Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Signatures and crazy long posts

+13
Lord PaulVincent
Bigtymin504
comicgeekelly
Foxy
Paroxysm
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Joshua
Silent K
Denim
Chi-Town Spidey
krpykrwly
Mnemosis
elijahdprophet
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Signatures and crazy long posts Empty Signatures and crazy long posts Fri May 07, 2010 4:48 pm

elijahdprophet

elijahdprophet
PoP! Brewmaster
PoP! Brewmaster

Look, first off, I don't want to be a kill joy, I like funny goofy sigs as much as the next guy, but this is getting ridiculous.

There are a few sigs out there that are making threads a pain in the ass to read. I don't want to call anyone out, and I know I have a substantial signature myself, but if you poke around you will see some posters whose signatures are hundreds of pixels long.

file size isn't really an issue anymore, with high speed and all that, but when you are talking 3 300x400 images stacked on each other that is getting out of hand. Single line posts are now taking up an entire screen on a laptop or smaller desktop pc.

Should there be a software enforced limit on these, or should there be a forum policy regarding pixel dimensions and signatures?

Another issue I have noticed is a large amount of white space under a single line post. This seems related to the information in the sidebar, the more info someone has entered there the more screen real estate their posts take up.

What do you all think?

2Signatures and crazy long posts Empty Re: Signatures and crazy long posts Fri May 07, 2010 4:49 pm

elijahdprophet

elijahdprophet
PoP! Brewmaster
PoP! Brewmaster

Here is an example of a one line post. look how much space there is before my sig.

3Signatures and crazy long posts Empty Re: Signatures and crazy long posts Fri May 07, 2010 4:59 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

Yes? I don't think there's much we can do about this, unfortunately, short of moving to a whole new host, which we're not prepared to do. Then again, maybe I'm wrong.

4Signatures and crazy long posts Empty Re: Signatures and crazy long posts Fri May 07, 2010 4:59 pm

krpykrwly

krpykrwly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Hear, hear.

I just think some better organization of images in a signature (i.e. placing them on the same line, resizing) can go a long way in alleviating a lot of these issues.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

5Signatures and crazy long posts Empty Re: Signatures and crazy long posts Fri May 07, 2010 5:01 pm

krpykrwly

krpykrwly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Mnemosis wrote:Yes? I don't think there's much we can do about this, unfortunately, short of moving to a whole new host, which we're not prepared to do. Then again, maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah? Why don't you be a fucking mod and run some shit up in dis place? ninja

6Signatures and crazy long posts Empty Re: Signatures and crazy long posts Fri May 07, 2010 5:07 pm

elijahdprophet

elijahdprophet
PoP! Brewmaster
PoP! Brewmaster

I hate pointing out a problem without a solution soooo

Some code options that will cut sigs off after a certain pixel height

And

Some template code options for cutting out the white space

7Signatures and crazy long posts Empty Re: Signatures and crazy long posts Fri May 07, 2010 5:07 pm

Chi-Town Spidey

Chi-Town Spidey
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

krpykrwly wrote:
Mnemosis wrote:Yes? I don't think there's much we can do about this, unfortunately, short of moving to a whole new host, which we're not prepared to do. Then again, maybe I'm wrong.

ooooooooooooooooooooooo....he is calling you out, Jason! Laughing

https://www.facebook.com/people/Chi-Town-Spidey/1331652244

8Signatures and crazy long posts Empty Re: Signatures and crazy long posts Fri May 07, 2010 5:10 pm

Denim

Denim
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I think folks just need to use some common sense, resizing as well as moving them so that they are not so on top of each other.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/theusernameiwantedformyprofile

9Signatures and crazy long posts Empty Re: Signatures and crazy long posts Fri May 07, 2010 5:10 pm

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

I wouldn't be opposed to a Sig Limit...I totally get where you're coming from , ELI.

How about a maximum sig height of 500 pixels? Until it becomes an issue, I don't see the point in restricting the Width of a total sig...just as long as it doesn't fuck up someone's screen, yknow?

10Signatures and crazy long posts Empty Re: Signatures and crazy long posts Fri May 07, 2010 5:11 pm

krpykrwly

krpykrwly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Chi-Town Spidey wrote:
krpykrwly wrote:

ooooooooooooooooooooooo....he is calling you out, Jason! Laughing

Signatures and crazy long posts Smokebombfail

11Signatures and crazy long posts Empty Re: Signatures and crazy long posts Fri May 07, 2010 5:16 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'll totally be a killjoy. Some people have signatures with images stacked on top of one another where they could just as easily be side by side. And even then those images could stand to be smaller. Also, some people use animated .gifs that may not present a problem to some users, but some people may take longer for their browser to load the image. A size limit on signatures, avatars, and Location (thanks to Wade being a jackass) is a perfectly reasonable thing for a message board to employ.

12Signatures and crazy long posts Empty Re: Signatures and crazy long posts Fri May 07, 2010 5:18 pm

elijahdprophet

elijahdprophet
PoP! Brewmaster
PoP! Brewmaster

Joshua wrote:I'll totally be a killjoy. Some people have signatures with images stacked on top of one another where they could just as easily be side by side. And even then those images could stand to be smaller. Also, some people use animated .gifs that may not present a problem to some users, but some people may take longer for their browser to load the image. A size limit on signatures, avatars, and Location (thanks to Wade being a jackass) is a perfectly reasonable thing for a message board to employ.

Josh living up the the Fort Awesome creed even better than I, the founder, could. You complete me.

13Signatures and crazy long posts Empty Re: Signatures and crazy long posts Fri May 07, 2010 5:34 pm

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

More like Fort Killjoy.

14Signatures and crazy long posts Empty Re: Signatures and crazy long posts Fri May 07, 2010 5:44 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

If there is an issue with a sig, just take it to the attention of the mods and they'll handle it (much better than I've seen some regular members do).

If something bothers you, just ask the person nicely to change it (people always seem to forget other people deserve basic human dignity). Explain the issue and see what happens. Chances are they willl either comply or were thinking the same thing.

I think most of the people in this thread are being big babies and nothing more. I don't see what the issue here is.

Joshua wrote:I'll totally be a killjoy. Some people have signatures with images stacked on top of one another where they could just as easily be side by side. And even then those images could stand to be smaller. Also, some people use animated .gifs that may not present a problem to some users, but some people may take longer for their browser to load the image. A size limit on signatures, avatars, and Location (thanks to Wade being a jackass) is a perfectly reasonable thing for a message board to employ.

Jackass? Seriously? I don't often take you seriously Josh but where do you come off saying things like that about people? And people condone this? The mods condone this? Josh, take your irritation and shove it up your ass.

I've been trying to be nice here and less bothersome than I can be on these boards but it seems like there's no point to that is there. Fine. Rolling Eyes

You and T-matts were the first people to even mention having a problem. You asked for me to change it, I responded nicely that I'd give it thought, and I ended up changing within minutes of you asking me. And now you come here and insult me like I fucked your mother or something, and somehow I'm a jackass. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, Pop's finest. Rolling Eyes

15Signatures and crazy long posts Empty Re: Signatures and crazy long posts Fri May 07, 2010 5:50 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

^ This.

16Signatures and crazy long posts Empty Re: Signatures and crazy long posts Fri May 07, 2010 5:53 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

Mostly.

You WERE kind of a jackass for doing that in the first place, but you took it down with a quickness, so there's no reason to call you out for it.

17Signatures and crazy long posts Empty Re: Signatures and crazy long posts Fri May 07, 2010 5:56 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Mnemosis wrote:Mostly.

You WERE kind of a jackass for doing that in the first place, but you took it down with a quickness, so there's no reason to call you out for it.

Honestly, I didn't think I was doing anything wrong or bothering anyone. I operate under the impression that my posts are largely ignored. I had that for a good week or two (maybe more) and no one said anything to me. I assumed no one cared. I don't think it warrented bing called a jackass or anything.

18Signatures and crazy long posts Empty Re: Signatures and crazy long posts Fri May 07, 2010 5:57 pm

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

Seriously....can everyone stop being dicks? SERIOUSLY.

19Signatures and crazy long posts Empty Re: Signatures and crazy long posts Fri May 07, 2010 5:57 pm

elijahdprophet

elijahdprophet
PoP! Brewmaster
PoP! Brewmaster

So jackass is out but big babies is in? Alright, let me make note of that in my how to act towards people on the internet... hmm

If the consensus is that things will be handled on a case by case basis then fine, but having some consistency and limits in place seems like a better solution to me.

20Signatures and crazy long posts Empty Re: Signatures and crazy long posts Fri May 07, 2010 6:02 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

elijahdprophet wrote:So jackass is out but big babies is in? Alright, let me make note of that in my how to act towards people on the internet... hmm

I used that term because, as I indicated in the part where I responded to Josh, I was not happy with what he said and indicated I stopped playing nice. That was a bit of that showing. I do find it funny you are trying to defend his use of jackass. Me using "big baby" was wrong. Fine. I can own up to that. He should not go around calling people names like that for unwarrented reasons.

elijahdprophet wrote:If the consensus is that things will be handled on a case by case basis then fine, but having some consistency and limits in place seems like a better solution to me.

There already are limits on avatars and sigs. You're simply asking for more limits, which seems pointless.

Last edited by Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty on Fri May 07, 2010 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

21Signatures and crazy long posts Empty Re: Signatures and crazy long posts Fri May 07, 2010 6:03 pm

Paroxysm

Paroxysm
Zombie
Zombie

There should be an option to view or not view everyone's sig. 90% of sigs I see are too big.

https://www.facebook.com/people/Matt-Marshall/679612060#!/profile

22Signatures and crazy long posts Empty Re: Signatures and crazy long posts Fri May 07, 2010 6:06 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Paroxysm wrote:There should be an option to view or not view everyone's sig. 90% of sigs I see are too big.

This idea would work well. I think there should be an Ignore post option like in WUMB also.

23Signatures and crazy long posts Empty Re: Signatures and crazy long posts Fri May 07, 2010 6:11 pm

elijahdprophet

elijahdprophet
PoP! Brewmaster
PoP! Brewmaster

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:
elijahdprophet wrote:If the consensus is that things will be handled on a case by case basis then fine, but having some consistency and limits in place seems like a better solution to me.

There already are limits on avatars and sigs. You're simply asking for more limits, which seems pointless.

By default there are limits to how much text can appear in a sig, obviously there are not limists on the size of linked images, or this would not even be a discussion.

Other options include a once per page signature mod installed, or the above suggestion of letting users turn off sigs.

24Signatures and crazy long posts Empty Re: Signatures and crazy long posts Fri May 07, 2010 6:13 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:
He should not go around calling people names like that for unwarrented reasons.

If people are going to joke around on here and call each other names, I'm fine with that. You're all fucking assholes, learn to live with that fact.

But, Joshua - or anyone, for that matter, if you're starting a post with the tone of "I'm more than happy to be a dick," do NOT call people names therein. It indicates that you are NOT joking, and that's not going to be tolerated.

And, to that point, when someone's general demeanor is that of "I don't care what anyone thinks, I'll say whatever the fuck I want," then the "I was just joking" excuse is a little hard to swallow, ever.

By the same token, if someone calls you a jackass or a douchebag or a turd on these message boards, assume they're joking and brush it off. If it really bothers you, PM them and ask them not to. If they get malicious with it, PM a mod or admin.

We have a great community. Don't fuck it up dickwads.

25Signatures and crazy long posts Empty Re: Signatures and crazy long posts Fri May 07, 2010 6:13 pm

Foxy

Foxy
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Paroxysm wrote:There should be an option to view or not view everyone's sig. 90% of sigs I see are too big.
I like this idea. There are a few that I find annoying because of size and, depending where I'm at, take forever to load.

I hate gif avatars too, but that's probably just me. tongue

http://www.foxyart.net

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum