Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ultimate Marvel

+20
Tom
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Fresh03
Mnemosis
kidspider2099
Sandman
jaydee74
Debaser77
andy546
Bigtymin504
Aussiemandias
Thundermatts
shiky800
Ska
LOOSECANNON
Nymn
hrdwrkngXsoldier
lurchadamo
Batman25JM
prescribeddrone
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 11]

51Ultimate Marvel - Page 3 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:41 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Ult. Comics Spider-Man #6

Loved it! I havent' been so high on this series as some other people, as the debut issue really blew me away and a couple others were little more than okay until last month. This time, I feel satisfied.

If you're still complaining about the manga-esque art that depicts Peter as a 10-year old boy, Ice-Man as Bobby Hill not Drake, and Johnny Storm as well, Johnny Storm, then you should realize it's not going to change. At least as long as David Lafuente's on board. And I'm completely fine with it. Lafuente has storytelling chops, pushing the story at just the right pace, especially during action panels.

Even Bendis dialogue improves. Maybe the high school president and Aunt May's chat might look a little like this: "I feel ____" / "Yes." / "Okay." / "Well we ___." / "Okay." Other than that plodding scene--which is survived by some pretty great happenings towards the issue's climax, the chatting heads in the May household are sure to at least garner a smile.

Awesome ending too.

4/5 Spidey Webs - An excellent series that proves it's still the king of the Ultimate line.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

52Ultimate Marvel - Page 3 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:42 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

USM #6 was sorta okay and sorta not that great. Too much drama that I don't care for that much and not enough action. And I didn't get the ending. It needed more panels to be a bit more clear, IMO. If it doesn't pick up the pace, I won't hesitate to drop the book despite it being pretty good at certain issues for the most part.

53Ultimate Marvel - Page 3 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:21 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #5

More of the same from Bendis, the consistently entertaining drama of Peter Parker's life. The dialogue is spot on and hilarious as usual. I love this idea of turning Aunt May's house into a homeless shelter for super-teens lol. First Gwen Stacy, now Johnny Storm and Bobby Drake! I wouldn't be surprised if Kitty moves in at some point. Wink

I love the stories but I cannot get past the artwork on this book. I really dislike it.

54Ultimate Marvel - Page 3 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:38 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

prescribeddrone wrote:USM #6 was sorta okay and sorta not that great. Too much drama that I don't care for that much and not enough action. And I didn't get the ending. It needed more panels to be a bit more clear, IMO. If it doesn't pick up the pace, I won't hesitate to drop the book despite it being pretty good at certain issues for the most part.

Personally, I love the drama. It's my favorite part.

What about the ending didn't you get? The cops were narrowing in on Mysterio and he blew his place up to cover his tracks.

55Ultimate Marvel - Page 3 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:11 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ah okay, the ending just seemed a bit compressed and the art sorta threw me off. One minute he's having a convo with himself and the next page the place just blows up. I guess I rushed through it and got confused without looking twice until now. I thought the ending would have been a bit cooler if didn't just end so suddenly.

56Ultimate Marvel - Page 3 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:30 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ultimate Comics Enemy #1

I ended up trying this out and really liked it. Bendis is just the master of the Ultimate Universe. I never really followed the Ultimate Fantastic Four, but this issue had me caring about them quick. Watching Ben pour his heart out to Sue was weird to say the least lol. Would be cool to see them try it out. Also, good to see Ult Jessica Drew running around. Solid set up overall.

57Ultimate Marvel - Page 3 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:55 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ultimate Comics Enemy #1

I liked this. It was nice to see Spider-Woman again. I think there are some interesting stories that could be told with her (being a female clone of a male with all the urges of a male is very intriguing).

Is it right that Ultimate Sue is only 18? I thought she was older. How old is Ultimate Reed? He looked really REALLY young here. Much younger than he looked in the old UFF book.

I’m curious about what’s going on. I can’t wait for the next issue.

58Ultimate Marvel - Page 3 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:31 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Ultimate Comics Enemy #1

I ended up trying this out and really liked it. Bendis is just the master of the Ultimate Universe. I never really followed the Ultimate Fantastic Four, but this issue had me caring about them quick. Watching Ben pour his heart out to Sue was weird to say the least lol. Would be cool to see them try it out. Also, good to see Ult Jessica Drew running around. Solid set up overall.

Batman25JM wrote:Ultimate Comics Enemy #1

I liked this. It was nice to see Spider-Woman again. I think there are some interesting stories that could be told with her (being a female clone of a male with all the urges of a male is very intriguing).

Is it right that Ultimate Sue is only 18? I thought she was older. How old is Ultimate Reed? He looked really REALLY young here. Much younger than he looked in the old UFF book.

I’m curious about what’s going on. I can’t wait for the next issue.

I agree with both you guys. This wasn't bad. Basically all set up and mystery at this stage but I think it's not a bad idea to follow things up with some of these characters not being used in the other books.

I also didn't realise the Ultimate FF were so young (I've never really read their book). The way I've seen them drawn in other books they never looked this young (well Reed anyway) so I didn't realise it.

59Ultimate Marvel - Page 3 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:34 pm

Nymn

Nymn
Pirate
Pirate

Yah, they're all pretty young, I think their ages are as follows:
Reed & Ben: Early 20s, probably 22 or 23. I picture Ben as a bit older than Reed.
Sue: 18.
Johnny: 16 or 17.

Anyone check out Ultimate X? I know people harp on Loeb a lot, but I thought the issue was pretty good. In case anyone's wondering, the blonde guy on the cover with the Wolverine claws is

Spoiler:

60Ultimate Marvel - Page 3 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:52 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Nymn wrote:Anyone check out Ultimate X? I know people harp on Loeb a lot, but I thought the issue was pretty good. In case anyone's wondering, the blonde guy on the cover with the Wolverine claws is

Spoiler:

Yeah I liked it too. I thought it was a really good first issue, I'm glad Loeb started out by telling us exactly who he was, no beating around the bush. And I thought it was really cool how he has bone claws, but he can organic metal them up like Colossus.

61Ultimate Marvel - Page 3 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:55 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ultimate Comics X #1

I didn't hate it. It was pretty enjoyable. There were a few clichés, but it wasn't too bad.

I'm curious about Jimmy's mother as well as how he can make his bone claws metal.

I'll definitely stick around for the next few issues.

62Ultimate Marvel - Page 3 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:25 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

if this becomes a success, I'll get the trade

63Ultimate Marvel - Page 3 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:45 am

Sandman

Sandman
Ninja
Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:Ultimate Comics X #1

I didn't hate it. It was pretty enjoyable. There were a few clichés, but it wasn't too bad.

I'm curious about Jimmy's mother as well as how he can make his bone claws metal.

I'll definitely stick around for the next few issues.
yeah I was pretty interested in that too.

64Ultimate Marvel - Page 3 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:24 am

Nymn

Nymn
Pirate
Pirate

Batman25JM wrote:

I think there's a clue in the first issue!

Wolverine: "Don't bother asking about your mother. That's in the past and you need to start thinking about the future."

Kitty: "Peter...Colossus? He could turn his skin into metal, so...Maybe. Yes."

Oh snap! Looks like Wolvie and Pete had a time travel adventure where they went back in time! A rather...intimate adventure.

65Ultimate Marvel - Page 3 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:18 pm

kidspider2099

kidspider2099
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I just got ultimate X today and it wasn't bad. I'll read it for awhile at least till it's get canceled.

66Ultimate Marvel - Page 3 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:42 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Geoff Johns seems to have really dug Loeb's Ultimate X #1. Via Twitter:

"Wow. All due respect to everyone else, but Ultimate X just redefined what the Ultimate Universe can be. Bravo, Jeph and Art."

http://twitter.com/GeoffJohns0

67Ultimate Marvel - Page 3 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:01 am

shiky800

shiky800
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

kidspider2099 wrote:I just got ultimate X today and it wasn't bad. I'll read it for awhile at least till it's get canceled.
i thought it was a mini series

68Ultimate Marvel - Page 3 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:02 am

shiky800

shiky800
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

i think it said 1 of 4 on diamonds list

69Ultimate Marvel - Page 3 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:13 am

kidspider2099

kidspider2099
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shiky800 wrote:i think it said 1 of 4 on diamonds list

i thought it was a regular series my copy says says nothing about a limited series.

70Ultimate Marvel - Page 3 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:38 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Nymn wrote:Anyone check out Ultimate X? I know people harp on Loeb a lot, but I thought the issue was pretty good. In case anyone's wondering, the blonde guy on the cover with the Wolverine claws is

Spoiler:

Yeah I liked it too. I thought it was a really good first issue, I'm glad Loeb started out by telling us exactly who he was, no beating around the bush. And I thought it was really cool how he has bone claws, but he can organic metal them up like Colossus.
Yep, I enjoyed the first issue too. Definitely interested enough to keep getting it and Art Adams's art looks very nice. Pretty wary of Loeb's new Ultimates coming out next month though.

Bigtymin504 wrote:Geoff Johns seems to have really dug Loeb's Ultimate X #1. Via Twitter:

"Wow. All due respect to everyone else, but Ultimate X just redefined what the Ultimate Universe can be. Bravo, Jeph and Art."

http://twitter.com/GeoffJohns0
I liked it but I'm not sure I'd go as far as Johns.

kidspider2099 wrote:
shiky800 wrote:i think it said 1 of 4 on diamonds list

i thought it was a regular series my copy says says nothing about a limited series.
It's an ongoing bi-monthly book.

71Ultimate Marvel - Page 3 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:56 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

UC Armor Wars #4

I'm surprised this Warren Ellis-penned finale of Ultimate Iron Man is getting fine reviews. Sure, it contains quite possibly the best take on Stark this side of Fraction; it also contains some pretty art. What I didn't like was the cheap deux ex machina finish, a reveal that does little to register more than decrepid humor, and a last-second turn that's actually quite vague and disappointing. Without spoilers, I'll say, "just when you started to like..." Oh well.

As for the story itself, the last splash page from issue #3 gets worked under quickly, but can be easily overlooked when Ellis demonstrates his Stark full of butler sarcasm and sophisticated facetiousness. I just don't know whether any of the good things from this mini will carry on towards future installments of the Ultimate Universe. The abrupt finish might've executed those thoughts with a sharp guillotine. Like a fellow reviewer claims, I'm unsure whether keeping faith with this mini was worth the 16 bucks.

3/5 Bags&boards - Modest at most

72Ultimate Marvel - Page 3 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:38 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

UC Spider-Man #5

And the Ultimate Spidey goodness continues... This issue takes a step back, or step forward depending on how you look at it, halting the Ultimate Kitty Pryde reveal for a moment and shifting focus towards another neighborhood troubled teen, Rick Jones. Sure there's some backstory with this character from Ultimate Origins, but it's not a necessity for this issue's enjoyment.

There's a new artist, Takeshi, from BKV's Runaways, among other Spidey books, and his manga-inspired art keeps Lafuente's vibe alive. Takeshi's rendition of Spidey and friends is excellent both in and out of costume, especially that of McDonald's Mary Jane and roof-gliding Bobby Drake. His desire to use more panels, albeit those of bright and dynamic proportions, helps push along Bendis' character interactions with ease.

UCSM #5 might also be Bendis' best written issue of the new series. Cancel that; it is. I'm just surprised how much this series has won me over, despite teen drama never being my cup of tea. I guess it is now.

4/5 Bags&Boards - Can't stop, won't stop

73Ultimate Marvel - Page 3 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:18 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #7

This book continues its consistency. Bendis has built a universe of characters with depth around Peter. I love the take on Rick Jones...you think its a standard mutant discovering his powers story, then get the curve ball from the Ultimate Origins book awhile back. I also liked the art, the style fit the book just like Lafuenta's art.

Last edited by Bigtymin504 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total

74Ultimate Marvel - Page 3 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:06 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #7

I really really really enjoyed this issue. This book has rocked since the reboot.

I actually missed Lafuente's art. Is he coming back?

I just LOVE the dynamic between Peter, Johnny, Bobby, and Gwen. Great stuff.

75Ultimate Marvel - Page 3 Empty Re: Ultimate Marvel Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:57 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:UC Armor Wars #4

I'm surprised this Warren Ellis-penned finale of Ultimate Iron Man is getting fine reviews. Sure, it contains quite possibly the best take on Stark this side of Fraction; it also contains some pretty art. What I didn't like was the cheap deux ex machina finish, a reveal that does little to register more than decrepid humor, and a last-second turn that's actually quite vague and disappointing. Without spoilers, I'll say, "just when you started to like..." Oh well.

As for the story itself, the last splash page from issue #3 gets worked under quickly, but can be easily overlooked when Ellis demonstrates his Stark full of butler sarcasm and sophisticated facetiousness. I just don't know whether any of the good things from this mini will carry on towards future installments of the Ultimate Universe. The abrupt finish might've executed those thoughts with a sharp guillotine. Like a fellow reviewer claims, I'm unsure whether keeping faith with this mini was worth the 16 bucks.

3/5 Bags&boards - Modest at most
You know what, I don't think something counts as a deus ex machina if it was planned from the beginning. Ellis clearly had planned what was in that box as very important to the story from the start so I'm not sure I agree with you on that. However, I do agree that this was a bit of an unsatisfying ending to what had been a pretty good story and character study.

The big thing for me with this mini is that Steve Kurth is a good Iron Man artist. He really does all the tech and suits really well - I think he'd be pretty good as a fill in on the main title if Larroca ever needs a break.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum