The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Green Arrow

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1 Green Arrow on Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:21 am

I looked around the DC Comics section and I did not see a Green Arrow thread. So here it is. With Cry for Justice #7 out, what do you guys think of Ollie and Company's current predicament? (Consider this your spoiler alert if you haven't read it or heard about it yet!)

I find it intriguing. It's a bit too much like what happened to Hal Jordan after Star City was destroyed for my tastes, but hopefully JT Krul (I've never read any of his stuff.. how is he?) can pull this off in brilliant Born Again/World's Most Wanted kind of way. What say you? And what are your favorite Green Arrow stories/characters/villains and why?

View user profile

2 Re: Green Arrow on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:05 am

LordD3r3k

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I for one am very interested in seeing how Rise and Fall plays out. I think Arsenal may turn villain, or at the very least anti-hero. I think he's going to start crossing lines that Ollie doesn't want to see happen, which is going to put them on opposing sides. Hopefully we'll see some cool moments come out of it.

As far as favorite stories.. The Longbow Hunters immediately comes to mind. It was written in the 80's, but it had a Vertigo spin on the Emerald Archer. Adult themes, Ollie killing, Black Canary (implied) raped. Pretty heavy stuff

View user profile

3 Re: Green Arrow on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:14 am

LordD3r3k wrote:I for one am very interested in seeing how Rise and Fall plays out. I think Arsenal may turn villain, or at the very least anti-hero. I think he's going to start crossing lines that Ollie doesn't want to see happen, which is going to put them on opposing sides. Hopefully we'll see some cool moments come out of it.

As far as favorite stories.. The Longbow Hunters immediately comes to mind. It was written in the 80's, but it had a Vertigo spin on the Emerald Archer. Adult themes, Ollie killing, Black Canary (implied) raped. Pretty heavy stuff

You aren't alone, I'm interested in it as well. As for Arsenal becoming a villain, that bugs me. I mean, ever since he became a junkie in GL/GA he's been treated a bit like Under the Hood Jason Todd. There's no need for another Red Hood.

Honestly, I've only recently been getting on a GA kick. There aren't any comic stores here in Sitka which means I'm mostly cut off from reading current comics, not counting the internet, which is a bit of a mess here. So, I have not read Longbow Hunters yet, which annoys me because it sounds like it's one of the big runs.

View user profile

4 Re: Green Arrow on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:25 am

LordD3r3k

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Foreigner_Man wrote:Honestly, I've only recently been getting on a GA kick. There aren't any comic stores here in Sitka which means I'm mostly cut off from reading current comics, not counting the internet, which is a bit of a mess here. So, I have not read Longbow Hunters yet, which annoys me because it sounds like it's one of the big runs.

Yeah, it's definitely one of his must reads. Alot of his development stems from that story.

View user profile

5 Re: Green Arrow on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:27 am

Okay, I'll check that out at the ECC next week. Anything else I should get without hesitation besides the obvious of GL/GA?

View user profile

6 Re: Green Arrow on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:32 am

LordD3r3k

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Foreigner_Man wrote:Okay, I'll check that out at the ECC next week. Anything else I should get without hesitation besides the obvious of GL/GA?

Can't go wrong with Kevin Smith's run. Quiver, Sounds of Violence, Archer's Quest.. all considered to be top books.

View user profile

7 Re: Green Arrow on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:36 am

LordD3r3k wrote:
Foreigner_Man wrote:Okay, I'll check that out at the ECC next week. Anything else I should get without hesitation besides the obvious of GL/GA?

Can't go wrong with Kevin Smith's run. Quiver, Sounds of Violence, Archer's Quest.. all considered to be top books.
I've read Quiver. Great stuff, I really liked it. Phil Hester's art was great and I enjoyed his panel layouts.

Didn't Brad Meltzer have a run?

View user profile

8 Re: Green Arrow on Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:49 am

rwe1138

avatar
Moderator
Moderator
Foreigner_Man wrote:
LordD3r3k wrote:
Foreigner_Man wrote:Okay, I'll check that out at the ECC next week. Anything else I should get without hesitation besides the obvious of GL/GA?

Can't go wrong with Kevin Smith's run. Quiver, Sounds of Violence, Archer's Quest.. all considered to be top books.
I've read Quiver. Great stuff, I really liked it. Phil Hester's art was great and I enjoyed his panel layouts.

Didn't Brad Meltzer have a run?
Meltzer wrote the Archer's Quest arc.


------------------------------------
Robert Eddleman
View user profile http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

9 Re: Green Arrow on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:37 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I need to catch up on Green Arrow(/Black Canary). I bought them, but I haven't read the last 4 issues or so of Andrew Kreisberg's run. I HATED all of his run that I've read (which if funny because I've enjoyed some of his non comic work). I'm hoping that JT Krul's run is better. I thought the Blackest Night tie in that he wrote was decent.

As for favorite GA runs, I absolutely loved, LOVED Judd Winick's run (both on Green Arrow and Green Arrow/Black Canary). It's one of my favorite comic runs in general. And I LOVED Phil Hester's art for GA, he definitely draws my favorite GA.

I thought Kevin Smith's run was great as well, as was Brad Meltzer's arc.

I have Longbow Hunters, but I have yet to read it.

View user profile

10 Re: Green Arrow on Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:18 am

rwe1138 wrote:
Meltzer wrote the Archer's Quest arc.
I'll look that up as well.

Batman25JM wrote:I need to catch up on Green Arrow(/Black Canary). I bought them, but I haven't read the last 4 issues or so of Andrew Kreisberg's run. I HATED all of his run that I've read (which if funny because I've enjoyed some of his non comic work). I'm hoping that JT Krul's run is better. I thought the Blackest Night tie in that he wrote was decent.

As for favorite GA runs, I absolutely loved, LOVED Judd Winick's run (both on Green Arrow and Green Arrow/Black Canary). It's one of my favorite comic runs in general. And I LOVED Phil Hester's art for GA, he definitely draws my favorite GA.


Kreisbergh's stuff sounds like editorial wasn't giving the writer too much control. As for Winick's run, I haven't read it, but doesn't Ollie cheat on Dinah in his first issue? That doesn't make sense. If I remember properly didn't it say that in Quiver the reason Ollie wanted to come back was because he missed Dinah? That seems to retract the whole point of his resurrection. I'm not trying to diss Winick's run, especially when I haven't read it and you've given it such praise, but that one thing just seems weird to me.

View user profile

11 Re: Green Arrow on Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:38 pm

jaydee74

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
LordD3r3k wrote:
Foreigner_Man wrote:Okay, I'll check that out at the ECC next week. Anything else I should get without hesitation besides the obvious of GL/GA?

Can't go wrong with Kevin Smith's run. Quiver, Sounds of Violence, Archer's Quest.. all considered to be top books.

I remember Quiver and thought it was awesome.

View user profile

12 Re: Green Arrow on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:16 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Hey! Huge Green Arrow mark here...up until...

Winick left. Actually, I never bothered with the first Green Arrow/Black Canary book either. After Kevin Smith's brilliant run, Meltzer's perfectly fine addition, and Winick's first arc, I was through.

Now, for the first time in years, I heard decent stuff concerning Ollie with Black Lantern Green Arrow #30 so I decided to pick it up. If you're a fan of GA at all, it's worth the cash. The art from Diogenes Neves is pretty amazing. It's definitely original in its styling, using plenty of dark and gray hues, electrifying splash pages and horrifying sequences from Ollie's past. Some of them are very graphic in nature, but being a DC book, you'd never know if kids could buy this or not. It's about as gratuitous as it gets; with that, it returns to the roots of Longbow Hunters in that Ollie's backstory is no Honeycomb Hideout. Also, a lot of Black Lanterns in the past have "looked" scary, but here, Black Lantern Ollie actually does a lot of terrorizing both mentally and physically. The ending isn't the best for a one-shot, as I get the feeling writer JT Krul's sold purpose was reintroducing Green Arrow to DC fans who haven't been following since Winick/Meltzer/Smith.

3.5/5 Bags&Boards - Other than Hawkman/The Atom (and I haven't read the Starman ish), this might be the best Blackest Night "reborn" issue yet.

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

13 Re: Green Arrow on Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:02 am

LordD3r3k

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Green Arrow #31

Not a bad issue (definitely better than the last few arcs), but it's still used to set up the Rise and Fall story for those that may not have picked up the one-shot last week. I expect the next issue to really start getting into the meat of the story. What was interesting to see here are the battle lines start to form.

And what a great cover by Casuli (sp?). Nice touch with the 3 heroes condemning Ollie looking down on him in the stained glass window. It's nice to see some creative talent thrown towards GA's way for once

View user profile

14 Re: Green Arrow on Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:59 am

so, i am a completely unapologetic GA fan.

I came around issue 65 or so of the GA stand alone book, which i think was Winnick (i'd have to dig through to check, but as i'm writing this it's dark and i don't want to wake everyone). A lot of people hated his run, but it's where i was introduced, so i don't have a huge problem...up to a point, but i'll get back to that.

shortly after i got into it, i picked up the first GL/GA trade, and loved it. yeah, it's a little cheesy and melodramatic by modern standards, but it gives all three characters some heart, which, reading the jumbo collection from the 60's, was sorely needed.

I got longbow hunters right before my second ECCC, because Grell was going to be there. I had him sign it for me. I was so dumb and giggly i could barely talk to him.

I have (after resupplying at ECCC10) every issue of GA/Black Canary, and i think i may be the only person on earth who likes the current stories and art style...i have to be honest, by the last couple winnick issues, i was really tired of it...i think i started losing intrest about the time that the crew found a flying saucer full of "aliens" at the end of one issue, only to unmask them as normal, namless thugs at the start of the next.

I love the idea of Cupid as a villain, but even though i'm caught up on purchased issues, i still haven't read the last five or six month's worth yet, i'm trying to burn through Blackest Night first. So maybe by the time i'm done i'll hate her, but as of right now...i really like the idea that Ollie's biggest fear is a Fatal Attraction-style stalker.

A lot of people have complained about the newer stuff, but it kind of reminds me of the Longbow Stuff. Granted, he's still in the main DCU, so there are a lot more superheroics, but i like the return to force that he has shown. Especially when that force has obvious consequences, which do not always come out well for the heros.

Anyway, i'm going to get preachy if i go on much longer, so i'll stop here by saying again: go get the Black Lantern Green Arrow book. it is really good, and a great intro to the character.

View user profile

15 Re: Green Arrow on Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:05 am

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Green Arrow #31

I liked this. It was MUCH better than Andrew Kreisberg's run.

I think that Krul has the potential to have a great run.

I really hope Mia doesn't go through with killing the Electrocutioner. I don't want her to be a murderer, and I actually like the Electrocutioner.

I'm curious, was Ollie and Barry's relationship always like that? Also, when exactly did Ollie go back to his old costume? I haven't read all the recent GA issues yet, but I swear the last stuff I read he was still in the new hooded costume (which I prefer), but in all the appearances I've seen of him lately he's in his older costume.

View user profile

16 Re: Green Arrow on Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:07 am

LordD3r3k

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
And just to add, I like Krul's writing. He's still has some growing to do in terms of creating a solid hook in the story. But it's pretty decent stuff

View user profile

17 Re: Green Arrow on Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:16 pm

Well, i'm caught up through the end of the split Green Arrow/Black Canary title...and i have a dumb question...

when, exactly, does any of this take place? I picked up the Justice League Rise and Fall special (so i guess i need to start reading Justice League too now), but i have no idea where any of these stories fit in with each other...or with Blackest Night, since technically Ollie ought to be running around as a zombie in the last issue or two...

What the hell is the correct chronology to any of this?

View user profile

18 Re: Green Arrow on Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:19 pm

According to the solicts, GA is getting yet another #1. What do you guys think of that? And has GA ever gotten beyond issue?

GREEN ARROW #1
On sale JUNE 23 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US
Written by J.T. KRUL • Art by DIOGENES NEVES • Cover by MAURO CASCIOLI
1:25 Variant cover by ETHAN VAN SCIVER
BRIGHTEST DAY shines its light on Star City in this oversized first issue from up-and-coming writer J.T. Krul (BLACKEST NIGHT: TITANS, GREEN ARROW #30) and future superstar artist Diogenes Neves (New Mutants)! “The Fall of Green Arrow” has ended. Now who carries the heavy bow of the Emerald Archer? Coming out of the devastation, what miraculous event has occurred in Star City and what mysteries await inside that bring the forces of good and evil in search of its lone protector? Aim for a whole new era starring Green Arrow in this exciting ongoing series!
Retailers please note: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the Previews Order Form for more information.

View user profile

19 Re: Green Arrow on Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:23 pm

Peg leg Pete wrote:Well, i'm caught up through the end of the split Green Arrow/Black Canary title...and i have a dumb question...

when, exactly, does any of this take place? I picked up the Justice League Rise and Fall special (so i guess i need to start reading Justice League too now), but i have no idea where any of these stories fit in with each other...or with Blackest Night, since technically Ollie ought to be running around as a zombie in the last issue or two...

What the hell is the correct chronology to any of this?

I think it goes like this:
Cry for Justice
Blackest Night
Rise and Fall

I don't know if that helps, or were you asking about where GA/BC fit in?

View user profile

20 Re: Green Arrow on Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:27 pm

well, that does help, but yeah, i'm asking where GD/BC fits also...the last issue ends with them teleporting away to Hal, but if all that took place before cry for justice...that's quite a run up, since both series ended about the same time...

View user profile

21 Re: Green Arrow on Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:33 pm

Sorry, I haven't been reading GA/BC currently. It sounds to me like it comes before 'Justice' tho.

View user profile

22 Re: Green Arrow on Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:57 pm

BlueMaxx

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Yeah, I heard that Black Canary "quit" this title. Most likely because of the upcoming Birds of Prey, but still. You think they'll make them breakup. Go all Peter/MJ on them, like bastard writers are known for?

View user profile

23 Re: Green Arrow on Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:08 pm

if the timing is fo GA/BC to be before Cry for Justice, that makes everything very weird...the two books only ended a few weeks apart...

personally, i kind of hope that ollie and dinah stay together...it makes for a fun dynamic. i always kind of hate it when they break up...it is basically destined that at some point they will be back together again, so it just seems kind of pointless. Having spent large portions of their group book working on their relationship, it would kind of invalidate the whole thing to have them part again now.

View user profile

24 Re: Green Arrow on Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:08 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Peg leg Pete wrote:if the timing is fo GA/BC to be before Cry for Justice, that makes everything very weird...the two books only ended a few weeks apart...

personally, i kind of hope that ollie and dinah stay together...it makes for a fun dynamic. i always kind of hate it when they break up...it is basically destined that at some point they will be back together again, so it just seems kind of pointless. Having spent large portions of their group book working on their relationship, it would kind of invalidate the whole thing to have them part again now.

I haven't read the last few issues of GA/BC yet, but I'm guessing it takes place before Cry for Justice. The timing of the release doesn't really make any difference. I mean, Cry for Justice takes place prior to Blackest Night, but Blackest Night started prior to Cry for Justice finishing.

View user profile

25 Re: Green Arrow on Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:55 pm

BlueMaxx wrote: You think they'll make them breakup. Go all Peter/MJ on them, like bastard writers are known for?
They better not! grrr



*sharpens pitchfork just in case*

View user profile

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum