The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fear Itself

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

76 Re: Fear Itself on Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:29 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
LordD3r3k wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote: Think you'll give the prologue a shot, D? It ain't Bendis for once. Wink

Ha! I don't really have a strong feeling either way. The problem with committing to the series is that I no longer have any connection to the characters. That makes it hard to care what's happening in the story. If this does prove interesting enough, getting the Trade is always an option.

You need to reconnect with your former favorite Marvel characters man! lol

comicgeekelly wrote:Regardless of whether I check out the main book I will be buying the prologue because it sounds pretty damn awesome and Brubaker's writing it.

Speaking of Brubaker, why hasn't he written any of the event books?

Yeah I thought he was gonna be next in line. Especially since it seems like he's been building towards something big since the end of Cap Reborn, The Marvels Project, and now in Secret Avengers. I think he'll probably do the next one.



Last edited by Bigtymin504 on Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Avengers Assemble!)

View user profile

77 Re: Fear Itself on Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:06 pm

shiky800

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Bigtymin504 wrote:
LordD3r3k wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote: Think you'll give the prologue a shot, D? It ain't Bendis for once. Wink

Ha! I don't really have a strong feeling either way. The problem with committing to the series is that I no longer have any connection to the characters. That makes it hard to care what's happening in the story. If this does prove interesting enough, getting the Trade is always an option.

You need to reconnect with your former favorite Marvel characters man! lol

comicgeekelly wrote:Regardless of whether I check out the main book I will be buying the prologue because it sounds pretty damn awesome and Brubaker's writing it.

Speaking of Brubaker, why hasn't he written any of the event books?

Yeah I thought he was gonna be next in line. Especially since it seems like he's been building towards something big since the end of Cap Reborn, The Marvels Project, and now in Secret Warriors. I think he'll probably do the next one.
I think you mean secret avengers not secret warriors

View user profile

78 Re: Fear Itself on Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:14 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
^Crap. Yes I do. Laughing

View user profile

79 Re: Fear Itself on Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:55 pm

LordD3r3k

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Bigtymin504 wrote:You need to reconnect with your former favorite Marvel characters man! lol


Heh, indeed. If anything I'd like to get back into the X-men, though from how those big arcs have ended, I'd probably be more frustrated because it almost requires you to pick up more books to get the whole story.

One other thing that makes me hesitate about this new event is that I can't shake this nagging feeling that most of what we'll see will be illusions meant to break down the heroes. Meaning that all the really cool shit will be fake and won't truly impact anything. Kinda like a Millar book.. lots of shock and awe, little meaning. Laughing

View user profile

80 Re: Fear Itself on Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:46 am

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
LordD3r3k wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:You need to reconnect with your former favorite Marvel characters man! lol


Heh, indeed. If anything I'd like to get back into the X-men, though from how those big arcs have ended, I'd probably be more frustrated because it almost requires you to pick up more books to get the whole story.

One other thing that makes me hesitate about this new event is that I can't shake this nagging feeling that most of what we'll see will be illusions meant to break down the heroes. Meaning that all the really cool shit will be fake and won't truly impact anything.

I think you are 100% spot on with this.

Can I suggest X-Factor as an X-book that's not too tied into X-Men continuity.

View user profile

81 Re: Fear Itself on Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:16 pm

Mnemosis

avatar
The Robert Frost of Poop
LordD3r3k wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:You need to reconnect with your former favorite Marvel characters man! lol


Heh, indeed. If anything I'd like to get back into the X-men, though from how those big arcs have ended, I'd probably be more frustrated because it almost requires you to pick up more books to get the whole story.

One other thing that makes me hesitate about this new event is that I can't shake this nagging feeling that most of what we'll see will be illusions meant to break down the heroes. Meaning that all the really cool shit will be fake and won't truly impact anything. Kinda like a Millar book.. lots of shock and awe, little meaning. Laughing

While I don't doubt that you're right about the illusions, I would suggest that if they are handled correctly, they could be great. For instance...

What if Cyclops sees himself turning into Magneto, as suggested by the poster? We would naturally assume that if this is his greatest fear, the story will wrap with him resolving to change. Be a kinder, gentler leader. Right?

What if the resolution is Cyclops coming to peace with the need for him to be "that guy?" Or handing over leadership of Utopia to Magneto, because he knows that's the kind of leader they need, and he doesn't WANT to be "that guy."

To me, the potential here isn't for big shocking moments - though we'll get those, courtesy of the illusions. The potential here is for VERY interesting quiet character moments. And I will ALWAYS choose those over "Marvel character X gets ripped in half" anyways.

I can just see a whole bunch of different and extremely interesting possibilities here. Doesn't mean any will come to pass, but at least they exist.


------------------------------------
View user profile

82 Re: Fear Itself on Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:32 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
LordD3r3k wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:You need to reconnect with your former favorite Marvel characters man! lol


Heh, indeed. If anything I'd like to get back into the X-men, though from how those big arcs have ended, I'd probably be more frustrated because it almost requires you to pick up more books to get the whole story.

One other thing that makes me hesitate about this new event is that I can't shake this nagging feeling that most of what we'll see will be illusions meant to break down the heroes. Meaning that all the really cool shit will be fake and won't truly impact anything. Kinda like a Millar book.. lots of shock and awe, little meaning. Laughing

Yeah the current over-arching story of the X-verse can feel a bit daunting to just jump back into. Its been solid but my problem with it is it feels like its been stagnant. I mean, now that Hope's back I say make her do something huge! There's really no need to have a slow build with that story anymore.

If you want a no strings attached X-book (to add to Aussie's X-Factor suggestion, which I have to start reading myself) maybe you should try Uncanny X-Force. Its been pretty great, plus its dealing with a classic fan favorite villain Apocalypse!

In terms of Fear Itself having too many of those fake out "illusion" sequences, I really hope that's not the case too. That happens too often in comics...except when Millar does it it's totally badass and the greatest thing since sliced bread! Laughing Laughing

View user profile

83 Re: Fear Itself on Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:34 pm

With all this illusion talk, is Mysterio the new god of fear?


------------------------------------
View user profile

84 Re: Fear Itself on Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:33 pm

LordD3r3k

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Mnemosis wrote:While I don't doubt that you're right about the illusions, I would suggest that if they are handled correctly, they could be great. For instance...

What if Cyclops sees himself turning into Magneto, as suggested by the poster? We would naturally assume that if this is his greatest fear, the story will wrap with him resolving to change. Be a kinder, gentler leader. Right?

What if the resolution is Cyclops coming to peace with the need for him to be "that guy?" Or handing over leadership of Utopia to Magneto, because he knows that's the kind of leader they need, and he doesn't WANT to be "that guy."

To me, the potential here isn't for big shocking moments - though we'll get those, courtesy of the illusions. The potential here is for VERY interesting quiet character moments. And I will ALWAYS choose those over "Marvel character X gets ripped in half" anyways.

I can just see a whole bunch of different and extremely interesting possibilities here. Doesn't mean any will come to pass, but at least they exist.

You're absolutely right, that definitely could be a possibility. And maybe that kind of development will happen, but I won't be holding my breath

Bigtymin504 wrote:
If you want a no strings attached X-book (to add to Aussie's X-Factor suggestion, which I have to start reading myself) maybe you should try Uncanny X-Force. Its been pretty great, plus its dealing with a classic fan favorite villain Apocalypse!

Y'know, if I did start reading again, it probably would be X-force. I did read the first arc and enjoyed it for the most part.

except when Millar does it it's totally badass and the greatest thing since sliced bread! Laughing Laughing

BOOM! Laughing

View user profile

85 Re: Fear Itself on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:48 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

View user profile

86 Re: Fear Itself on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:43 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
thanks!

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

87 Re: Fear Itself on Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:14 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja


http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=30329

FEAR ITSELF: THE HOME FRONT #1 (of 7)
Written by CHRISTOS GAGE, PETER MILLIGAN & MORE
Penciled by MIKE MAYHEW, ELIA BONETTI & MORE
Cover by MARKO DJURDJEVIC
T+…$3.99
ON SALE IN APRIL!



I'm guessing this will be kinda like the Frontline book that we saw for Civil War. Hopefully it's as good as that book was.

View user profile

88 Re: Fear Itself on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:16 pm

LOOSECANNON

avatar
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
the one for Siege fell apart really quickly..

View user profile http://www.comicsbulletin.com

89 Re: Fear Itself on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:39 pm

prescribeddrone

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Lesson learned from before : Avoid as as many spin off books as possible and focus on the main event book.

View user profile

90 Re: Fear Itself on Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:22 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Fear Itself #1 cover




^This symbol is still intriguing...

View user profile

91 Re: Fear Itself on Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:46 pm

comicgeekelly

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I hate covers like that where it's people standing, looking at something we can't see.

View user profile

92 Re: Fear Itself on Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:28 am

Aussiemandias

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
prescribeddrone wrote:Lesson learned from before : Avoid as as many spin off books as possible and focus on the main event book.

I, too, have learned this lesson. It's a rule I now live by in the comic shop. yes

View user profile

93 Re: Fear Itself on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:46 pm

Denim

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Fear itself Issue 1 Cover

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/theusernameiwantedformyprofile

94 Re: Fear Itself on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:58 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
^I actually really like that.

View user profile

95 Re: Fear Itself on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:59 pm

Denim

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
The image of Thor on the bottom half intrigues me, but I am tired of the "event" books.

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/theusernameiwantedformyprofile

96 Re: Fear Itself on Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:01 pm

Batman25JM

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Yeah, I'm tired of event books too, but I can't help but buy them. I wish I had the strength to skip them, but alas, I do not.

View user profile

97 Re: Fear Itself on Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:18 pm

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Denim wrote:Fear itself Issue 1 Cover

Gorgeous cover. McNiven does it again.

View user profile

98 Re: Fear Itself on Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:54 pm

prescribeddrone

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Denim wrote:Fear itself Issue 1 Cover


View user profile

99 Re: Fear Itself on Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:02 am

Bigtymin504

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
prescribeddrone wrote:
Denim wrote:Fear itself Issue 1 Cover



Yeah I remembered that too! Somebody is standing over Thor wielding Mjolnir...just like Cap's vision. Shocked

View user profile

100 Re: Fear Itself on Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:40 am

prescribeddrone

avatar
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Yup. Let's see if it all connects.

View user profile

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum