The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Secret Avengers

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 11 of 14]

251 Re: Secret Avengers on Thu May 27, 2010 1:45 am

Bigtymin504

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Batman25JM wrote:Was it just me or did Steve and Rhodey's word balloons seemed switched up when they were talking about flying? Was it like that for anyone else?

Yep same here, that was an annoying mishap.

View user profile

252 Re: Secret Avengers on Thu May 27, 2010 1:47 am

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
^Yeah, I hate when that happens.

I forgot to mention, but Deodato's Beast looks amazing. The only people to draw Cat-Beast to my satisfaction are him and John Cassaday. I like how Deodato's Beast looks almost like a mix between the Cat-Beast and the Ape-Beast.

View user profile

253 Re: Secret Avengers on Thu May 27, 2010 1:57 am

Demonweasel

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
My favorite part of it is that for the most part all the boring "Let's spend six issues assembling the team we told you was going to be in the book two months ago" stuff that Marvel has been notorious for has gone out the window on this one (There was a little bit of that in this week's Thunderbolts). Here's the team, here's the story, here we go. Great story telling. I like how, in this book especially, it's "mission statement" (for lack of a better term) is laid out plainly and gives the readers the sense that all these Avengers books are here for a specific purpose. Even better, it's one that makes sense in the new Heroic Age setting we've got going on. I'm interested to see how they lay that out for New Avengers.

------------------------------------
Thacher E Cleveland - Grandpa, PoP Princess Whipping Boy
www.demonweasel.com
www.twitter.com/demonweasel
www.facebook.com/demonweasel
www.superflycomics.com
View user profile http://www.demonweasel.com

254 Re: Secret Avengers on Thu May 27, 2010 10:59 am

After reading the issue for like the 5th time today I've noticed that during the Nova scenes the Worldmind kinda reads or sounds like the old Worldmind instead of Ko-Rel. It may be just me but did anyone else get that vibe?

View user profile

255 Re: Secret Avengers on Thu May 27, 2010 11:23 am

comicgeekelly

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
KingJoffers wrote:After reading the issue for like the 5th time today I've noticed that during the Nova scenes the Worldmind kinda reads or sounds like the old Worldmind instead of Ko-Rel. It may be just me but did anyone else get that vibe?

I don't have an answer to your question, but it seems like you're a Nova fan so I'm hoping you can answer my question. What is the Worldmind?

View user profile

256 Re: Secret Avengers on Thu May 27, 2010 11:41 am

comicgeekelly wrote:
KingJoffers wrote:After reading the issue for like the 5th time today I've noticed that during the Nova scenes the Worldmind kinda reads or sounds like the old Worldmind instead of Ko-Rel. It may be just me but did anyone else get that vibe?

I don't have an answer to your question, but it seems like you're a Nova fan so I'm hoping you can answer my question. What is the Worldmind?

The Worldmind is a artificial intelligence that basically has the collective knowledge of all the people of Xandar, former homeworld of the Nova Corps. If you view Nova as a space cop then the Worldmind would basically be the police commisioner/dispatcher.

View user profile

257 Re: Secret Avengers on Thu May 27, 2010 1:11 pm

comicgeekelly

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
^^^ Okay. Thanks for clearing that up.

View user profile

258 Re: Secret Avengers on Fri May 28, 2010 4:19 am

hrdwrkngXsoldier

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Secret Avengers #1

This Book was being pimped by Marvel for almost 2 months. Everybody was wondering what to expect from this very eclectic bunch of Avengers.

My first thought was..."Isn't Nova in Space?" Really any way you look at it he should be. This book alone and Richard Ryders presence make me question the entirety of Marvel 616 continuity. He is either in space with the Nova Corps or he is chasing Cancerverse Quasar to the fault. All this does is make me wonder if D&A's cosmic masterpiece is actually set in a distant future in a Galaxy far far away.

Aside from that it looks like this team is actually not a team, but more like a controlled staff of reserve Avengers that will be used for Covert Ops. Their first mission however leads them to an investigation in space and a battle agains a new secret society that has amoung its members a certain eye patch wearing super spy. Yeah, a definate WTF moment.

This should prove interesting, but with the exception of Steve Rodgers, Nova, and Beast this team doesn't interest me that much.

3 out of 5 Serpent Crowns

View user profile

259 Re: Secret Avengers on Sun May 30, 2010 6:42 am

Aussiemandias

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Bigtymin504 wrote:Secret Avengers #1

Loved it. This was probably the best approach I've seen to introducing a new team without making it feel like you're just introducing a new team. The beginning scene with Natasha and Valkyrie was badass, loved the joke about where Val kept her sword lol. Then we get some good stuff with Steve and Sharon, then Steve and Hank (who looks great in this btw). This artifact they found has me very intrigued. Also liked the scenes with Moon Knight and Ant-Man on their covert mission, I can already tell that relationship will be very entertaining lol. But my favorite part was when Rhodey asked Steve if he has someone that can check out Mars, Steve said with a smile "Of course I do. What kind of operation did you think I was running, Rhodey?" Laughing Just thought that was badass and a great way to introduce Nova. Overall great first issue by Bru and flat out gorgeous art from Deodato. Oh and that last page...wtf Shocked

Yep, it was a very solid start. Really enjoyed it and I think this is going to be my favourite Avengers book (probably also because Bendis has been starting to grate on me a little bit lately). I just loved that Brubaker's got us straight into a story and the Serpent Crown is an excellent idea for the sort of thing Steve Rogers is looking at for this time to be involved in. Just as we see in the book if there was any kind of rumours of the Serpent Crown resurfacing Steve would have been straight onto it with this team so it's a great opening story.

Demonweasel wrote:My favorite part of it is that for the most part all the boring "Let's spend six issues assembling the team we told you was going to be in the book two months ago" stuff that Marvel has been notorious for has gone out the window on this one (There was a little bit of that in this week's Thunderbolts).
That's something both the big companies have done not just Marvel. It's tired from both of them.

hrdwrkngXsoldier wrote:Secret Avengers #1

My first thought was..."Isn't Nova in Space?" Really any way you look at it he should be. This book alone and Richard Ryders presence make me question the entirety of Marvel 616 continuity. He is either in space with the Nova Corps or he is chasing Cancerverse Quasar to the fault. All this does is make me wonder if D&A's cosmic masterpiece is actually set in a distant future in a Galaxy far far away.
I don't know why people get hung up on this sort of thing. Just because the books are being published at the same time doesn't mean the stories are happening at those exact same moments. We haven't seen it yet but if this story was to take place over a few days or a week it's well and truly possible that Nova slipped away from his stories over the other side of the universe to help Steve Rogers out at an appropriate time in that story. Or alternatively this happened just before or just after. Hopefully Brubaker mentions it at some stage.

I have to agree with KingJoffers that Worldmind sounds like the old Worldmind but I guess you could also argue we didn't hear it say enough to truly tell.

View user profile

260 Re: Secret Avengers on Sun May 30, 2010 3:34 pm

LOOSECANNON

Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Secret Avengers #1

Exclusive review!

Ahh...kidding. Finally got myself a chance to sit down (for once) and think about this week's books for a moment. It's always easy to get all wound up and start throwing out high marks to books you have tremendous expectations for; especially when this said title has a plethroa of characters you like and just the right mix of favorite writer and artist.

Well, I'm here to tell you it isn't the epic classic some are closely daunting. But it's not far off. Super Soldier Steve's array of secret-ops troopers are a fun bunch, as I'm sure at this point I don't need to get into specifics. It's a good time.

Right now Nova is the "controversial" member--just loving how Valkerie has put her doubts into place--but I believe Steve says it best to War Machine in the issue. It should be interesting to see how intergalactic affair plays out.

And that ending...

4/5 Bags&Boards - Excellent. This book should only get better.

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

261 Re: Secret Avengers on Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:35 pm

jaydee74

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Having read this issue, I can safely say that I don't eve need to see Steve Rogers as Captain America again. Back to the issue itself? Awesome. Simply awesome. I think Brubaker is my favorite writer at Marvel.

View user profile

262 Re: Secret Avengers on Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:40 am

Sandman

Ninja
Ninja
jaydee74 wrote:Having read this issue, I can safely say that I don't eve need to see Steve Rogers as Captain America again. Back to the issue itself? Awesome. Simply awesome. I think Brubaker is my favorite writer at Marvel.

once again Jaydee we are of the same mind & opinion. I think this new take on Steve Rogers he man id much better than Steve Rogers the Icon. not only is he completly qualified for this but he makes it look good! I was worried that Bucky would not get his fair shake at being Cap once the "status quo" was restablished. but I was wrong. right now both can shine with the roles they are given, and we can see both interact with the MU at large. Don't get me wrong I was giddy when I saw Steve pick up that troll shield in Avengers Prime, but I am glad Bucky is wearing the stars & stripes right now.

the only thing I was alittle peeved about is this covert, secret avengers first mission is a space one? not that I am not excited to see what will happen but, I was expecting some real good espoinage stories

View user profile

263 Re: Secret Avengers on Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:37 pm

jaydee74

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
What I would love to see is Steve Rogers in a backup story in Captain America. That would be the most perfect book and the only way I would ever buy a $3.99 book.

View user profile

264 Re: Secret Avengers on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:02 pm

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
jaydee74 wrote:What I would love to see is Steve Rogers in a backup story in Captain America. That would be the most perfect book and the only way I would ever buy a $3.99 book.

Well most if not all books are going to be $3.99 soon, so I don't think you are going to have a choice. But I do agree about a Steve Rogers backup in the Cap book being great.

View user profile

265 Re: Secret Avengers on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:28 pm

jaydee74

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
There is always a choice. It might not be the choice I want but there is always a choice.

View user profile

266 Re: Secret Avengers on Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:04 am

Demonweasel

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
jaydee74 wrote:There is always a choice. It might not be the choice I want but there is always a choice.

Yeah, some days I need to remind myself it's not digital that's hurting comics. It really seems like publishers are putting a tourniquet on their necks to stop a head-wound.

------------------------------------
Thacher E Cleveland - Grandpa, PoP Princess Whipping Boy
www.demonweasel.com
www.twitter.com/demonweasel
www.facebook.com/demonweasel
www.superflycomics.com
View user profile http://www.demonweasel.com

267 Re: Secret Avengers on Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:31 am

jaydee74

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Demonweasel wrote:
jaydee74 wrote:There is always a choice. It might not be the choice I want but there is always a choice.

Yeah, some days I need to remind myself it's not digital that's hurting comics. It really seems like publishers are putting a tourniquet on their necks to stop a head-wound.
Very true.

View user profile

268 Re: Secret Avengers on Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:23 am

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Secret Avengers #2

I loved this. It's a space espionage story, what's not to love?

The art is phenomenal, just phenomenal.

I love the interaction between Ant-Man and War Machine. I also love the way Moon Knight is being written here.

I have to say that I think this is my favorite Avengers book right now.

View user profile

269 Re: Secret Avengers on Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:27 am

Chi-Town Spidey

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Batman25JM wrote:Secret Avengers #2

I loved this. It's a space espionage story, what's not to love?

The art is phenomenal, just phenomenal.

I love the interaction between Ant-Man and War Machine. I also love the way Moon Knight is being written here.

I have to say that I think this is my favorite Avengers book right now.

RIGHT?! I hope they keep this kind of flow going through out this book. Enjoying it sssooo much!

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/people/Chi-Town-Spidey/1331652244

270 Re: Secret Avengers on Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:41 am

Secret Avengers # 2

Its kinda funny cause when I first read through this issue I thought it was just ok but after re-reading it without my daughter screaming in my ear I found it to be very enjoyable. I love how this book feels so different yet truly feels like a Avengers book. The highlight of this issue for me definetly had to be the Flying Team's interaction. War Machine refusing to even acknowledge O'Grady's codename until he's earned it is exactly how Rhodey should be portrayed. The only issue I had with the comic at all was Steve shouting out "Avengers we're under attack" or whatever. I know that they are on Mars but it just seemed off with the team's secret status.

Brubaker has nearly erased the mediocrity of his Uncanny run from my mind with this series and I dont think there is anything left to say about Deodato. That man is just one hell of a artist. The huge alien that Hank an Steve ran into looked just awesome.

Overall with 2 issues in the bank this is still my favorite out of the Avengers franchise and I dont see that changing anytime soon.

View user profile

271 Re: Secret Avengers on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:20 pm

Bigtymin504

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Agreed with you guys. Loved #2. the team interaction is great and this Mars mystery is really piquing my interest...not to mention the leader of that Serpent group! Will be interesting to see the truth behind that... Suspect

View user profile

272 Re: Secret Avengers on Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:07 pm

comicgeekelly

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Awesome, awesome book. After Brubaker's run on Uncanny I was kind of afraid that this book might not be the greatest, but I've been loving what we've seen so far.

View user profile

273 Re: Secret Avengers on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:24 pm

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I forgot to mention earlier my one gripe about the issue. The fact that Beast's arms and legs were exposed when they were on Mars. That was weird. His suit should have covered them.

View user profile

274 Re: Secret Avengers on Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:53 am

prescribeddrone

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
#2 was pretty good...

View user profile

275 Re: Secret Avengers on Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:59 am

Aussiemandias

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I haven't much to say about issue #2 other than it was really good and really interesting and quite frankly I really can't ask for more. I love that it's a new bunch of characters teamed up here and it truly is an interesting and unusual mix. I'm in for the long haul on this one.

Bigtymin504 wrote:Agreed with you guys. Loved #2. the team interaction is great and this Mars mystery is really piquing my interest...not to mention the leader of that Serpent group! Will be interesting to see the truth behind that... Suspect
Yes, very interesting to see what's going on there and who the real leaders are.

Batman25JM wrote:I forgot to mention earlier my one gripe about the issue. The fact that Beast's arms and legs were exposed when they were on Mars. That was weird. His suit should have covered them.
I agree - that did seem a little odd.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum