Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Blackest Night: Wonder Woman

+11
jaydee74
Sandman
Aussiemandias
LOOSECANNON
Batman25JM
shining knight
Debaser77
Rath99
LordD3r3k
Bigtymin504
rwe1138
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Empty Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:05 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

Pretty good start to the mini. I love whenever Rucka writes Diana, and Nicola's pencils were gorgeous.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

2Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:39 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

rwe1138 wrote:Pretty good start to the mini. I love whenever Rucka writes Diana, and Nicola's pencils were gorgeous.

Yeah Nicola's art was great. The story itself seems like more of the same we got from the first batch of BN minis though. Hopefully in the next two issues they touch on what happened to Diana at the end of BN #5, cuz more pointless fighting with BL Max Lord will be such a drag.

Also, I was kinda surprised they actually had soldiers from Arlington National Cemetery come back as Black Lanterns, then turn them to ash... neutral

3Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:49 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

rwe1138 wrote:Pretty good start to the mini. I love whenever Rucka writes Diana, and Nicola's pencils were gorgeous.

Agreed, good start so far. I loved Diana's no-nonsense attitude. There was no squabbling when they first met, she just chops his head off! Laughing love it.

4Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:59 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:

Agreed, good start so far. I loved Diana's no-nonsense attitude. There was no squabbling when they first met, she just chops his head off! Laughing love it.

Hey man! Hope you had a good Thanksgiving! Smile

And yeah, that part was awesome! Laughing

5Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:38 am

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Hey man! Hope you had a good Thanksgiving! Smile

Thanks man, hope yours went well also!

I'm so far behind on my comic reading that I've been afraid to come here so not to read any spoilers afro

6Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:00 am

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Love the cover art. Greg Horn's new style is great. Is WW on her way to joining Star Sapphire and her corps?

7Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:08 am

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Rath99 wrote:Love the cover art. Greg Horn's new style is great. Is WW on her way to joining Star Sapphire and her corps?

Not if Nekron has anything to say about it Wink

And yeah, great cover

8Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:39 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:Hey man! Hope you had a good Thanksgiving! Smile

Thanks man, hope yours went well also!

I'm so far behind on my comic reading that I've been afraid to come here so not to read any spoilers afro

Smart move. happy

9Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:09 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

Review is up on the main site.

http://panelsonpages.com/?p=15509

10Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:15 pm

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

hold up I may not be much of a ww fan but her lasso doesn't work like that surely?

11Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:19 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I thought the first issue was okay, but nothing special. I definitely didn't enjoy it as much as BN: Flash #1, but it was still solid.

LOVED the cover, it was fantastic.

The interior art was very nice as well. I can see why Nicola Scott has so many fans. Although, the shot of Diana cutting off Max's head seemed off to me. Diana wasn't looking where I thought she should be and she had a vacant star that seemed wrong. Other than that the art was great.

12Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:05 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Blackest Night: Wonder Woman #1

The quickest read of any Blackest Night tie-in just happens to be it's finest. Sure, it only takes 5 or so minutes to go through, and we get more of the same "revenge battles" that the other tie-in books implored.

But that art! There's absolutely no reason why Nicola Scott shouldn't be drawing Wonder Woman full time. I know she's already on Gail Simone's other (awesome) book Secret Six, but Wonder Woman is a supposed flagship character and having the absolute best art necessary could give the underappreciated super lady a boost. And not that Aaron Lopresti's art isn't superb in it's own right, it's just that change is good.

I won't fail to mention that Greg Rucka does quite the bang-up job here as well. His run on Wonder Woman was known as controversial, taking Diana to places no other writer dared. He doesn't quite go that in-depth with the character and her current life happenings in this ish, and he doesn't need to. Rucka merely pits her against her own worst enemy and she succeeds. I'm not talking about the battle between her and Maxwell Lord; I'm talking about her and her emotions. There's actually quite a bit of character growth in what should be nothing more than a typical tie-in.

BN: WW #1 is a perfectly fine standalone issue that doesn't advance the whole saga that is Blackest Night, but will please the eyes with gorgeous art and a deadly battle between Wonder Woman and her worst nightmares.

4/5 Burning Lassos - Excellent

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

13Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:17 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:I thought the first issue was okay, but nothing special.
That was my take too. Pretty run of the mill stuff. I'm a big fan of Greg Rucka but I don't think this was his most inspired work. Bring on next issue and the BL Wonder Woman.

The art, though, was excellent. I think Nicola Scott draws a great WW - she really looks powerful. Great stuff from my fellow Aussie.

14Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:06 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

#2 was gorgeous, but I really didn't care for the writing. The ring constantly interrupting her thoughts got annoying quick. And the whole "figment" thing was kinda lame. Hopefully #3 will be better.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

15Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:08 am

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

#2 seemed kind of superfluous after reading BN # 6, but it was cool seeing BL Diana's inner conflict. Scott's art was fantastic, as always.

I agree that the "figment" was kinda lame.

16Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:23 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I thought issue #2 was completely and utterly pointless. Really, everything we saw could've been done in a few panels (and it was in BN #6). Hell, half of the issue wasn't even real. I HATE THAT!! I was disappointed in issue #1, but this one disappointed me even more. So far this is by far my least favorite of the BN tie in minis.

I am wondering exactly when this was taking place. I went back and looked at BN #6 and I just don't see exactly when this was able to take place.

17Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:47 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Agreed with the comments above...like scratch And this series seems more along the lines of "gap-filling" one-shots rather than an actual mini with a cohesive story. Overall not very good IMO.

As great as the Blackest Night main book and GL tie-ins have been (for the most part), I think the minis and other tie-ins have been mediocre at best and crappy at worst.

18Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:13 pm

Sandman

Sandman
Ninja
Ninja

I actually thought it was kind of important. first off we know now that the super heroes that have come back before are not all "dead" ...again. they have their own thoughts and feelings that CAN break thru the black rings influence. that and of course the black rings can be destroyed by wearing another ring. (which we got from #6 anyway) I do not think the "resurected" heroes are true black lanterns

19Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:41 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:I thought issue #2 was completely and utterly pointless. Really, everything we saw could've been done in a few panels (and it was in BN #6). Hell, half of the issue wasn't even real. I HATE THAT!! I was disappointed in issue #1, but this one disappointed me even more. So far this is by far my least favorite of the BN tie in minis.

I am wondering exactly when this was taking place. I went back and looked at BN #6 and I just don't see exactly when this was able to take place.

Bigtymin504 wrote:^Agreed with the comments above...like scratch And this series seems more along the lines of "gap-filling" one-shots rather than an actual mini with a cohesive story. Overall not very good IMO.

As great as the Blackest Night main book and GL tie-ins have been (for the most part), I think the minis and other tie-ins have been mediocre at best and crappy at worst.
I'm with you guys. I get the distinct feeling we're being milked with this mini. Hopefully #3 redeems it.

20Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:26 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

BN: WW #2

Love or hate issue. In spirits of the issue's story and as far as it's reception from fans. Many either find this book totally irrelevant, in that it's a dream sequence, a quick read, among other things. I'll admit, the art is a notch below the efforts in BN: WW #1. Where the issue breaks ground is this: it's the point of view from a Black Lantern "herself." It's the inner turmoil and struggle from the Black Ring-controlled hero.

Yes, the last page might kill it. Kill the fact there were some very deep and thrilling kills here. To imagine an event tie-in having this much impact? Too good to be true to be honest with you. Does it help clear up some explanations from BN #6? Yes. Does it give us an original take on BN and show that Rucka isn't afraid to flip the switch from the angle the debut presented? Yes. It's just that maybe we wish these things actually happened, even though "the kiss" might some day come into fruition.

3.5/5 - Another excellent Wonder Woman tie-in with some pretty intriguing revelations and sequences. Just wish this issue "happened."

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

21Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:25 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:I thought issue #2 was completely and utterly pointless. Really, everything we saw could've been done in a few panels (and it was in BN #6). Hell, half of the issue wasn't even real. I HATE THAT!! I was disappointed in issue #1, but this one disappointed me even more. So far this is by far my least favorite of the BN tie in minis.

Agreed. I hate stories that really only happened it the main character's mind. When I read it a second time to see if I missed anything, the various impact points were just not as compelling as the were the second time around. Two issues in and so far this mini isn't doing it for me at all.

22Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:41 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

Personally I enjoyed this issue a ton.

It was nice to see Rucka touching back on several points from his run with WW, like her getting her powers from Aphrodite, hence her mentality and being chosen as as Star Saphire.

I can understand that people didn't like that most of the issue didn't actually occur, but took place in WW's head, but I thought it was a fairly logical thing for Aphrodite to do and I thought her explanation as to why she did it was pretty spot on in my mind as far as WW's character goes, she may not really know her place in the world, and probably never will as she continues to stand in two different worlds, but that doesn't stop her from loving it and wanting to protect it.

As a WW fan I guess this issue was mostly tailored to people like me with some fun references that haven't really been touched on in quite a while, hence me liking it.

23Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:48 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'd forgotten about Diana getting her powers from Aphrodite. I was fairly certain that, originally, she got her powers from all the Greek goddesses. (Wisdom from Athena, Beauty from Aphrodite, Strength from Artemis, etc.) But, if her patron is Aphrodite, then it makes sense that the Star Sapphire would seek her out.

Man...first Galatea, then Diana...Aphrodite sure likes to bring statues to life to appease people! Laughing

24Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:15 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

Yep, Infinite Crisis put her powers and origin more inline with the Silver Age WW, which is the Aphrodite powered version as opposed to Pantheon Powered version, frickin Prime Punch, lol.

25Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:18 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I dunno. It would make more sense to have her powers come from all the goddesses. That makes sense for an Amazon, in my head.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum