Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Realm of Kings

+5
Aussiemandias
shiky800
prescribeddrone
LOOSECANNON
Bigtymin504
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Realm of Kings - Page 2 Empty Re: Realm of Kings Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:55 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Anyone read ROK: Imp. Guard this past week?

It was yet another good, fun read. I'd give it a strong 3/5...I don't know many of the characters but I'm trying Smile

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

27Realm of Kings - Page 2 Empty Re: Realm of Kings Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:35 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Imperial Gaurd #3

I read the book, I loved it. This series is really the first time that we get to see a shape and characterization fro many of these Imperial Gaurd members. How often do you think back to an old X-men space story and think of the Imperial Gaurd as mostly faceless, voiceless cannon fodder? This book is changing that.

28Realm of Kings - Page 2 Empty Re: Realm of Kings Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:01 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Realm of Kings: Imperial Guard #3

Yeah I'm really liking this book too. Gives us some good characterization on the Imperial Guard members that are too often just in the background. Its nice to see their personalities and the fact that not all of them want to fall in line with Gladiator as new Majestor. And I really like the inner conflict Gladiator is having about being the new Majestor. It was hilarious to see him imagining killing the whole council lol. It seems like a matter of time before Glad gives up the throne...

29Realm of Kings - Page 2 Empty Re: Realm of Kings Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:55 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Inhumans #3

Easily the best Realm of Kings-sported issue yet. While the ish steered away from further advancing its crossing over with the Avengers, DnA places other matters of importance into the hands of the family, all with desirable results. Unless you've been under a rock, you pretty much knew from day one (and that would be the Secret Invasion: War of Kings one-shot) that Maximus would be placed into his current position (to find out, buy it). Better yet, the relationship--instead of mere companionship--between the Accuser and Crystal is wonderfully odd. This is going to be comic's favorite couple of 2010.

While I wasn't too keen on Triton's "discovery" of Black Bolt engaging with his arch-rival, it was enough to keep the status of The Fault's threat going. Let's just hope the threat means a little more next issue, since we got the character-focused issue we wanted out of the way.

4/5 - Return to excellence.

30Realm of Kings - Page 2 Empty Re: Realm of Kings Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:23 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

Yep, Inhumans and IG were both great books, as usual, it's funny how often I take DnA's work for granted, they knock every book they write out of the park every month, so much so that when one of the books turns in a good read I find myself disappointed.

I'm surprised how well Crystal and Ronan are working together, never thought that combination would be as entertaining as it has been, again, thanks to DnA's writing and all of the character work they've put into those two over the last couple of years.

Kind of figured Maximus would be back to his old tricks again eventually, I knew he was too helpful with Groot a few issues back in GotG...

31Realm of Kings - Page 2 Empty Re: Realm of Kings Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:58 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:Inhumans #3

Easily the best Realm of Kings-sported issue yet. While the ish steered away from further advancing its crossing over with the Avengers, DnA places other matters of importance into the hands of the family, all with desirable results. Unless you've been under a rock, you pretty much knew from day one (and that would be the Secret Invasion: War of Kings one-shot) that Maximus would be placed into his current position (to find out, buy it). Better yet, the relationship--instead of mere companionship--between the Accuser and Crystal is wonderfully odd. This is going to be comic's favorite couple of 2010.

While I wasn't too keen on Triton's "discovery" of Black Bolt engaging with his arch-rival, it was enough to keep the status of The Fault's threat going. Let's just hope the threat means a little more next issue, since we got the character-focused issue we wanted out of the way.

4/5 - Return to excellence.
Fresh03 wrote:Yep, Inhumans and IG were both great books, as usual, it's funny how often I take DnA's work for granted, they knock every book they write out of the park every month, so much so that when one of the books turns in a good read I find myself disappointed.

I'm surprised how well Crystal and Ronan are working together, never thought that combination would be as entertaining as it has been, again, thanks to DnA's writing and all of the character work they've put into those two over the last couple of years.

Kind of figured Maximus would be back to his old tricks again eventually, I knew he was too helpful with Groot a few issues back in GotG...

Agreed with both. This was definitely the best issue of this mini. I'm really enjoying Crystal and Ronan's budding relationship. Crystal seems to be the only Inhuman that gets diplomacy. Also loved the reveal at the end, I knew it wouldn't be long before he started some mischief.

32Realm of Kings - Page 2 Empty Re: Realm of Kings Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:43 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Imp. Guard #4

Got to run to the gym so I'll make this quick. I'm starting to love this series! What appeared to be a conglomerate of relatively unknown celestial beings, an awkward Superman-cloned king, and sketchy, primitive art is turning into an otherwise stellar series. Abnett & Lanning go deeper into the personalities among the Shi'iar, whom in the past--to my understanding--have been nothing but bland villains. With time, and 5 issues to spare, Neutron, Flashfire, Starbolt, Plutonia, Smasher, Mentor, Oracle, Warstar, etc. are now likeable, at least recognizable characters.

That shows how quickly DnA's emperical writing can capture audiences. Kev Walker's art continues to depict the horrendous Fault much to the like off cross-rival Patrick Gleason's visuals over at Green Lantern Corps. Very haunting, and out of this world. This penultimate issue's more than a mere battle this time out, so if you've been following ROK, it may be well worth your time and money.

3.5/5 Bags&Boards - I know it seems like I'm giving 3.5 and 4's away like it's X-Mas, but the very few books I've purchased this week have been excellent.

33Realm of Kings - Page 2 Empty Re: Realm of Kings Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:24 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Yeah the exploration of the Fault has been damn cool...now we got the twisted versions of the X-Men. I really like the idea of the universe where life has overrun death and essentially defeated it. Its an interesting twist on the usual "life=good" and "death=bad" idea we see in all fiction. And Gladiator at the end was a total badass as usual.

34Realm of Kings - Page 2 Empty Re: Realm of Kings Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:09 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

ROK: Inhumans #4

What a roller-coaster ride this series is. Not liking the art change every month, despite the fact it's never been bad, but some consistency would be nice. Lots of groveling and mindless chasing...would've liked to see more of Triton and his fallout from The Fault...pretty sweet ending; it took me by surprise at the end but I don't think it should have.

3/5 Bags&Boards - Good, albeit not great. Should wind up a good finale, though.

35Realm of Kings - Page 2 Empty Re: Realm of Kings Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:39 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

RoK: Imperial Gaurd #5 of 5

Another trip to what I like to call Universe 23 or Cathulu verse leaves the reader just wanting more. The art pops, the action is non stop and we have some key twists in the story. Gladiator leads another contengent of Imperial Gaurd members through the M'Kran crystal into the fault on a resque mission. Gladiator helps clean house against the distorted versions of our heroes in this realm where "life has won." When another onslaught is evident Gladiotor looks for volunteers from his gaurdsmen to becom raptors to amp up their firepower. Still being played by the Raptors in their framing of Dark Hawk. They loose Nuetron in the battle and in the end we get to see the new Nuetron and the wall of tombs. What seems like an immeassureable amount of Gaurdsman that have fallen for the Shi'ar empire. This series was phenomenal in giving us a lot of character development for the used-to-be voicels Imperial Gaurd. It finished well and I can't wait to see the end result of a Cathulu Verse Charles Xavier with a venom symbiot attatched to it.

4.5 out of 5 Nuetrons

36Realm of Kings - Page 2 Empty Re: Realm of Kings Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:00 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

Yep, another great cosmic book, seems like I say that every time I open something with DnA's names on it.

Gladiator cleaning house was awesome as it usually is, the Cthulu X-men were fun to see and Gladiator's reaction to getting hit by Cyclop's energy blast was priceless.

As usual the level of character development was just fantastic, last year if I had seen the IG that went down in this issue die I wouldn't have cared one bit since they were essentially canon fodder, but this series dove into those characters and made them more than just drawings on the page and when they go down you feel bad about it.

The ending has me hyped about what's about to happen in the cosmic side of the MU, the fact that they've likely got to put a whole lot of trust in who was revealed in GotG this week just goes to show, no matter how bad things get in these books, you can guarantee it'll likely get worse, lol.

37Realm of Kings - Page 2 Empty Re: Realm of Kings Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:56 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

ROK: Imp Guard #5

Absolutely loved the character development and relationships that DnA have solidified in this mini. While I'm always happy to see mini's go--more $ in my pocket 'til another book replaces it--there was something deftly strange and different about this title that had me anticipating with sheer angst. This mini is typically not my cup of tea, especially since I have no backing knowledge of the Imperial Guard or even the Starjammers, so call me pleasantly surprised.

The artwork from Kev Walker also went against the grain; but you know, the scratchy surface art was the right match. Walker's zany stylings and celestial depections meshed with the Fault's off-hinged intensity and enormity. ROK: Imperial Guard was like the Faxanadu to GOTG's Final Fantasy. You know it's b-list in comparison, yet find yourself surprisingly addicted to it. If nothing else, DnA have given us reason to care even more about the zany cornered universe they have no trouble calling their own: the Cosmos of Marvel.

3.5/5 Bags&Boards - I know it looks like a 3.5-ratefest, but you can't tell me many of this week's comic books are breaking new ground. This issue was an entertaining lot, but really, other than the death of a newly-dubbed fan favorite, not a whole lot happened in this issue. But it sure was fun!

38Realm of Kings - Page 2 Empty Re: Realm of Kings Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:17 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Fresh03 wrote:Yep, another great cosmic book, seems like I say that every time I open something with DnA's names on it.

Gladiator cleaning house was awesome as it usually is, the Cthulu X-men were fun to see and Gladiator's reaction to getting hit by Cyclop's energy blast was priceless.

As usual the level of character development was just fantastic, last year if I had seen the IG that went down in this issue die I wouldn't have cared one bit since they were essentially canon fodder, but this series dove into those characters and made them more than just drawings on the page and when they go down you feel bad about it.

The ending has me hyped about what's about to happen in the cosmic side of the MU, the fact that they've likely got to put a whole lot of trust in who was revealed in GotG this week just goes to show, no matter how bad things get in these books, you can guarantee it'll likely get worse, lol.
Yeah great stuff. I can't wait to see all these various plot thread come to a head in the BIG story coming up.

39Realm of Kings - Page 2 Empty Re: Realm of Kings Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:40 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

ROK: Inhumans #5

Something tells me I'm not going to be the only one disappointed by this conclusion. The reveal in last month's issue was not nearly as menacing as Maximus' evil reveal the month before (solicit cover and all), and this notion that Medusa proved Machiavellian antoganist throughout this ordeal raised nothing.

Realm of Kings proved nothing more than an overexpensive interlude between the classic War of Kings and the Thanos Initiative. Though, as a major fan of the Infinity Gauntlet and War, this forthcoming event excites me, I wouldn't be surprised if the Cosmic U's fans are burned out. You could say the same is going on in DC's rainbow-ringed world, but with Johns we expect that. It would be nice on the Marvel side to get to know some of these characters a little more than just twisting and turning agendas. Perhaps that's why I enjoyed ROK: Inhumans #3 so much; the teaming of Ronan and Cystal made for the event's finest issue this side of Guardians of the Galaxy.

If this mini-event proved anything, it's that the Guardians ongoing should be here to stay, from now until eternity, that Nova should be dismissed, and that future mini's should be handled with more tender love and care. While DnA has proven to be Marvel's finest underappreciated commodities, you can never be too sure when future fans can be too fickle.

3/5 Fault Monsters - A little late for The Fault to make "sudden impact" with Thanos looming in the a few weeks.

40Realm of Kings - Page 2 Empty Re: Realm of Kings Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:42 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Realm of Kings: Inhumans #5 of 5

This is a story that pretty much hits you in the gut if you thought Madussa was anything close to a good person. I don’t know if there was a political statement here or not about the government staging attacks to improve the way they look to the citizens. (Oklahoma City, 9/11, and other conspiracy nuts would like this book.) The shock of all the other Inhumans at this was good to see. Looks like Madussa, Maximas, and Karnak were the only ones in the know.
We do get to see the effect the fault had on the crew of the Inhuman/Kree expedition into the fault. It wasn’t pretty, and Medusa even used that so put a political spin on it to her advantage. She also is taunted by Maximus to believe that Gorgon is acting too much as a leader than as a warrior and the Inhuman queen quickly works him over and puts him in his place. The issue concludes and we are teased at the end with what D&A have cooking next “The Thanos Imperative.”

The art in this issue was great as well. Seeley portrayed a truly sinister mutant monster for them to battle. You can definitely tell where Raimondi stopped and Seeley took over the drawing in the issue but the story is solid enough that it isn’t much of a distraction.

4 out of 5 Mutated Kree

41Realm of Kings - Page 2 Empty Re: Realm of Kings Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:05 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

lol, we're starting to become an ol' natural Siskel & Ebert here with our clashing views...

love it!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2