Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

The World of Indy Comics!

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The World of Indy Comics! Empty The World of Indy Comics! Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:44 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I have made it my personal mission to expose members of the PoP!ulation to independent comics. I hope that by reviewing them that it will spike interest in some of these titles from the true indy publishers. I would like to specify what I believe should be an independant book.

Many people lump Dark Horse, Image, and IDW into this indy territory. Completely misrepresenting what indipendent books are by doing so. Just because they are not the big 2, Marvel and DC, does not make them an independent book. Those three companies have a pretty good share of the market. They have enough of the market share that when the weekly releases are announced they get their own sub-heading for the titles coming out. If a company has 25-35 ongoings and graphic novels coming out a month on a consistant bases, they are not "indy" by any means. Those three companies are just as mainstream as the others, and have the rights to huge properties and franchises.

Dark Horse has Star Wars, Buffy,Turok, Hellboy, BPRD, Conan, Aliens, and Predator.

Image has Spawn and Savage Dragon. They are probably closely called indy becuase they take chances on discovering that next franchise more often than the others.

IDW has run away with the following of the nerd core wiht licenses on clasic franchises such as GI Joe, Transformers, Star Trek, Angel, and Doctor Who.

These publishers have access to more talent than most indi publishers whether it be artists or writers. They also have access to large printing companies and contracts with Diamond Distributions. They have toy lines, movies, and well established fanbases. But INDY they are not.

Do I expect them to get their own boards here? Nope. There just aren't enough PoP!pers that care to discuss comics in general most of the time and it would probably just be wasted space.

But I hope that I will be able to interest you in quality books put out by these small time publishers as I have been for the last month, and hope you enjoy it enough to maybe be tempted to seek out some of the better ones. There will be more coming along with interviews with creators and publishers themselves, stay tuned. (maybe I'll get main site status someday)

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum