Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mighty Avengers

+8
hrdwrkngXsoldier
Sandman
Metal Misfit
Bigtymin504
LOOSECANNON
Batman25JM
shiky800
Administrator
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Mighty Avengers - Page 2 Empty Re: Mighty Avengers Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:24 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:I didn't like this issue. It may have been the campy-ness or something but the dialogue was baaaaaaaaaad. I stopped reading halfway because it was that bad but forged on, unhappy that I decided to. This was bad and I felt bad for reading it. And yeah, I'm well aware I'm overusing the word "bad" but this thing was so bad I can't think of any other word. My brain is so full of fuck now. So bad.... shake my head
Laughing Yeah the dialogue was very "Silver Age-y" but that's kinda been the M.O. of this book.

Too true. It never occurred to me until this issue, where I got slapped with it. Laughing

27Mighty Avengers - Page 2 Empty Re: Mighty Avengers Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:11 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Mighty Avengers #34

I'm going to agree with Wade, this issue was bad.

I absolutely hated it. The dialogue was WAY to campy, it was just ridiculous. Blake and then Thor talking to themselves and narrating what they were doing was too much for me.

Pym asking Loki to join was ridiculous as well. I can see absolutely NO way that he would do that. He'd have to know it would alienate the team. And as for the team, I can't believe they'd all run like babies after he asked Loki. I can see them not wanting to be around, but why wouldn't they talk to Pym first? It just felt wrong on all accounts.

Oh, and I cannot see Thor going to help Loki, especially after everything that has gone down with Thor being banished.

I'm glad some people liked it, but there was not one redeeming quality to this book. I. HATED. IT.

28Mighty Avengers - Page 2 Empty Re: Mighty Avengers Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:59 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Mighty Avengers #34

A book of such highs and lows, peaks and valleys. For fans of Silver/Bronze age, silliness, comraderie, and all of its self-narrating glory, this book might be a godsend (ha). For fans of current books, where logic overrides camp, you'll be the first to put this back on the shelf. Being that I'm caught up in both worlds, this is just how I see the title: middle of the road. Sure, for 15-20 minutes of your time, MA #34 is an enjoyable read. There, again, are a ton of continuity issues, but I'm so tired talking about it--especially in my reviews--that I've got no other option but to let them slide. They are what they are. For instance, Hercules is alive and well, beating down trolls and explaining to his fellow bredgren of Hera's news. Trust me, this book is as zany as it gets.

Like other reviews on the web have claimed, there are a good number of enjoyable reveals in this issue. Some of them come off rather weak (i.e. a cheesy way of possibly breaking up the team; Thor attacking the Avengers at the defense of his #1 enemy, Loki) and some very strong (i.e. Vision's remaining love for Wanda; Pym's new title could be a well-conceived prank). Also, the artwork from fill-in artist Neil Edwards is lovably Silver-Agey, and if you'd never read this book before, you'd think it was from the 80s--and that's the point. Though many of the facial expressions are way over the top, the styling is effective, especially during Jarvis' worldwide search for breakfast ingredients. Yup, this title is silly, even among the "eve" of Siege (grr) but that's how we love our Mighty.

3/5 Bags&Boards - A mixed bag

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

29Mighty Avengers - Page 2 Empty Re: Mighty Avengers Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:25 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Mighty Avengers #35

With the way this first issue of this Siege tie-in arc went, it seems like Slott is more wrapping up his Hank Pym saga rather than truly tying into Siege, and I think that's great. I want to see Slott have the chance to finish what he started, he's made Pym more interesting and likable than I can remember. He does still have Cho, Vision, Stature, etc. making their way to the fight in Asgard. But the main focus is Pym fighting his "son" Ultron as he takes over the Infinite Avengers Mansion and all of Pymspace. Like most of Slott's work on this book, this feels like another classic Avengers story with out there concepts that I love. Pymspace, Overspace, Underspace...and a VERY surprising last page. blink

30Mighty Avengers - Page 2 Empty Re: Mighty Avengers Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:03 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Mighty Avengers #35

Eh, it was better than issue #34. I wouldn't say it was great, or even good, but it wasn't god awful like the last issue.

31Mighty Avengers - Page 2 Empty Re: Mighty Avengers Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:13 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Bigtymin504 wrote:Mighty Avengers #35

With the way this first issue of this Siege tie-in arc went, it seems like Slott is more wrapping up his Hank Pym saga rather than truly tying into Siege, and I think that's great. I want to see Slott have the chance to finish what he started, he's made Pym more interesting and likable than I can remember. He does still have Cho, Vision, Stature, etc. making their way to the fight in Asgard. But the main focus is Pym fighting his "son" Ultron as he takes over the Infinite Avengers Mansion and all of Pymspace. Like most of Slott's work on this book, this feels like another classic Avengers story with out there concepts that I love. Pymspace, Overspace, Underspace...and a VERY surprising last page. blink

And there's MY review! Thanks for saving me time.

3.5/5 Bags&Boards - Cool issue.

32Mighty Avengers - Page 2 Empty Re: Mighty Avengers Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:57 am

Heytherejeffro

Heytherejeffro
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The cover is, IMO, the cover of the year. Seriously.

https://www.facebook.com/heytherejeffro

33Mighty Avengers - Page 2 Empty Re: Mighty Avengers Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:52 am

Sandman

Sandman
Ninja
Ninja

When how what the....? how did Herc Die? I did not know that and was lost on that point. I also had no idea what the deal was with the last page.

34Mighty Avengers - Page 2 Empty Re: Mighty Avengers Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:59 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Mighty Avengers #36

Dan Slott's character reinvigoration of Hank Pym ends with a bang in the final issue of this series. I loved every minute of this. Slott didn't shy away from using wild out-there concepts and making them all work. And I can't think of a better conclusion to Pym's journey over the last year and a half than to have a final showdown with his "son" Ultron. I also loved Jocasta in this...pimp slapping Pym ftw! Laughing She has real human feelings for Pym and sacrificed a lot for him. Plus, Pym convening a robot wedding was pure awesome!

I just hope now that Slott's Pym saga is over in this book, we still see this same kind of great characterization of him in the Avengers books going forward. Also, the status of Janet is still up in the air...

35Mighty Avengers - Page 2 Empty Re: Mighty Avengers Sun May 02, 2010 6:28 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Bigtymin504 wrote:Mighty Avengers #36

Dan Slott's character reinvigoration of Hank Pym ends with a bang in the final issue of this series. I loved every minute of this. Slott didn't shy away from using wild out-there concepts and making them all work. And I can't think of a better conclusion to Pym's journey over the last year and a half than to have a final showdown with his "son" Ultron. I also loved Jocasta in this...pimp slapping Pym ftw! Laughing She has real human feelings for Pym and sacrificed a lot for him. Plus, Pym convening a robot wedding was pure awesome!

I just hope now that Slott's Pym saga is over in this book, we still see this same kind of great characterization of him in the Avengers books going forward. Also, the status of Janet is still up in the air...

Good stuff, but for some reason or another I couldn't wait for this issue, and series for that matter, to end. I guess that doesn't make sense if I was liking what I was reading; perhaps its just all the Heroic Age solicits getting to me.

3.5/5 Ultron Baby Wipes - Solid finish to an up and down run on Mighty Avengers, but a fantastic run on the character Hank Pym.

36Mighty Avengers - Page 2 Empty Re: Mighty Avengers Sun May 02, 2010 11:21 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

Thanks for another spoilerific read, Marvel!

37Mighty Avengers - Page 2 Empty Re: Mighty Avengers Mon May 03, 2010 5:01 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Mighty Avengers #36

Wow! This issue blew me away. A lot of things finally come to fruition in this last Mighty Avengers book. Again with the lack of true sequencing to the Siege crossover there are spoilers within this book that may upset some people. The payoff for reading this title came through solidly though. I don’t know if anybody will ever write Hank Pym, Scientist Supreme as well as Slott has. The art in this book is also astonishing. Pham did an excellent job capturing the vastness of the underverse and giving it a shape…that shape was Janet Van Dyne. We finally get to see the entire scope of what the Infinite Avengers Mansion was. This is what made Reed Richards concede to Pym nearly a year ago. I had always wondered how awesome something had to be to surprise and amaze Mr. Fantastic.

Ultron closes in on Blackjack, Pym, and Jocasta with his army of brides. Pym’s intentions are discovered and Jocasta is not happy. It comes down to a battle of wits and the sacrifice of an Avenger. Afterwards Ultron leaves with one bride while Jarvis and Jocasta figure out how to go help the other mighty Avengers.

There is a flash to fill in some gaps in story that were in the Thunderbolts book, and this one actually made sense to read after Thunderbolts #143. Again the Siege story line is all over the place and the books came out in virtually no sequence. Basically Pym zaps in to see that there is a sacrifice being made, that US Agent is down, and that his team needs him. The final showdown of Siege is mounting.

4.5 out of 5 Avengers Assembled

38Mighty Avengers - Page 2 Empty Re: Mighty Avengers Mon May 03, 2010 10:07 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

funny, I read them in the opposite way...but I didn't think it made THAT much a difference...again, the spoilers...grrr...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum