Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

J.D. Salinger Dies At 91

+8
CherriesJubilee
Tom
Rath99
elijahdprophet
melvinlikechris
Thundermatts
Goof
Administrator
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Empty J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:19 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1957492,00.html?iid=tsmodule

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

2J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Empty Re: J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:44 pm

Goof

Goof
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I bought The Catcher in the Rye for my nephew last christmas! I think he uses it to hold up the short leg of his wobbly dresser. Sad news for all of us who had to read him in high school. Sad

3J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Empty Re: J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:04 pm

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This sucks. Holden Caulfield has been my favorite fictional character ever since I first read The Catcher in the Rye when I was ten or so.

4J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Empty Re: J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:10 pm

melvinlikechris

melvinlikechris
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

That sucks, I'm actually reading 'Catcher in the Rye' at the moment, its pretty good

5J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Empty Re: J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:18 pm

elijahdprophet

elijahdprophet
PoP! Brewmaster
PoP! Brewmaster

I always read Catcher.. while cleaning my guns. Sometimes Holden talks to me, and tels me to do things...

6J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Empty Re: J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:30 pm

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Catcher in the Rye was the first book I read in school that I actually enjoyed reading. I've read it 10 times since then. Love the book. Glad that a movie was never made of it.

7J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Empty Re: J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:44 pm

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

You better get ready for a movie now that he's dead. I'm not sure what kind of family he has that the rights to that book will fall into the hands of, but Hollywood has been throwing millions at him for a long time to get the rights, and I'm guessing whoever they throw cash at now is going to say yes. All we can hope for is that whoever writes it and whoever directs it are fans of the novel and treat it well. But I'm guessing it will be set in present day and star Zach Efron.

8J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Empty Re: J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:57 pm

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

It will suck!

9J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Empty Re: J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:20 pm

Tom

Tom
Ninja
Ninja

I'll have to hit up the library and see if they have any.
I'm sure if they did have any, people have taken them all out.

I read it in school, and hated it along with everything else I was forced to read.
I want to give it an honest try this time.

10J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Empty Re: J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:03 pm

CherriesJubilee

CherriesJubilee
Pirate
Pirate

Please - NO movie!!! They will destroy one of literature's most individualistic charachers.

11J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Empty Re: J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:14 pm

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

RIP J.D.
anyone know that he was a writer for Marvel Comics for a short time as "Writer X" for The Brotherhood series that got scrapped because of 9/11? also who is Haulen Callfield from Catcher in the Rye? i've heard his name in Quagmire's rant to Brian as to why he hated Brian.

12J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Empty Re: J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:41 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Sad.

Note to self: Buy and finally read Catcher in the Rye.

13J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Empty Re: J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:46 pm

Ben Akers

Ben Akers
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Spider_Fan14 wrote:also who is Haulen Callfield from Catcher in the Rye? i've heard his name in Quagmire's rant to Brian as to why he hated Brian.

I believe you mean Holden Caulfield.

He is the main character of the novel....and one of literature's greatest characters, period.

14J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Empty Re: J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:01 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spider_Fan14 wrote:RIP J.D.
anyone know that he was a writer for Marvel Comics for a short time as "Writer X" for The Brotherhood series that got scrapped because of 9/11? also who is Haulen Callfield from Catcher in the Rye? i've heard his name in Quagmire's rant to Brian as to why he hated Brian.
Glen Quagmire: "You wanna maybe just go?"
Brian Griffin: "Quagmire, come on. I'm really trying hard here."
Glen Quagmire: "Who asked you to try hard?"
Brian Griffin: "Nobody, but I'm trying to establish a friendship with you. All I've done is try to be nice to you and you still don't like me. How can you not like me?"
Glen Quagmire: "...Okay, I'll tell ya. You are the worst person I know. You constantly hit on your best friend's wife, the man pays for your food and rescued you from certain death and this is how you repay him? And to add insult to injury, you defecate all over his yard. And you're such a sponge. You pay for nothing, you always say "Oh, I'll get you later" but later never comes. And what really bothers me, is you pretend you're this deep guy who loves women for their souls, when all you do is date bimbos. Yeah, I date women for their bodies but at least I'm honest about it. I don't buy them a copy of Catcher in the Rye and then lecture them with some seventh grade interruption of how Holden Caulfield is some profound intellectual. He wasn't! He was a spoiled brat! And that's why you like him so much, he's you! God, you're pretentious! And you delude yourself by thinking you're some great writer even though you're terrible. You know, I should had known You know, I should have known Cheryl Tiegs didn't write me that note. She would have known there's no "a" in the word "definite." And I think what I hate most about you is your textbook liberal agenda, how we should "legalize pot, man," how big business is crushing the underclass, how homelessness is the biggest tragedy in America. Well, what have you done to help? I work down at the soup kitchen, Brian. Never seen you down there! You wanna help? Grab a ladle! And by the way, driving a Prius doesn't make you Jesus Christ! Oh, wait! You don't believe in Jesus Christ or any religion for that matter, because "religion is for idiots!" Well, who the hell are you to talk down to anyone? You failed college twice, which isn't nearly as bad as your failure as a father! How's that son of yours you never see? But you know what? I could forgive all of that, all of it, if you weren't such a bore! That's the worst of it, Brian. You're just a big, sad, alcoholic bore."
[sighs]
Glen Quagmire: "Well, see ya, Brian! Thanks for the f***ing steak!"

15J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Empty Re: J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:19 pm

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ben Akers wrote:
Spider_Fan14 wrote:also who is Haulen Callfield from Catcher in the Rye? i've heard his name in Quagmire's rant to Brian as to why he hated Brian.

I believe you mean Holden Caulfield.

He is the main character of the novel....and one of literature's greatest characters, period.
really? never figured guess i'll just have to read it to share that viewpoint or not.

BlueMaxx wrote:
Spider_Fan14 wrote:RIP J.D.
Glen Quagmire: "You wanna maybe just go?"
Brian Griffin: "Quagmire, come on. I'm really trying hard here."
Glen Quagmire: "Who asked you to try hard?"
Brian Griffin: "Nobody, but I'm trying to establish a friendship with you. All I've done is try to be nice to you and you still don't like me. How can you not like me?"
Glen Quagmire: "...Okay, I'll tell ya. You are the worst person I know. You constantly hit on your best friend's wife, the man pays for your food and rescued you from certain death and this is how you repay him? And to add insult to injury, you defecate all over his yard. And you're such a sponge. You pay for nothing, you always say "Oh, I'll get you later" but later never comes. And what really bothers me, is you pretend you're this deep guy who loves women for their souls, when all you do is date bimbos. Yeah, I date women for their bodies but at least I'm honest about it. I don't buy them a copy of Catcher in the Rye and then lecture them with some seventh grade interruption of how Holden Caulfield is some profound intellectual. He wasn't! He was a spoiled brat! And that's why you like him so much, he's you! God, you're pretentious! And you delude yourself by thinking you're some great writer even though you're terrible. You know, I should had known You know, I should have known Cheryl Tiegs didn't write me that note. She would have known there's no "a" in the word "definite." And I think what I hate most about you is your textbook liberal agenda, how we should "legalize pot, man," how big business is crushing the underclass, how homelessness is the biggest tragedy in America. Well, what have you done to help? I work down at the soup kitchen, Brian. Never seen you down there! You wanna help? Grab a ladle! And by the way, driving a Prius doesn't make you Jesus Christ! Oh, wait! You don't believe in Jesus Christ or any religion for that matter, because "religion is for idiots!" Well, who the hell are you to talk down to anyone? You failed college twice, which isn't nearly as bad as your failure as a father! How's that son of yours you never see? But you know what? I could forgive all of that, all of it, if you weren't such a bore! That's the worst of it, Brian. You're just a big, sad, alcoholic bore."
[sighs]
Glen Quagmire: "Well, see ya, Brian! Thanks for the f***ing steak!"
king one of my all time favorite bits of Family Guy.

16J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Empty Re: J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:54 pm

Off_White_Lantern

Off_White_Lantern
Pirate
Pirate

I never like Catcher in the Rye much but his short stories were good. I cant get into a story about a spoiled kid that blows everyday issues out of proportion. I thought JD Salinger died like 30 years ago lmao.

17J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Empty Re: J.D. Salinger Dies At 91 Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:55 pm

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

OK i'm making good on my promise and i'm on chapter 9 of the book so far. I'm digging it for the memoir-ish style of writing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum