Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Outside the Longbox: Kirby: King of Comics.

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Big Poppa Nick

Big Poppa Nick
Ninja
Ninja

http://panelsonpages.com/?p=33996

I just did an article on one of the best books out there about Kirby. Let me know what you think.

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This book's always slipped passed me. Been out for...2 years? Wanna get it.

I've always seen Jack Kirby as one of the greats, a legend of comics; however, it was only based on him being promoted as such and the vagueness of my knowledge on just how he had created so much. But, after the last couple years and reading at a lot of his creations, especially the New Gods/Eternals era of his life that you mentioned, he really was "The King." The guy may not have been the first to do so, but was definitely the most prominent in finally placing souls behind the capes and masks, changing superhero books into books that aren't necessarily about superheroes and supervillains. Giving life to comic characters by adding a humanity to them or portraying concepts by writing through the characters (giving us meta themes, symbols rather than characters), long before Moore, Gaiman and Morrison, amongst others. Kirby and Ditko really were ahead of their time.

This seems like something I'd really care about reading. Like I was mentioning at the beginning, Kirby's always mentioned in the comic legend line-up during interviews or articles or documentaries, but with hardly any elaboration. At least that'd give his work justice. And also has some of his bio? Sounds like a great to me.

Big Poppa Nick

Big Poppa Nick
Ninja
Ninja

This book is really good. I'm not a huge library guy, but If I did not have the funds, I would go that route. It really is a must for any comic fan.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum