Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ask a Gay Guy!

+55
kerryart
Sapphire Gypsy
WonderWoman2.0
CherriesJubilee
C's Lady
colossus1979
Denim
Heytherejeffro
Tom
kidspider2099
melvinlikechris
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Bigtymin504
ChrisToPhenom
Gojiratoho
Foxy
Administrator
Tripper McGee
TENIME_art
Rath99
JessJupiter
Lord PaulVincent
Batman25JM
The_Donster
Lewis Black is Sabertooth
Dr. Jonathan Crane
supervenom
Time Consumer
CaelynTek
BlueMaxx
Airwolf
J Nova
Thundermatts
hrdwrkngXsoldier
Gandicles
riv1
Janson
Justin
Ska
Mnemosis
Lantern Lite
shining knight
Big PUN
krpykrwly
Metal Misfit
Astro13Zombie
Topcat
FroZen
Esbat
Chi-Town Spidey
Splitty
Lee
Silent K
Joshua
superdoug
59 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21 ... 28  Next

Go down  Message [Page 14 of 28]

326Ask a Gay Guy! - Page 14 Empty Re: Ask a Gay Guy! Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:18 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The_Donster wrote: It's a frustrating situation and find it's sometimes easier just using his myspace to talk to him. Althought that sometimes backfires, since he has the attention span of a gnat. Anyway, appreciate the advice and will take a look at that site...thanks.

Y'know, just having a chat over pizza may go a long way to helping you understand what he's going through right now. It doesn't have to be anything formal; just a little time spent. This will help to show him that you're willing to make time for him at this important time of his life and also help eliminate the distractions of IMs and dirty pictures on the interwebz.

If it's not too personal, please do keep me updated; I've never had the parents' point of view on this subject, although I've seen many a reaction.

327Ask a Gay Guy! - Page 14 Empty Re: Ask a Gay Guy! Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:58 am

The_Donster

The_Donster
Pirate
Pirate

Will do and thanks Smile

328Ask a Gay Guy! - Page 14 Empty Re: Ask a Gay Guy! Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:59 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I don't know if this question has been asked or not (I've only had time to read through the first 4 pages so far), so if it has I'm sorry.

Do gay guys ever have conversations about (celebrity) women they would sleep with if they were straight? I know that sometimes straight men will talk about the celebrity men they'd sleep with if they were gay and I wondered if gay men did something similar.

329Ask a Gay Guy! - Page 14 Empty Re: Ask a Gay Guy! Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:43 pm

Lee

Lee
Administrator
Administrator

Your Royal Dougness!

Have you seen this? If so, what do you think? It strikes me as a fine IDEA, but one that's all but useless given the target audience. The Penny Arcade strip that turned me on to it sums it up pretty well, I think.

Ask a Gay Guy! - Page 14 20090817

http://www.leerodriguez.net

330Ask a Gay Guy! - Page 14 Empty Re: Ask a Gay Guy! Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:02 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

I think I've said this before, but after reading the exchange between Doug and the Donster, I'd just like to thank you, Doug, for bringing this feature to our forums. I think you're doing something really great here, and I'm just glad that we were able to provide you a venue through which to do it. Now that the serious stuff is out of the way...

Gandicles wrote:I live just down the street from Camp Pendleton's Back Gate, and frequently hang out downtown, where a shit-ton of the Marines hang out.

Ok, does anyone ELSE think that sounds like a very special kind of bar?

331Ask a Gay Guy! - Page 14 Empty Re: Ask a Gay Guy! Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:30 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:I don't know if this question has been asked or not (I've only had time to read through the first 4 pages so far), so if it has I'm sorry.

Do gay guys ever have conversations about (celebrity) women they would sleep with if they were straight? I know that sometimes straight men will talk about the celebrity men they'd sleep with if they were gay and I wondered if gay men did something similar.

Depends on the gay guy, to be honest. Some do, some don't.

I tend to believe that Kinsey was right, and only a small percentage of the population is exclusively gay or straight. The rest fall somewhere in the middle, and it's only a question of where your boundaries lay. While I don't lay around fantasizing about celebrity women, there are a few that I find attractive enough to consider as a bed partner. However, my crashing sense of reality tells me that the odds of that happening are about the same as Nathan Fillion showing up naked and horny on my doorstep.

hmm

Excuse me. I need a couple of minutes....

332Ask a Gay Guy! - Page 14 Empty Re: Ask a Gay Guy! Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:32 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

Well, thank god. For a second, I was worried we'd gotten classy. Laughing

333Ask a Gay Guy! - Page 14 Empty Re: Ask a Gay Guy! Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:34 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Lee wrote:Your Royal Dougness!

Have you seen this? If so, what do you think? It strikes me as a fine IDEA, but one that's all but useless given the target audience. The Penny Arcade strip that turned me on to it sums it up pretty well, I think.

I'm...uncertain as to how to respond to that. Like you, I think it's a fine idea. On the one hand, the strip made me laugh out loud with the way they illustrated the point. On the other hand, asking people on the internet to think before they speak is like whispering instructions into a tornado.

That being said, I would prefer it if the gay and gay-friendly would speak up when they hear shit like that. "So, what exactly is gay about that? How does it connotate homosexuality to you? And how are you such an expert on homosexuality, anyway? Is there something you're wanting to come clean about?"

I imagine it would lead to a lot of black eyes, but a few more open minds.

334Ask a Gay Guy! - Page 14 Empty Re: Ask a Gay Guy! Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:37 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Mnemosis wrote:I think I've said this before, but after reading the exchange between Doug and the Donster, I'd just like to thank you, Doug, for bringing this feature to our forums. I think you're doing something really great here, and I'm just glad that we were able to provide you a venue through which to do it. Now that the serious stuff is out of the way...

Gandicles wrote:I live just down the street from Camp Pendleton's Back Gate, and frequently hang out downtown, where a shit-ton of the Marines hang out.

Ok, does anyone ELSE think that sounds like a very special kind of bar?

I just think that a lot of the stigma about gays can be alleviated with frank, open dialogue. Any question asked in honesty deserves an honest answer. I wish the best for Don and his son, and I hope that this important step in his son's life opens a door for more honest and open dialogue between them, and I hope that PFLAG provides Don with the kind of 'been there' support he needs right now.

Okay. Back to the real Doug.

I would -totally- go to that bar, but only at the end of the night. Wink

335Ask a Gay Guy! - Page 14 Empty Re: Ask a Gay Guy! Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:08 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

Ahhhh... battin' clean up?

336Ask a Gay Guy! - Page 14 Empty Re: Ask a Gay Guy! Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:12 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

superdoug wrote:I'm...uncertain as to how to respond to that. Like you, I think it's a fine idea. On the one hand, the strip made me laugh out loud with the way they illustrated the point. On the other hand, asking people on the internet to think before they speak is like whispering instructions into a tornado.

That being said, I would prefer it if the gay and gay-friendly would speak up when they hear shit like that. "So, what exactly is gay about that? How does it connotate homosexuality to you? And how are you such an expert on homosexuality, anyway? Is there something you're wanting to come clean about?"

I imagine it would lead to a lot of black eyes, but a few more open minds.

To me, the problem is all about linguistics.

1) "That is so queer" is actually a correct phrase while "that is so gay" isn't. Queer was originally meant to denote something that is "off" and was then applied to homosexuality. Calling something queer because it doesn't make sense is technically correct, but now has a whole new connotation.

2) "Stop being gay" if a friend is actually acting in a pseudo-gay way is also correct. "Stop being gay" if a friend is just being a jerk, however, is not.

I think as a result of these two circumstances, it has become a semi common practice to refer to dumb/annoying/bothersome things as "being gay" despite the fact that it is completely queer to do so.

337Ask a Gay Guy! - Page 14 Empty Re: Ask a Gay Guy! Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:17 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I appreciate when people say, "that's so gay" when referring to something that isn't homosexual in nature because it's letting me know well in advance that person is an idiot and I should avoid them.

338Ask a Gay Guy! - Page 14 Empty Re: Ask a Gay Guy! Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:35 pm

Lord PaulVincent

Lord PaulVincent
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Oh my god, I love that this thread exists!

http://www.therobotspajamas.com

339Ask a Gay Guy! - Page 14 Empty Re: Ask a Gay Guy! Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:00 pm

JessJupiter

JessJupiter
Pirate
Pirate

First off, amazing thread.

Lee wrote:

I know I'm new and all and my opinion isn't really significant, but I feel like this issue is something based on culture. Although the teenage generation is one of more open mindedness and acceptance, there's still a large part of society putting pressure on them to give a stigma to homosexuality.

I feel like the semantics of this younger generation aren't going to change by a few commercials featuring Hilary Duff. I also feel like there's a huge misstep going on in this campaign.

They're focusing too much on the word "gay" and not enough on the fact that there's still a negative connotation. You're changing the flavor, not the fact that its ice cream. By having people just exchange one insult/negative term for another, its only reinforcing the behavior that its alright to insult people/actions/things.

In my opinion, I'd want a bigger focus on a more positive outlook rather than a change in semantics.

http://www.jessjupiter.webs.com

340Ask a Gay Guy! - Page 14 Empty Re: Ask a Gay Guy! Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:21 pm

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

JessJupiter wrote:
In my opinion, I'd want a bigger focus on a more positive outlook rather than a change in semantics.

^ This.

I've been reticent in regards to weighing in on the whole "That's gay" or the use of "Fag" as an off the cuff remark...only because I'm guilty of doing both. I'm definitely not one to think gay is icky, and love my gay and lesbian brothers and sisters, but that doesn't mean I don't get a kick out of using the F word as a jibe/term of endearment.

Of course, I would never purposely or openly use the word in a setting where I'd think someone might not take kindly to its use. Like at The Manhole. Or an Indigo Girls concert.

341Ask a Gay Guy! - Page 14 Empty Re: Ask a Gay Guy! Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:26 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ unsure ...gay means happy. And fa- means cigarette. If you're a Redcoat. neutral happy

342Ask a Gay Guy! - Page 14 Empty Re: Ask a Gay Guy! Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:27 am

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

JessJupiter wrote:First off, amazing thread.
I know I'm new and all and my opinion isn't really significant, but I feel like this issue is something based on culture. Although the teenage generation is one of more open mindedness and acceptance, there's still a large part of society putting pressure on them to give a stigma to homosexuality.

I feel like the semantics of this younger generation aren't going to change by a few commercials featuring Hilary Duff. I also feel like there's a huge misstep going on in this campaign.

They're focusing too much on the word "gay" and not enough on the fact that there's still a negative connotation. You're changing the flavor, not the fact that its ice cream. By having people just exchange one insult/negative term for another, its only reinforcing the behavior that its alright to insult people/actions/things.

Welcome, Jess! Everyone's opinion is welcome, here. Don't worry about sounding off with your input; this is a warm and safe place. Smile

And, I actually agree with you. I don't think it's ever going to go away as an insult, per se. I think it's a matter of getting people to think about what they're saying and how it affects those around them.

Like, I don't think less of Knize for using the F word with his friends, because I know he's the kind of guy who wouldn't do that in mixed company.

343Ask a Gay Guy! - Page 14 Empty Re: Ask a Gay Guy! Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:27 am

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

BlueMaxx wrote:^ unsure ...gay means happy. And fa- means cigarette. If you're a Redcoat. neutral happy

You're a cigarette.

344Ask a Gay Guy! - Page 14 Empty Re: Ask a Gay Guy! Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:29 am

Astro13Zombie

Astro13Zombie
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

superdoug wrote:
BlueMaxx wrote:^ unsure ...gay means happy. And fa- means cigarette. If you're a Redcoat. neutral happy

You're a cigarette.
Laughing

345Ask a Gay Guy! - Page 14 Empty Re: Ask a Gay Guy! Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:42 am

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

superdoug wrote:
Like, I don't think less of Knize for using the F word with his friends, because I know he's the kind of guy who wouldn't do that in mixed company.

Thank you, Doug.

But that doesn't say how much you thought of me prior. tongue

346Ask a Gay Guy! - Page 14 Empty Re: Ask a Gay Guy! Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:39 am

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Silent K wrote:
superdoug wrote:

Thank you, Doug.

But that doesn't say how much you thought of me prior. tongue

K, I would totally let you bear hug me at the end of a long day of walking the convention floor. Wink

347Ask a Gay Guy! - Page 14 Empty Re: Ask a Gay Guy! Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:44 am

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

Rad.

348Ask a Gay Guy! - Page 14 Empty Re: Ask a Gay Guy! Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:54 am

JessJupiter

JessJupiter
Pirate
Pirate

Haha, hugs all around! Smile

http://www.jessjupiter.webs.com

349Ask a Gay Guy! - Page 14 Empty Re: Ask a Gay Guy! Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:16 am

The_Donster

The_Donster
Pirate
Pirate

Hey Doug, planned to take your advice, but haven't heard from my son in quite some time. I've tried calling him and his brother to let them know about their little brother and all the phone does is ring. His birthday is coming up though and I'll be doing the Mr. Mom here soon, so I might be able to get ahold of them during that time. Anyway, I appreciate the advice and didn't mean to bring the thread down. It was just something I was having a hard time with and was actually surprised at my reaction to the situation. Like I told a friend of mine the other day, I've always known he was gay. Knowing and it being confirmed though, is 2 different animals though. Thanks again, glad to see the thread continued after my after school special was over Wink

350Ask a Gay Guy! - Page 14 Empty Re: Ask a Gay Guy! Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:56 am

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

Dude... what do you mean bringing this thread down? This is kind of sort of the whole point of this thread. Sure, we get silly, but... the thread IS called "Ask a Gay Guy!"

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 14 of 28]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21 ... 28  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum