Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

World's Finest

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1World's Finest Empty World's Finest Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:03 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

World's Finest #1

The art's fantastic. It's not top of the line, or drawn by one of the better artists in the industry. What it is, is perfect for the story. A one-in-done teamup with large panels, bigger than life characters, and action with a seeming clairvoyance. It pains me to read comics these days that either have too much going on in the panels or shots so poorly "directed" we can't see what the hell's going on. We don't have to worry about that here. As for the writing, Gates is known for his quick easy action-led reads. And for something like this, that you can read in 5-10 minutes but come away with a smile, that's just fine. Don't get me wrong, there's some good ol' fashion storytelling here that keeps in mind the continuity of DC while not being afraid to boggle down or not accomplish anything. World's Finest was a title involving Superman & Robin back in the day, so there's no better time than now to try this experiment once again. A sleeper that was not anywhere near my pull-list, I'll be keeping a good eye on the World's Finest.

3.5/5 Bags&Boards - Worth Buying

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

2World's Finest Empty Re: World's Finest Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:38 am

blue halo

blue halo
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Yeah, totally worth checking out. Kind of an old-fashioned, lighting fast plot that wraps up in one issue, which in a world of multi-issue arcs was fairly refreshing. I'm going to keep on with this mini for sure.

3World's Finest Empty Re: World's Finest Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:51 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Funny how the original World's Finest starred Clark Kent and Dick Grayson, and well...issue #4 of this mini stars...you guessed it!

4World's Finest Empty Re: World's Finest Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:03 pm

blue halo

blue halo
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

LOOSECANNON wrote:Funny how the original World's Finest starred Clark Kent and Dick Grayson, and well...issue #4 of this mini stars...you guessed it!
Hal Jordan and Barry Allen?

5World's Finest Empty Re: World's Finest Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:17 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

blue halo wrote:
LOOSECANNON wrote:Funny how the original World's Finest starred Clark Kent and Dick Grayson, and well...issue #4 of this mini stars...you guessed it!
Hal Jordan and Barry Allen?

Laughing

6World's Finest Empty Re: World's Finest Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:10 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yeah, I enjoyed this as well. It has some nice interaction between Red Robin and Chris Kent

7World's Finest Empty Re: World's Finest Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:42 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I enjoyed this. I was bound to though, I LOVE Tim Drake and Sterling Gates is fast becoming one of my favorite writers.

8World's Finest Empty Re: World's Finest Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:49 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

The last World's Finest was pretty damn good too. I like how all these books connect but are perfectly strong standalone issues. It was nice to see another writer take on Damien and not do a bad job handling it. No review here since this came out over 10 days now but I suggest checking out this series.

9World's Finest Empty Re: World's Finest Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:28 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

World's Finest #3

Anyone else buying this series?

The art has been awesome...and now Gates gets to write his favorite character, Supergirl. Her team-up with Batgirl isn't in the one-shot form we've gotten with the other books, meaning that Gates and company went for a more set-up style approach. Thankfully, there's enough interesting pieces moving--and a pretty sweet final page--to make issue #4 seem like a must. While this is a sort of out-of-continuity style book, there are enough elements that makes the story of World's Finest seem like it could be happening. And maybe it is.

Does this give us the Dick Grayson/Clark Kent team-up we've been waiting since the original WF's premise many years ago? Let's hope. This could give us new meaning to the term Superman/Batman.

Kara's easily the star in this issue, as you would assume with Gates as the writer; her many reflections of first meeting with "The Batman" and the tools learned from Bruce are used here, giving us a "meta" within a detective story. Stephanie Brown takes the backseat but still makes an interesting partner for the reinspired Supergirl. With oddball villains like Toyboy and creative chemistry between various superheroes, I wouldn't mind seeing more crossovers like this in the future.

3.5/5 - Very solid set-up issue for the big finale.

10World's Finest Empty Re: World's Finest Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:10 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

WF #4 - Another solid 3.5/5, for those who didnt' bother with this series, I suggest it in trade....while each issue serves as a nice one-and-done on its own, the last couple issues took moments from the previous issues to produce a nice climax for the story. If you want to see Dick/Clark team up and kick butt, it's well worth your time. Besides, every issue was $2.99.

11World's Finest Empty Re: World's Finest Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:30 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Issues #3 and 4 were good. It was nice to see Batgirl and Supergirl team up, as well as Dick and Clark. I didn't care much for the art in issue #4. Overall this series was good.

12World's Finest Empty Re: World's Finest Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:27 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

#4 was decent. What seems like a typical fight against another of Toyman's big robots, actually has a hidden story with General Lane and his upcoming war against New Krypton. Wonder what Lane has in store for Toyman? Like he said, it's something that's undetectable by humans and Kryptonians. Perhaps a model of Clark that'll be used to cause distrust amongst both races? Either way, these books have done a pretty good job of showing how well Lane is preparing for this. I can't help but feel the Kryptonians are going to get their asses kicked.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum