Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Preacher

+3
comicgeekelly
Denim
Paroxysm
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Preacher Empty Preacher Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:58 pm

Paroxysm

Paroxysm
Zombie
Zombie

Preacher Xlarge_preacher

Preacher, Garth Ennis' ultra violent comic about a Texas preacher who travels the US searching for God and only finds horror, junkie vampires, and insanity, is getting made into a movie by Disturbia's DJ Caruso. How is this possible?

Earlier today DJ Caruso twittered that he was officially making Preacher:

My deal just closed on Preacher. Going back to the dark side and pretty fucking pumped!

Great for him. But seriously, how in the hell is this movie going to get made? For those of you that have read the comic, you know what we're talking about. Women are abused and turned into junkies, people blow their faces off with shot guns, and the comic is an orgy of gore and violence. Heck, the main character, Jesse Custer, murders his entire congregation (granted, he's possessed by Genesis, but still). We have absolutely no idea how Caruso can make this film without watering it down into an unrecognizable mess. But what we do know is that it MUST have the character Arseface (Preacher's break-out comic book character).

Here's a synopsis:

Preacher tells the story of Jesse Custer, a down-and-out preacher in the small Texas town of Annville. Custer was accidentally possessed by the supernatural creature named Genesis in an incident which killed his entire congregation and flattened his church.

Genesis, the product of the unauthorized, unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon, is an infant with no sense of individual will. However, as it is composed of both pure goodness and pure evil, it might have enough power to rival that of God Himself. In other words, Jesse Custer, bonded to Genesis, may have become the most powerful being in the whole of living existence.

Custer, driven by a strong sense of right and wrong, goes on a journey across the United States attempting to (literally) find God, who abandoned Heaven the moment Genesis was born. He also begins to discover the truth about his new powers. They allow him, when he wills it, to command the obedience of those who hear and comprehend his words. He is joined by his old girlfriend Tulip O'Hare, as well as a hard-drinking Irish vampire named Cassidy.

The film has been at Columbia for some time and was originally pegged to Sam Mendes. While we're excited to see what will happen with a Preacher movie, we have no idea how they're going to translate this cruel world onto the big screen.
http://io9.com/#!5767367/dj-caruso-directing-preacher-but-who-will-play-arseface

Shocked

https://www.facebook.com/people/Matt-Marshall/679612060#!/profile

2Preacher Empty Re: Preacher Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:01 pm

Denim

Denim
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I just dont see Preacher ever working as a movie. There is just too much to do.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/theusernameiwantedformyprofile

3Preacher Empty Re: Preacher Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:51 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I don't want to be that guy, but fuck this. TV series or nothing.

4Preacher Empty Re: Preacher Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:18 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm always up and down on news about huge series, especially with taboo themes, being turned into tv series or, worse, a set of movies that will have a harder time appreciating the story(ies).

That pic of Arseface has been in rotation for a couple years now. Think it's just a fan who's badass at makeup.

Had to look up DJ Caruso. Not completely encouraged by his filmography. Salton Sea rocked and Disturbia was okay. Just not sure what to think yet. I want to be "yay" about this, but feel no reason yet.

5Preacher Empty Re: Preacher Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:24 pm

Denim

Denim
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

It will be hard to find a studio that is going to distribute a movie, especially a comic book movie, where the main plot is abbout a group of people going after God because he gave up. I have a feeling should the movie be made that will be out.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/theusernameiwantedformyprofile

6Preacher Empty Re: Preacher Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:43 am

Paroxysm

Paroxysm
Zombie
Zombie

BlueMaxx wrote:That pic of Arseface has been in rotation for a couple years now. Think it's just a fan who's badass at makeup.

I know, just thought it was a fitting image.

7Preacher Empty Re: Preacher Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:07 pm

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I would rather see HBO, Showtime or Starz make this an awesome series instead of it being turned into a watered down movie. >(

8Preacher Empty Re: Preacher Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:26 am

Zeroskull21

Zeroskull21
Cadet
Cadet

I'm not believing anything about this project until I see a casting of at least the major characters (Herr Starr, Jesse and the gang, and maybe the Saint).

9Preacher Empty Re: Preacher Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:07 pm

Paroxysm

Paroxysm
Zombie
Zombie

Zeroskull21 wrote:I'm not believing anything about this project until I see a casting of at least the major characters (Herr Starr, Jesse and the gang, and maybe the Saint).

Well believe it because it's happening.

10Preacher Empty Re: Preacher Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:03 pm

Janson

Janson
Zombie
Zombie

Why can't it be both TV and a movie. Lonesome Dove style, that way they could tell the whole story without having to rush or cut. BTW Arseface looks freaky as hell.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum