Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

S.H.I.E.L.D.

+21
KingJoffers
rwe1138
Foreigner_Man
superdoug
Debaser77
jaydee74
Jango Fett
Fresh03
Administrator
Velociraptor DJ
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
comicgeekelly
prescribeddrone
Aussiemandias
Batman25JM
shiky800
Rath99
Mnemosis
AlienIncognito
Esbat
Bigtymin504
25 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

51S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:19 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Marvel, pulling a Morrison?
S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 12706710

Sheild? Spear? IBut those were mentioned in this issue of SHIELD.... Suspect

And there was some mention of the The Infinity Formula / Zodiac Event which was in one of the Steranko Strange tales issues.

Here's hoping Hickman ties this stuff into Fantastic Four as well. I smell conspiracies! Laughing

52S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:44 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I flipped through it and I'm going to see how this comes along and wait for the trade of this.

53S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:32 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:Marvel, pulling a Morrison?

And there was some mention of the The Infinity Formula / Zodiac Event which was in one of the Steranko Strange tales issues.

Here's hoping Hickman ties this stuff into Fantastic Four as well. I smell conspiracies! Laughing

Yessir! Hickman is like Morrison but without the acid. Laughing

54S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:38 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

S.H.I.E.L.D. #1

Man, am I disappointed. Coming off several phenomenal teaser images and bone-chilling preview pages, I imagined S.H.I.E.L.D., with all its high concepts, ultra-imaginative motivations, and wonderfully-detailed renaissance art, to be a perfect 10/10. Unfortunately, this highly-anticipated debut deserves only a 9.7/10. Why is it missing the 0.3? The protaganist is a mere reflecton of James Robinson's finest creation in Starman. Thus far throughout the illustrious exposition (some would refer to this debut as an extensive trailer), young Leonid--son of the Night Machine--has shown very little. If you've been following Hickman's work throughout Secret Warriors and Fantastic Four, however, you very well know that's his own doing.

Thankfully, that aspect of the issue is of little importance. The good news is--everything else in the issue is perfect. John Hickman lays out the groundwork for this retelling of the origin of S.H.I.E.L.D. through the eyes of its forefathers, along with all the great inventors, explorers and warriors that fought back against the evil many of our heroes (hello, Avengers!) fight today. Dustin Weaver's pencils are simply gorgeous. No need for ellaboraton.

I can't remember a debut this ambitious, awe-inspiring and flat-out fun since Morrison's Batman & Robin #1. While I'm no history of the world expert, or holster the most keen sense to sci-fi, S.H.I.E.L.D. in one issue alone has already jumped to the top of my favorites pile. Keep it going Hick', for I'm simply enthralled.

5/5 Japanese Celestial Undertakings - With one issue, S.H.I.E.L.D.'s already the finest Marvel book on the stands.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

55S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:28 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This was awesome. I'm not sure what the fuck just happened, but it was awesome.

56S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:25 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

Man was that awesome.

Hickman has again proved that my faith in him is well earned. The begining of the secret history of the MU was just spectacularly executed. This issue seemed kind of like and extended preview of what's to come, but every time I turned the page I was more and more in awe of what Hickman was laying out in front of me. All of the historical figures that popped up and the threats you see them running up against just made me drool for what's to come.

Weaver deserves allot of credit for this issue pulling off what it did, his pencils were inspired. The things he pulls off in this book are simply incredible. From Davinci's lab to ancient Egypt (which has a couple of surpise guest appearances) everything was just beautiful, Weaver has always impressed me but he blew me out of the water here.

If you missed this for some reason do yourself a favor and go pick this up, it's already a must read and we're only an issue in.

57S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:30 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Fresh03 wrote:From Davinci's lab to ancient Egypt (which has a couple of surpise guest appearances) everything was just beautiful

Bigtymin504 wrote:And the guy on the left of Imhotep, could that be the Ancient Egyptian Moon Knight?? Check out his weapon...

S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Shield-20100401020300158-1

now check out the statue of Khonshu...

S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Khonshu

I'm gonna love this book. big grin

Hey Fresh, am I right about this or just crazy? Laughing

58S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:03 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I enjoyed the first issue a lot. I can't wait to see where the series goes.

59S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:07 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

Hey Fresh, am I right about this or just crazy?

Oh, you're right, there's someone ele on the other side of Imhotep that's a bigger surprise.

60S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:22 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Fresh03 wrote:

Oh, you're right, there's someone ele on the other side of Imhotep that's a bigger surprise.
Yeah I spotted En Sabah immediately and geeked out...then I saw the other side and geeked out harder. Laughing

61S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:41 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Fresh03 wrote:

Yeah I spotted En Sabah immediately and geeked out...then I saw the other side and geeked out harder. Laughing

Yeah, SHIELD is officially made of concentrated liquid awesome, man it's been a while since I've gotten all hyped up for a book and it didn't disappoint me at least a little, this one said "Me disappoint you?" then it punched me in the eye and said "Never doubt me Cock Sucker!!!"

This was about as close to a perfect comic as I've read in quite a while, the only thing I wanted was more of some back story on the main character, but that's coming for sure knowing Hickman so I was able to look past it and just enjoy what was given to me in the issue.

62S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:55 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

Here's my problem with SHIELD #1... as much as I love the secret history of the MU stuff, I have ZERO interest in Leonid and the Night Machine as of right now. I'll give the book time, believe me, because... wow. But, yeah... the main characters are just too out there for me to care about after one issue.

Here's my other question... where's this going. It can't ALWAYS be about the secret history of the MU, right? I mean, they'll run out of historical figures. Is that going to be the first arc or so, and then have it jump to modern day Heroic Age SHIELD, and then pepper in the secret history stuff from time to time? I think THAT is what I'd most like to see.

Fresh03 wrote:
Yeah, SHIELD is officially made of concentrated liquid awesome, man it's been a while since I've gotten all hyped up for a book and it didn't disappoint me at least a little, this one said "Me disappoint you?" then it punched me in the eye and said "Never doubt me Cock Sucker!!!"

LMFAO!

63S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:46 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Fresh03 wrote:

Yeah, and the main guy has a Captain America thing going on.

That said, I COULDN'T RESIST:

Going for the obvious:

Spoiler:

Suspect

And so on the Da Vinci page (The Vitruvian Man page, the one with his "actual writings"), I looked about and saw this. This is apparently what the more legible part (bottom half) says:

Spoiler:

Hurm, the light is good, the darkness is bad, the light is knowledge, the dark...lack of? ... Suspect

Fresh03 wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Nice. Laughing

64S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:35 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

Here's my other question... where's this going. It can't ALWAYS be about the secret history of the MU, right? I mean, they'll run out of historical figures. Is that going to be the first arc or so, and then have it jump to modern day Heroic Age SHIELD, and then pepper in the secret history stuff from time to time? I think THAT is what I'd most like to see.

According to Hickman this is a Maxi-Series, so it's not on going, kind of like Secret Warriors, there is an end in mind, it might take 20 issues to get there but there is an end.

Honestly, knowing Hickman I'm on board for whatever he's going to give us, the man is one of the best up and coming writers going, the man made me love the Fantastic Four and I never thought that would happen, in my mind prior to him the best thing to come out of the Fantastic Four was Doctor Doom,, but he's made me a believer since he took over the book, and Secret Warriors is absolutely off the hook, no one has ever written a better Nick Fury and what he's done with the supporting cast has been some of the best writing I've come across.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Hickman writes it I'm in, no if's, and's, or but's.

65S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:39 am

Demonweasel

Demonweasel
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yeah, his was flat-out great. Yes, very weird and throwing a lot of new people and concepts and ideas out there, but I'm happy to be stymied. It's clear that there's a plan and I'm willing to walk off a cliff if that's a part of it.

Chockfulla awesome.

http://www.demonweasel.com

66S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:04 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Mnemosis wrote:Here's my problem with SHIELD #1... as much as I love the secret history of the MU stuff, I have ZERO interest in Leonid and the Night Machine as of right now. I'll give the book time, believe me, because... wow. But, yeah... the main characters are just too out there for me to care about after one issue.

Hickman seems to do this with new characters in the beginning of his books, at least he did it in Secret Warriors with all the kids. He gives you just enough to keep you intrigued by them, yet holds back a lot of their backgrounds/motivations initially. He kinda lets the characters grow into their own. He could be doing the same with Leonid and Night Machine, or maybe not since it was only 1 issue. At this point I'm intrigued by them and want to know why they're so important, and knowing Hickman it will all payoff. He's a methodical long-term story planner.

67S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:33 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

S.H.I.E.L.D. #1
Writer: Jonathan Hickman
Art: Dustin Weaver
Color Christina Strain

I don’t read solicits. So the entire concept of this book came out of left field for me. I was expecting a book about the beginning of S.H.I.E.L.D. Well it was but I had no idea how big it was going to be. I wasn’t expecting that S.H.I.E.L.D. started back before the United States, much less during Kang the Conqueror’s reign in Egypt. Hickman brought everything to this book that any comic fan could want. The art is as solid as any book out there, which is especially important when depicting so many different settings.

Unexpected cameo’s: Check
Interesting story: Check
Making the reader think: Check
New characters: Check
Discordianism: Check
Clandestine organizations: Check
Beautiful Art: Check
Fleshing out previously unknown info: Check
Pure AWESOMENESS!: CHECK CHECK!

So the primary story in this book is a secret city under Rome in the 1950’s. Things catch you by surprise over and over again pretty much from there. We get to meet the focus of our story, Leonid, and find out that he is much more than he seems. Speculators are going to have a field day with this character. He isn’t entirely human which is evident, but some of the panels remind you of Captain Marvel or even Eternity. This is questionable enough, but then this secret city in Rome is home to “The Undying Ones…The Immortals.”

Leonid basically gets the breakdown of both the beginnings of S.H.I.E.L.D. and another organization of the spear. (I’m going to guess the Spear is HYDRA’s origin.) Readers take an adventure through history with Leonid, in some pretty jaw dropping stories.

Flashing to 2620 BC we watch an individual lead his people into battle against an assault on the planet by the brood. Flanking this individual are that era’s Moon Knight and Apocalypse. This is also where we fist see the Shield emblem. And things just build up from there.

There are appearances by Galactus, Celestials, Tony Stark and Reed Richards’ dads, and other historically important figures. Leonid’s father, Night Machine, shows up and sends him on his path. You can’t help but devour this issue and blaze through the pages. And the ending just leaves you wanting more.

It would be a sin to spoil something this good. I don’t know who may come and find me if I did. I just hope that I gave you enough of a taste to go out and get this book. If you don’t you are truly missing out.

5 out of 5 ways the World does not End

68S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:44 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

Link to my big review:

http://www.comicvine.com/shield-shield/37-204514/user_reviews/?review=7286

I am kind of sorry that I had to cut cock sucker out of it though.

69S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:19 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Xsoldier, that's your best one yet.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

70S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:38 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

Finally at home so I can put the actual review up instead of just a link.

I repeat a few things I said on here but it's about 95% original material.

Click on the spoiler tags to double the scroll length of this page, lol:

Spoiler:

71S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:40 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:SHIELD #1

Loved it! The intro setting up some of the history behind the Shield organization was great. I really liked what Hickman did showing the flashbacks with the titans of history like Imhotep, Zhang Heng, Leonardo da Vinci, Galileo, etc. All these guys were like the superheros of their day and saved the world just like Reed Richards or Tony Stark do today. Speaking of which, their dads show up in this and are a couple of badasses...Agent Stark and Agent Richards! Laughing Plus, these new characters Leonid and his father are interesting too. That last page opens up some very interesting possibilities.

And the art by Dustin Weaver was great, his attention to detail is amazing. I can't wait to see what grand scheme Hickman has planned for this, I'm pretty sure he will tie some things in with his other books Secret Warriors and Fantastic Four too so that should be quite the treat.
You summed it up for me Bigtymin. Not many people have talked about it but I thought Dustin Weaver's art was just great here. I think he's going to be great on this series and if coming out bi-monthly keeps the art great then I'm happy with that.

I see some comments about the main characters not being too fleshed out but that doesn't really worry me. I think this series is going to be more about a big story involving a lot of different characters. I'm expecting the character development to be slow with this one. There's going to be a lot of players.

I'm really hoping to see more of these early adventures we've been given a taste of. What's happening to the sun that Da Vinci's involved in, waht the hell is that thing in ancient China and most of all I really want to see how Galileo is going to defeat Galactus!!! This stuff looks fantastic.

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:Marvel, pulling a Morrison?

You, sir, are going to be in your absolute element with all of Hickman's books then. I mostly think it will be connected more with Secret Warriors than the FF though.

Overall at this stage I would summarise the book by saying it's intriguing.

All of you here seem to have a lot of love for Hickman but have you checked out his indy work? If you haven't I suggest doing so because it's just as good.

72S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:39 am

rwe1138

rwe1138

Aussiemandias wrote:... waht the hell is that thing in ancient China...
A Celestial. Although a female one is a new twist.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

73S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:05 am

G_Zatara

G_Zatara
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This is a pretty fantastic idea.

74S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:58 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

S.H.I.E.L.D. #2 First Look

http://comics.ign.com/articles/108/1083147p1.html

S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Shield-20100412024902739

S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Shield-20100412024950394

nerd big cock Looks great in black n white too!

Sucks we gotta wait till the first week of June...but I definitely don't mind considering the extra time will keep Weaver's art gorgeous and detailed.

75S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 3 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:11 pm

G_Zatara

G_Zatara
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This art is fucking mind-blowing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum