was seen at the end.) Character wise, Buffy's living in San Fran with Dawn & Xander, working as a waitress. Willow dumps Kennedy. The General is being discharged from the military, but is killed by that rogue pink-haired bank-robbing Slayer before it's done. Giles is still dead and leaves that Vampyr book from the first episode to Buffy and everything else (money, his apartment) to Faith. Buffy's upset, but Faith thinks it's because he knew she'd need help, and that Buffy's strong enough to be on her own. Faith's also taking care of a near-catatonic Angel because no one else is willing to. Spike's still hanging in his flying ship with those bugs. Buffy gets attacked by angry ex-slayers, but beats them and warns them not to do it again. Four panels hint to the future: Willow reading books, one of which features that snake chick she was allied with; a fairy flies out of a storm drain; the pink-haired Slayer has a machine gun and on her wall are three pictures, two crossed out (one of which is the General), and the other of Buffy; and a new character, some dude with John Lennon-like sunglasses, is smiling while splattered with blood. It ends with Buffy defending a girl from a vamp.

Afterward Joss talks about how Season Eight got a little away from them due to lack of budget constraints, and suffered from a disconnect from the character stuff that gave the show it's unique voice. The gives thanks to the appropriate parties and promises Season Nine will be more character based.

Robert Eddleman

114 Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:33 pm

elijahdprophet

PoP! Brewmaster
PoP! Brewmaster
The snake lady is the person I think Willow talks about being in love with. I assume not having the power to communicate with her is what lead to her feelings in the Fray crossover.

EDIT:

Also, this whole series was pretty meh, but the finale went beyond that and was just balls.

View user profile

115 Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:46 pm

jaydee74

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
rwe1138 wrote:
Spoiler:
All magic is gone, leaving Willow and others powerless. Slayers who were already activated still have powers, and vamps are still around and popular in the mainstream. (Other demons weren't addressed, but a fairy was seen at the end.) Character wise, Buffy's living in San Fran with Dawn & Xander, working as a waitress. Willow dumps Kennedy. The General is being discharged from the military, but is killed by that rogue pink-haired bank-robbing Slayer before it's done. Giles is still dead and leaves that Vampyr book from the first episode to Buffy and everything else (money, his apartment) to Faith. Buffy's upset, but Faith thinks it's because he knew she'd need help, and that Buffy's strong enough to be on her own. Faith's also taking care of a near-catatonic Angel because no one else is willing to. Spike's still hanging in his flying ship with those bugs. Buffy gets attacked by angry ex-slayers, but beats them and warns them not to do it again. Four panels hint to the future: Willow reading books, one of which features that snake chick she was allied with; a fairy flies out of a storm drain; the pink-haired Slayer has a machine gun and on her wall are three pictures, two crossed out (one of which is the General), and the other of Buffy; and a new character, some dude with John Lennon-like sunglasses, is smiling while splattered with blood. It ends with Buffy defending a girl from a vamp.

Afterward Joss talks about how Season Eight got a little away from them due to lack of budget constraints, and suffered from a disconnect from the character stuff that gave the show it's unique voice. The gives thanks to the appropriate parties and promises Season Nine will be more character based.

Nice. Thanks for that summary. Overall, it sounded okay I guess.

View user profile

116 Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:10 pm

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
rwe1138 wrote:
Spoiler:

Yeah, it did get away from that. Sometimes budget constraints can be a good thing.

Spoiler:
Why is Angel near catatonic?

View user profile

117 Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:13 pm

jaydee74

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I was wondering that as well.

View user profile

118 Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:24 pm

superdoug

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Maybe because

Spoiler:
the Seed is what made him Twilight (and uber-powered Buffy so they would cause it to grow), so he was connected to it on a level deeper than anyone knew. When Buffy destroyed the seed, the backlash was so traumatic that Angel went catatonic.

At least, I think that's how it happened. There was SO much going on in this storyline that it was hard to keep track of it. I'm glad Joss is trying to simplify it next season.

View user profile

119 Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:20 pm

Aussiemandias

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
rwe1138 wrote:
Spoiler:

My first instinct was that the dude with the Lennon glasses may have been one of those Japanese vampires.

superdoug wrote:Maybe because

Spoiler:
the Seed is what made him Twilight (and uber-powered Buffy so they would cause it to grow), so he was connected to it on a level deeper than anyone knew. When Buffy destroyed the seed, the backlash was so traumatic that Angel went catatonic.

At least, I think that's how it happened. There was SO much going on in this storyline that it was hard to keep track of it. I'm glad Joss is trying to simplify it next season.

I thought it may have just been the gravity of what he has done, including what happened to Giles, weighing down on him but that also seems like a reasonable explanation.

This season has been a bit of a disaster in my view but that's not to say there weren't times during Season 8 where I enjoyed it however I think they were all too few. As is said above, I also really appreciated that Joss recognised that there were things that didn't work - I don't know that a lot of creators would be open to admitting that kind of thing. I need to think long and hard before picking up Season 9 but if the focus is going to be the kind of things Joss talks about then I'm definitely interested.

I actually liked this final issue (by no means did I like the overall storyline that got us here though) and it seems to me that it was a bit of a taste of how things are going to be in Season 9 - more focussed and revolving around Buffy and more focussed on lower level, more personal stories.

One thing I can't agree with Joss on is the art - the fact that Jeanty doesn't get the likenesses down isn't the main thing that annoys me, it's the fact that so many characters look alike. I'm sure I'm not the only one who many times over this series has had to stop and say "wait, now who is this?" and it's taken a while to figure it out.

My thoughts now are that I'm glad it's over. Still not 100% on picking up on Season 9 but it sounds like Joss is prepared to go in a direction that sounds a hell of an improvement on Season 8.

View user profile

120 Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:05 pm

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
superdoug wrote:Maybe because

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
What is the Seed?

View user profile

121 Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:36 pm

rwe1138

Batman25JM wrote:
Spoiler:
What is the Seed?
The heart and source of magic in the Buffyverse.

Robert Eddleman

122 Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:54 pm

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
^Okay. Thanks.

View user profile

123 Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:57 pm

Spazzy

Zombie Ninja