Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Official Horror Movie Thread

+16
Ska
supervenom
pumkinheadfan
Matt
ravezombie
melvinlikechris
Ric Magnum
Astro13Zombie
jestghost
Heytherejeffro
krpykrwly
shanhain
(._Y_.)
BlueMaxx
Demonweasel
Spaced4SimonPegg
20 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1The Official Horror Movie Thread Empty The Official Horror Movie Thread Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:40 pm

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Everyone knows I am a major horror geek and I know a lot of people on the forums are horror fans too. I figure I would start at thread where we could discuss different horror movies from all genres. We could even post lists of our best and worst, what your looking forward to seeing and what you want to avoid or you can give a review of a horror movie. Contribute anything and everything you like/dislike about horror. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I posted on both Facebook and Twitter my Top 10 Best/Worst in Horror. For those at missed it....

Top 10 Best in Horror

1.Jaws
2. The Descent
3. Halloween/The Thing (they are interchangable)
4. Frailty
5. American Werewolf in London
6. Trick r Treat
7. Hatchet
8. Night of the Living Dead
9. Aliens
10. The Devil's Rejects

Top 10 Worst in Horror

1.Halloween (RZ)
2.Halloween II (RZ)
3.The Hills Have Eyes 2 (remake)
4.Daybreakers
5.13 Ghosts
6.The Happening
7.Jennifer's Body
8.Cabin Fever 2
9.The Abandon
10.Aunt Rose

The above are just my opinions and my lists change every Halloween season. Very Happy

2The Official Horror Movie Thread Empty Re: The Official Horror Movie Thread Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:18 pm

Demonweasel

Demonweasel
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I still need to see Hatchet. Is that on Netflix streaming?

http://www.demonweasel.com

3The Official Horror Movie Thread Empty Re: The Official Horror Movie Thread Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:21 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Me too.

Love your "Best" list, Spaced. Frailty...more people need to see that. What an unsettling film.

4The Official Horror Movie Thread Empty Re: The Official Horror Movie Thread Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:16 am

(._Y_.)

(._Y_.)
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I love 13 ghosts Sad

5The Official Horror Movie Thread Empty Re: The Official Horror Movie Thread Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:41 pm

Demonweasel

Demonweasel
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Friend on twitter mentioned The People Under the Stairs. Always enjoyed that one.

You know what movie people like that I hate? Candyman. So dumb.

You know what movie was made better by the people I saw it in the theater with (even though it's still good)? Tales from the Darkside.

You know what movie I walked out on in the 5th grade because it was too gross scary and now am shamed for life? The Blob remake.

6The Official Horror Movie Thread Empty Re: The Official Horror Movie Thread Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:33 pm

shanhain

shanhain
Cadet
Cadet

Being a huge horror fan (mostly of the quirky and classic kind) I thought I'd chime in with my top favorites...

1. Romero's Dawn of the Dead
2. Neon Maniacs
3. Phantom of the Paradise
4. The Abominable Dr. Phibes
5. Carnival of Souls (1962)
6. House of Frankenstein
7. The Burning
8. My Bloody Valentine (Original)
9. The Thing
10. Dracula (1931)

One movie that is a guilty pleasure of mine is the remake of "Thirteen Ghosts". I always thought that the origins of the ghosts would make for awesome stories in the form of a "Masters of Horror" type of show.

Last edited by shanhain on Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

7The Official Horror Movie Thread Empty Re: The Official Horror Movie Thread Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:48 pm

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Lots of people love 13 Ghosts. I love the remake of Black Christmas which everyone hates. Laughing

I need to watch People Under the Stairs. I have only seen parts of it and those were on tv.

I just ordered from Amazon (who is having a very nice horror movie sale) Pet Semetary and Black Sheep.

I am probably going to go see Paranormal Activity 2 this weekend. I really didn't like the 1st one I am hoping they improved...I am not holding my breath Laughing

8The Official Horror Movie Thread Empty Re: The Official Horror Movie Thread Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:16 pm

krpykrwly

krpykrwly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shanhain wrote:\
2. Neon Maniacs
Everytime my family went to the video rental store, I'd look longingly at this VHS cover....
The Official Horror Movie Thread Neon-Maniacs-VHS-1
We never rented it. Crying or Very sad

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

9The Official Horror Movie Thread Empty Re: The Official Horror Movie Thread Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:25 pm

shanhain

shanhain
Cadet
Cadet

That video cover is classic! The first time I saw the movie was in college and that box cover is what drew me to the film. The town had one Mom and Pop video store and the biggest collection of horror movies I had ever seen at that point. That box was always present and I must have rented the damn thing close to 20 times over my college career. The DVD cover pales in comparison to the original artwork!

10The Official Horror Movie Thread Empty Re: The Official Horror Movie Thread Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:44 pm

Heytherejeffro

Heytherejeffro
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'd say most of my favorites are tied to certain experiences rather than the quality of the film:
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974 or whenever)
Gremlins
The Descent
Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight
Event Horizon
Pet Semetary
The Birds
The Thing
Frailty
Se7en (I count it as "horror", as it's amazing in a horrifying way)
If you discount Se7en, then I'd throw a bonus Blair Witch Project up there.

(No order)

https://www.facebook.com/heytherejeffro

11The Official Horror Movie Thread Empty Re: The Official Horror Movie Thread Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:31 pm

krpykrwly

krpykrwly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shanhain wrote:That video cover is classic! The first time I saw the movie was in college and that box cover is what drew me to the film. The town had one Mom and Pop video store and the biggest collection of horror movies I had ever seen at that point. That box was always present and I must have rented the damn thing close to 20 times over my college career. The DVD cover pales in comparison to the original artwork!
Fond memories although I'm pretty happy with the modern ways to choose movies.
I just added this to my Netflix queue. Very Happy

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

12The Official Horror Movie Thread Empty Re: The Official Horror Movie Thread Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:08 pm

Demonweasel

Demonweasel
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Heytherejeffro wrote:

Fuck yeah Demon Knight.

13The Official Horror Movie Thread Empty Re: The Official Horror Movie Thread Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:39 pm

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I love Demon Knight. When that guy gets his arm ripped off...awesome.

Seven is considered a horror movie and so is Silence of the Lambs. Although people make a good argument for both that they are a suspense/thriller movie no one really bats an eye when they are listed in a horror list.

I do agree that a spin off with the origins of the 13 Ghosts would be great.

14The Official Horror Movie Thread Empty Re: The Official Horror Movie Thread Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:57 pm

jestghost

jestghost
Pirate
Pirate

Top 10 Movies in Horror

1. The Anatomist (1961)
2. Cold Prey
3. House that Dripped Blood
4. Vampire Cirus
5. Black Sabbath (1963)
6. Black Sunday aka Mask of Satan
7. Suspiria
8. Night of the Living Dead (1963)
9. Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1920)
10. The City of the Dead aka Horror Hotel

I do like 1990 Night of the Living Dead directed by Tom Savini

I want to find a place to put in Bob Clark's Black Christmas because it's only slasher film who you don't know the killer and phone calls are coming from inside like in the film When a Stranger Calls. That film wasn't made yet and Halloween wouldn't of been made.

Known Fact: Instead of John Carpenter doing Halloween, he was going to do a sequel to Black Christmas.

A couple years ago Rob Zombie wrote a post on his myspace blog about doing another movie with The Firefly Family. People were wanting a prequel about Dr. Satan.

15The Official Horror Movie Thread Empty Re: The Official Horror Movie Thread Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:24 pm

Astro13Zombie

Astro13Zombie
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Can't pick just 10. Laughing

16The Official Horror Movie Thread Empty Re: The Official Horror Movie Thread Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:25 pm

Demonweasel

Demonweasel
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

jestghost wrote:

Really? I always kind of dug it, but maybe because I like Tony Todd & the chick that was Lyta Alexander was in it.

17The Official Horror Movie Thread Empty Re: The Official Horror Movie Thread Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:42 pm

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

jestghost wrote:Top 10 Movies in Horror

1. The Anatomist (1961)
2. Cold Prey
3. House that Dripped Blood
4. Vampire Cirus
5. Black Sabbath (1963)
6. Black Sunday aka Mask of Satan
7. Suspiria
8. Night of the Living Dead (1963)
9. Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1920)
10. The City of the Dead aka Horror Hotel

I want to find a place to put in Bob Clark's Black Christmas because it's only slasher film who you don't know the killer and phone calls are coming from inside like in the film When a Stranger Calls. That film wasn't made yet and Halloween wouldn't of been made.

Known Fact: Instead of John Carpenter doing Halloween, he was going to do a sequel to Black Christmas.

A couple years ago Rob Zombie wrote a post on his myspace blog about doing another movie with The Firefly Family. People were wanting a prequel about Dr. Satan.

I just couldn't get into Black Christmas but I love the remake...go figure. I would love to watch another movie about the Firefly clan.

18The Official Horror Movie Thread Empty Re: The Official Horror Movie Thread Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:12 pm

Ric Magnum

Ric Magnum
Pirate
Pirate

Pet Cemetary still scares the living shit out of me to this day. Shocked

19The Official Horror Movie Thread Empty Re: The Official Horror Movie Thread Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:40 pm

melvinlikechris

melvinlikechris
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Fave horror films include:

Dawn Of The Dead (1978)
Suspiria
The Thing
Rec
Eraserhead
The Haunting (1963)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1973)
Let The Right One In
Trick R Treat

The Exorcist, The Shining, The Omen and Rosemary's Baby are all overrated.

20The Official Horror Movie Thread Empty Re: The Official Horror Movie Thread Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:44 pm

ravezombie

ravezombie
Cadet
Cadet

In no particular order, top 10. This was easier said than done to come up with, just saying.:

-Session 9
-Silent Hill (and not because I'm a fan of the franchise. The movie was surprisingly good. Even without the Silent Hill title, I think it would have been able to stand on its own.)
-Paranormal Activity (Yes, I liked it. Yes, I'm looking forward to the second one :P )
-Colin
-The Shining
-The Poughkeepsie Tapes
- [REC] (the original Quarantine.)
-Aliens
-The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
-Psycho (1960)

http://dizzyclockwork.deviantart.com/

21The Official Horror Movie Thread Empty Re: The Official Horror Movie Thread Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:16 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

krpykrwly wrote: Neon Maniacs
shanhain wrote:
Have you guys seen or heard of a low-budget flick called Slashers? About a group of reality show contestants in this Japanese survival gameshow against these themed serial killers. It's nothing epic, but I liked it. And damn was it a fun idea. Needs to be remade with a better budget. Or a sequel of sorts or something.
The Official Horror Movie Thread SlashersPoster

Heytherejeffro wrote:Frailty
Se7en (I count it as "horror", as it's amazing in a horrifying way)
If you discount Se7en, then I'd throw a bonus Blair Witch Project up there.

(No order)
Se7en totally counts. It's the most realistic, plausible and one of the most unsettling scary movies I've seen. Spacey as John Doe...man, he plays a great villain.

Demonweasel wrote:
Heytherejeffro wrote:
Fuck yeah Demon Knight.
yes Very good film. Bordello of Blood was pretty disappointing, though.

Astro13Zombie wrote:Can't pick just 10. Laughing
It'll be difficult, but I'll try. Everyone seems to have picked most of the ones that'd make it to my top 10 list.

Demonweasel wrote:
jestghost wrote:

Really? I always kind of dug it, but maybe because I like Tony Todd & the chick that was Lyta Alexander was in it.
The remake was fun. I liked the ending a little better, though it did lose its resonance with Ben's death at the end. But you can blame that on the times it represented. Romero didn't intend for it to be social commentary, I think, despite what people took from it.

I like Tony Todd. I remember being terrified of Candyman when I was a kid. Not as much as Freddy or Chucky, but Candyman actually killed a kid in the first movie, so that stuck with me nights. Heh.

melvinlikechris wrote:Fave horror films include:

Suspiria
Rec
Let The Right One In

The Exorcist, The Shining, The Omen and Rosemary's Baby are all overrated.
It's still my mission to watch Suspiria.

Cool to see some love for REC & Let the Right One In. And also pointing out that Excorcist and the Omen series are not that great.

Shining is overrated, but justifiably, IMO. So much going on in that film.

ravezombie wrote:
--Silent Hill (and not because I'm a fan of the franchise. The movie was surprisingly good. Even without the Silent Hill title, I think it would have been able to stand on its own.)
-The Poughkeepsie Tapes
- [REC] (the original Quarantine.)
I hate that I haven't seen The Poughkeepsie Tapes. Looks so freaky.

Like seeing Silent Hill getting some love. It wasn't that bad.

Last edited by BlueMaxx on Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spel badd)

22The Official Horror Movie Thread Empty Re: The Official Horror Movie Thread Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:31 pm

shanhain

shanhain
Cadet
Cadet

BlueMaxx wrote:
krpykrwly wrote: Neon Maniacs
shanhain wrote:
Have you guys seen or heard of a low-budget flick called Slashers? About a group of reality show contestants in this Japanese survival gameshow against these themed serial killers. It's nothing epic, but I liked it. And damn was it a fun idea. Needs to be remade with a better budget. Or a sequel of sorts or something.
The Official Horror Movie Thread SlashersPoster

Saw Slashers a while ago and while I enjoyed it, I felt it was a little too rushed. I definitely gotta agree that it needs to be revisited and (you won't hear this from me often) re-made. I would even settle for a bigger budget sequel, or better yet a prequel that explains the origins of the show and the killers themselves.

23The Official Horror Movie Thread Empty Re: The Official Horror Movie Thread Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:34 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ I like that explanation-for-the-killers idea.

24The Official Horror Movie Thread Empty Re: The Official Horror Movie Thread Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:35 pm

(._Y_.)

(._Y_.)
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Here's my top 10 in no order whatsoever

They Live
13 Ghosts
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)
Jaws
The Evil Dead
The Shining
Event Horizon
Dawn of the Dead (remake)
Saw
Ghostbusters

25The Official Horror Movie Thread Empty Re: The Official Horror Movie Thread Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:00 am

jestghost

jestghost
Pirate
Pirate

The Official Horror Movie Thread 220px-Cold_Prey
I do like me a good slasher film. I think Cold Prey fits the bill for a modern one.

I couldn't stand Hatchet. Victor Crowley has the Jason Syndrome.

Last edited by jestghost on Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum