Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Revisiting Old Friends

+17
Spazzy
ravezombie
Sandman
Kelson
The Ignored One
Fresh03
elijahdprophet
superdoug
kidspider2099
tstrike99
TENIME_art
BlueMaxx
melvinlikechris
Thundermatts
MikeSabian
Esbat
flux336
21 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Revisiting Old Friends Empty Revisiting Old Friends Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:52 am

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

I'm re-reading Lord of the Rings right now and it got me to thinking about other novels that I find myself re-reading constantly.

I'm enjoying LOTR immensely right now. It's been about 8 years since I last re-read it. So things are familiar, yet rather new as well.

2Revisiting Old Friends Empty Re: Revisiting Old Friends Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:23 am

Esbat

Esbat
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

'Tis
The Courtship of Princess Leia
The Gunslinger
Make Love The Bruce Campbell Way

http://realityfugitives.com/

3Revisiting Old Friends Empty Re: Revisiting Old Friends Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:55 am

MikeSabian

MikeSabian
Ninja
Ninja

Stephen Fry's Moab is my Washpot
Goodnight Mr Tom
Frankenstein

4Revisiting Old Friends Empty Re: Revisiting Old Friends Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:14 pm

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

books I read every year:

Jurassic Park
The Lost World
Catcher in the Rye

5Revisiting Old Friends Empty Re: Revisiting Old Friends Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:36 pm

melvinlikechris

melvinlikechris
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The only book I remember re-reading is Heavier than Heaven

6Revisiting Old Friends Empty Re: Revisiting Old Friends Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:10 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I think I've only reread The Wrecker when I was a kid because I liked it so much. Man, I'd like to find that book again.
Revisiting Old Friends Wrecker-david-skinner
The cover of the one I had was in a junkyard with debris flying everywhere with a silhouetted figure in the center with raised hands and the back to the reader. It's stuck with me. I think it was the book that really got me into reading. Showed me that the books my classes have chosen for me to read were just bad, not all books. Wink

But ya, with the exception of graphic novels, I haven't even revisited my favorite books. Maybe some day. I'm still cramming new stuff. There's so much! wacko

7Revisiting Old Friends Empty Re: Revisiting Old Friends Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:12 am

TENIME_art

TENIME_art
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

It's been awhile since I've read my favorite Narnia book, The Magician's Nephew. I've read it a few times, and recently picked up a "special edition" of it, that also comes with the book on CD - as read by Kenneth Branagh.

Revisiting Old Friends DSCN3525

Very Happy

8Revisiting Old Friends Empty Re: Revisiting Old Friends Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:47 am

tstrike99

tstrike99
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

I read Tolkien's stuff probably every other year or so.
Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire trilogy is another one I re-read somewhat often.
The original Dragonlance trilogy about every 4-5 years or so.

9Revisiting Old Friends Empty Re: Revisiting Old Friends Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:55 pm

kidspider2099

kidspider2099
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I've read and re-read:

Danny champion of the world

The wonderful wizard of Oz
The patchwork girl of Oz
The wonderful land of Oz
Batman: KnightFall

10Revisiting Old Friends Empty Re: Revisiting Old Friends Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:55 pm

kidspider2099

kidspider2099
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I've read and re-read:

The patchwork girl of Oz
The wonderful land of Oz

11Revisiting Old Friends Empty Re: Revisiting Old Friends Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:24 am

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

kidspider2099 wrote:I've read and re-read:

The patchwork girl of Oz
The wonderful land of Oz

You really need to read The Magic of Oz, particularly if you like the Glass Cat. It's the one that I read over again and again.

12Revisiting Old Friends Empty Re: Revisiting Old Friends Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:33 am

elijahdprophet

elijahdprophet
PoP! Brewmaster
PoP! Brewmaster

The Chronicles Of Amber by Zelazny gets reread every few years.

13Revisiting Old Friends Empty Re: Revisiting Old Friends Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:48 am

kidspider2099

kidspider2099
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

superdoug wrote:
kidspider2099 wrote:I've read and re-read:

The patchwork girl of Oz
The wonderful land of Oz

You really need to read The Magic of Oz, particularly if you like the Glass Cat. It's the one that I read over again and again.

I've read the magic of Oz i just left it off the list.

14Revisiting Old Friends Empty Re: Revisiting Old Friends Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:20 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

Make Love: The Bruce Campbell Way, absolutely hilarious, Bruce goes off the deep end, in a really, really good way, he pokes fun at every major sterotype in Hollywood then turns his attention to the rest of America. I usually read it once a year, and I'm usually done with it in a day, and it's still a riot every time.

The Name of the Wind, newer book, but just really well written, great characterizations, interesting world building, and compelling main character that just jumps off the page at you. I've read it three times since I first bought it, I'm currently considering reading it a fourth time, damn you Patrick Rothfuss, put book two out already!!!

The Wheel of Time series, it's grown to become quite the chore to work my way through this series, but I usually plow through when a new book is getting close to being released so I can keep everything fresh in my mind.

15Revisiting Old Friends Empty Re: Revisiting Old Friends Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:21 pm

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

TENIME_art wrote:It's been awhile since I've read my favorite Narnia book, The Magician's Nephew. I've read it a few times, and recently picked up a "special edition" of it, that also comes with the book on CD - as read by Kenneth Branagh.

Revisiting Old Friends DSCN3525

Very Happy

That looks awesome. I've been thinking about re-reading the Narnia series for a while. I'm still making my way through LOTR.

16Revisiting Old Friends Empty Re: Revisiting Old Friends Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:37 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

flux336 wrote:That looks awesome. I've been thinking about re-reading the Narnia series for a while. I'm still making my way through LOTR.

For the love of God, those who haven't read them yet, ignore the numbers on the spine of the Narnia novels and read them in THIS ORDER (which is the order they were initially published in):

The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe
Prince Caspian
Voyage of the Dawn Treader
The Silver Chair
The Horse and His Boy
The Magician's Nephew
The Last Battle

Reading them in 'chronological' order completely ruins the mystery of Narnia and its relations with the Calmorenes and Archenland.

17Revisiting Old Friends Empty Re: Revisiting Old Friends Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:09 am

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

superdoug wrote:
flux336 wrote:That looks awesome. I've been thinking about re-reading the Narnia series for a while. I'm still making my way through LOTR.

For the love of God, those who haven't read them yet, ignore the numbers on the spine of the Narnia novels and read them in THIS ORDER (which is the order they were initially published in):

The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe
Prince Caspian
Voyage of the Dawn Treader
The Silver Chair
The Horse and His Boy
The Magician's Nephew
The Last Battle

Reading them in 'chronological' order completely ruins the mystery of Narnia and its relations with the Calmorenes and Archenland.

I have one of the older boxed sets, so it's in the original publication order. The chronological order does elminate all the interesting surprises and connections.

Usually when I recommend the Narnia books, I compare them to the original Star Wars trilogy. The impact of Empire would have been lessened if we'd gone into it knowing that Vader was Luke's father. The surprise makes it so much better.

18Revisiting Old Friends Empty Re: Revisiting Old Friends Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:19 am

The Ignored One

The Ignored One
Zombie
Zombie

I re read Christine every few years.

It was my first Stephen King book, and it brings back good memories.

http://entertainmentdeficitdisorder.wordpress.com/

19Revisiting Old Friends Empty Re: Revisiting Old Friends Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:34 pm

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

Honest Illusions by Nora Roberts. huh What, a girl needs a little romance sometimes. Wink

20Revisiting Old Friends Empty Re: Revisiting Old Friends Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:12 pm

Kelson

Kelson
Cadet
Cadet

There are a lot of books and series that I've reread at various times (I'm currently re-reading Greg Keyes' Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone), but the one I've reread the most is probably Ursula Le Guin's original Earthsea trilogy.

http://speedforce.org/

21Revisiting Old Friends Empty Re: Revisiting Old Friends Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:07 pm

Sandman

Sandman
Ninja
Ninja

I tend to reread the Lord of the Rings, Narnia, The Dark Tower Series and the Harry Potters every year or every other year. I substitute teach alot so I have alot of time on my hands to do this.

22Revisiting Old Friends Empty Re: Revisiting Old Friends Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:51 pm

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

I'm reading Sandra Cisneros' Loose Woman - I come back to her from time to time. It's one of the few poetry books I can read cover to cover again and again.

23Revisiting Old Friends Empty Re: Revisiting Old Friends Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:47 am

ravezombie

ravezombie
Cadet
Cadet

My bookshelves have a few of these...

-Dragonlance Chronicles Trilogy (Autumn Twilight, Winter Night, and Spring Dawning.).
-Frankenstein
-Fahrenheit 451 (this is an odd one for me as I can't seem to tire of it whenever I do re-read through it. It also tends to be my go to book when I'm in a crappy mood.).
-Jurassic Park
-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

http://dizzyclockwork.deviantart.com/

24Revisiting Old Friends Empty Re: Revisiting Old Friends Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:56 pm

Spazzy

Spazzy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Harry Potter Series.

http://comixbookgurl.blogspot.com/

25Revisiting Old Friends Empty Re: Revisiting Old Friends Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:22 pm

MrParanoid

MrParanoid
Cadet
Cadet

The books i enjoy rereading are the dragonlance chronicles, Anne Rice's Vampire chronicles but i stop at memnoch the devil, and a couple Stephen King books mostly IT and the Stand.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum