Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet"

+13
Batman25JM
comicgeekelly
Fresh03
rwe1138
Jango Fett
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
hrdwrkngXsoldier
alucardbarnivous
Administrator
LOOSECANNON
Aussiemandias
LordD3r3k
Bigtymin504
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" - Page 2 Empty Re: Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" Fri May 28, 2010 7:51 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

rwe1138 wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:Hey could a moderator could be so kind to edit the thread title for me? I tried several times but for some reason it won't edit for me. Could you please change the thread title to Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet"? Kthxbai. Smile
Wink

Hmm did you fix it? It's still showing up as Bendis and Maleev's "O-X" for me. scratch

27Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" - Page 2 Empty Re: Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" Fri May 28, 2010 8:00 pm

Lee

Lee
Administrator
Administrator

Done

http://www.leerodriguez.net

28Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" - Page 2 Empty Re: Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" Fri May 28, 2010 8:20 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Lee wrote:Done
Thanks, Lee! Smile

29Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" - Page 2 Empty Re: Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:23 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Scarlet #1

Engaging. Innovative. Exciting. That pretty much sums up what I thought about this debut issue. Bendis really pulls you into Scarlet's world and makes you feel like a part of the story. The way she breaks the 4th wall and talks to the reader directly was handled great. I loved the way her origins were told with snapshots of momentous parts of her life. Top notch art by Maleev, his photo-realistic style is best suited for this kind of story.

And the last spread with Scarlet directly telling us "I'm going to stop it. All of it. But the thing of it is...you're going to help me." has me really looking forward to what this book has in store for us!

30Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" - Page 2 Empty Re: Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:42 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

If you aren't reading this book there is something wrong with you. Scarlet was the best thing I read this week and I can't wait for the next issue. It was just so good. Scarlet brought something new to comics that has to be read.

31Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" - Page 2 Empty Re: Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:47 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Hopefully picking it up tomorrow. Can't wait. Heard nothing but "interesting," "good concept," and "ballsy." Good signs.

32Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" - Page 2 Empty Re: Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:53 am

THALASTDRAGON

THALASTDRAGON
Zombie
Zombie

i've heard nuttin but good reviews for this, i think ima call and have it thrown in my box tomorrow

33Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" - Page 2 Empty Re: Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:30 am

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^^^ That's a good idea. You don't want to miss it.

34Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" - Page 2 Empty Re: Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:18 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Scarlet #1

Engaging. Innovative. Exciting. That pretty much sums up what I thought about this debut issue. Bendis really pulls you into Scarlet's world and makes you feel like a part of the story. The way she breaks the 4th wall and talks to the reader directly was handled great. I loved the way her origins were told with snapshots of momentous parts of her life. Top notch art by Maleev, his photo-realistic style is best suited for this kind of story.

And the last spread with Scarlet directly telling us "I'm going to stop it. All of it. But the thing of it is...you're going to help me." has me really looking forward to what this book has in store for us!

I have yet to read the first issue. I decided to skip it, and now I'm regretting it. I'm going to stop by my LCS tomorrow and see if they still have any copies left. Anyway, that quote you posted makes it seem like the audience is seeing things from the POV of a character in the book. Is that a possibility?

35Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" - Page 2 Empty Re: Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:47 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^^^ As far as I can tell from the interviews that I've read with Bendis it was the reader that she was talking to and if anything we're seeing the story from her POV. I think it'll be clearer once you read the book.

36Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" - Page 2 Empty Re: Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:02 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:

I have yet to read the first issue. I decided to skip it, and now I'm regretting it. I'm going to stop by my LCS tomorrow and see if they still have any copies left. Anyway, that quote you posted makes it seem like the audience is seeing things from the POV of a character in the book. Is that a possibility?

That's a cool possibility...but from everything I've seen and heard, Scarlet is shattering the fourth wall and talking to us the readers directly throughout the story. It's quite cool, you feel personally invested in her story. I'd highly recommend checking out the first issue and going from there.

37Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" - Page 2 Empty Re: Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:28 am

Lee

Lee
Administrator
Administrator

http://panelsonpages.com/?p=25527

38Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" - Page 2 Empty Re: Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:38 am

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^^^ Don't know if you know Lee, but your review got a mention on CBR.
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2010/07/chain-reactions-scarlet-1/

39Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" - Page 2 Empty Re: Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:42 pm

Lee

Lee
Administrator
Administrator

I had no idea Laughing

40Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" - Page 2 Empty Re: Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:17 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Awesome!

41Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" - Page 2 Empty Re: Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:15 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Let me say first that I definitely enjoyed this first issue. The art by Maleev was worth the price of admission alone (I know it's been described as photo-realistic but I don't see it that way in the slightest - I think it's stylistic - a photo may be the starting point for some of his work but he takes it so much further). The story I think Bendis wants to tell here is a good one that I'm definitely interested in.

However....I don't like Bendis's writing when he overuses gimmicks (for an example see his work at the start of Mighty Avengers with the use of thought balloons) and make no mistake - this breaking of the fourth wall is a bit of a gimmick. So I will be very interested to see how he continues to use the technique. At the end of the day the story here is what needs to dominate not the storytelling technique. I see a risk here that it could become all about the technique. Let's hope not.

I'm actually more hopeful that she's speaking to someone that's filming her which then provides a reason for breaking the fourth wall. It's probably not the case.

42Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" - Page 2 Empty Re: Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:16 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Everyone wants to be Scarlet on a bad day. I liked this. This isn't a vigilantism that's really touched on in comics, let alone entertainment. And Maleev brings those characters and their words to life with each panel. Bendis & Maleev have something here.

43Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" - Page 2 Empty Re: Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:55 am

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

After reading issue 2 I can say that I really love this book. The art is fantastic and it's written so well. I wish it wasn't bimonthly, but as long as the quality is strong it really doesn't matter to me.

44Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" - Page 2 Empty Re: Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:56 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

comicgeekelly wrote:After reading issue 2 I can say that I really love this book. The art is fantastic and it's written so well. I wish it wasn't bimonthly, but as long as the quality is strong it really doesn't matter to me.
I'm happy with all these bi-monthly books lately if it keeps these great artists on time.

Well, I have to say I have completely turned around on the breaking the fourth wall "gimmick" as I called it. In retrospect, I completely disagree now with my comments from earlier. Here's why:

- Scarlet talking to the reader is actually not a whole lot different from characters narrating stories, which is a device used by it must be 70% of comic book writers at the moment. Who is the character narrating the story to? The reader. Well, then they're virtually breaking the fourth wall whenever they do that. So really, not a whole lot different to Scarlet talking directly to us.

- As one of the letter writers mentions (and I love Bendis's devotion to the letters page) this is a method used by Shakespeare. I love Shakespeare and it's never bothered me when his characters do it so it shouldn't really bother me when Bendis's characters do. Not that big a deal really.

So even though I still think it probably is a bit of a gimmick, I find myself not minding it at all now.

And on the story - well I enjoyed it but it obviously feels like early days yet. I get the sense everything is going to escalate and it will be very interesting to experience that ride. I suspect it will be a wild one.

45Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" - Page 2 Empty Re: Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:32 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Yeah #2 was very good. What Scarlet did at the end was a bit unexpected, it lets us know how far she's willing to go. You can tell Bendis and Maleev are building this character and world from the ground up for the long haul.

46Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" - Page 2 Empty Re: Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:55 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Scarlet #3

Interesting. I don't know that I saw much new from last issue. The thing I struggled with a bit was that I didn't see that Scarlet actually convinced Brandon. I don't feel Bendis convinced me that she'd convinced Brandon to get on board with committing these acts.

As usual the art was great.

Huge amount of text (which is all great in my opinion) at the back and I thought one letter in particular was interesting - the one about what differentiates Scarlet from just another character and it appears next issue we start to see. And I think what it is, is that she's an agitator. Sure she got her revenge but it's a bit more than that. Whereas the Punisher is not out to get the public on board or joining in on what he's doing I think that's exactly what Scarlet's going to be up to.

The problem will be stopping her whole idea going down the tubes when too many nutcases climb on board her bandwagon which is inevitable.

47Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" - Page 2 Empty Re: Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:58 am

Spazzy

Spazzy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm liking it Smile

http://comixbookgurl.blogspot.com/

48Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" - Page 2 Empty Re: Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:21 am

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The last couple pages of issue 3 really suprised me. I don't know why, but I just didn't expect her to start picking off cops like that.

49Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" - Page 2 Empty Re: Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:35 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:Scarlet #3

Interesting. I don't know that I saw much new from last issue. The thing I struggled with a bit was that I didn't see that Scarlet actually convinced Brandon. I don't feel Bendis convinced me that she'd convinced Brandon to get on board with committing these acts.

As usual the art was great.

Huge amount of text (which is all great in my opinion) at the back and I thought one letter in particular was interesting - the one about what differentiates Scarlet from just another character and it appears next issue we start to see. And I think what it is, is that she's an agitator. Sure she got her revenge but it's a bit more than that. Whereas the Punisher is not out to get the public on board or joining in on what he's doing I think that's exactly what Scarlet's going to be up to.

The problem will be stopping her whole idea going down the tubes when too many nutcases climb on board her bandwagon which is inevitable.

Very astute analysis buddy.

50Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" - Page 2 Empty Re: Bendis and Maleev's "Scarlet" Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:49 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

#4 was solid but more of a "set up" issue. With Scarlet showing up at the rally at the end, the next issue should be crazy. The revolution is beginning...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum