Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Batman: The Widening Gyre

+2
krpykrwly
EireJack
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Batman: The Widening Gyre Empty Batman: The Widening Gyre Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:30 pm

EireJack

EireJack
Cadet
Cadet

Sorry if this a is a repost, but I was curious about this title and borrowed a few issues. Sweet Jesus this series is horrible. I really liked Kevin Smith's run on Green Arrow, and his current work with Green Hornet is, despite a couple character issues, pretty good. This series though might be the nail in his coffin at DC.

Also, I know it's lifted from a line in a Yeats poem, but "The Widening Gyre" sounds like a nickname you'd give the slutty girl from your high school.

2Batman: The Widening Gyre Empty Re: Batman: The Widening Gyre Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:13 pm

krpykrwly

krpykrwly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I love this review.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

3Batman: The Widening Gyre Empty Re: Batman: The Widening Gyre Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:51 am

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

krpykrwly wrote:I love this review.

And rebutted..

"there's no reason for this to take place at the Fortress of Solitude other than hey, it'd be kinda neat to see a picture of the Fortress of Solitude."

Let's see.. if you're trying to impress a girl and give her the night of her life (knowing it'll end with a marriage proposal and you want to boost your chances) and your friends just happen to be superheroes with some of the coolest stuff on the planet, is it really inconceivable for Bruce to call up Clark and say, "Hey buddy, I'm trying to impress my girl so I can propose, mind if I use the Fortress for a few hours?".. shit, I'd be calling Clark every week!

"Batman decides to smack Silver around a bit...but it's okay, because she understands that he did it because he loves her and thinks she might be a robot. This is all done, I swear to God, so that Batman can learn that not everyone is a robot. He has to learn to trust."

For anyone who's been reading Batman for, oh, the last decade or so.. they would know this is quintessential Bruce Wayne. Tower of Babel, OMAC's, hello? This is what Bruce does. He questions everything and trusts no one. To the point of ruining almost every friendship and relationship he's had. So when things are finally going right for Bruce and he's actually happy, of course he's going to question it.

"Anyway, he ends up cutting Silver's throat because Batman -- who, again, has learned to be an idiot for the purposes of this story -- decides to go ahead and bring Baphomet back to the Batcave and reveal both his secret identity and that of the girl he just asked to marry him. For the record, this happens about three pages after Baphomet talks about how he totally wants to kill super-villains, which I wouldn't think would endear you to Batman to the point where he'd bring you over to his anti-crime basement and reveal his identity"

Right, because Batman has never taken in someone with violent tendencies before. *Ahem* Catwoman, Jason Todd, Huntress, Jean Paul Valley, Damian Wayne, Cassandra Cain, etc.. Again, this is quintessential Bruce Wayne. He sees someone who wants to do good, but could use some guidance, and takes them under his wing. He's done it with all those people named above, why is it so odd that it happened here? Oh right, it's not.

And to be quite frank, it was an awesome scene. Truly, I never saw it coming and it works perfectly because that's the type of character Onomatopoeia is. Out of the mask, he's your typical average joe, which is exactly how Baphomet acted. There were no warning signs about him. So when Bruce turned his back and the next panel haunts him with the noise 'slllllllit' (or whatever), then seeing Onomatopoeia in his mask slicing Silver's throat.. it was a total "HOLY SHIT!" moment for me. So much in fact that it has me drooling for the next series.

"Not content to ruin his own comics, Smith flashes back to one of the pivotal moments of "Year One" and decides that you know what? This would be way better with Batman pissing himself."

I don't completely disagree with this, but then again, it's Kevin Smith. It's like reading a Mark Millar book, you know what you're getting yourself into. And for me, at the end of the day this was not what I would be remembering about the book.

Bottom line, the complaints about the sex and piss jokes are valid enough because it's the reviewers own personal taste. But these other points? These are just the ramblings of someone with blog who likes to hear himself talk.

4Batman: The Widening Gyre Empty Re: Batman: The Widening Gyre Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:43 am

BigSoupCan

BigSoupCan
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Yeah, I'm actually a pretty big Kevin Smith fan, love the movies, listen to all the podcasts on the smod network, and I must say this series is pretty awful. Smith says likes to get high and write this series. I believe him.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/?sk=nf

5Batman: The Widening Gyre Empty Re: Batman: The Widening Gyre Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:56 pm

Spazzy

Spazzy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I have nothing but hate for this story.. HATE filled RAGE

http://comixbookgurl.blogspot.com/

6Batman: The Widening Gyre Empty Re: Batman: The Widening Gyre Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:05 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I can't even say I have hateful rage with this story. Just a massive dose of underwhelming I don't give a shit about this story syndrome.

7Batman: The Widening Gyre Empty Re: Batman: The Widening Gyre Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:39 pm

Spazzy

Spazzy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

*sigh*

8Batman: The Widening Gyre Empty Re: Batman: The Widening Gyre Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:54 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spazzy wrote:*sigh*
It will be ok Spazzy.

9Batman: The Widening Gyre Empty Re: Batman: The Widening Gyre Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:43 am

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I dunno, there was nothing really special about the series month to month, but that last issue completely floored me. I really didn't see it coming and love that (especially considering we live in the internet age). I'm actually really looking forward to the next chapter

10Batman: The Widening Gyre Empty Re: Batman: The Widening Gyre Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:26 pm

Spazzy

Spazzy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I will admit, I didnt see that coming either.. but I still hated the series as a whole

11Batman: The Widening Gyre Empty Re: Batman: The Widening Gyre Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:29 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spazzy wrote:I will admit, I didnt see that coming either.. but I still hated the series as a whole

Heh, fair enough Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum