Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Looking for some help...

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Looking for some help... Empty Looking for some help... Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:34 am

Help!!! I wondered if anyone knows if there are comics that exist for special needs children.

Here is the story, my brother is a 16 yr old with high functioning autism. For his birthday I really want to get him into comics. I know that he loves the Spiderman movies. I thought I would maybe get him started on an easier story line before I attempt the Spidey comics. Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you in advance! Smile Smile Smile

2Looking for some help... Empty Re: Looking for some help... Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:14 am

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

I don't know about special comic books like that, but you better try DC's Johnny DC line books (Tiny Titans, Super Friends etc.) While they're directed mostly at little kids, they're cute and fun to read to all ages, and most of all - easy to approach.

You should go through Diamond's monthly Previews to check for publishers that specify in children comic books, since that's a very rare thing nowadays.

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

3Looking for some help... Empty Re: Looking for some help... Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:20 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Marvel Adventures is a comic series aimed at younger readers, so the storylines are more simplistic. I know they print Spider-Man and Iron Man in that line, but nothing beyond that.

But, if he loves Spider-Man, you might look into MA. They've also got TPBs of the earlier issues, so it should be easy to pick up one single storyline at a time.

4Looking for some help... Empty Re: Looking for some help... Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:33 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Avengers and Fantastic Four too. I didn't mention MA because it looks to me like these books are meant not just for kids, but old-school fans too. They're considered much more fun and simple than other Marvel books, yet a level or two of maturity than Johnny DC.

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

5Looking for some help... Empty Re: Looking for some help... Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:37 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

That's kind of why I suggested them? Autism isn't the same as mental retardation, and a 16 year old would probably be able to grasp the higher concepts of the MA titles. But I see what you're saying.

I assume, DBCF, that you aren't referring to Asperger's when you say 'high-functioning autistic'?

6Looking for some help... Empty Re: Looking for some help... Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:33 pm

I should have been more detailed, he does not have Asperger's. He is almost like any other 16 year old, he doesn't get some social aspects of life because they just don't make sense and motor skills such as writing is an issue. Typing is easier for him though. So I'm probably going to pick up some of the comics and see what his teacher has to say about the level of understanding in them. You guys rock, thanks for the suggestions!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum