Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

DC Purists?

+10
rwe1138
Batman25JM
Administrator
Off_White_Lantern
G_Zatara
Jherek
Matt
shining knight
jaydee74
hrdwrkngXsoldier
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26DC Purists? - Page 2 Empty Re: DC Purists? Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:57 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Alrighty, thanks.

27DC Purists? - Page 2 Empty Re: DC Purists? Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:44 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

rwe1138 wrote:
jaydee74 wrote:Would I have loved a Green Lantern Kermit the Frog? That would have rocked and if I ever find one, that will be my new avatar.
DC Purists? - Page 2 180px-Green_lantern

Oh now that is cool. Make it your avatar Jaydee you just gotsta!

28DC Purists? - Page 2 Empty Re: DC Purists? Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:23 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I need my computer to come back from being repaired but that is my new avatar. Oh yes it is.

29DC Purists? - Page 2 Empty Re: DC Purists? Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:29 am

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

hrdwrkngXsoldier wrote:I'm doing a little write up on why people prefer the comic multi-verse that they do. I was wondering if there are any DC purist (meaning they don't read Marvel..idies are okay) on here that could answer a couple of questions. I know the other side of the story because I'm in that camp...just want to hear the other side of things.

I was for a few years.

http://blog.myspace.com/alucardbarnivous

30DC Purists? - Page 2 Empty Re: DC Purists? Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:45 am

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

hrdwrkngXsoldier wrote:just looking for a list of reasons why you are a DC guy over Marvel primarily. YOu know character strength, writing quality, penis size, stuff like that.

Back when I was reading:

1) Emphasis on continuity. I've been reading these books for a while and I know they don't lend themselves well to new readers, but... fuck that, I care about me! *ahem* If you write good stories, people will care enough to look shit up. They did it for thirty years before the internet was used by the average Joe and in this electronic world there's no excuse for why you can't read up on something you want to know more about. In any event, what option is there? I mean, look at the Ultimate universe and see how that worked out.

2) Death should be an important story element and not something thrown away. I felt DC had more respect with their material for a while but that has changed (which is one reason I stopped reading comics almost altogether).

3) Know your voice. This is a basic element of being a writer and characters shouldn't be changed because you can't write them. For example, Thor was taken out of the Avengers because BMB couldn't get a handle writing him. However, then he makes Dr. Doom talk like A Pimp Named Slickback. This has also changed. Look at what they did with Roy Harper if you want an example of that (but don't send me your therapist bills).

4) Building bridges. With House of M, Civil War, Annihilation, etc, it seemed like Marvel was tearing a lot of stuff down and burning it. DC, OTOH, seemed to be building towards something with Infinite Crisis, 52, Brave New World, etc, but then they pulled shit like Countdown and Cry for Justice.

5) Creator Appreciation. When Jemas ran Marvel, he shitted on 90% of the talent. When Quesada walked on, he was much easier but still pulled on a bit of that Jemas heat. DC scooped up a lot of talent in Jemas' wake and really seemed to paint themselves as being open to quality. However, Quesada seems to have really come full circle and now it's looking like DiDio is the second coming of Jemas.

31DC Purists? - Page 2 Empty Re: DC Purists? Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:56 am

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Tomer Soiker wrote:To me, they're one and the same and people are fool for claiming one is worst than the other, or the other way around.

Personally, I think they're the same for a while until one of them tries something new. If that new thing works, the other copies it and they become the same again.

32DC Purists? - Page 2 Empty Re: DC Purists? Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:57 am

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

jaydee74 wrote:I agree with you up to a certain point. I think the characters in the two companies make for different reading experiences. Also, the way the two universes are set up and how the characters are written make for different experiences. Think of it like this. Don't you think that "Civil War" done in the DC Universe would have a much different feel than it had in the Marvel Universe just as "Identity Crisis" would have had a different feel if done at Marvel? I'm not saying one is better than the other. That would just be stupid in my opinion. I do have a preference and when it comes down to it, DC has my favorite characters and that's why I prefer DC.

Good point. Makes me want to dig out JLA/Avengers. Laughing

33DC Purists? - Page 2 Empty Re: DC Purists? Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:58 am

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

^ Makes me want to burn my copy...

4) Building bridges. With House of M, Civil War, Annihilation, etc, it seemed like Marvel was tearing a lot of stuff down and burning it. DC, OTOH, seemed to be building towards something with Infinite Crisis, 52, Brave New World, etc, but then they pulled shit like Countdown and Cry for Justice.
This is another thing that bothers me about both companies: Over the last decade they both had central events and claimed to lead to something much bigger and satisfying. However, to this day it only seems the editors made up things on the way. I highly doubt Bendis had "Dark Reign" and "Siege" on his mind back in 2004 when he scripted "Avengers Assembled." When he claimed everything he's done comes to full circle in "Secret Invasion," I found holes in the story and even confronted him with them, but with no reply. I also doubt "Brightest Day" was something Johns planned back during "Infinite Crisis."

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

34DC Purists? - Page 2 Empty Re: DC Purists? Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:45 pm

Spazzy

Spazzy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I simply grew up on DC.. *cough* catwoman *cough* but now i read pretty much everything.. I do not discriminate between companies as long as I like the stories.

http://comixbookgurl.blogspot.com/

35DC Purists? - Page 2 Empty Re: DC Purists? Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:36 pm

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Tomer Soiker wrote:^ Makes me want to burn my copy...

Laughing

Tomer Soiker wrote:This is another thing that bothers me about both companies: Over the last decade they both had central events and claimed to lead to something much bigger and satisfying. However, to this day it only seems the editors made up things on the way. I highly doubt Bendis had "Dark Reign" and "Siege" on his mind back in 2004 when he scripted "Avengers Assembled." When he claimed everything he's done comes to full circle in "Secret Invasion," I found holes in the story and even confronted him with them, but with no reply. I also doubt "Brightest Day" was something Johns planned back during "Infinite Crisis."

Well, I meant it more as building a base for things to come than some sort of road map. I'm just saying with moves like making a new Atom and then killing him for no reason, it's really dumb.

36DC Purists? - Page 2 Empty Re: DC Purists? Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:14 am

BigSoupCan

BigSoupCan
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

I consider myself a DC guy who might dabble in marvel. I think I prefer DC cause I grew up on it more, and the heroes are just more epic. More iconic. More substance, especialy after I got turned on to some Joseph Campbell's work and drawing the parallels. DC has better villians too.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/?sk=nf

37DC Purists? - Page 2 Empty Re: DC Purists? Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:27 pm

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I started with DC because of Super Friends, moved to Marvel for the Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends cartoon, and went to DC because of Wizard magazine (Morrison's JLA which to led to Johns' JSA which led to Winick's Outsiders, etc, etc, etc). I gave Marvel a shot for a while with the Ultimate line and Smith's Spider-Man but the former didn't hook me and Smith's run... well, it stopped and so did my reading of Marvel. I tried Annihilation, NextWave, Agents of Atlas, and Invaders. Enjoyed NextWave and Invaders, Agents was okay, and Annihilation did little for me. The only DC I'm keeping up with in trade is Secret Six. I buy Hack/Slash, Bomb Queen, and Dynamo 5 in trade.

38DC Purists? - Page 2 Empty Re: DC Purists? Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:51 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Changed my avatar and I love it.

39DC Purists? - Page 2 Empty Re: DC Purists? Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:11 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

DC Purists? - Page 2 282468 It's so you.

40DC Purists? - Page 2 Empty Re: DC Purists? Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:38 pm

EireJack

EireJack
Cadet
Cadet

Barring their Semi Annual events, and the occasional three story ark, DC tends to tell stories concisely.
(this used to be why I followed Marvel over DC, but now it seems to have switched)

I enjoy classic tights and fights, I don't need to know about the personal problems or sexlives of my heroes.

Simple Powers leads to Simple Stories, Honestly, my faves are the nonpowered, Batman, Green Arrow, Question etc.
(I don't need a mutant with pheromones that make a man orgasms and exhausthimself who can also fly, who also has diamond hard skin, who also makes a blade that pokes a one inch whole in the time space continuum and is an empath)

HOW MANY SUPER HEROES DOES NEW YORK NEED?? Jesus you'd think at some point either A ) Manhattan would be entirely populated with super heroes and villains or B ) Spider-man and Thor would be arguing over a jaywalker at some point.

There's many other reasons, these are just a few.

41DC Purists? - Page 2 Empty Re: DC Purists? Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:41 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Jherek wrote:DC Purists? - Page 2 282468 It's so you.
Thanks. I pretty much fucking love it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum