Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hulk

+13
jaydee74
Nymn
Bigtymin504
hrdwrkngXsoldier
comicgeekelly
LOOSECANNON
Rath99
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
shiky800
prescribeddrone
BlueMaxx
Sandman
Esbat
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

51Hulk - Page 3 Empty Re: Hulk Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:04 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Nymn wrote:Well, I'm guessing since Loeb had it planned to be him all along, it wasn't really a problem. He was one of the suspects for some fans soon after he was introduced (his "milksop" phrase, the fact he was recognized by the scanners on the military base, Ross mysteriously disappearing just as Red Hulk suddenly shows up in Hulk #600), so that was simply done to throw a curveball and keep people guessing.
If you write something with a set goal in mind, such as a certain character turning out to be the secret ID of another, then the only way is the best way.

But that ties back to my issue that by using LMD's there really is nothing to solve because there's no need to explain/justify anybody's actions.

Compare this to a mystery such as The Long Halloween (also written by Loeb). To me, that is a truer mystery because we had multiple suspects with similar motives. It just boiled down to who had an alibi and who didn't. There was no scapegoat such as borrowing one of Toyman's robots.

Again, my comment doesn't really have anything to do with the story flowing logically or even being enjoyable, it's just simply disappointing that this was the route Loeb chose to go instead of putting some real effort into the plot.

52Hulk - Page 3 Empty Re: Hulk Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:39 am

Nymn

Nymn
Pirate
Pirate

There was still something to solve. It's not like there weren't other suspects (Samson, Quartermain were on the list). Just because we saw Ross and Red Hulk together didn't mean it wasn't Ross, nor did finding Quartermain dead mean it wasn't him. Every mystery has red herrings to throw you off and keep you guessing until the end and when you have things like clones, LMDs, Skrulls, alternate Earth counterparts and what have you running around, anything's possible.

53Hulk - Page 3 Empty Re: Hulk Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:04 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Meh, agree to disagree Wink

54Hulk - Page 3 Empty Re: Hulk Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:33 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Incredible Hulk #611

Hulk - Page 3 Incredible-hulk-611-cover

Okay this was just damn good. A great cap to the story Greg Pak has been telling since Planet Hulk. The way he drew parallels between Banner and his father's abusive relationship and Hulk and Skaar's relationship was just really well done. Emotional stuff. Plus, I LOVE that it seems like the smarter, more sophisticated "Green Scar" Hulk personality from Planet Hulk and WWH is back. Not to mention, the art by Pelletier has be really great.

55Hulk - Page 3 Empty Re: Hulk Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:42 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Hulk 24 was awesome.

56Hulk - Page 3 Empty Re: Hulk Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:10 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I already enjoyed Hulk but it just got better... loved issue 25.

57Hulk - Page 3 Empty Re: Hulk Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:55 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Yeah never bothered with Hulk but loving the new direction Parker's taking the previously predominantly hated Red guy!

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

58Hulk - Page 3 Empty Re: Hulk Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:57 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

the conversation between Banner and Ross in the latest Hulk #27) was worth the purchase alone, and the backup gets a good kick in the ass with A-Bomb landing in Monster Island; you just knew with the infamous dealings Castle had with such venue that someone else would feast along with it...

if there's a crossover between Avengers and this book, I'm all for it...never was a fan of two books trying to accomplish the same things and making no sense continuity-wise...

59Hulk - Page 3 Empty Re: Hulk Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:10 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

As hard as I try to get less books, this book is too fun to ignore. Loving it so far.

60Hulk - Page 3 Empty Re: Hulk Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:07 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Hulk > Avengers....yet I'm sure the sales aren't saying it (Loeb's Hulk sold really really well, go figure)

poor Parker. I feel like he's Marvel's greatest underdog. I don't know the numbers but he writes all b-list titles that are just outstanding. He even goes out of his way to cover up such predecessors mistrials (check issue #28's backup for a "proper" explanation how Red Hulk punched out watcher Uatu.

much like Cornell's Action Comics, Parker's taking a left-spin on a traditional series and making surrounding characters--Thunderbolt Ross, Rick Jones--more fun than usual.

hopefully, some of you are reading.

4\5

61Hulk - Page 3 Empty Re: Hulk Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:11 am

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

http://panelsonpages.com/?p=32498

62Hulk - Page 3 Empty Re: Hulk Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:42 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

hmmm..that's interesting, I haven't really heard too much of that title lately, maybe i'll get the trade..

63Hulk - Page 3 Empty Re: Hulk Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:20 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Hulk - Page 3 1296591150

64Hulk - Page 3 Empty Re: Hulk Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:05 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Lightsaber Duel!

65Hulk - Page 3 Empty Re: Hulk Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:59 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Hulk #30
Ever since pleasing fanboys and fangirls with the Agents of Atlas (or, later on, just Atlas), Parker has been nailing everything out of the park. His choices are typically akin to a troubled player in the NFL: titles on the cutting room floor just waiting for a sign. That sign is Parker’s immense wit and b-movie humor. He’s sort of a cleaner Quentin Tarantino for our Marvel writing generation.

Now imagine Tarantino writing a screenplay about Hulks…and simply adding more sci-fi eccentricity. Hulk #30 is that, in a nutshell, paying homage to the good ol’ days of Marvel Two-In-One where Thing teamed with a different monstrosity every month. Parker throws the whole gamut at Thunderbolt Hulk—anyone else find it odd Parker also writes the Thunderbolts, no coincidence, maybe?—from father-screaming Woodgods to classically-intellectual Titans, with plenty of surprises in between.

Sure, this issue may serve no more than an extra gamma-sized slugfest, but, then again, that was the problem with Ang Lee’s flick—not enough brawls. This is the Hulk, after all.

The twist comes halfway through the issue, and unless you were totally impervious to the front cover, it shouldn’t be a shock how “Christmasy” things get for all of the Hulks’ troubledoers. The humor also barrels over when Mork-and-Mindy, Firestorm, Larry Appleton and Balki Bartokomous all pale in comparison to the bickering of a conjoined Banner and Ross: “…Something Samson once said to me in therapy. (You mean the guy who tried to steal your power and your girl?) He was a tool, but he was a good psychologist…” Priceless stuff, Parker.

Artist Ed McGuinness takes the enormity of these contests to the next level. Sure, he may have gotten a lot of flack back when Loeb was doing the book, yet that has to do more with Red Hulk pummeling Thor without a sweat and punching out Uatu than the extremity of his pencils. I feared the cartoonish style of McGuinness would diminish Gabriel Hardman’s sketchy realism, but that’s simply not the case. This sort of book just doesn’t work without McGuinness and all his over-the-top silliness!

With Marvel’s point-one initiative kicking in for the Hulk next month, it was smart to give recent followers a treat before the newbies jump-on. Despite the flimsy tag on this book from the last couple years, the Red Hulk’s title has made a great turnaround. Like anything from Jonathan Hickman, Jason Aaron and Rick Remender these days, purchasing Parker’s work is a no-brainer… even if the two brains of this compound monster prove too much for their own good.

3.5/5 - Very enjoyable

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum