The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Avengers Prime

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Avengers Prime on Mon May 24, 2010 3:23 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja


http://comics.ign.com/articles/108/1089277p4.html

Writer: Brian Bendis
Artist: Alan Davis
Release Date: June 2, 2010
[Note: Project is Bi-Monthly]
Lead Characters: Steve Rogers, Iron Man, Thor

Editor Commentary: "In the wake of Siege, everybody knows that Iron Man, Thor and Steve Rogers all have some fences to mend, and in this series we're going to see how these three can ever find a way back to the friendship they once had… or at least to the point where they can get along. Brian and Alan are pulling out all the stops for a fantastic, world-spanning adventure that illustrates how these three go from the end of Siege to the beginning of Avengers #1" - Tom Brevoort

View user profile

2 Re: Avengers Prime on Mon May 24, 2010 3:30 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
preview





Would be funny to come up with what Steve and Tony are arguing about... *cough*Wade*cough* Laughing

View user profile

3 Re: Avengers Prime on Thu May 27, 2010 3:11 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

View user profile

4 Re: Avengers Prime on Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:18 am

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Issue #1

Even if this was a terrible story (which it wasn't) the art was worth the price of admission alone. Beautiful work from Alan Davis. I loved it.

On top of the art I enjoyed the story so far as well. You can see where this story is going and I think it will be fun. I particularly enjoyed Steve Rogers in the dark elves' (if that's what they are) tavern beating the crap out of them all. "Well I misread the room entirely" was a pretty funny line.

I'm also glad Tony called Steve out over that line about maybe not letting him keep the Iron Man armour. That comment didn't really gel for me with what Steve has previously stood for.

All up this was an enjoyable read and looked great. Looking forward to the upcoming issues.

View user profile

5 Re: Avengers Prime on Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:02 am

shiky800

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
i thought this issue was a great read and i am really looking forward to the next issue. i agree the best oart of the issue was with steve and the dark elves. and the look on his face at the end of the fight when he found a hsield was great. I am really looking forward to the next issue

View user profile

6 Re: Avengers Prime on Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:08 am

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Aussiemandias wrote:Issue #1

Even if this was a terrible story (which it wasn't) the art was worth the price of admission alone. Beautiful work from Alan Davis. I loved it.

On top of the art I enjoyed the story so far as well. You can see where this story is going and I think it will be fun. I particularly enjoyed Steve Rogers in the dark elves' (if that's what they are) tavern beating the crap out of them all. "Well I misread the room entirely" was a pretty funny line.

I'm also glad Tony called Steve out over that line about maybe not letting him keep the Iron Man armour. That comment didn't really gel for me with what Steve has previously stood for.

All up this was an enjoyable read and looked great. Looking forward to the upcoming issues.

Yessir. Sooo right about the Alan Davis art here, gorgeous stuff. And the amazing thing is how fast he does it. I actually heard Bendis say that Davis already turned in all the pencils for this whole series, the only reason they're releasing it bi-monthly is because Davis specifically asked them to. I kinda wish he was doing the main Avengers book, he provides the same classic feel that JRJR does, but he's more polished imo and certainly less polarizing.

I really liked the story and character work too. Exploring the Nine Realms is the perfect way to put these three in an adventure together so they can work out their differences. I thought Bendis handled all their voices great too. I also loved the part with Steve and the Dark Elves, and Tony fixing his clunky armor lol. Great reveal at the end too. Wink

View user profile

7 Re: Avengers Prime on Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:42 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I really enjoyed the first issue.

Steve just kicked ass. Steve's one of my favorite comic characters, and I LOVED him as Captain America, but I'm honestly loving him even more as just Captain Steve Rogers. I agree that the "Well I misread the room entirely" was a really funny line (and my favorite line of the issue).

View user profile

8 Re: Avengers Prime on Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:03 pm

jaydee74

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Read the first issue. Meh. I wasn't impressed with the way Steve Rogers was drawn.

View user profile

9 Re: Avengers Prime on Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:14 am

prescribeddrone

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I'm going to trade wait this since it isn't * that urgent*, just a side story and it's bi monthly.

View user profile

10 Re: Avengers Prime on Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:49 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
jaydee74 wrote:Read the first issue. Meh. I wasn't impressed with the way Steve Rogers was drawn.

Hm really? I thought Davis gave him quite a commanding presence, and spot on facial expressions. scratch

View user profile

11 Re: Avengers Prime on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:26 am

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Avengers Prime #1

Although I find myself the only critic of Bendis' "voice" of Captain Rogers here--sounds almost too..British?--you've got to appreciate the writer giving each of the Trinity their own distinction. I loved how Civil War was addressed despite the lack of Tony's memory, yet only lasted a page or two before Thor had enough. The Nine Realms became prevelant and each hero headed onto their own adventure.

And that's just the OK part.

Alan Davis adds yet another credible artist to the list of Avengers titles. It's almost a shame this is bi-monthly (this time referring to every other month, not twice a month) because just looking at this book is a spectacle in itself. Not all are going to be pleased with the standardized styling of Davis, yet I really wouldn't have it any other way.

4/5 Bags&Boards - Hopefully next time Steve rids of Brian Braddock's tone.

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

12 Re: Avengers Prime on Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:00 am

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
LOOSECANNON wrote:
It's almost a shame this is bi-monthly (this time referring to every other month, not twice a month) because just looking at this book is a spectacle in itself.
Bi-monthly never means twice a month. Semi-monthly is twice a month. I see that mistake a lot.

What do you mean Cap sounds British? I don't get that.

View user profile

13 Re: Avengers Prime on Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:30 pm

jaydee74

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Bigtymin504 wrote:
jaydee74 wrote:Read the first issue. Meh. I wasn't impressed with the way Steve Rogers was drawn.

Hm really? I thought Davis gave him quite a commanding presence, and spot on facial expressions. scratch
On a first read, for whatever reason, it just didn't do it for me. On a second glance, I see that maybe I was a bit harsh. Just not sure how I felt about this issue overall. I wanted to like it but it didn't do it for me and I'm not sure now why.

View user profile

14 Re: Avengers Prime on Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:57 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Aussiemandias wrote:
Bi-monthly never means twice a month. Semi-monthly is twice a month. I see that mistake a lot.

What do you mean Cap sounds British? I don't get that.


Yeah, like Brightest Day? lol!

and...

I think just the way Steve was all proper about everything and his slang differed from the way he came across in the other Avengers or Siege books...it's hard to explain...but there were lines I read from Steve that just "sounded" like they'd come out of a fellow Brit..I read Pete Wisdom and Captain Britain & MI13 issues and his slang reminded me of Cornell's "voice" lol

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

15 Re: Avengers Prime on Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:51 am

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
LOOSECANNON wrote:
Aussiemandias wrote:
Bi-monthly never means twice a month. Semi-monthly is twice a month. I see that mistake a lot.



Yeah, like Brightest Day? lol!


Has DC been calling Brightest Day bi-monthly?

Oh forget it - my obsessive compulsiveness is coming out by even worrying about this! Wink

View user profile

16 Re: Avengers Prime on Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:08 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Avengers Prime #2

More good stuff from this book. Great to see these 3 stuck in the 9 realms. Plus Alan Davis is just killing it on the art. Seriously, some of the best stuff I've seen from him. I'll say it again, I wish he was doing Avengers instead of JRJR, same classic vibe with a more crisp clean look.

View user profile

17 Re: Avengers Prime on Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:49 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Avengers Prime #2

This was just meh for me. It wasn't horrible, but it didn't do anything for me.

Not liking the art too much. It's very blah. It has a 60s/70s comic art look, and I'm not too big on most of the art from that time.

View user profile

18 Re: Avengers Prime on Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:53 pm

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Bigtymin504 wrote:Avengers Prime #2

More good stuff from this book. Great to see these 3 stuck in the 9 realms. Plus Alan Davis is just killing it on the art. Seriously, some of the best stuff I've seen from him. I'll say it again, I wish he was doing Avengers instead of JRJR, same classic vibe with a more crisp clean look.

I'm with you on the art - I think it's very good.

A couple of things bugged me about the story though (overall I'm enjoying it). Steve Rogers doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would cheat on his gf especially after just getting back to her after a near death experience. Yet that was what he was about to do. I didn't like that.

And the other thing is that all the writers at the moment seem a little confused about what exactly is going on with Asgard and the other realms. I realise it's set after this story but Hela's appearance here and what's appears to be going on with her doesn't entirely gel with her status in Thor.

I did like Bendis's use of the three similar conversations happening at the same time.

View user profile

19 Re: Avengers Prime on Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:47 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Aussiemandias wrote:And the other thing is that all the writers at the moment seem a little confused about what exactly is going on with Asgard and the other realms. I realise it's set after this story but Hela's appearance here and what's appears to be going on with her doesn't entirely gel with her status in Thor.

Yeah according to Bendis and Gillen (who retweeted it) on Twitter it will all gel once the stories are finished.

http://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/status/20417511403

So we'll see I guess...

View user profile

20 Re: Avengers Prime on Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:06 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Avengers Prime #3


I'm just not digging this book right now. Bendis is usually hit for me, but there have been a few misses with him, and this is one.

I just don't like the feel of the book, and the story is boring me.

I'll keep reading because I like Bendis, and mainly because there are only 2 issues left.

View user profile

21 Re: Avengers Prime on Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:02 pm

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Batman25JM wrote:Avengers Prime #3


I'm just not digging this book right now. Bendis is usually hit for me, but there have been a few misses with him, and this is one.

I just don't like the feel of the book, and the story is boring me.

I'll keep reading because I like Bendis, and mainly because there are only 2 issues left.

I'm still not minding it although I think it could have been a much better adventure when you consider the subject matter but, man, Bendis's jokey dialogue sometimes irritates me and this is one of those times.

View user profile

22 Re: Avengers Prime on Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:41 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
Avengers Prime #3

I actually don't mind the jokey dialogue because it contains self-awareness of it all, especially with Steve: "Jokes, really?" This is how Tony Stark speaks--even during serious matters (see the Iron Man movies)--and I believe Bendis has been improving every issue of Avengers or Avengers Prime on his take. If Fraction were ever to leave IM to concentrate on Thor, Bendis would not be a bad candidate considering how talky Stark is and how talky the writer can be. It's a good match.

Alan Davis' art is phenomenal. The Hel/Hela-driven plot right now contains no conflict, actually a pretty decent unintentional tie-in, so here's to hyping that continues, albeit unlikely.

4/5 from the kid

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

23 Re: Avengers Prime on Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:36 am

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Avengers Prime #5

This series disappointed me. Firstly, though, I really enjoyed Alan Davis's art for this series. I thought he did a great job.

However, I found the story to be disappointing. What I was keen to see as part of it was a bit more of a confrontation between Thor, Tony and Steve (and no, not a physical confrontation - that would just be boring) or at the very least some sort of discussion about the events of the last couple of years. Instead that all happened over a couple of pages in this last issue (and felt rushed) which didn't really cut it for me. Yeah, you could argue that they're men of action, etc but I'm just giving my point of view and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Also, I just find that whole thing with Steve Rogers and the elf woman to be absolute bullshit. No one is going to justify to me why a character like Steve Rogers would act that way when he's in a relationship with Sharon Carter. I just think Bendis is completely wrong on that piece of characterisation.

View user profile

24 Re: Avengers Prime on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:29 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
^Yeah the art was just fantastic. I thought the series was solid overall but yeah nothing to write home about. It was great to see Cap, Tony, and Thor kicking ass together again but there weren't many stand out moments like I had hoped. I'm sorta glad they didn't have a big sitdown talk with eachother about their problems (that's definitely not Thor's style imo maybe Cap and Tony) but maybe a little more heart to heart would've been nice.

As far as Steve messing around with the elf woman, yeah I don't think he'd do that with Sharon back home. I guess he figured, "hey I'm in another dimension..." Plus who among us could resist hot elf woman tail throwing herself at us? Laughing

View user profile

25 Re: Avengers Prime on Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:27 pm

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Bigtymin504 wrote:^Yeah the art was just fantastic. I thought the series was solid overall but yeah nothing to write home about. It was great to see Cap, Tony, and Thor kicking ass together again but there weren't many stand out moments like I had hoped. I'm sorta glad they didn't have a big sitdown talk with eachother about their problems (that's definitely not Thor's style imo maybe Cap and Tony) but maybe a little more heart to heart would've been nice.

As far as Steve messing around with the elf woman, yeah I don't think he'd do that with Sharon back home. I guess he figured, "hey I'm in another dimension..." Plus who among us could resist hot elf woman tail throwing herself at us? Laughing

I've never been able to resist hot elf women but it's Steve Rogers...he's so much better than us. Laughing

View user profile

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum