Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Green Lantern: Larfleeze Christmas Special

+10
Spazzy
LordD3r3k
LOOSECANNON
WhiteBlackDynamite
Sandman
rwe1138
JonSpangler
Bigtymin504
comicgeekelly
jaydee74
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Green Lantern: Larfleeze Christmas Special Empty Green Lantern: Larfleeze Christmas Special Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:23 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

So this one shot was so freaking awesome I thought it deserved it's own thread. I don't want to get into the specifics just yet in case people haven't had a chance to read it but let me just say this is my choice for single issue of the year. I loved it.

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm getting it today and I can't wait!

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Loved this! Poor Larfleeze.

JonSpangler

JonSpangler
Pirate
Pirate

I was pretty dissapointed with it. It was funny enough but I expected more.

The first half was good, but when Hal showed up it turned cliche and not as funny. Also the ending
Spoiler:
did not seem to fit the light and humorous story.

"Where Did Glomusus Go" was the best part of the issue. It was funny and I liked how they made fun of the various corps around the universe.

One more little nitpick,

Spoiler:

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I thought this was fantastic. I loved seeing Larfleeze all jazzed and ready for his Christmas list to be fulfilled, he tries to figure out why and I love the full page "Orange Lantern" cookie recipe. I also like how Larfleeze goes on his crazy hunt for Santa. I thought the second part with Hal was fine. Not sure what people were expecting for the second part. Did they think he was actually going to find Santa? I liked the message Hal gives to Larfleeze about asking yourself if it's something you really need because it's an important question and I don't think enough people ask themselves that. I liked the ending with Larfleeze wanting his family and I hope it's something that will be brought up again. I also loved the Larfleeze Christmas ornament. This was a great issue and the "Where Did Glomusus Go" by Art and Franco was pretty awesome. My issue of the year.

rwe1138

rwe1138

jaydee74 wrote:Did they think he was actually going to find Santa?

Yes, since he actually exists in DC continuity.

Green Lantern: Larfleeze Christmas Special 445px-Santa_Claus_03

Green Lantern: Larfleeze Christmas Special 372px-Santa_Claus_04

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

Sandman

Sandman
Ninja
Ninja

I once again whole heartedly agree with Jaydee. I kinda want to try out the cookie recipie and see how they come out...

remember in the one Green lantern book Larfleeze yelling at someone about bringing up his past and his "real name" so I really do hope his family will be in some future story. they only thing is unless his species is immortal to begin with I doubt it. he is several millenia old now

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I loved this! I'm a sucker for a comic book Christmas special, but this is one of my favorites.

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

comicgeekelly wrote:I loved this! I'm a sucker for a comic book Christmas special, but this is one of my favorites.
Agreed. I thought this was really very good. I think this is going to be my once a year book that I will be reading. And who doesn't want Orange Lantern Cookies?

Sandman wrote:I once again whole heartedly agree with Jaydee. I kinda want to try out the cookie recipie and see how they come out...
I love that they make two dozen cookies or one serving. That's just fantastic.

rwe1138 wrote:
jaydee74 wrote:Did they think he was actually going to find Santa?

Yes, since he actually exists in DC continuity.

Green Lantern: Larfleeze Christmas Special 445px-Santa_Claus_03

Green Lantern: Larfleeze Christmas Special 372px-Santa_Claus_04
Is this from that Shadowpact series? I need to find that in trade if they have it.

rwe1138

rwe1138

No, it's from one of DC's holiday specials.

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

rwe1138 wrote:No, it's from one of DC's holiday specials.
Ah. I have to get those too.

WhiteBlackDynamite

WhiteBlackDynamite
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Are those considered to actually be part of continuity? I've never really thought of them as such.

http://www.superflycomics.com

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

WhiteBlackDynamite wrote:

Are those considered to actually be part of continuity? I've never really thought of them as such.
You know, I was wondering that as well. I just thought they were just interesting stories for the holiday but maybe they are?

rwe1138

rwe1138

I don't know, but I've never read anything that specifically says they're not.

Besides, there's also this:

Green Lantern: Larfleeze Christmas Special 14417_20051202030748_large

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I want that issue. Now.

Sandman

Sandman
Ninja
Ninja

so is anyone else gonna actually try and bake those cookies? I will let you know how they turn out once I do

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm going to try them at some point. They look really good.

WhiteBlackDynamite

WhiteBlackDynamite
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

rwe1138 wrote:I don't know, but I've never read anything that specifically says they're not.

Besides, there's also this:

Green Lantern: Larfleeze Christmas Special 14417_20051202030748_large

Yeah, but that issue's just Plastic Man lying to Woozy about Santa being on the JLA!

Evidenced here:
http://everything2.com/title/JLA+%252360

Yes, I am a *GIANT* fucking nerd for remembering that.

http://www.superflycomics.com

rwe1138

rwe1138

WhiteBlackDynamite wrote:Yeah, but that issue's just Plastic Man lying to Woozy about Santa being on the JLA!
Not the ending.

"Heat vision? The imagination of some people..."

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Green Lantern: Larfleeze Christmas Special #1

Don’t worry; considering this reviewer spent the holidays away from family and hometown friends for newer faces and families on the other side of the country, I’m still in the Christmas spirit. Hollywood midnight mass? As splendidly entertaining and joyous as it sounds. Chocolate-covered caramel pretzel sticks? As luscious as one could ever imagine. Three-thousand miles away, I was still able to strike a smiling chord to those through FedEx, and free Saturday cell phone service to the fam didn’t hurt, either.

No, my problem with DC’s perennial Christmas Special is with the very lack of giving. Announced just a few weeks ago was the new pricing on their line of books. Yet, Larfleeze fumbles few laughs and receives a mundane moral lesson which halts the issue’s pacing as fast as gifts do for a teenager. $4 for a glorified orange cookie recipe (but if they’re any good I may retract this statement), a simplified child maze, and a surprisingly funny cartoon bit starring Glomusus. Those last two “bonus” pages were the issue’s best--but not worth the extra buck.

Luckily for many of you who waited to “hear” about the issue first before buying, I waited myself to review it after Christmas. So even if it was good, I’m sure you’re over it. While morality was never Geoff Johns strongpoint, fans may be impressed with the crispy detail leveled by little known artist Brett Booth throughout Larfleeze’s sleigh ride of extreme avarice. At one point Hal criticizes Fleeze’s wishlist for yearning a hovercraft. Um, wasn’t it Hal’s desire for airplanes that helped him become Green Lantern in the first place?

“I demand restitution!”

I should too, but I won't. War of the Green Lanterns will make up for any cheesy Christmas Special I could've just caught on TNT. With the level of consistent writing Johns continues to pour month in and month out, he’s done more than his fair share of giving. Expect nothing less from the best. Happy holidays.

2.5/5

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

JonSpangler

JonSpangler
Pirate
Pirate

yes

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Eh. I liked it a lot so for those that don't, I just have this to say:
Green Lantern: Larfleeze Christmas Special 400000536316
Wink

Sandman

Sandman
Ninja
Ninja

Green Lantern: Larfleeze Christmas Special 165118_629508682706_31505258_35389545_1504702_n

MINE!!

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Nice. How were they?

Sandman

Sandman
Ninja
Ninja

they are pretty good actually I added more of the orange flavor to it though and I added food coloring to the icing to make it look more orange

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum