The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Avengers: The Children's Crusade

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Avengers: The Children's Crusade on Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:53 pm

Bigtymin504

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=25808

Allan Heinberg appeared on video to announce "Avengers: The Children's Crusade" – the follow up to "Young Avengers" by the entire original creative team including artist Jimmy Cheung. The bi-monthly, nine-issue limited series has seen six issues written already, and Heinberg promised that a cataclysmic event involving Wiccan forces him to find the Scarlet Witch and try to redeem her. He will find her, and the series will not only include the full cast of the Young Avengers as well as all the other Avengers teams from the A-Vengers to the New Avenges but members of the mutant community. The story will build on plot threads from "House of M" on through today, and the writer was excited to present new, unseen interactions between characters.

I I love you Jimmy Cheung. Laughing

Last edited by Bigtymin504 on Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

2 Re: Avengers: The Children's Crusade on Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:58 pm

prescribeddrone

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
This really doesn't strike my interest at all, but the art is nice. I don't like the Young Avengers that much at all.

View user profile

3 Re: Avengers: The Children's Crusade on Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:46 pm

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Sweet!

I LOVE the Young Avengers. Having Heinberg and Cheung together is awesome.

When does this start?

View user profile

4 Re: Avengers: The Children's Crusade on Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:14 pm

dmahoney

Zombie
Zombie
Nice! Great time to be an Avengers fan

View user profile

5 Re: Avengers: The Children's Crusade on Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:58 pm

jaydee74

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
dmahoney wrote:Nice! Great time to be an Avengers fan
Seriously. I think there's about two dozen Avenger books coming out in the coming months.

View user profile

6 Re: Avengers: The Children's Crusade on Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:29 pm

Bigtymin504 wrote:http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=25808

Allan Heinberg appeared on video to announce "Avengers: The Children's Crusade" – the follow up to "Young Avengers" by the entire original creative team including artist Jimmy Cheung. The bi-monthly, nine-issue limited series has seen six issues written already, and Heinberg promised that a cataclysmic event involving Wiccan forces him to find the Scarlet Witch and try to redeem her. He will find her, and the series will not only include the full cast of the Young Avengers as well as all the other Avengers teams from the A-Vengers to the New Avenges but members of the mutant community. The story will build on plot threads from "House of M" on through today, and the writer was excited to present new, unseen interactions between characters.

I I love you Jimmy Cheung. Laughing

Redeem Scarlet Witch? I have a hard time with this. Scarlet Witch ent through a lot and had some issues, but at the time she went "no more mutants" she was in the right mind. Overall, I think it was mistake to let her powers reach this level and would have been better if the left it at mere probability altering. Honestly, I would prefer that some entity possessed her and amped her powers and drove her insane as a cause as opposed to her being a reality warper. They could have made some connection to the Void and so forth, providing greater continuity of story and theme. I fear that the consequences of her actions will be swept under the rug with this. In any case, I'll look at this series to see what they do about all of this.

View user profile

7 Re: Avengers: The Children's Crusade on Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:14 am

Bigtymin504

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

View user profile

8 Re: Avengers: The Children's Crusade on Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:17 am

Bigtymin504

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
The one thing that turns me off on this is it's 9 issues AND bi-monthly. Sheesh, that's at least 18 months! And I love Jimmy Cheung but he's not known to be on time either so this story could end up taking 2 years to finish...they can't expect to keep people's attention spans for that long. scratch

View user profile

9 Re: Avengers: The Children's Crusade on Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:23 am

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator
While I love that Wolverine image, I don't like the fact he's in the front center instead of one of the kids.

View user profile http://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

10 Re: Avengers: The Children's Crusade on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:28 pm

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Bigtymin504 wrote:The one thing that turns me off on this is it's 9 issues AND bi-monthly. Sheesh, that's at least 18 months! And I love Jimmy Cheung but he's not known to be on time either so this story could end up taking 2 years to finish...they can't expect to keep people's attention spans for that long. scratch

I'm so thrilled to have a new Young Avengers book that they could take 4 years to finish the story and they'd keep my attention.

View user profile

11 Re: Avengers: The Children's Crusade on Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:23 pm

ScarletW

Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder
First day here, and I find this post. Awesome! I am looking forward to this!

View user profile

12 Re: Avengers: The Children's Crusade on Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:26 pm

Bigtymin504

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
ScarletW wrote:First day here, and I find this post. Awesome! I am looking forward to this!

Welcome! And yes, this will be majorly awesome! Smile

View user profile

13 Re: Avengers: The Children's Crusade on Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:51 am

This is my most anticipated book of the year! I've been dying for more YA with Heinburg and Cheung.

Wasn't the original YA a bi-monthly book?

View user profile

14 Re: Avengers: The Children's Crusade on Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:48 am

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Avengers: The Children's Crusade #1

It's so awesome to have a new YA book by the original creative team.

I thought this was a pretty good setup issue. I wasn't blown away, but I wasn't disappointed either.

It's funny, not that I've started watching Grey's Anatomy, I can see the similarities in Allan Heinberg's writing for the show and his work on YA.

Last edited by Batman25JM on Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

15 Re: Avengers: The Children's Crusade on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:37 am

Bigtymin504

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Avengers: The Children's Crusade

Great issue. There was a lot of exposition at the beginning, but that's to be expected after such a long drought of Heinberg's Young Avengers goodness. Man, has he created some rich characters. Each one is exploding with a personality of their own and their dynamic together is just perfect. I like the parallels we're seeing between Wiccan and Scarlet Witch too. And love that last page!

While it's a shame we have to wait two months between issues, it all seems worth it after seeing Jimmy Cheung's art again. Action, exposition, facial expressions, movement, splash pages, superpowers, you name it and he does it well. Just gorgeous stuff man.

View user profile

16 Re: Avengers: The Children's Crusade on Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:15 am

Aussiemandias

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I got to tell you guys, I did not enjoy Heinberg's writing much on this issue. Just didn't grab me. I think it's kind of mediocre. I kind of struggled with the motivation for some of what the characters were saying and doing. Almost like he's trying too hard to sell us that these are teenagers.

Anyway, none of that matters to me because Cheung is one of the few artists that I'll buy comics for no matter what the writing. Damn his stuff is gorgeous.

I'm actually really happy with these bi-monthly books Marvel is putting out using artists who are usually slow. This is a great way to utilise these creators and bring their books out on time.

Bigtymin504 wrote:Avengers: The Children's Crusade
While it's a shame we have to wait two months between issues, it all seems worth it after seeing Jimmy Cheung's art again. Action, exposition, facial expressions, movement, splash pages, superpowers, you name it and he does it well. Just gorgeous stuff man.

Also got to mention Ponsor's colouring which I thought was outstanding in this issue.

View user profile

17 Re: Avengers: The Children's Crusade on Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:10 am

jaydee74

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Considering this is a mini-series and the schedule of how often it's coming out, it seems to make the most amount of sense to wait for trade on this one.

View user profile

18 Re: Avengers: The Children's Crusade on Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:27 am

Lee

Administrator
Administrator

------------------------------------

Joshua wrote:If Panels On Pages is a clique, they're about as competent at managing a clique as Wizard is a comic book convention.
View user profile http://www.leerodriguez.net

19 Re: Avengers: The Children's Crusade on Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:26 pm

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Avengers: The Children's Crusade #2

I really really really enjoyed this issue. I'm enjoying the story, and I just LOVE the Young Avengers.

The art was gorgeous.

The errors of Steve being in his Cap costume and Tony in his old suit don't really bug me. Sure, it shouldn't have happened, but it doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the book. For a minute I was wondering if it would turn out that the Avengers shown in the book aren't the real Avengers but some kind of impostures or illusions or something. It was mainly because of Wolverine's semi extreme behavior. If that were the case (though now I don't think it will be) it would help explain the inconsistencies.

View user profile

20 Re: Avengers: The Children's Crusade on Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:27 am

Aussiemandias

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Batman25JM wrote:Avengers: The Children's Crusade #2

I really really really enjoyed this issue. I'm enjoying the story, and I just LOVE the Young Avengers.

The art was gorgeous.

The errors of Steve being in his Cap costume and Tony in his old suit don't really bug me. Sure, it shouldn't have happened, but it doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the book. For a minute I was wondering if it would turn out that the Avengers shown in the book aren't the real Avengers but some kind of impostures or illusions or something. It was mainly because of Wolverine's semi extreme behavior. If that were the case (though now I don't think it will be) it would help explain the inconsistencies.
I hope that's the case because Wolverine didn't ring true to me at all.

Got to say I'm now only getting this for the art. I don't like Heinberg's storytelling or dialogue. In fact some of the dialogue is downright cringeworthy - "Is that a guitar case or are you just happy to see me". shake my head Seriously not good. And disguising everyone as characters from Sound of Music?

Hmmm...one more issue and the art may not be enough.

View user profile

21 Re: Avengers: The Children's Crusade on Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:20 pm

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
^I do agree about some of the dialogue. That guitar case line was just stupid. I'm still enjoying the book though. Maybe it's because the last few YA books were so awful, this seems great in comparison. It definitely isn't as good as Heinberg's first YA run.

View user profile

22 Re: Avengers: The Children's Crusade on Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:41 am

Bigtymin504

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I don't agree with you guys on the dialogue. I think Heinberg has a great grasp on these kids, not to mention Magneto and Pietro. The moments between Mags, Pietro, Wiccan, and Speed were classic. Surprising last page too! Great story and gorgeous art.

View user profile

23 Re: Avengers: The Children's Crusade on Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:28 pm

Bigtymin504

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
#3 was okay, but not a lot happened. I'm still enjoying seeing the dynamic between Maneto and his new found grandkids. Not to mention their uncle Pietro. The end was pretty crazy though...we'll see what Doom is up to here.

And again, art is just ridiculously awesome.

View user profile

24 Re: Avengers: The Children's Crusade on Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:01 pm

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I actually quite enjoyed issue #3. I don't really know why. Not a lot happened, but I really did like it.

The continuity problems are still infuriating. Now not only do we have Steve in his Cap outfit and Tony in his Extremis armor (though since that's my favorite Iron Man armor I actually don't mind seeing more of it), but we also have Wonder Man, and that just doesn't mesh well with his appearances in Bendis' Avengers book.

Something seems off with the adult Avengers. Wolverine seems more claw happy than he should. I wonder if there's something going on.

The art is just beyond beautiful. Jim Cheung is an art god.

View user profile

25 Re: Avengers: The Children's Crusade on Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:50 am

Batman25JM

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Avengers: The Children's Crusade #4

Something else has to be going on here. Either this is all in Wiccan's head or some magic shit or something. I refuse to believe this is just the regular world. Wolverine is way too extreme in this book. He's way too willing to kill Wanda. Sure, he's got an animalistic side, and she is responsible for wiping out most of the mutant race, but he's still too aggressive.

The story was just meh, but I dug the art.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum