Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

POP! Reads

+4
comicgeekelly
Administrator
Denim
flux336
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:37 pm

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

Thanks for the link Blue.

27POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:18 am

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

We have our book for March:
POP! Reads - Page 2 Gl_secret_origin

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

28POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:28 am

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

Unfortunately, my library doesn't have this trade yet. Sad However, the show must go on! What's the word on this story?

29POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:53 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'll have to reread this over this month, but I think that this is a good choice to have as book of the month because it's so easy to get into. It's an origin story, but it still feels seeded in the Green Lantern stories of today.

30POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:45 pm

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

Has anyone picked up our Book of the Month?

31POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:09 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Oh, damnit. My bro was literally just over here and I didn't ask him if he had it, let alone to borrow. lame

32POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:33 am

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

Where are all the GL fans?

33POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:09 pm

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

Did anyone get a chance to read the book?

34POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:17 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ I feel so guilty to have not read this yet. I really like the book club thing and don't wanna see it fizzle like this.

flux336 wrote:Where are all the GL fans?
Very good point. They were everywhere for months...and technically still here. Wink

35POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:54 pm

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

^Laughing

36POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Tue May 18, 2010 4:41 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

SPOILERS FOR CHEW VOL.1: TASTER'S CHOICE!

POP! Reads - Page 2 Normal_chew-vol_-1--tasters-choice-tp

Finished it. Adored it. That's right, "adored." Just comically weird, CSI craziness. With absurd conspiracies and odd yet likeable characters.

Agent Chu's powers I think may be the result of why the chicken poultry may have become illegal. I'm thinking that the government, or whomever, fears Chu and other possible cibopaths ("chee-boh-path"). Although, it makes more sense to call them clairgustants...well, I think digestion has to do with it. Nevermind. Anyways, whomever made up the bird flu thingy to be able and hide whatever they were hiding. (Wait...why was it just chickens? We eat other...birds. don't know Maybe that'll get explained in the next volume.) I'm wondering what Tony Chu's brother, Chow, was beginning to discover the mystery behind it all, rather than just being in the wrong black market business of smuggling chicken and involving himself with the Yakuza.

Savoy as this big, jolly yet badass Frazier type guy, who also shares the ability of clairvoyance via edibles, was such a great, unorthodox character to have doing what he's doing. Other than then the eating of strange things. Kinda figured that he wasn't being solid from the start.

And last, but certainly not least, Amelia Mintz. As soon as I heard her ability of...forget what it was called, uncanny ability to write/speak details of tastes that people would actually be able to taste them, I knew she was a perfect match for Chu and his inability to enjoy eating without getting flashes. Well, he can eat beets. Wonder why? I also wonder what "vegetable" was in that box that made her leave with that creepy stranger that wanted to see her before the terrorists craziness.

Should read this. Highly recommended.

37POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Mon May 24, 2010 10:17 pm

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

^Sounds interesting, Blue

38POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:00 pm

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

I finally got my hands on a copy of Chew. So, ***SPOILERS AHEAD*** and all that.

So, I like Savoy, but yeah, something was off about him. Savoy had a sinister quality to him from the beginning of the book. I like how they set him up as an arch-rival/nemesis for Tony. Very interested in seeing where they'll go with him.

Amelia is a saboscrivner. Is Layman just inventing this stuff or what? Never heard of such a person or ability. I've come across the idea of pyschics being able to taste or ingest things to stimulate flashes though. I didn't think the weird fruit guy was with Amelia, I thought he was still stalking her. I mean, her body/attention is turned away from him. It didn't seem like they were together. Can someone else throw in their two cents on this one?

My one big grip about the book is the art. The characters dimensions are disproportionate and distorted. I find it distracting and off-putting. It really interfered with flow of the story.

I was really surprised by this series. The story headed in a direction I did not expect. I'm interested in the what comes next, but still not crazy about the art.

39POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:22 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Cool, you read it!

The creep with the vegetable was on the plane with her. In the crowd pic, during the last ish, he is seen showing her the vegetable and her having a spark of interest. Transition later to them on the plane. Totally left together.

I like the art. It's funky. Like Sam Kieth's or Humberto Ramos'.

40POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:24 am

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

Go make a suggestion!
September Suggestions

41POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:13 am

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

42POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:22 am

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

Alright, any thoughts on Criminal?

October poll is up!

43POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:50 am

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bad Night is my second favorite volume of Criminal (Coward is my favorite). It is their most experimental volume for sure. Brubaker throws in a lot of twists that I didn't see coming my first read through and I think that it is also some of Sean Phillips best work.

Did anybody else read this?

44POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:32 pm

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

November Poll

Check it out and vote!

45POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:03 am

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

So, should we continue the book club? Response seems pretty low...

46POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:29 am

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

Here's our reading list:

February: Anansi Boys
March: Serenity: Those Left Behind
April: The Sandman: Book of Dreams
May: The Walking Dead vol. 1
June: Last Days of Krypton
July: Wonder Woman: Contagion